Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Well, today marks 4 months of unemployment!

please hire me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

LloydDobler posted:

I'm at 8. There is always more and it is always worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib-3Xd0IZwk&t=24s

Well, in the words of Red Green; I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dagen H posted:

The combined efforts of RockAuto and FedEx:

I'm probably going to stick with cheapo European cars for a long while just so I can maintain the joyful experience of ordering from eeuroparts.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

People who don't take their college education seriously baffle me. You're paying for this and chose the classes you're taking. Why would you gently caress yourself over like that?

e: The craziest thing is that so many problems can be solved by just going to class every drat time.

I used to have dreams toward the tail end of semesters that I had a class that I had just forgotten to go to for months. Fortunately that was never real.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I like Sun Country for domestic flights. Granted, MSP is their hub so it usually very convenient for me.

Internationally I've flown both Icelandair and SAS. Both are quite nice. Thanks Nordic countries!

Icelandair does a great job of convincing you that Iceland is an awesome place and everyone should visit it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

So it was an online class and you didn't even open the lectures? Yes, he can see that. He can probably see when you log on, how much time you spend on and what you open/use while you're on.

If you didn't engage with any of that, you basically told him that you knew everything already and your poo poo would be straight correct.

poo poo wasn't straight correct and... welp.

That being said, its kind of lovely to not return any work until right before the end of the semester. If the first assignment was returned showing formatting mistakes he could have corrected it at the beginning of the semester rather than being hosed over now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dagen H posted:

Why is my Google
A) in German, and
B) adding that weird suffix?

E: Oh hey, it's a virus. Sweet.

You figured it out but yeah the answer to that question is always going to be "because of malware".

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

What's it like living in a biome that will kill you in a day without modern technology?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

They can weigh in too.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

Shade and water are all you need (and yes, I'm well aware that we only have the water we have by means of some basic technology).

Damming the Colorado river required a little bit more than what could be considered basic technology, imo.

In all fairness where I live will kill you pretty quick in winter.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

There are advantages and disadvantages to each floor, so its probably best not to worry about it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Slavvy posted:

It's about time they start paying you back for all the mickey mouse cowboy baseball apple pie horseshit you infected their culture with after dropping the bomb.

Baseball became popular in Japan in the 1870s. And US cowboy culture is a product of western movies which owe a lot to Japanese samurai movies so it works pretty recursively.

I guess what I'm saying is that Japanese and American cultures have been pretty closely related for a long time.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

I don't know, man, as an American, I am plagued with guilt for something that happened three generations ago. I also feel personal responsibility for slavery. I spend nights awake flogging myself for killing the Indians. Because, you see, the American culture was forced upon the rest of the world by use of force and not from other cultures' emulation.

I don't get what's so hard about recognizing that all of those things had terrible effects that are still being felt today but not feeling personal guilt about it. Guilt doesn't solve problems.

(Yes I know you are being sarcastic here)

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I will happily take British culture over the current redneck, good ol boy, confederate flag, lifted truck, fuckface culture we currently have.

How does Canada manage to both be better and worse than the US at the same time?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

drat, that really blows dude. Glad the truck kept your family safe though.

Were you able to toss the antlers off into the bushes so you can retrieve them and mount them in the garage/do ancient black magic against all deer?

No antlers in May.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

There were nubs in the top of the head where something freshly broke off? It was dark, though, and I didn't see any pieces. Edit: Now that I think about it, it could have just been partially scalped from the way it looks like it hit the hood...

They typically lose them in December or January after the rut, and then they start growing back in early summer, usually June or July*. There would absolutely be bare nubs where they fell off. Deer antlers are regenerated every year, getting bigger as the bucks get older to help them fight over does.

*These times are normal for where I am, and may vary depending on location.

e: I'm also refering to white-tailed deer. If you're out west and it was a mule deer it could vary as well, but with the exception of caribou, I think, all deer lose and regenerate their antlers yearly.

ee: Wrong about caribou. They also regenerate yearly but they are the only species where females also typically grow antlers.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 8, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

leica posted:

No shame in wrecking on a track, half of those are track incidents.

Until the next time you pull out your credit card.

It knows... It knows you're stupid... And its judging you.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

Wasn't there a lot of talk in the last thread about AI folks getting on their bikes and getting fit?

Not really that I remember, but springtime brings out the bike chat a lot. Bikes are awesome and everyone should have one.

Springtime also brings out bike haters but I'm pretty sure that if you hate bikes you hate fun.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If you like lettuce there are several varieties that taste better (subjective) and are far more nutritious (objective) than iceberg. You're basically paying for a ball of crunchy water.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Bulking and cutting is complete BS broscience. Just want you to know that.

Bulking and cutting is a thing if you actually lift heavy when bulking. Then lift heavy when cutting. Otherwise you're just getting fat and pretending.

Also if you don't expect it to be a magic insta-swole technique.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Dude, everybody hates that loving song.

The original version (Bruce Springsteen) is approximately 8000x better.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

LloydDobler posted:

Most depressing job interview ever.

The good: Job looks fun and challenging, I'm perfectly qualified for it without being overqualified. The product is cool. No dress code.

The bad:
No bonuses ever
No 401k
No vacation to start, 2 weeks max
Terrible pay. Pays $25,000 a year less than my last job. They're seriously way behind the market in terms of salary.
30 minute commute in good traffic, which probably means 60 minute commute in Denver rush hour traffic.

