Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

What does aligning ourselves with our Asian neighbours even mean? Trying to read up on it most of what's out there seems to be extended platitudes about how we need to be 'modern' (apparently aligning ourselves with China is modern?) or about how we need to be closer to Asia because it's the 'Asian Century'.

We won't know until we actually engage with their cultures and aspirations and keep playing the arms-length buzzword bingo. It's not a simple matter of enjoying their cuisine, going to their holiday destinations, or forming business partnerships to funnel money overseas to avoid domestic tax. And given we've got no loving idea what culture is except for being white, that engagement looks far away. As Cartoon suggests, it will take massive demographic change first before we realize we're already aligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Loon Pond is a blog which often reads what I dare not, and here's some fun infighting between the Lib shill press:

Why this anguish? Because Blot has Peta Credlin on his show being all chummy and wise.

They're not giving up, not these little black ducks. Thank god.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

dr_rat posted:

I assume bolt is just hoping Peta can help bring down Turnbull same as she helped Abbott out? I mean he must now that Abbott and Peta are as politically poisonous as each other.

Blot is firmly in the Abbot Wuz Robbed camp, so its birds of a feather really. Just imagine the fun of these guys complaining about the Budget then ever election policy, then imagine how this will play to the electorate. It's pure gold.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Commentary:

On the one hand we did buy a bunch of French planes and they crashed a lot (seriously, look up the stats on the RAAF Mirages, we lost something like 16 aircraft in crashes), but I don't think that was intentional, it was just cheap at the time.

On the other hand the French don't really care how we use their subs as much as Blot claims, the US only wants us to buy broken planes and not the good ones, and demands trade treaties and bases as well. So LOOK FRANCE DOES TOTALLY EVIL poo poo is a bit rich coming from a US cheerleader. I mean, how dare they have an opinion which could hurt themselves financially too, right? Caving into British threats oh noes. I'll deal with that below.

Then Blot goes on to whine about various parts of the deal like that's never happened with any other defence deals and similar caveats wouldn't happen with the Japanese deal if they'd had a clue and were bastards like the French and US. It's pitiful. Sure we're going to war against China and "muslim countries", totally gonna happen and then Blot will remind us he told us so.

I'm also not aware of multiple submarine suppliers we can go to in case the dastardly French stand us up during some mythical conflict Blot just made up to whine about a deal he disagrees with to pass the time of day and earn media mouth bucks, but maybe I'm wrong and he just knows the US would have heaps of spares we can buy for a reasonable price honest.

Here's several things Blot doesn't understand about defence deals:

* They always lose money, for the buyer and seller often equally. France was renowned for undercutting competitors for its Mirages by literally halving the price, but see below. Arms dealers are worse than drug dealers, it's all about getting the addict on the hook.
* It's never frontline tech, no one's stupid enough to sell a weapon that can be used against them without a way to nullify that threat. The F35 is shaping up to be its own nullification. But this also covers the situation where the tech simply becomes outdated. The whole point of arms dealers is to hedge on this rather than build your own. 9/10 times, you get it wrong.
* The money is in the parts. Like so many things, like parts for your car, the aftermarket is where they clean up. This is typically where France has wielded its power. But this is common to other arms dealers, the US and the British and the Russians have all applied the same arm-twisting.
* It's always broken. Rare exceptions like the Exocet missile prove the rule. But given how incompetent we are at building our own stuff, we're probably ahead by not buying US this time around.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

I know we've had this discussion before but why do we even have a war footing submarine fleet?

Apparently they do heaps of sig-int and stuff, but why do we even bother with torpedoes and poo poo on them?

There are a slew of articles about the submarine arms race currently going on in Asia, but I did read one some months ago that contrasts with buying terrible US planes for Australia. Reasons why subs are good for Australia are similar to those for Asian countries:

* They're cost-effective. It can be cheaper to build subs or buy them than a fleet of planes. And they're multi-functional, from intelligence to weaponry to border-protection.

* They're a good deterrent. As mentioned here, they're harder to track, they can be anywhere, and a sub with a nuclear missile or just a bunch of powerful conventional ones is quite the problem in that regard. For small Asian countries, its the number one reason to feel safer. It's being called an asymmetric advantage. But until there's an actual shooting war, no one knows for sure.

