Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been following updates and whatnot since early 0.17 and am always interested in seeing the changes in the new versions. Poison Needle nerf is probably a good thing. New god looks neat. Abyss changes are welcome, and then there's this:

quote:

Removed amulet of resist mutation

Um...What? What's the rationale behind this and what exactly are you supposed to do in Pan or worse, Zot 5? Did OoF get nerfed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

apple posted:

I believe neqoxec generation was reduced? Other than that there's increased cMut drop rate.

My gripe with no rMut is that the solution is to hoard cMut to deal with malmutate slipping through, which means your mutation list will generally be pretty boring if you get zapped with something bad (this easily happens in Zot), while rMut can give you a good chance of keeping good mutations, and planning around keeping them can be pretty interesting.

I'd at least like to see rMut come back without involving equipment, that way the whole jewelry swapping thing is not an issue.

Honestly, I think the idea of playing through the game as a mutated mess is kinda interesting, as long as those mutations aren't Teleportitis or Berserkitis. I think that's a totally neat way of changing the way the game treats mutations and I think it could be really interesting. Since I've been playing, since like 0.4.5, The 'correct' way of playing was to avoid random mutations even if it comes at a great cost, because random mutations can include the kinds of mutations that have a really high chance of killing a character if poo poo goes badly. I think if the game would shift to a spot where random mutations weren't ideal, but also not game-breaking at times, then the importance of rMut (rip) and cMut becomes less about total mitigation and more selective mitigation.

Edit: That's a really dumb thing I said. I guess right now cMut is probably entirely about selective mitigation, but I guess I wish there were less extremes in the 'badness' of the mutations, such that you aren't saving a dozen cMuts for nothing but the worst of the worst.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kinda sorta need a team.

I'm not picky about the nature of the team as I can't really commit to a more hardcore approach to the tournament. In some tournaments, I try kinda hard. In other tournaments, I die once with a character in the midgame and just kinda write it all off.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

Abyss Me Baby One More Time definitely accepts all comers, from the young and the fresh to the old and set in their ways (of destruction!).
code:
# TEAMNAME Abyss Me Baby One More Time
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)

I would take membership on this fine team! My alias in crawl is '[Already Entered]'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 6, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lost a character on D1 with Orb in hand because I didn't read silence vs two pan lords and the Ice Storm spam began... (one of them is LoS'd).

What painful loss. What a stupid death. At least it wasn't on a streak I guess...

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

If it makes you feel any better, all demons can cast spells while silenced. :v:

That actually does :D

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I probably have been complaining about this for close to a decade now, but getting abyss'd at low levels isn't interesting. Getting out is a function of how lucky you are and how many TP scrolls you have on hand, and nearly nothing else...Not that I'm mad. (I'm kinda mad at video games).

In unrelated news, I lost a streak to getting abyss'd at level 13.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dick move Crawl.

If you find a wand of heal wounds, but it's empty, the game will not flag it for auto-pickup.

On a total fluke, I did a search for 'Heal Wounds' on the game, and it showed that wand, sitting there, never picked up. It's an extremely small QoL change, but I think making tele/HW/Haste autopickup, even when empty, is a good idea.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

You can use it while silenced. THat's pretty significant.

Also, wanding Tele gets around blurry vision as well.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a thing I haven't had to think of for awhile.

How do I restore stats? In the back of my head, Restore Abilities potions are always a thing I have a lot of at this stage in the game, until I realized they aren't there any more.

So uh...how do I fix this?

Oddly relevant to our previous conversation: You can't read TP when you are brainless, but you can zap a wand!

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 11, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dpeg has an SA account? Well then, let me gush a bit! PleasingFungus, dpeg, other devs who browse the forums I don't know: Crawl is fantastic. You guys put in so many thankless hours for such a wonderful game and even though it's probably not difficult to find me complaining about stuff, that stuff is so, so minor compared to the strengths the game has. Thank you for doing the work you do -- Crawl will forever hold a special place in my heart. Cheers :cheers:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are you supposed to be able to land directly on top of our mutual BFF Gloorx Vloq when hitting his floor?

