Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Rcfile is all set up for team Crawl of Duty!
code:
Crawl of Duty

1. Floodkiller
2. IronicDongz (Shard1697)
3. Wolfechu
4. jerkstoresup (jerkstore)
5. MOVIE MAJICK (wya)
6. Can of Worms (wormsofcant)

# TEAMCAPTAIN Floodkiller
Anyone can join (priority to any previous members of the SSS in any form), no skill level required; you just have to be willing to play (and die) a bunch. Playing for banners/the biggest mutation list is also acceptable.

Full up unless someone from an older version of the team wants in!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I just remembered that I should keep track of how many death scarab in Spider:4 deaths there are this tournament :getin:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Perhaps this is in poor taste, but, uh, yea. :haw:

:eyepop:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Might as well join up again! (wormsofcant) Going to try and beat my previous 6 win count.

With that, Crawl of Duty is full!

code:
Crawl of Duty

1. Floodkiller
2. IronicDongz (Shard1697)
3. Wolfechu
4. jerkstoresup (jerkstore)
5. MOVIE MAJICK (wya)
6. Can of Worms (wormsofcant)

# TEAMCAPTAIN Floodkiller

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

To those making team names, remember that ' and . aren't valid characters. You can only put in alphanumerics, underscores, and hyphens.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A Magical Lamp posted:

So I'm trying to get good at the game again in preparation for the tournament. I'm worshipping Xom, I'm in Lair and I'm frightened, everything teleports and he keeps tormenting me at inopportune moments!

A good Xom game.

Edit:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The idea is that they wanted to get rid of "swappable" amulets. SO no more switching to rMut when you see a malmutator, stasis when you see a paralyser, clarity when you see a confuser, etc. Most of the remaining amulets have some sort of penalty when equipped or removed to discourage frequent swapping, too.

They did significantly increase the amount of cmut in the dungeon to make up for it, at least.

They also kept rCorr as a ring, which is a much better slot for it honestly.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 29, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

i have to say, though: excellent lang choice

Buttlang is unironically the best addition to Crawl since I've started playing. The game just feels wrong without it now.

Edit: The butt just feels butt without butt now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When is an amulet of harm useful? Is it for nukers who shouldn't be taking any damage in the first place?

Always put Harm on, never take it off, regret your hubris later.

Zarick posted:

Can anyone make some good rcfile recommendations? I'd particularly like to see making the character dump as verbose as possible, as well as just some nice quality of life things.

default_manual_training = true
-This sets your training style to manual instead of automatic every new game, as well as changes the skill display to show XP cost instead of percentages by default.

stop = Your transformation is almost over.
-This automatically stops auto-travel if whatever Form you are in is about to wear off. Useful for Transmuters, Necromutation users, Statue Form octopodes/felids/ogres, etc.

tile_player_tile = playermons
-This replaces your player tile with the default monster one. You can also change it to display the tile of any other monster, for example "mons:Dispater".

fake_lang = butt
-Self-explanatory.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stoat posted:

Wait, slimes don't eat items anymore? I swear I heard a slurping noise! In .18 before..

Jellies only eat unseen items unless you are a Jiyva worshipper.

Maurice, on the other hand, is now the only monster who will punish you for items on the ground, as he is the only one that will pick them up even if they have been seen.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Give A Man Abyss And They Will Be Dead In A Day
or
All Men Are Equal Before Abyss

(all the good punny ones are used up :()

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

hm, did gargoyles get their apts nerfed to bring them into line with other species' power levels at some point

No, but they did lose their Statue Form special case.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

From what I've picked up from conversations on Tavern/WebTiles chat, gargoyles are an average/below average species because their HP is garbage and their aptitudes aren't stellar to make up for it (unlike spriggans or deep elves). Most of the advantages they have, however (like free AC, rPois, rN+, rElec, etc.) give the appearance of a strong species because newer players struggle with danger levels of certain enemies and adjusting their equipment. Having all those free resists lets them get farther than they normally would (but not far enough that the low HP starts hurting), thus appearing strong.

I personally think gargoyles are still a strong species despite that line of thinking, but whatever.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kaschei posted:

Ziggy Starcursed

The NaEn Who Slouched The World

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

yurtcradled posted:

WTF Crawl. Why did this iron grate replace the mini-stash I left next to the stairs on Depths 5 while I was clearing Zot?

