Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

literally a fish posted:

Your theme music for this morning's commute and this month's thread, TURBO KILLER;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

That was loving cool.

I've gotten up early on a Saturday morning (a thing I hate to do) to water the lawn. Coffee, give me strength!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Because the Russian GP is tomorrow.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

meatpimp posted:

Rude or not, it's tiring to see someone race to, in effect, post "FIRST POST" month after month.

Is it? Is it really?

Maybe don't get mad about insignificant poo poo.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?

The wife and I are going on some trips later this year on Southwest's dime :getin:

My whole family (mom, dad, sister, and myself) churn like motherfuckers. We pooled our AirMiles accounts together (basically if something asks for an airmiles account number, we all write the same one), every purchase we make (including every purchase through my parents business) is done to get more points. I looked into doing a certain collector coin scam for points as well, but dropped it once I found out it wouldn't work in Canada.

As a result between the 4 of us we have about 5mil points. None of us has paid full price for a flight in about6 or 7 years.

In other news, the baby is due in 3 weeks.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ssjonizuka posted:

You got this. But let it be known, first babies are almost never on time.
The wife has gestational beetus, so they aren't going to let her get to 40 weeks. Everything so far is looking fine for the baby, they are just going to take another ultrasound and a non-stress test in a weeks or so and that will determine when she is induced. It's likely it'll be in 3 weeks though.

I know this is going to sound selfish as hell, but I kind of wish the kid could wait a year so I could buy a go kart.

My parents contribute to it far more than my sister and I. They do like multi-thousand dollar bill payments through the business on a credit card just to get the points, and then immediately pay off the credit card. On top of that, my mom scams the gently caress out of any "sign up and get x" system. She once opened a new bank account at a bank we don't do business with just to get the 15,000 air miles, kept it open for the required amount of time, and kept the required amount of money in it. Then closed the account as soon as she was able. A week later the same bank was offering iPad's on new accounts, so she did it again under my dad's name. Got the iPad and closed the account, and then did it again under my sister's name, and got another iPad.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

Hey. Hey, you...Sciatica. gently caress YOU, buddy.

Rub an ice cold beer can on and above your rear end. Then drink the beer when it feels better.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
So I've been looking at vans as a better way to transport things mostly because I hate my pickup and everyone else who drives pickups. The problem is vans in this area are stupid expensive even for their ungodly high mileage. That is until I had the brilliant thought: "why don't I just buy a minivan and gut it from the drivers seat back?" minivans would be cheap, just as spacious as a regular van (once the seats, carpet, and plastic poo poo is removed), easily as powerful, softer suspension would mean I can't carry heavier loads but that's not a problem until it's a problem. But best of all, it is inconspicuous.

I have decided from this that I am a genius.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 5, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
There used to be a goon-run racing league with automation. It was quite fun. Don't know what happened to it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
One of my wife's cousins (the side they feud with apparently) said some snarky poo poo to me on facebook and I want to loving destroy her, but I've been told not to cause trouble. :(

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Look dude, don't act offended if you tell me about your new Challenger and I'm not impressed. It's a loving Challenger. They give those things away in Cracker Jack boxes.

$40,000 to spend on a car and you go out and buy a Challenger? What's the matter, got no imagination? :fuckoff:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elmnt80 posted:

Sokay, I found out I spent 6 months importing info from a resume that had an incorrect phone number.

Also, this dumb rental 200 has an anti-burnout setting. It won't rev past 2500 with me holding the brakes. :commissar:

It's front wheel drive, just do some lunch tray doughnuts.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

88h88 posted:

London has a Muslim mayor. We are all hosed, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

...is basically what I've been reading on the internet so far this morning. I wonder what it's like going through life being so afraid of everyone else.

My in laws are from Leicester and the last time they were out here they were saying how they need to move to Canada because "there are so few Muslims around." I thought about reminding them about how they are just as much immigrant as the muslims are, but I don't think it would have mattered.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We need a lot fewer English people in Canada. They bring their thug culture of soccer riots and daytime alcoholism here and don't even know what side of the road to drive on.

I will happily take British culture over the current redneck, good ol boy, confederate flag, lifted truck, fuckface culture we currently have.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

This is seriously a thing in Canada?

Unfortunately yes. I blame Alberta. At least when their provincial economy wasn't in the shitter, those stupid chucklefucks were contained. But now they're all jumping ship like rats and coming here.

Makes me actually wish Cascadia was a real place.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

How the gently caress do you think I feel as an openly gay dude in motherfucking Texas? :colbert:

Austin gets a pass. The rest of the state, not so much.

