Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sold all the stuff I took to the Pate Swap Meet last weekend, so more space in the garage/shed, and a little extra cash that I spent on more tools (nothing fantastic - just filled out my socket set, new racks for said sockets to go in new big toolbox bought a few months ago) and some Hot Rod Satin Black to paint my Cutlass so it's all one easy-to-maintain color.

I believe that I posted a week or so ago that I had to have a tooth removed - well, they did the grinding and whatnot for the caps to make the bridge, did the molds, and put in a temporary bridge. Yesterday I learned that burning teeth smell EXACTLY like burning hair, from empirical evidence. Today, I broke off the filler tooth and swallowed it, despite chewing on the opposite side of the mouth. Caps are still OK, just the bond between one cap and the filler failed. I certainly home the permanent bridge is more durable. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Don't you love that Peter Fernandez kept the same tune for the English version?
I do prefer the engine sounds on the English version - the Japanese version doesn't sound like the V12 that the Mach 5 is supposed to have.

meatpimp posted:

Those chunks aren't supposed to be there.

They are, just not in that arrangement

e: fb.

Condolences to LAF and SSS. I need to go hug my grandmothers now.

fyodor posted:

Ok creepy dude :thumbsup:

Back to chat, this 3-wheeler for $80,000 has been making me :stare: since I saw one. 3-wheels of fun but jesus christ it's a 3-wheeler for $80k+.

Is that really the best they could do for the front end? The rest of the body looks pretty good, but it just looks like the chopped the front off.
And yeah. LOL $80K.

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.

I enjoyed it, but I was already a fan of the franchise from waaaay back. I felt that the movie pretty much captured the tone, feel, and very much, the vibrancy of the cartoon. I think that's what they were really going for. The bright colors and sheer lunacy.
Come to think of it, I don't think I have that on Blu-Ray. I need to fix that.

Sigma X posted:

Goddrat the intro to the new Crossthreaded is great. I love the throwaway line about Mustangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDQC0jdUoM

This guy is so one of us, evidenced by the OEM clutch line getting the finger once it was removed.
And yeah, the Patrick Swayze posters.

sharkytm posted:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

For the love of god someone take away my checkbook.

Missing a few tubes there, but sweet 13B-REW! Does it run? Engine OK?

leica posted:

Of course, that's the way it has to happen. My son will get a dumb phone whether he likes it or not, he can get an iPhone when he gets a job :v:

My 14-year old daughter got an iPhone for her last birthday in November, but it was my 4s when I pried a 5 out of the woodwork for free from work. She's perfectly happy with it as long as it plays YouTube videos. She's also aware of what happens when she loses her stuff - she's lost a Nintendo DS and her MP3 player, and neither got replaced until she bought her own (used) 3Ds (she just kept bugging my wife to borrow her iPhone...)
Oh, and first thing I did was make sure that Find My iPhone was on, and added her to iTunes/iCloud Family.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Lettuce wraps a pretty tasty, no lie, but loving being a lettuce nazi.

Just finished taking a licensing test to teach special education and I feel like I did really well on it. Will have results in 17 days, and it'll open more teaching doors for me.

Car-related: Parents own a 2006 XC90 with the 2.5T engine. Stepdad was trying to do a tuneup on it, but told me there was a bar over the engine. Turns out, it's a pipe for the intercooler. It's not filled with coolant or anything is it? I am not exactly sure what an intercooler is, though I suspect it helps cool / provide cooler air for the turbo.

Either way, stepdad would rather pay some shifty mechanic 30 bucks to change the plugs than pay the same amount (or less) for the two torx bits he needs. Too bad they live 3 hours away and they didn't tell me about it before I visited, otherwise I'd have brought my own tools and changed them for him. It's running really rough, and throwing a CEL that he says says misfire on multiple/all cylinders. My money would be on MAF being bad since he previously had a code for that(I think, he's not good at describing things...) and tried to clean it. Probably bad and not dirty, but I have no clue; plugs are cheaper than a MAF.

Note: Dude just did all this without my input. Not that he has to answer to me or anything like that; I just showed up for mother's day and he was all "hey car's running rough, what's this so I can change plugs?"