* They've got better range than planes, literally being able to stay at sea for months.

* Since we're talking about the elephant in the room, its believed China's submarines aren't up to snuff with current generation technology, but that could change easily.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The whole war with China thing is blatant yellow perilism but the idea of not handing control over a strategic asset to a government owned company of a nation who has shown itself happy to throw muscle around by withholding contracted material is the least dumb thing he's ever written

It's a no-win situation. You can't join the arms race without the arms. Arms dealing is a government thing, Australia's efforts are small and specific, we have to depend on an arms dealer ie another government. In a shooting war, the arms dealer will definitely have leverage, but there is no instance of an arms dealer who never used that leverage either.

Blot tends to oversimplify issues like this for rhetorical wins, but looking at his arguments for more than a second exposes them for the trite nonsense they are.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh yay its Mr Boring with your weekly dose of one-eyed idiot ALP flag-waving, well there's more than two choices Mr Boring, and the electorate will avoid your favoured ones enough to keep things interesting. Too bad so sad eh :qq:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Up early and catching up with Laura Tingle on Phil Adams little wireless program. What she's saying about the Budget is a bit worrying. To paraphrase "I can't believe that the Budget as leaked is all there is because it seems like there's very little outside concessions to high income earners, not repairing the political damage of the 2014 budget, and I can't believe that, despite the hapless PM and Treasurer, senior experienced hands in the government aren't making sure the right political things are done."

If I read between the tea leaves of such foreboding, certain government people might want this Budget to fail. Either they're doubling down or they're being left high and dry for someone else to swoop in and "fix" things for the election. Doubling down on 2014 sounds like a perfect suicide note for the LNP as it currently exists.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

Can't even rely on the Liberal party for cheaper cigs these days.

[edit This is insane. ]

BBJoey posted:

extremely lomarf

Don't be shy guys, give us the benefit of your superior grasp of geopolitics then. I've got no hope that open even understands what Cartoon wrote, but BBJoey is usually more insightful.

BCR posted:

Well, because China is only interested in one on one dialogue where it can bully the smaller countries into submission leading to the country's involved (Vietnam, Phillipines, etc) acting collectively with the US to counter that.

So Australia ends up defacto on the US side, because the US wants to use dialogue and international forums to reach a settlement and China does not.

Australia is defacto US because we sign up to everything they say and have their bases on our soil. It didn't just happen because China is being mean to the locals. All this "oh noes we have to pick sides", the last time I looked, I didn't see India rushing to one side or the other. But then they're a bit more grown-up than us as a nation, even though they're half our age. Painting the US like good international citizens is just hilariously one-eyed. Very lazy of you BCR, you're usually better than this.

Negligent posted:

The thing is that China sees itself as a great power and after a century of humiliation restoring it's rightful place in the world. Trying to stand up to Chinese assertions in the SCS/the 9 dash line is a balancing act because, domestically, the CCP can't lose face by giving in. So doing freedom of navigation ops may end up being counterproductive because China then escalates by putting in an air defence identification zone.

How is it possible that Negligent is showing you geniuses up? Almost like he did history in school or something useless like that, enabling him to have some background on current events.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

Well, why don't you tell us why it's a good idea?

Yes, a nuclear power with over a billion people has the same decisions to make as Australia.

Thought you'd chicken out, I didn't say anything was a good idea.

But: being a yes-man for the US definitely isn't. China will do what it wants to do and other than a lot of macho yelling and screaming nothing will change that. Maybe you feel they don't have a right to flex their muscles but given their treatment from the West and Japan in the last two centuries I'm frankly surprised there aren't more nuclear craters.

The degree of side Australia takes with the US will have repercussions. On the plus side, the US is emboldened to talk up poo poo and some of our neighbours might like that. But no one is under the illusion we're anything but US lapdogs. Of course when the US charges in like a bull at a gate and this worries the same neighbours, that yes-man position won't look as good. we may not depend on them economically, but it's the political barriers to further integration into Asia we might rue.