Come join us in Cascadia. There is a better world for you here.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress.

I just found out that glyphostate only kills blackberries when applied in the fall. That was a waste of an afternoon.

I should just get a goat. That killed all of the blackberries in our yard when I was a kid.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I guess you better get a boat then

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cage posted:

Why do I feel dumb for thinking you should just eat them? That sounds like the best problem ever. Ask someone you work with if they want to come pick them all.

We have concord grapes growing in our backyard. Holy cow do those make good jelly.

It's the bush I want dead. I could care less for the berries. Blackberry bushes are nasty, invasive fuckers that ruin every lawn, driveway, tree, fence that is in it's way. They are impossible to kill without very harsh chemicals.

Ferrimit, where do you get Garlon?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

DesperateDan posted:

I do some woodland management and blackberry/bramble isn't too hard to deal with once you know your enemy- buy, beg, borrow or steal a brush cutter with a nice blade, armour yourself up a bit and blitz the fucker up. Afterwards, rake up as much of the cut stuff as you can and burn or compost it, as it can and will regrow from cut sticks. Then you examine the ground, bramble grows out from a central plant and spreads out from there- the central part is the strongest but if any of the runners have rooted well they will regrow from there too, so they need to die. The guy who owns the land didn't want me using any kind of weedkiller so I would just mattock out the worst of the central root bit, then make sure I came back to it each week or so with the brushcutter- the side runners of the plant just don't have the energy stored to keep coming back after long, but the central part will, so dig it, burn it (carefully) or poison it at the right time.

I cleared a lot of bramble last year using that method and so far this year there are no signs of it returning to the cleared areas. Strongly recommend keeping a plant or two in check though, because blackberries make incredible jam/booze.

I usually do try to go the cut/burn/dig it out method but this one grew out of the base of a huge (like 6-7ft diameter) cedar stump so there is no way I'm going to be able to get to the central bulb. I can't even dig more than a few inches without hitting a tree root the size of my leg.

Burning it out is also not an option. I want to keep the stump there (I'm going to make a bench out of it) and there is other stuff around the brambles I want to keep. I'm going to have to poison the fucker out, I just hope Garlon isn't illegal to sell in BC like Glyphosate is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
So I'm going back to school in September. About a month ago I went to the school's Open House just to get a lay of the land, get some questions answered, that sort of thing. While I was there I entered a contest to win a $5000 tuition voucher on a whim. Got an email today saying that I won.

:what:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

meatpimp posted:

:drat:

Congratulations! (or is it one of those for-profit schools that is trying to rope you in with "free" stuff at the beginning to try to keep you there so that they can feed off you for a few years?)

It's a fairly well regarded technical school for the area, and the course I'm taking is considered pretty decent for the field. I think the tuition will be less than the $5000 though, so hopefully I get to spend the rest on books.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
$3200 2015 Birel chassis with LO206 engine, an extra set of tires and the kart stand. Wife won't let me get it because "you're going to be a dad in 3 weeks." Someone doesn't have their priorities straight. :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

Haha your priorities will change willingly trust me. Wait until your kid is old enough to race karts and buy one then. That is a sweet cart tho.

She can race a kart if she wants*, I will support the poo poo out of that. But there is no way in hell I am not racing one also

*I will not buy her rain tires. That is how Jenson Button became the moist master. She will learn the same.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 11, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tusen Takk posted:

I spent that last three months doing that bro word that means getting fat but is okay because reasons and it's been great. 165-200 in four months or so and now it's time to hit the gym so I can get chiseled

ughhhhhhh I just wanna eat all day

Please explain this because it sound likes you're just getting fat and going "I guess I'll work out now." But like having justifications for not being called a lardass.

I drink too much and am about 50 lbs overweight because of it. I hate going to the gym and my home gym was destroyed because baby. I will rebuild, and I will return to target weight.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 11, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Liquid Communism posted:

It doesn't even take eating badly, just consistently screwing up portion sizes. An extra bagel a day (~300 calories) takes about 3 miles walking to burn off.

Unless you're doing hard manual labor, or again, running marathons for fun, you'll never outrun a bad diet.

Hell a single shot of vodka by itself is 97 calories. 6 shots of those is 582 calories. You can't outrun that poo poo. Especially if you've just had 6 shots of vodka.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
- The Ob is telling my wife that they are going to induce her "Thursday or Friday"
- My dad sold his truck and has just told me he is going to take mine (it's a company truck), Come September I will be communting 80km a day to school and back I need a car, but can't afford one right now.
- My mother-in-law is staying with us to help with the up-coming baby. She has been making us tons of Indian food which tastes great but is making me poo poo constantly.
- I am more than a little nervous about being a father
- That awesome Birel kart I wanted to buy got sold.
- The loving lawn is growing in super patchy and I'm uncharacteristically mad about it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ask her if she can cut down the amount of oil she uses.