Ctrl-F acquire
Can't find anything matching that
Ctrl-F Tempests
Ctrl-F cure mut

Of course I came back from Zot with blurry vision, zerkitis, and enough levels of air magic to learn Tornado.

It looks like the grate trap that occasionally generates on staircases with the intent of blocking you from stairdancing. I would take a guess that there is some bad interaction with the trap being generated that caused it to overwrite the items on the square.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Drowned Spirit engulfing attack is also super frightening because even for characters that can demolish the branch in general, those ghosts do some serious damage if you're not careful.

Unless you are unbreathing, that is (score another for gargoyles!)

E: Not to forget their built in perma flight with no penalty for it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

^ I know it's fake (unraveling bandages is for mummy drowning deaths), but I wouldn't be surprised if it were real.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Unless you're a mummy and you get 'unravelling bandages' damage in place of engulf

Crawl 0.18: Fixed an edge case where mummies could win

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 5, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Amazing :allears:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

I think you need no space after the #s

It's not that, I've got spaces in mine and they work fine.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

By the way, I've been on berotato for a bit now(long enough to win a game today) and my rcfile's set up but I'm still not showing up on either the tourny player list or our team page. How long does this usually take?

code:
# TEAMNAME Crawl of Duty
# TEAMMEMBERS Wolfechu Shard1697 jerkstore wya wormsofcant
is currently how the rcfile looks, though if you aren't showing up on the player page it probably is taking a while to update again.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

Oh poo poo. This started already? I thought it was tomorrow!

I'm missing one person on my team.

My current list is:

FulsomFrank, Static, MagicLamp, chukamok, rj54x -- FulsomFrank isn't on the clan right now.

Don't panic, it's still tomorrow!

Edit: Also
Do you have your 0.18 rcfile edited on CBRO (and waiting for an update like IronicDongz), or are you waiting for CAO to update to throw it in? Just curious.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Looks like CAO finally got 0.18 up, so everyone who plays there should update their rcfiles. The tourny starts in about 19 hours.

your palms get sweaty upon the sight of these guys

If your name doesn't show up next to your team on the Teams page then double check the formatting of your rcfile, and make sure you're playing on 0.18, not trunk!

Also make sure that your rcfile didn't change your team affiliation if you had something else in your rcfile for CAO, as it takes precedence first over the other servers.
(;))

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Still looking for members and a better name. I've tried riffing off the phrase "Drop the bass" but it's missing something.

Some more low effort ones I word replaced from song titles:
Abyss From Erolcha
Lost Forever in Abyss
Abyss Me Baby

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

You still have a week before teams get locked, so its no big deal if you don't get it sorted today.

Just an FYI, you got changed back to Wolf Pakellas, probably because it was in your rcfile for CAO on an earlier version and it carried over to 0.18 when it updated.

Also, still waiting on MOVIE MAJICK!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

4th win again, this time by over half an hour :negative:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

So on the topic of pakellas abuse: I just found another early antimagic weapon. If I'm at like 1/3 mp and I swap to it and artificially lower my max mp, does that improve my mp/maxmp ratio and give me better charge efficiency, or am I just fooling myself?

You get less charges if your max MP is lower. Note that this does not matter if you are a deep dwarf and are abusing the fact that recharge will always give you at least one charge back, even with only 1 MP, to top off your healing wand (this does cost piety eventually).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
You see here the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}.
_M - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}
_Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
 Time to lay down the shillelagh law.
_M - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" (weapon) {shatter}
Looks like this ogre's in the bag :getin:

I have a +5 ring of slaying to go along with it as well.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 7, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Jesus, Floodkiller. I'm at work right now, but still, go team Crawl of Duty! I don't think I even could finish a game in what, about 2 hours?

I got really lucky with the stairs placement on Depths and Zot, but I still didn't beat my best time of 1:53:01 and 42k turns from last tournament (and I still missed top 3 that time by 15 minutes or so). I think I might have wasted too much time doing Orc, in retrospect.

E: Although I did have a +9 vamp exec axe for that game. This time I only had a +9 venom exec axe for the majority until I got a +6 freeze exec artifact right before Zot.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Even so, my fastest time for a game was apparently my last win, and THAT was 3:13.26. I'm... not a speed player ;)

Honestly, I've played so many pure melee characters (even when it would be better to grab at least some form of ranged combat) that I've mostly ingrained what's dangerous and what isn't by reflex. MiBe just makes it even easier to blur the line and just go "Eh, Trog's Hand+Berserk, maybe a BiA" at first glance. From there it's mostly o+tab+a bit of gambling until the rune endings, Depths, and Zot.