And we need China economically more than we need the US. Shouldn't we worry more about China thinks, or don't we need all those export dollars when they flex those muscles? Why didn't we go for the Japanese sub contract for instance, open? We have a finer line to tread than just echoing whatever the imperialist US running dog says. This is diplomacy, I don't expect you to understand it.

Re your second hilarious comment. India is a good deal more mature as a diplomatic country than Australia because they took the position of independence from all sides from the start of their nationhood, not because they have a bunch of people, oh and started from a much weaker economic base than we did. Somehow, they owe less even to their former colonial masters than we do, and have not had to suck up to the US either. As an Asian country they get more respect from the region than we do, they are part of international Asian treaties and groups that we are barred from, and generally show us up in diplomatic terms. We should be aspiring to be more like them but we're far too comfortable being a US lapdog, and that's how the region sees us.

BBJoey posted:

My main objection is to what I perceive (perhaps incorrectly) as a 'US are jerks so China should be allowed to be jerks as well' equivocation. US foreign policy is an utter nightmare and will become worse when Hillary is elected next year, but that doesn't mean every position they take is worthy of scorn by association. The Iranian negotiations, for example, were a huge success, and my (admittedly ill-informed) understanding of the South China Sea tensions is that the US is on the side of reason. There are definitely issues to be argued with tactics employed by the US on this issue but the strategy is fairly sound, I feel.

China is reacting to its sense of nationalism after a couple of centuries being everyone's bitch. It's not going to be pretty. I deplore their heavy-handedness, but I'm not so stupid as to think they're going to stop if threatened. All the "naval exercises" are just bluster, but they're alo diplomacy.

Unfortunately the US thinks it has a right to tell China what it can and cannot do, and its a fundamentally broken strategy, guaranteed to annoy China and make it even more determined to push smaller countries around to show the US it doesn't have the power it think it does. I think behind the scenes many people on both sides of this issue agree China will generally get what it wants, but it never does well to say so aloud. If China wants the South China Sea, it's going to get it, full stop short of a major war that everyone is trying to avoid.

I agree, Hilary is a hawk and could well be tempted to put her foot in it, she has a very close association with the armed forces. But there is no "side of reason", the strategy is about US feelings of international relevance more than anything else. It's been poking and prodding the Japanese to be more self-reliant in its defence, for example and of course the prospect of an arms race is publically deplored (and privately welcomed). I expect a good many decades of yelps and pantomime horror and not a lot of serious action however. My point is that whatever the US position, its Australia's win or loss how we tread that diplomatic line.

BCR posted:

The US are not saints, in the South China sea dispute they are clear water better international citizens than China in this one theatre.

India is picking sides. The US and non chinese side.

Two of your links clearly indicate India's main concern is its own waters and the other is being a good Asian citizen. Oh, and saving the US time and money tracking subs for them, that'll avoid the US wanting a loving base somewhere nearby to "help" with the China "problem". That's really picking sides, yeah. It's never simply a matter of being a "good citizen" either, there's always self-interest involved.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

I can't comment about the likelihood of China getting its way because I don't know much about the current version environment, but I think the current strategy of putting up as much resistance as possible both diplomatically and militarily (in the form of free navigation excercises etc) is the best option available. The main objection I raise is that it's not the US trying to tell China what it can't do; it's regional nations telling China they won't stand for its retaliatory nationalism, with the backing of the US. The US is obviously driven by self-interest in this case but so is literally every nation involved, that's not so much a fault as the reality of geopolitics.

The US position goes back quite a few years, conservative hawks have been making anti-China noises since the Wall fell. The domino theory was discredited, they keep thinking up new angles. The South China Sea issue is a gift to them, and feeds into US prejudices. The problem with getting a Hilary might be that they go more unilateral instead of backing the locals. But as far as China is concerned with the present situation, it's as good as being told what they can and can't do. So as a strategy it's not much of a goer because it's talking to the proverbial brick wall. I quite see how threatened that makes China's neighbours feel, I just don't see long-term how it changes anything. It's nice to have the US backing, but push has not come to shove yet.

open24hours posted:

What does 'diplomatic maturity' mean? Is there a list of countries by diplomatic maturity?