Hahahaha that's not going to work. It's not the oil, it's the Ghee (clairified butter) and masala and spices.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
7th gen Civic vs 9th gen corolla vs 1st gen Cobalt.

with bonus points given to the Cobalt for having cheap parts and being easy to work on.

Go.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

The 7th gen Civic still has a timing belt to replace every ~90k. Cobalt and Corolla both use timing chains, though GM had timing chain issues on the Ecotec until ~2005 or so. Mostly due to the tensioner IIRC, which you can actually replace without pulling the timing cover (it screws into the firewall side of the block).

I have the Cobalt's cousin (06 Ion), and it's been pretty solid for me. Cobalt will be the cheapest to purchase. Cross shop the Cobalt with the Saturn Ion and Pontiac G5; they're all built in the same chassis (and in the case of the G5, all they really did was change the badging and lights vs the Cobalt). If you do look at Ions, avoid automatic coupes from 03-04 - they use a CVT that's lucky to hit 75k. 03-04 Ion sedans use a 5 speed automatic from Aisin, 05+ uses the same 4T45E you'd find in the Cobalt and G5. Most of the CVT ones were junked long ago.

Parts really aren't much more expensive for the Civic or Corolla vs the Cobalt. I know most a/c parts are cheaper for my mother's Toyota vs my Ion (and all, or close to all, of the a/c parts are the same as on the Cobalt).

They're all pretty reliable commuter cars. The Cobalt will have the worst interior quality, the Civic will probably have the best. If you care about resale value, the Civic will likely be the highest, but count on immediately having to drop $600ish into a timing belt job unless the previous owner can show proof that it was done.

The Cobalt isn't any easier to work on than a Corolla; if anything I'd say it's a little more difficult, due to the serpentine belt tensioner design, and the fact that the radiator has to come out from the bottom. Also, on the manual versions, you have to drop the subframe to replace the clutch. :fuckoff: The upside is they use a cartridge oil filter that drops in from the top, so oil changes are pretty easy. The Cobalt/G5/Ion also don't get great city mileage; EPA rating on my 2006 w/manual transmission is 22 city, and I typically get right about that on an all-city tank.

:allears:

I don't care what they say about you STR, you're alright in my book.

2004-2005 Cobalts are few and far between around these parts for some reason (as are non-redline ion's and G5's). I'm seeing a lot of 2006+ pop up on CL and kijiji though. Through some additional research, the 2007+ have AUX jacks in the head unit, so I will have to prioritize those over everything else. Literally all I care about is price, reliability/easy to repair, working heat, and some way to play my ipod. Nothing else matters. This car will be a highway pig taking me to and from school everyday. Where all I care about is getting there in time in relative comfort. I'm leaning more towards the Cobalt simply because it's easier to find cheaper ones for lower miles, but I mean if the right civic or corolla crosses my path, I'm not going to say no.

It's actually a bit strange, if I go back through my car history this will be far and away the "shittiest" car I've ever had. And yet it's the one I'm most excited about. I've always had a weird thing about cheap, reliable transportation. There is a beauty to very simple machines.

Does this cartoon have a Senna analogue? Because I bet that chicane in the main straight was put in after his death. :ocelot:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 18, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

(.. along with 3 Accords, an Integra, an Altima, and a F-150 - the Altima and F-150 were the most unreliable by far)
In order:

1984 Mazda RX-7 (had no rear suspension whatsoever. the driveshaft would rub against the body if you beat on it. Which I did. Constantly)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.3L V8
2002 Jeep Liberty (was actually my mom's car, but at the time was my primary mode of transportation while I was home from uni)
1988 Mazda RX-7 ( I ruined this car through neglect. Still feel bad about it)
2008 VW GTI
2010 Nissan Frontier (work truck, again technically not mine.)

I'm adding Cobalt's to the mix because they are cheaper and far more plentiful than their cousins. For the same price I could get a 170,000km Civic or Corolla I could get a 100-120,000km Cobalt. Literally all I need is a driving appliance that I can dump oil and gas into and it will run far enough to bring me home. I mean depending on how soon I get a new car I will likely run through the pick 'n pull and grab whatever options I want that aren't part of the original car. It's been a good long time since I've done a junkyard run.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

blk posted:

I'm trying to switch industries right now (IT->design) and am really struggling. Im about to turn 33 and starting over makes me feel like a colossal loser. I'm competing with (and losing to) candidates 10 years younger than me who are fresh out of school and internships with a lot of inertia. It's completely unnerving. When I apply and do info interviews I get a lot of "why are you here?" vibe.