How did he try to clean the MAF? Some of them are very sensitive about how and with what they are cleaned (I know nothing about modern Volvos - just general EFI stuff.) There are spray cleaners specifically for cleaning MAFs.
And the intercooler itself should be near the radiator - that's just a charge pipe, AKA intake piping. Loosen clamps, pop off, do whatever, replace, tighten clamps.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, there was a bit of brief but violent weather here in Texas on Tuesday.
My oak tree, which had even just been trimmed, did not appreciate it:

There were another couple of limbs almost as large on the roof, but this one bit my car:

Also time to get a new cover for the bike, but it was already starting to shred.
poo poo was raining sideways. Best part is I was only parked there to load up my jack and tools to go change a tire for my wife 30 minutes away (she can do it herself normally, but her back has been giving her serious poo poo lately, and it was raining like a motherfucker.) Normally I park on the street of further back.
By the time it eased up enough to get loaded up, the rain had passed where she was and a nice security dude at the college swapped on the apre for here (she already had it out and the jack under the car - like I said, she tried before calling me.)
Fortunately, finding a white right-front Crown Vic fender shouldn't be difficult.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Got back about an hour or so ago from taking my wife to have surgery done for a deviated septum. They told her that there would be some pain, but holy gently caress. She moaned, whined, and whimpered the entire way home and better than a half-hour after that. She's still sporadically doing it, after a Tylenol 3. It's setting off every protective defend-your-mate instinct I have something fierce. I'm incredibly tense, and I'm almost shaking. I haven't had this level of impotent rage in some time - drat near Hulk Smash levels. I want to kill something for hurting my wife, but there's nobody to kill. If someone were to cross me right now my response would be WAY out of proportion.
gently caress, I don't know if I can handle this.

Next time someone else is playing nursemaid - I get far too emotionally involved.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm missing some context here, what was the cause? Did someone punch your wife?

No, no - she's in pain from the surgery for a deviated septum, letting it be known, and there's really nothing I can do about it, which is personally frustrating.

Thankfully, my step-mother-in-law has shown up to help.
My bedside manner is awful, if it even exists.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Also the only thing I've ever heard of deviated septum a from is coke and piercings, what the heck happened that she got one??

Congenital, in her case, apparently. Nobody really looked until now. Took a CT scan to show the problem. The bone in the middle was wider and offset, nearly blocking off one side of her sinuses. I'd have to look at the paperwork again to say exactly what procedures were performed, but it amounted to "making opening to sinuses bigger". She's much better today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Glad to hear! :3:

Thanks!

The Locator posted:

Pretty much the same deal as mine was. Found in a CT scan that was to look at my sinus turbinates. I ended up having surgery on both things at the same time, and it was pretty miserable the day of, but got better rapidly in the following day. Hopefully your wife will see rapid recovery and be able to breath much better!
Yeah, that the thing they looked at.
Good Lord, yesterday afternoon was nighmarish, though.

Regarding the ageism thing, I'm more than a little bit concerned now. I'm 46, and still a PC/Mac janitor, so...
I have no interest in management, so I guess I've painted myself into a corner. At least the Mac part there puts me a little up the ladder.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Also, just missed a call from Frontier (caller ID shows the same number I called to set up service)... they left a voicemail saying "your worst nightmare" in a creepy voice. :stare: Their call center supes are pulling call recordings now.

Bet it's one of the guys you used to work with in the call center at Frontier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Welp, Sonic had a good run

Someone gave me a v AI title though

What in..? Why is that even a thing?
I mean, I like boobs, and I like cars, but - Miata boobs?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

i have the terrible car thread to thank for this wonderful title

Yep, just found those posts. Now I understand that it could have been worse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Blasted garage door opener decided it didn't want to hear any of the remotes, including the wireless keypad, the other day. Works flawlessly otherwise, and is quiet. I seem to recall that it's a screw-driven type, but danged if I'm sure. It's fairly quiet.
the thing came with the house when I bought it 16 years ago. I hate to replace a mechanically working one, so I've been looking at add-on radios and such. $50-100 after two remotes and a keypad. Home Despot has a Chamberlain chain-drive with two remotes and keypad for $160, and a belt drive for $190. I'm really eyeballing the new Ryobi, though. $250, but that's with an accessory of your choice (I like the cord reel), and another $30-40 buys you a Ryobi cordless tool battery that makes the thing work with the power out. Better still, at that price point, it's already WiFi and app-connected. Tempting. The Chamberlains will do that, but it's another $50 for the WiFi box.
I'd really rather spend money elsewhere, but if I gotta spend it..

Anyone have happy/not happy about their garage door opener? What's good/bad/ugly?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

People spend more than $20 on jeans?

Why?

Jesus, they're work pants. Buy cheap jeans, beat them to death, then buy more cheap jeans.

This. Even the &20 jeans last for years for me. Once they get holes they become the working-on-car pair, and I get a new pair for daily use.

Decided to just get an add-on receiver and remotes for the garage door opener, since it's a nice screw-type, and working well beyond the radio deafness. Would have loved one of the shaft mount ones, but $$.