The place has all the earmarks of an owner who is a huge cheapskate. He either doesn't make a profit or keeps all the profit for himself. Either way it's bad news. They only have 2 ME's right now and from the volume and variety of work they're doing it looks to me like these guys are way overworked. The HR guy (who is in upper management) didn't know the company's annual revenue. The lobby is wide open, and in spite of tons of extra space is filled with cramped 6x6 cubicles, most of which are unoccupied and filled with storage boxes and garbage. There is garbage all over the entrance area (boxes and packing materials, and disassembled product) and the lights were all out, taking what could be an impressive entry and turning it in to a depressing ghost town feel. Also I interviewed at this company 10 years ago and it was worse back then.

The saddest part is that if they offer it to me I'll take it as it'd be my first offer in 9 months and I'm making negative dollars right now. And I might not get it, they also confirmed that the market is flooded and they had hundreds of applicants.

Ugh that sucks, but on the bright side it will be paying work!

My favorite thing lately is companies sitting on my application and not doing anything with it or telling me anything when they've had a position advertised for months now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

My current job pulled a flavor of that bullshit. I went in for an interview to get a second job in mid November and both interviewers told me that the job was basically mine, but they waited until early January to actually call me back and hire me for real. I had gotten another job by the time I got a call back, and had to juggle 3 jobs for a few months

The jobs I'm applying for aren't worth juggling three at a time!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I didn't realize people had such strong opinions about Linux people.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

Why did I watch that? Especially knowing what was going to happen... I don't know which is worse -- his doing it, or my watching it.

His doing it is way worse.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

i met richard stallman and he was supposed to stay at my house while he was at my uni

turns out one of the things on his list of requirements is that there be no dogs at the place that hosts him lol

i think his heart is in the right place, but he goes overboard with it

Yeah, he should've just picked the thing off his foot and dropped it. Putting it in his mouth was just a step too far.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

keykey posted:

poo poo went south the moment he took off his shoe. Which begs the question, was it a subconscious act of pick and eat or did he do it on purpose? Either way.. MOTHERFUCK! :barf:

I just can't help but laugh at someone so clueless as to go through that entire process and just think nothing of it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

We're aaaaactually kinda getting there. Thanks to the way the water rights for the Colorado are constructed, the landowners get their cut off the top, not proportionally based on river flow, and we've had a few years of dry winters.

Prior appropriation water law is some hosed up poo poo. That's what happens when you get oligarchs building states in resource heavy areas with limited populations.

Riparian water law is better in every way but you know, gently caress you got mine and all that.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

trouser chili posted:

Also, sliding doors and kids are like peanut butter and jelly. I just don't know why you'd have one without the other.

The big appeal to me always was that kids wouldn't be able to fling the door open into someone else's car.

Are minivans still super unsafe despite the reputation or is that a thing of the past?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

trouser chili posted:

The Odyssey is a rolling tank. Probably the safest drat vehicle on the road. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found the Odyssey to have the lowest overall driver death rate in its class with 0 deaths per million registered years.

:captainpop:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I too do not usually like superhero movies, but instead of going to see them and then complaining I just avoid them completely.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Sometimes people like things you don't like.

Sometimes people don't like things you like.

This is part of what makes us who we are, and that's okay.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

why do you numpties even loving respond

Also here is the best '94 Camry in all existence

Looks to me like the best any year Camry in existence.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Its a drat shame too. I really would've liked the chance to ruin the world. Guess I'll just have to try and make it better for someone else to ruin.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is there a place that hires older workers I wonder? Can we start one?

If I pretend to be an older worker can I also get a job at your new company? Thanks in advance.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

How do you all decide whether or not major work is worth doing on a car?

My car (2001 Saab 9-5, ~180k miles) has needed a new timing chain since before I bought it, and up until this point I've pretty much just been ignoring it, but if I'm actually going to do something about it, it should probably be in the next couple months or so. Its a remove the engine job*, so along with that I'd probably do the oil pump (probably reconditioning rather than replacement), water pump, crankshaft seals, and maybe a few other things while its out.

However, I'm a fairly inexperienced home mechanic so removing an engine is a very daunting thing to me. Ideally I'd convince my dad and uncle to help me (and let me use their space and equipment), but they have their own lives and I wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much.

The car is in pretty decent shape for its age and mileage, with some body rust around the rear wheel arches, but frame rust is very minimal for a car that's spent most of its life in Minnesota. I think the car has many more years of life in it if this operation is done.

If I decide to go ahead and do it, would 8 days be a reasonable amount of time to budget for the operation for a first time engine puller? I'm thinking 2 for removal, 2 for the projects, 2 for refitting, and 2 as a buffer in case things go awry.

Total parts cost would be between $300-$400, for the timing and balance kit, water pump kit, and oil pump kit (if that's even needed).

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not, in your opinion, $400 and a week of time is worth spending on a 15 year old car made by a dead company with nearly 200,000 miles.

e: I'd also want to buy new hardware and gaskets for the intake/exhaust manifolds, coming to between $30-$40. I'm sure there's other parts too.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

If you really love the car, that's totally worth it and I would do that in a heartbeat. If you're indifferent towards the car, skip it.

I do love the car. Its been very good to me. Its actually the first car I've owned. Yes I bought a high mileage saab as my first car with limited wrenching experience. It has taught me a lot.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Best way to learn! :cheers: Shoot me a PM when this thing kicks off and I can come lend a hand if my schedule allows.

Thanks! It will probably be up nort, where my family is, so I wouldn't expect you to want to travel that far to wrench on someone else's car, but I'll keep you in the loop nonetheless.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dear neighborhood birds: I put that feeder out there, so don't territorially yell at me when I go out to refill it or mow the lawn you little assholes. Especially the ones who are nesting in the eaves of my house. I feed you and put a roof over your heads, and this is how you repay me? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Upset bowels are a worthy price for good Indian food imo.

• Locked thread