Oh and I've never driven a Cobalt but my wife's 7th gen Civic is pretty solid. 118k and no interior rattles or any other issues. The interior and trunk are also cavernous.

I'm also trying to switch industries and by the time I get out of school and start looking for a job I will be 34. I also feel like colossal loser.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Would you rather be in that industry or 34 or not be that industry at 34? It's the only pertinent question you should be focusing on.

I'd rather be in it for sure, but at the same time I wish I had done this when I was 24 instead of grinding away in the games industry because "hurr hurr I make video games for a living." And I definitely wish I'd started this instead of listening to my parents and going into the family business.

But I digress, wishing past events turned out differently is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on your elbow.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Our productivity tracker was literally a simple excel spreadsheet where you entered the number of tasks you did a day in. Thank god that's dead and we're now in the future where it's as easy as everything requiring you to fill out some lovely form that takes 10 seconds to load and bits of work randomly goes missing for hours at a time.

Also if somebody tells me again that this is about having a "Clear Line of Sight" into what's going on I'm going to lose it. This has to be what it's like dating a Scientologist and she takes you to dinner with her Scientologist parents.

It's bad optics to complain dude.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I need to have some sense talked into me.

I'm looking at getting this Cobalt: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5572693378.html

It's pretty lowish miles, looks like a clean car, and it's about $500-$1000 cheaper than anything else I found. I got the VIN from the guy selling it and did a carproof (Canadian Carfax). The Carproof told me it was registered in Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta before coming to BC. So I would be the 5th owner of this thing. Also when it was in Quebec it had $1100 in roof damage done to it (most likely hail). It has two service records; one in Alberta at 102,000km and one here in BC at 140,000km.

I shouldn't get this car right? The thing is it looks pretty clean (though I didn't check underneath, and if it was in Quebec and Ontario it very likely has salt rust on it), but more than that it's sooooo cheap.

What do I do AI?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am looking for cheap, reliable transportation. Nothing more. I literally do not care about anything other than "It will take me to school and back everyday mostly problem free" and "it was less than $4000" My only other decent options are a 2001 Beige Honda Civic* with 78,000km and a rebuild title for $2500 more or a grey 2000 Toyota Corolla with 178,000km also with a rebuild title for $1500 more.

*2001 Civics are the most recalled car ever. Most suffer transmission death soon after cracking 100K.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 20, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

scuz posted:

You can check the "reliable" box for fewer than even $4,000 of your Canadian Dollary-doos, if that's all you're after. For how long will you need your cheap, reliable car until you can get a better one?

2 years. It will be commuting about 80km a day.

I mean yeah I probably could get like an old van or pickup with a SBC 350 in it for less than 4 grand, but I have a weird hard on for boring driving appliances. I've always wanted one. I picked that Cobalt because it was cheap, lowish mileage, has AC, the radio has an AUX jack, has the updated timing chain tensioner and the ignition recall and mostly will be reliable enough if anything does go wrong, parts are cheap (because GM).

Yeah it's not exciting, and the panel gaps are wide enough to kick a field goal through but all I'm going to do with it is sit in rush hour traffic on the highway listening to podcasts. I don't really need anything else.

But on the other hand, it has 4 owners and the car is from back east. particularly French Canada. So I don't know.

1500quidporsche posted:

So today's daily report show that I did "23 hours of work" and the department average removing myself is at "5 hours"....

What are the career options for a man with an accounting degree and 3 years of underwriting experience that won't make me want to blow my brains out?

Come to Vancouver and be an accountant at one of the hundred tech startups here. I mean you have no hope of being able to afford living in the city, but you won't have to wear a suit and they'll bring in beer on Fridays. You'll also probably never see snow again.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm a dad.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty hard to screw a kid up beyond repair, you'll do fine.

Well in that case, I hope she likes fixing cars and gutting fish, because I'm smashing the patriarchy with this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Thank god you got it out of the way so now you can watch Monaco this weekend :v:

Once I explained how it was the jewel in the crown of Formula 1, the wife gave me Sunday off to watch quali and the race.

Thanks for all of the well wishes everyone. Our local kart club has a minimum age of 4 so for her 4th birthday she's getting a kart.

• Locked thread