Open plays with words in a desperate attempt to look like he knows what he's talking about. You still haven't put up any ideas of your own but I can't expect you to, because you don't have any. At least the others have arguments (hell, even Negligent has a cogent argument), and what do you have?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BCR posted:

It's in the United States, Vietnams, Phillipines, Japanese, Indonesian, etc's self interest that China doesn't claim all the islands and build missile bases

Yeah, but it's still going to happen. They simply can't stop them. And long-term Australia has to be careful about which side of the argument it wants to be on. It doesn't matter how we characterize their actions, they're still going to act. Unless you really want an Asian war, cos they really don't give a poo poo what we think.

quote:

Well long term if you want us to become more integrated in Asia, that would mean supporting in words and deeds our Asian neighbours against China.

It makes sense for a middle weight country to support the interests of other middle weight countrys in our own neighbourhood.

No, long term, you want to still be talking to China. It might seem prudent in the short to medium term to oppose their interests, but its not the end game. That's the brutal truth. Look, the US has pretty much done a similar thing worldwide in the last century but it doesn't have China's patience or its resolve. They won't stick around, and I'm betting that a few of our neighbours will at some point accommodate the Chinese just to be on the "right" side themselves. Best you can hope for is internal collapse like Russia, but that's Armageddon for everyone too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have no mouth and I must carrrrrrp :yarg:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Redcordial posted:

I don't understand why reporters don't just tell him to shut the gently caress up, but then again I do because good luck getting another job am I right.

He's giving them a tax cut, of course they're saying nothing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Alanna McTiernan rather honestly gave the reason for her retirement: unable to influence policy, like an extra in a blockbuster. That's more telling than Bishop's bullshit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A cynic might say this is the job meant for Dutton so he's wiped out politically. It must be a poisoned chalice by now. Pretty soon ScoMo will be pretending he never had the portfolio.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lenore Taylor bemoans the use of "class war" (of course she would, she got a tax cut) and gets served in the comments:

Catherine Schrodinger posted:

If we can't call it a class war, then what do we call this concerted attack by the Coalition on the lower classes? If Mr Turnbull is so appalled by the "us vs them" rhetoric, then why does his party divide us into "lifters and leaners"?

The "leaners", of course, are never corporate welfare recipients who siphon billions of our taxes out of national coffers every year. The "leaners" are never those with the means to rort tax loopholes in order to avoid paying their fair share. No... the "leaners" as far as the Coalition are concerned, are always the poor, the marginalised and the disenfranchised.

One need look no further than the USA to see what happens to a country which abandons Keynesian economics in favour of Friedman's "Masters of the Universe" type neoliberalism. After 40 years of it, the USA is now a nation where the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" is greater than ever before... and getting worse... because the lower classes ARE under attack.

We need to stop kidding ourselves (and each other) and call this what it is: A class war. Perhaps when we have the courage to call it what it is we can find a means to end it... because pretending it's not happening is only going to lead this country down the same godforsaken path the USA has taken.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If I was Pyne's campaign manager, I wouldn't be reminding the electorate who they don't want to vote for so soon...

edit: so would it be technically be an electoral crime to deface said posters before the writs? Asking for a friend.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cmon Malcolm, surely you can't gently caress up calling an election as well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaha small business owner in Eden-Monaro has never seen the Lib Member Hendy. Mike Kelly should take it back. This could break the bellwether streak!

Also some dumb hack on abc24 talking utter tripe about people expecting more from their MP's but MP's are hanging around less. Gosh what an insight.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WE WILL WE WILL DAM YOU

(in association with the Libs)

Election Meow!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 8, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Death of the actor

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Kinda disappointed when I scanned the news website and found nothing about a dead actor

I just love that they spent all day at this thing and they still managed to gently caress up during Turnbull's speech.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wonk The Vote 1

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ABC news article headline: Springborg says he has set up Nicholls for LNP election success

You don't even need to read the article :allears:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They're called the loving Coalition, for gently caress's sake. THEY'RE ALWAYS FORMING GOVERNMENT WITH TWO PARTIES.

It's ok, Shorten just hosed up by publicly ruling out an ALP-Greens minority government, that won't bite him in the rear end if he wins at all. Unfortunately the electorate mostly takes these claims as gospel given they don't even SEE the Coalition means two parties. If they did, people would have realized the Nats were utter crap decades ago.