Is this Crawl's new favorite way of killing the unprepared?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Can Of Worms posted:

I take it you've never visited sunny Hellion Island.

The real place is not as pleasant as the ad makes it out to be. I try to avoid it.

----

Not too long ago in this very thread we talked a little bit about Gargoyles, and how good they are. Despite Frail x2, I contend that they are one of the strongest, if not the strongest race in the game. Look at this gear list:

pre:
rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    k - +9 executioner's axe (holy)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    P - +12 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    o - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    Z - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6}
SustAt .          Harm     .    g - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    h - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  ..........               F - +6 ring of evasion
                                V - ring of protection from magic
Outside of the gloves, that gear list is so incredibly average as to be depressing. Nearly all of that gear is effectively guaranteed in a 15 rune run, but I spent the entire post-end game tabbing through hell and pan. rRot, rElec, rPois+++, perma-flight, and 20 free AC are all so strong. Torment Resistance is huge. It's a bonkers strong race and even with so-so apts, that ceases to matter after your third rune.

Anyway, Grs are great and strong and if you've never dinked around the post endgame world before, I argue that a Gargoyle of TOS is the easiest race/god to do it with.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 12, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I went to install the newest release of Dungeon Crawl with my renewed interest and I realized my last installed copy was version 0.13.1 :stare:

I'm guessing a lot has changed since then? Can you play tiles online now or is it still just console?

e: It looks like they updated the logo at least. It used to have a cauldron or some such in the logo.

Online tiles are available and great. Check the OP for links. There are a great deal of changes. The new gods are neat and fun

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had very little luck in terms of truly outstanding gear, but this ring that I found on D4 as a HeFe is really, really quite a thing, especially to find in the early game:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thalamas posted:

Up to 10 runes, which is as many as I have ever gotten. Gonna take my first run at Pan. Read the wiki. Anyone have any advice?

Be willing to reset fights against the pan lords with Tele if things aren't going well. Don't over-commit to those fights.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maha posted:

Still on that DE blaster. What's more important for extended, Controlled Blink or Necromutation?

....Both?

I'm not totally on the same level of agreement on this with other players, but I value Controlled Blink a great deal since the changes where -cTele is pretty much extinct. I might value it a bit too much..., but I will go way, way out of my way for it if it's in the cards.

That said, Necromutation is really, really good. Unless you have an outstanding reason not to, I'd shoot for both. Necromutation is probably more important immediately unless you are exceptionally fragile, in which case cBlink is a strong answer to nearly every threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering what the role of Mutations are in the game now. I mentioned this earlier, but playing a dozen games this tournament kind of reinforces what my gut told me at the beginning. You just save cMut for mutations that will literally kill you (teleportits, zerkitis, shoutitis to a lesser extent), or you use them to peel away really bad muts (frail and friends). The decisions aren't really interesting since burning your last cMut on -2 Stat is obviously a big mistake, but acquiring one of the aforementioned 'kill you' muts without being able to deal with it is also dumb. I mean, this isn't really new either in that if you had rMut and got a really bad mut and had no way of ridding yourself of it, that's dumb too, so really I guess the change just makes that scenario more visible.

rMut and making it the default end-game amulet isn't nearly as interesting as the current setup, so I think the change is good in making amulets an actual choice, but mutations themselves are just really awkward. I still think the solution is to remove or rethink the exceptionally bad mutations and encouraging players to actually play with mutations. I think the metric I'd use is, 'If a player has huge gaps in their character, would they be willing to chance mut potions/food for a chance to fill those gaps?' I think if the answer is, 'Yes, sometimes', then muts are in a better spot. Right now, voluntarily invoking mutation is a bad idea 99% of the time.

• Locked thread