Also, DEVASTATOR is up to +11 slaying, get hosed everything :fuckoff:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pinechild posted:

So I'm running a GrMo, took the Faded Altar and it gave me Trog. I've been having a great time punching things to death and using shortbows for distance after picking up a frost-branded one off a centaur, but now that Trog's starting to drop gifts, should I maybe think about switching to actual weapons? Does he ever give out ranged weapons?

Yes, Trog can gift launchers; that's why Kobolds of Trog are so fun, because you can almost guarantee that you will get a triple crossbow :getin:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

H - the amulet of Doubts (around neck) {Faith Str+6}.

It's for agnostics.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I saw one guy playing a formicid got orb of fire zig floor, 12 of them. Obviously he died. Is it supposed to be doable? I did only 3 full zigs before 0.18 but never got that, is it a recent addition?

They have existed for a while, and they are clearable. It usually involves multiple level 9 spells and some way of mitigating LoS (Fire Storm surprisingly does both with the fire vortex spawns), and having lots of HP and rF+++. This assumes that you are also worshipping either Gozag or Makhleb to either distract the OoFs as you kill the chaff with your level 9 spells, or heal up to full constantly. I think Chaos floors (the ones filled with pan lords) can be much scarier due to the random spell sets sometimes resulting in instadeath combinations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress Cocytus vaults that require crossing deep water with flying, gently caress cancellation being a Hell effect, gently caress moving over deep water/lava not prompting a hard Yes if your current flight status is fading, gently caress drowning as a thing in general :negative:

At least I got Pan so I don't have to go back there and play around mutations forever on my next character.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It seems like every tournament I gently caress up an extended perfect character through some sort of idiocy. A gargoyle dying to death curses in Tomb, an ogre killing Cerebov and leaving the rune, a formicid getting the iron rune first and then dying to an easy pack of enemies 300 turns later in Depths, and now a demonspawn drowning because I lagged through the 2 turn warning of Hell cancelling my flight. I'm now wondering how bad I can gently caress up next tournament (or if I've still got more in me for this one)!

On a side note, I was reading a Tavern thread and chuckled at the name Captain Tedium, so now I'm trying to think of Justice League/Avengers puns for HOM clans.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

All this and I'm still chumping Panlords. :boom:

How are you still alive :stare:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

Is there a good way to utilize the sceptre of torment on a ghoul? I already have my unarmed all the way up and am doing fine, but I've never managed to use it and was wondering if there's a way to proc it easily without investing a bunch of points or is it another evocations and staves kind of thing.

It goes off on 50% of all attacks and a 1/200 chance every turn otherwise (while wielded, of course), no evocations investment required.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i dunno when the 'convert or die' mechanic got added in but it inspired me to give a beogh worshiper a serious try and now that i've actually gotten far enough for rune acquisition to be within sights i gotta ask on the off chance i'm wrong: bringing my worshiper pals to shoals would be an awful idea wouldn't it

Shoals is probably the nicest Lair branch you could bring your orcs to, in my opinion. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, but it isn't terrible.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gammafunk posted:

Tournament progress update: The first game I played in the tourney was a Nemelex Choice, which I won. Of the chars that PleasingFungus played that made it to XL10, he splatted 4 in a row before eking out a win. After killing a Halfling that made it to XL17 (his second death in a row of an XL16+ character), he came to the dev channel to try to start a discussion about removing Halflings. These are all facts.

I wouldn't miss em.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

devs shouldn't be allowed to die, imo. it's very unfair.

I thought you guys had wizmode access on servers, though?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

There, I didn't die to your spider ending with the dozen scarab beetles f u

Zombie death scarabs probably beat regular ones hands down, like harpies and bats I guess

How did the death scarabs become zombies? Unless you raised them yourself, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Here's a thing I haven't had to think of for awhile.

How do I restore stats? In the back of my head, Restore Abilities potions are always a thing I have a lot of at this stage in the game, until I realized they aren't there any more.

So uh...how do I fix this?

Oddly relevant to our previous conversation: You can't read TP when you are brainless, but you can zap a wand!

If you weren't in a Zig, you could swap to Ely and Restore, then swap back to TSO (or make a pit stop with Zin to donate so you can swap back to TSO at a higher piety level).

• Locked thread