Anidav posted:

Also lol

Tony Abbott supporters are planning a "dangerous" boycott of the New South Wales marginal seat of Eden-Monaro as punishment for Liberal MP Dr Peter Hendy's role in ousting the former prime minister, sources say.

Is there an alternative bellwether seat, this one's broken.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Malformed Turdball finds his wife's purse open.
He only had a tiny penis and jkhdfsuhbvcbygasjgf
Well among other things it isolated directors like :siren:Wran:siren: and Turdball from connections to bribing foreign officals. Now as outrageous as Limited Liability companies are (eg PL Proprietary Limited - Here let me Google what those words mean before we get to the legal meaning. Proprietary means to own or hold exclusively and Limited means there is an upper and/or low bound on something. Legally a Pty Ltd company "limited by shares, where shareholders are afforded more protection when it comes to the level of liability they face for company debts" So if the company goes under owing billions the shareholders can only lose what they paid in shares. If the company makes billions then they are only limited in their profit by the amount of company tax the ATO manages to wrest from the PL and what-ever they pay on the dividends. Sweet deal!)

NL means No Liabilty "No-liability companies are differentiated from other companies as their shareholders are not liable to pay calls on unpaid shares. This differs from traditional company structure where the purchase of shares is a binding contract. Should the shareholder choose not to pay when there is a call, the shareholder forfeits both the unpaid and paid shares. This encourages investment in potentially risky mining ventures, as a shareholder with unpaid shares can choose to withdraw from the company with no legal consequences. A successful mining company usually converts to a limited liability company when advantageous." You have to be a mining company to do this. I'm not making this up.

The TL;DR of this is that there's nothing particularly shonky about being a director of a fly-by-night mining venture keeping its assets in the Virgin Islands to avoid tax and scam money out of the capital save money.

The interesting thing is what Turnbull did after he quit: his firm raises a bunch of shares for that self-same company. It's just a wee step away from conflict of interest/insider trading but also perfectly legal and would have been a very nice bonus going-away present for ceasing his directorship. I assume Wran got a nice backhander out of that too. Turnbull did a few barely-legal manoeuvres like this, the logging firm in the Solomon Islands story predates this caper. He got to play consultant to the Solomon Islands government and make a few bucks. Here's a read.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Okay but what if you're Chris Uhlmann? What does it mean then?

"Please give me a job if you win the election, I can't stand these ABC watermelons"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

It is such an obvious PR campaign. Discredit them instantly and paint them as Labor voters or something.

Clearly they want to Stop The Duncans. Let's hope they keep coming.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As much as I enjoy the idiocy of the Hun's Stop The Duncans campaign (immigration control for the poor), I must remember they're running interference for the government who doesn't want to be asked any difficult questions over the election they wanted to have.

The Kouk details the problem:

quote:

Abbott claim No 1
In the campaign launch Abbott said: “We’ll build a stronger economy so everyone can get ahead.” He added: “I want to lift everyone’s standard of living.”

The economy has continued to grow, but the average annual growth in GDP under the Coalition has been just 2.5%, which coincidentally is the same as under the previous Labor government which Abbott described as the “worst in Australia’s history”. Doing no better than the worst government ever is not a great start. The Reserve Bank has described the current rate of economic growth as “moderate” which prompted it to cut interest rates to a record low 1.75%.

The RBA also noted that net national disposable income per capita, which it refers to as a “broader indicator of living standards”, has declined in recent years. Indeed, the fall in net national disposable income has not only wiped out all the gains made under the previous Labor government, it has fallen back to 2007 levels. Since the 2013 election, net national disposable income has fallen 5% with no signs of bottoming out.

Abbott claim No 2
“We’ll get the budget back under control by ending Labor’s waste”. He added, “By the end of a Coalition government’s first term, the budget will be on-track to a believable surplus”.

