Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Saw MT photo op with his grandkid and suddenly feel the historical precedent for him is Crassus making his way to Carrhae. 62-yo rich dude with maximum hubris about to be handed a shellacking by underestimated adversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Skimmed the rags waiting for my lunch today, Blot is having a dig at the French subs in the Arsetralian. Didn't read enough to find out why.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
australia needs landmines to protect critical areas like

:shrug:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I thought that was to stop people from getting out

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

RBA cut to 1.75%

now I get to borrow even stupider amounts of money to negatively gear :downsgun:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that 80 000 gross or after tax?

...asking for a friend

taxable income so you can finagle underneath with deductions

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the day the RBA drops rates to lowest ever levels because of deflation is probably not the right day to be worrying about bracket creep

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
As well as much of Turnbull's personal popularity vis-a-vis Abbott being sourced from younger voters.

The same class of voters he is alienating every time he professes his undying love for negative gearing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Okay somebody tell me if I'm wrong/crazy regarding the business tax cuts.

For the local small-then medium-then any businessperson, because of dividend imputation/personal services attribution/div 7A (*chortle*), the local businessperson will pay a top up rate to hit the proper (higher) marginal rate. Because the individual brackets as largely unchanged, tax paid by the local entrepreneur will be largely unchanged.*

For the multinational not in the sights of BORDER TAX FORCE, you get a 5% tax cut benefiting largely foreign investors and doing not much for Australians.

*yeah I know about using trusts to split income

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

My team of in-house experts agrees, but says that's assuming profits are distributed?

(I might have lost something in translation)

can't argue with that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Actually releasing good economic policies that have been stolen by the Libs has been great for the ALP. It's framed the debate in such a way that the Libs are at a natural disadvantage because it's not about economic management anymore, it's about fairness.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Also if you look at agency staffing in Budget Paper No. 4, TAX FORCE is 539 people, not 1000.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
someone please inform thread about Turnbull on Jon Faine re: housing (I'm on a phone)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amethyst posted:

Okay, but this includes part timers. Negligent was specifically talking about full time workers.

That's the trick.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Malcolm Licinius Crassus Turnbull

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's kind of hard to quantify the cost of the corporate tax cuts given how few of them pay the right amount now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Negligent posted:

Turnbull is more like Gaius Julius Caesar IMO

I'm giving this the shallowest of analyses but Bob Hawke is a far better Caesar analogue.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
neggy is going to attempt a self-vote by drawing a poo emoji on the ballot

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Does literally anyone care about signage? We have mandatory voting, it's not as if we need to be hyped for the election. Is it just for name recognition?

To an extent, it gives the impression of legitimacy. It's hard for a challenger to knock off an incumbent if nobody knows who they are.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tory scum checking in

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I keep seeing that Albo was "disadvantaged" by the redistribution but I don't see how, Balmain/Rozelle was solid for the ALP in 2013

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Seems like this makes a Tory by the standards of this thread

Stay strong comrade, the trots will soon be driven to distraction by splits.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

you should take that dude's advice

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Skellybones posted:

I wonder what would happen if the Nationals just quietly dissolved.

australia overrun

by CAAARRRP

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty happy considering he runs his own reds under the bed campaign against the greens

Greens under the sateen?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

as if anyone in fuckin grayndler reads that poo poo anyway

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Turnbull shouldn't even waste anyone's time campaigning seeing as he's going to lose.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Yet more lieberal waste

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
None of our pollies are as good at looking at things as Kims Jong Il/Un

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Spudd posted:

Mike Baird has this morning sacked me as the Mayor of Leichhardt and abolished Leichhardt Council.

Good I didn't vote for you

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I take it you'll be boating to Cambodia then.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
what if amalgamations... are good?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hot take alert:supaburn:: it is with some irony that government secrecy on refugees is blunting its effectiveness as a wedge issue

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Amalgamations are ridiculous.

Counterpoint: councils routinely fail to extract a proper return for the community (in the form of infrastructure or otherwise) from developers because they don't have the scale/resources to negotiate commercial terms.
You can count on one hand the councils that have these resources. Larger councils somewhat addresses this.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
llama you can't stop people getting hosed up from licking chemicals, you're proof of that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ewe2 posted:

This is the guy who represents conservative "balance" on ABC Radio National. This is the most bizarre thing I've read by a Liberal commentator who isn't a shill like Bolt, Devine, or Albrechtsen. So I'm going to rant about it.

And to think that guy is head and shoulders above every other conservative commentator I've read.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ScreamingLlama posted:

True, but that's only one part of the equation.

If the government couldn't manage your case properly why would you trust them to properly manage this?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gay picnic defence posted:

you loving idiot.

This is the other side of the equation

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ScreamingLlama posted:

Like in the movie, it could be strongly argued that the compulsory acquisitions did not occur 'on just terms' due to the significant hardships those evicted may face as a result of the Westconnex project. IANAL though.

NSW has a Just Terms Act which sets out the matters to be taken into consideration when determining "just terms" (s55). If you were unhappy with the amount you could appeal to the Land & Environment Court as set out in that Act.

If you were unhappy with the process you could conceivably run all sorts of administrative law arguments to try and delay the decision and have it remade properly, which may or may not net you any more money. Given the despicable machinations of the Baird government you may even have some success with this, although the courts are (sometimes) reluctant to exercise this power.
I'm assuming you could do this because I didn't see a privative clause in the Act and I'm in my phone and I cbf looking.

I am not an environmental lawyer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Di Natale story is bullshit, they weren't au pairs

they were interns

• Locked thread