I then used the $$ I didn't spend on the garage door opener to buy a new AV receiver, since my 10-year old Harman-Kardon decided to stop routing HDMI. It only had two HDMI anyway. Even the cheapest one (which I got, pretty much) have at least 4. And aren't weird about displaying the OSD on HDMI, and other stuff like that. The HK will likely become a garage stereo.

Will contribute to the CSB fund when I'm at a real computer. That seriously sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Marry that wo... Oh, right.

That's the way to do it, screw those stupid expensive-rear end rings.

My parents went with basic no-frills gold rings when they got engaged, and they used them as wedding rings, too. There's absolutely no sense in going into debt for jewelry.

My wife and I went with basic gold rings for wedding wring - i think I spent $200 on both - and an engagement ring with a tiny little chip of diamond in a mount that made it look fancier. Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't like diamonds, she likes pretty colored stones.
Last year, she bought us both tungsten carbide rings with a stainless design under resin inlaid. The resin has gotten a little scratched, though less than I expected, but the tungsten carbide is marvelous.Not a scratch and still as shiny as the day we got them. Cool stuff.

scuz posted:

That looks like really stupid engineering to me. IF ball joint failure THEN drive axle damage. :confused:

Any engineer that put ball joints in tension needs to spend time in a fire. I mean, they still can fail like that when in compression, but it's a lot less likely.

e: and yeah, I realize that it takes some abuse to get to that point anyway. I still prefer fail-safe(or safer, anyway).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh look, reason 1,431 that comic books are loving stupid

Steve Rogers was Hydra all along? In a long line of stupid that's right up there

I'm not even a comic-book guy, really, particularly capes and tights, but I know what Captain America is and was, and this is just incredibly loving stupid.
I'd agree with some of the articles that say not to worry about it, since i will likely be retconned or he's a triple-agent or whatever, but that doesn't stop the initial idea from being beyond stupid.

kastein posted:

I carry the most aristocratic of pocketwatches

It is GPS synchronized, synchs itself to my email and calendar, contains several billion nanometer-scale etched detail filligrees on the purest commercially available substance in the world, allows me to communicate with my friends via SMS, voice, and video, and has a full QWERTY keyboard to allow me to compose shitposts on this fine comedy forum in comfort. It also allows me to SSH to my server and administer my webhosting, and chat on IRC

Also I can use it to play music in my car anywhere in the world

Truly a technological wonder of the modern world :smug:

What I'm saying is I have a $60 LG Enact in my pocket right now

I am so using this.
I stopped wearing a watch shortly after I started carrying a phone.
When I did wear a watch, I got two of the Timex analog/digital models, both internally the same, but one in stainless with a stainless band, for business, and one plastic with a leather band, for casual. They were $20-30 each, and have never broken. I like the analog watches, but actually used the timer, stopwatch, and alarms, so these worked out well for me. They're both still in my valet, though I think one needs a battery.
Really want an Apple Watch, though not enough to fork over cash (yet.)

My phone picks up roughly a minute and a half per day. :colbert:

And now that Amazon has banned rooted phones (... along with any Nexus and Huawei device, and several HTC phones, since their programmers are loving dipshits), I can no longer run ClockSync a couple of times a day to keep it reasonably synced. :fuckoff:

The gently caress? Why?

MustardFacial posted:

Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

Congratulations.
My daughter is 14, and I'm still not sure if I've hosed up. She seems to be OK, other than a bit Spergey (for real.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

If you like guitars, music, Metallica, or just cool poo poo period, then watch this video.

https://youtu.be/yzwPZ27ju5I

OK, that was just fuckin' cool.
The rest of his channel is... interesting, as well. Banjo and Ukulele covers of Metallica, anyone?

annnnd just spat out a tooth.

Jeez, I just had to have mine pulled 'cuz it was floating around unanchored. Still waiting on the damned lab to deliver the bridge.

Raluek posted:

Money, probably. A lot of jobs don't have very good dental insurance, and for some reason dental isn't considered part of health.

That's the part that startled me. Deductable on my health insurance is $3500. Max PAYOUT (not max out of pocket) is $3500 on the dental. Madness! I'm halfway there with just this extraction and bridge. Biannual cleanings are free at least.

Windows 10: I let my Mac Pro's Windows partition upgrade last week. So far, not bad. No major probs despite being a Mac, and one old enough to not have official Apple Boot Camp drivers for 10.

e: almost forgot - did a car thing over the weekend. Basically washed and cleaned up around my '79 RX-7 (with blown engine) so I could put a car cover on it. It was gathering junk in the body seams, and starting to collect smutz on what was left of the paint. I just put a cheap one-layer cover on it, but it will keep leaves and dirt out, for the most part. Felt good to do something for the poor, disabled thing. Now to sell some of my other junk to fix that one.

e2: June thread already?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 1, 2016

• Locked thread