Unfortunately for the Liberals, its third budget confirmed a three-fold increase in the budget deficit, a blowout in net government debt to the highest level in 60 years and government spending as a share of GDP above 25.2% in every year, to outpace the level of spending of just 24.1% in the last full year of the Labor government in 2012-13. In terms of the “believable surplus”, the forward estimates show budget deficits in every year and even these deficits rely on what look to be very optimistic forecasts for the iron ore price and wages growth. So much for a believable surplus.

Abbott claim No 3
“I want our workers to be the best paid in the world and for that to happen, we have to be amongst the most productive in the world”. He added, “I want to see wages and benefits rise in line with a growing economy.”

The bad news for the Coalition and the electorate is that annual wages growth has weakened to 2.2%, the lowest for 50 years. At the same time, overall productivity measured as real GDP per hour worked has fallen in the past year. Low wages growth and faltering productivity are among the most serious shortcomings of the last three years of Coalition economic management.

This none-to-impressive track record begs the question why the electorate considers the Liberal party a better manager of the economy than Labor. Against its own modest promises at the 2013 election it has failed and as I showed in a previous Guardian column, Coalition governments fall short of Labor on the key economic issues of GDP and employment growth.

Perceptions count and facts are not so important, or so it seems.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Man, Pyne's seat must really be in trouble

I think they're hoping we'll have forgotten by week 8, but since I don't watch commercial TV I've no idea how deeply the messaging is penetrating, give it another couple of weeks.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Why do I always feel sus when I get something about voting, which has clearly been posted by a party?
It either leaves off the party affiliation, common for LNP members apparently. Or there's a reply paid envelope that's probably not going straight back to the AEC.

Yeah don't touch it, its a scam that they refuse to fix. The AEC wants this issue settled but the Libs refused to back an ALP bill in 2010 and they can still pull this poo poo.

edit: alternatively draw big CNBs on it with the legend "put this in your loving database, scum" and post it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Katherine Murphys liveblog wrapping up with an interesting point:

quote:

Not one question on asylum seekers. In western Sydney.

And the room votes:

quote:

A clear win for Shorten. Of the 100, 42 are more likely to vote for Bill Shorten, 29 for Malcolm Turnbull, 29 still undecided.

Hope that adds up to 100. That’s Sky’s account.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

From Elder's recent blog:

quote:

This is why "campaign trail journalism" is so lame and such bullshit:

* Firstly, Tim Crouse belled that cat in 1972, and since then this sub-genre has never been bettered or redeemed.

[I prefer Hunter S Thompson's Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72 because it dispenses with the myth that journalists are objective observers anyway, particularly in a political campaign.]

* Secondly, Australian journalists do not have the feel for local communities that older-style US journalists had. Regional and suburban journalism has been all but wiped out in Australia, and it was rarely a first step for national journalists as it was in the US or UK. Campaign-trail journalists waft in off the bus and make half-witted, shallow observations about communities, which discredits those media outlets for paying customers who live in them ("if they're wrong about our community, what else are they wrong about? Why are we watching this?"), to which news directors respond by making each successive campaign more and more vacuous.

* Thirdly, who appointed the media the "on message" police? When Duncan Storrar or Melinda ask about educational and employment opportunities, they're not going "off message" - they're trying to relate life in Australia as they know it to life in Australia as politicians would describe it. Politicians need to relate to voters, and vice versa: the media are meant to be the conduit for this, not to get in the way or pretend the dialogue is about something else. Party hacks have an imperative to be "on message" - that's their job, not the journalists', and not members of the public who are the point of every election. To hell with "on message", and to hell with the fewer than a thousand people across the nation who overestimate its importance.

* Fourth, cross-continental smirking while waiting for someone to gaffe is tiresome, and fatal to the engagement media organisations crave for survival and relevance. Journalists become mobile jukeboxes of cliches, idly wondering if there are enough such cliches to keep them going for two months. There aren't, of course. The reason why press gallery journalism sucks so hard is because they sit around Canberra for two-and-a-half years ignoring actual policy and governing and stuff, wishing they were on the campaign trail; and when on the campaign trail, they half-heartedly complain about the shallowness of it all, without admitting that they couldn't do policy if they tried. Their political cliches are exhausted before the writs have been issued. The engagement media organisations need for their very survival becomes swamped by the apathy they themselves have engendered.

* Fifth, you can't explain why Shorten and Labor are competitive without reference to policy. Given that Shorten hasn't had a charisma transplant, vacuous non-policy theatre-review analysis simply can't and won't work. Coverage of policy is done better off the campaign trail than on it (wtf does "tapdance a little faster" really mean, and would anyone with more than 10 minutes' experience of politics honestly believe more hype and stunts would improve anything?).

* Sixth, for media organisations looking to cut costs, two months of junkets to produce audience-repellent content is unsustainable. The 'romance of the road' leads to in-jokes and inability to communicate with those who weren't there at the time; which is everyone, and that defeats the very idea of journalism. Everything you had wanted, or will want, to say about the 'romance of the road' has been done in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-j this song . - thanks anyway. The major parties are increasingly creating their own content and are happy to provide it direct to the newsroom for free (no Alice, staffers are not playing journalist, they are working to replace you and you are helping them).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is the guy who represents conservative "balance" on ABC Radio National. This is the most bizarre thing I've read by a Liberal commentator who isn't a shill like Bolt, Devine, or Albrechtsen. So I'm going to rant about it.

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull will lose if he doesn't win back the Liberal base

Tom Switzer
Published: May 16, 2016 - 12:00AM

Only a few months ago, there was widespread gloom and despondency on Opposition benches. Many Labor MPs were preparing for political oblivion. Bill Shorten's prospects had been written off and his leadership regarded as no more than a joke. The knives were being sharpened.

There was, of course, much truth in the criticisms. Shorten had the great misfortune of leading Labor after the disastrous Rudd-Gillard-Rudd era. He was not very good at attracting positive press. The polls showed he was the most unpopular opposition leader since the notoriously useless, though honourable, Brendan Nelson. The royal commission into corrupt unions was supposed to sound the death knell for the embattled former head of the AWU.

[Oh sure, the ALP is BAD, Tom says. But....]

Yet such is the magic of politics, here we are seven weeks before the federal election and Shorten could be our sixth prime minister in as many years. The Labor leader gave Turnbull such a good thumping in their first TV debate on Friday night, you almost expected the moderator David Speers from Sky News to step in to end the bout on grounds of compassion. While the PM was dull and dithering, ill at ease with answering questions from ordinary Australians about hip-pocket issues, Shorten was sound in style and substance. An audience of undecided voters gave it to the challenger by 42 to 29. Add to this the latest Newspoll that shows Labor leading the Coalition 51-49 on a two-party-preferred basis and the election is suddenly up for grabs.

[Suddenly, Tom? No, there's nothing sudden about this. As you seem to acknowledge between the lines.]

Meanwhile, the Dyson royal commission has come and gone, and punters wonder what all the fuss was about. From tax reform to negative gearing to the banking sector, Shorten and his highly impressive shadow treasurer Chris Bowen have exposed a Prime Minister with no coherent direction, exhibiting poor judgment, and swimming increasingly out of his depth.

[Ah soundbite wars, yeah this is some deep analysis]

It takes something close to genius to topple a first-term federal government, something that has not happened since 1931. Yet against all the odds and in defiance of conventional wisdom Shorten could do it. No wonder the Canberra press gallery is coming to believe that he is a more formidable politician than has all too often been portrayed.

Nor is it merely Shorten's weakness that has been exaggerated. So has the strength of his opponent. The impression is steadily growing that the PM has lost his way. Against expectations, Turnbull, who at first seemed so capable and confident, is coming to resemble Kevin Rudd in the first half of 2010: adrift, vacillating and at the mercy of events.

No one could deny that he has made a series of mistakes. Who can forget the failure of nerve when he backed off at the very last moment from prosecuting long-overdue tax reform – and shafting his Treasurer in the process? Or the former merchant banker's advice for young Australians struggling to buy their first home: that their parents should just "shell out" money for them? The Labor party's attack ads are practically writing themselves.

[Hang on. If Turnbull is guilty of anything, it's not repudiating the 2014 budget, or put out a budget that was any different, to say nothing of pushing the rest of the toxic Abbott agenda. He's Abbott lite. That's the problem.]

It was not meant to be like this. When Turnbull backstabbed Tony Abbott last September, the overwhelming media and political consensus was that the former republican activist was bound for greatness. He was, we were told, the new Whitlam, the great reformer who would transform Australia into a beacon of progressiveness. There was a real sense of excitement. In an echo of Harold Macmillan's famous declaration in 1959 that Brits had "never had it so good," Turnbull declared: "There's never been a more exciting time to be an Australian."

But the trouble for any politician exciting high expectations is that they can almost never be fulfilled. And no Australian politician in recent times has ever excited such expectations as Turnbull. His gifts of individuality, intelligence and image management did a terrific job in winning the Liberal leadership. They are of less use in governing, especially in the relentless digital media cycle when every setback and screw-up is magnified.

[People thought he might not be Abbott. But he is, just a really poo poo Abbott who doesn't even eat onions.]

You might say that although the race has narrowed there is still no way Turnbull could fall to a former union leader who knifed two sitting prime ministers. A score of seats, after all, is a lot to lose. But nothing is certain in politics: circumstances can change quickly, and without warning.

Winston Churchill defeated fascism in 1945 only to lose that year's election to a socialist in one of the biggest landslides in British history. George H.W. Bush won the Gulf War and brought the Cold War to a peaceful end only to lose to a womanising, draft-dodging, dope-smoking governor from a backwater state. And John Howard presided over nearly 12 years of unprecedented prosperity before losing to a nerd from Nambour who dined on his own ear wax.

[Uhh what. And excusing the bizarre analogy you seem to be drawing, just why do you think those guys lost, Tom? It's not because you don't like the guys who won, there's a hint.]

What's different about Turnbull is that he has not actually done anything to explain his rapid downhill trajectory. He is no Paul Keating or Campbell Newman, legislating unpopular big-bang reforms in the national interest or spending cuts to rein in budget deficits as far as the eye can see. Contradicting himself almost every week, Turnbull has stood fast in indecision. He has been consistently indecisive.

[I don't see Turnbull being indecisive at all. I see him as not repudiating Abbott's mistakes with any strength at all. They wanted a change and the only backstabbing is from the guys who don't agree.]

I carry no brief for Shorten. I've voted Liberal in every federal election since I was eligible in 1990. But I know many life-long Liberal partisans who won't vote for the Coalition on July 2. Most will even put Labor above Liberal on the ballot paper.

Why? Because they feel Turnbull does not represent their ideals and interests: he won't prosecute the case against Labor's ETS, nor will he unashamedly defend tough border protection. His proposal to change superannuation is just the latest example of betrayal. The party of Menzies, Howard and Costello, remember, is the custodian of the centre-right tradition in Australian politics. He has seven weeks to confound his critics.

[What. Just what. Noone gives a poo poo about the ETS out there. And Dutton is the darling of cattallxyfiles.com. And noone cares if he wins the base, that's not the problem. He's not winning anyone else.]

Tom Switzer is a presenter on ABC's Radio National.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Switzer is an IPA Libertarian, so of course the ABC uses him for balance.

Well that figures, he wants his policy executed by the Right Salesman without any idea of how politics works. Why don't they just do what he tells them? Because people hate your ideas Tom, and noone can sell them.

Birdstrike posted:

And to think that guy is head and shoulders above every other conservative commentator I've read.

He's completely naive. Anidav knows more about how politics works than he does.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's a hell of a rosy poll in Qld. I'd need to know a bit more about it and have some other supporting polls before I spouted off about Qld intentions. As a rule I trust Galaxy a lot less than the other polls anyway.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Try as they might, I don't think Crikey can influence the vote.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh great, then it will be Scott Morrison's Reign of Terror.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Morrison hasn't exactly performed well when he has at to talk about what he is doing at all, his prime ministership would likely be even more comically inept than Abbotts.

Sure, but they'll have to try him at some point. The base don't trust him, so he might be brief, but nasty. The alternatives are loving dire though. It's the same for both parties, though. Albo and Bowen? Nope.

Speaking of brief and nasty, it appears that the Liberal party are indeed hanging Sophie Mirabella out to dry, refusing to spend any money on her campaign at all. She's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A stupid greedy politician, well I never.

• Locked thread