Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

This speech is making me want to throw my phone through the TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Finally we get onto boats boats boats border security

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You know that was a loving painful speech to listen to since my mum called for some technical support for her iPhone and I was overjoyed to have to leave the room.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Got to say that bills speech was surprisingly not terrible

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Already seen ads for both major parties, still waiting for the greens to get in gear

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If you disagree with me ... you’re a racist

DID you know you have to be a dark-skinned, transgendered Muslim in order to voice an opinion publicly these days? Nor did I, but according to some on the far Left, or “Twitter” as it’s otherwise known, that seems to be the minimum requisite for expressing a view in 2016.

I would’ve thought as a woman of Singaporean, eastern European and Jewish heritage, I’m already among the more diverse of columnists gracing the pages of mainstream publications like this one.

But apparently my fair skin and “heteronormativity”, whatever that means, rules me ineligible for comment on a range of issues. Suddenly, whiteness is something we should be ashamed of. Apologise for. Fill ourselves with self-loathing about.

It’s now deemed a valid insult among the social justice warriors who fling around accusations of racism, sexism, homophobia, Islamophobia and, the trendiest of them all, transphobia like they’re freebies on Oprah.

“You’re a racist, you’re a racist, EVERYBODY’S A RACIST!”

The irony, though, is those who preach it most vehemently are the very same people who can’t tolerate it in opinion.

Don’t agree chapter and verse with our new Gold Logie winner Waleed Aly’s grandstanding on The Project?

Racist!

Think the fact SBS World News’ weekend host-turned-cult heroine Lee Lin Chin pulls in less than 150,000 capital city viewers (Saturday night’s episode was ranked 66th in the most-watched programs, behind Scared Shrekless on 9Go!) makes her nomination for the biggest gong somewhat absurd?

Racist and sexist!

Maybe you believe fundamentalist Islam may have, I don’t know, a little something to do with Islamic terror?

Islamophobe!

Troubled by the growing movement encouraging gender-confused children to undergo mutilation in order to find peace with themselves?

Transphobe!

And on and on it goes. But it’s this fear about being branded with monstrous labels that is fuelling a full-blown paranoia about diversity.

In the past week we’ve seen new boss of the taxpayer-funded ABC Michelle Guthrie call for greater diversity in content and staff as her predecessor Mark Scott lamented his big failure was hiring “too many Anglos” during his time at the helm.

ABC Radio staff members have been directed to put more “difficult” accents to air, which is all well and good until the average listener at home has difficulty understanding what’s being said, surely a basic tenet of public broadcasting.

No word on whether Aunty’s new diversity policy will extend to hiring journalists with diverse voting preferences, though I suspect not.

In the UK, the BBC has pledged that within the next four years half its staff will be women, 15 per cent from black, Asian and other minority ethnic groups, 8 per cent disabled and another 8 per cent lesbian, gay or transgender. What about the intersex? Prejudiced Pommy bastards.

But defining diversity isn’t as ­simple as matching skin tones to paint swatches, as I have personally experienced.

In my final years of university more than a decade ago, I was twice shortlisted for a journalism cadetship at SBS, and twice knocked back.

When I rang the station after the second failed attempt to find out what I could improve on, the person on the other end of the line told me that the network was looking for a more ethnically diverse candidate.

Caroline Marcus.
I almost choked on my chilli crab and latkes.

Now SBS bulletins are facing criticism for featuring too many white faces, particularly those belonging to young women.

The concern should be that workplaces so focused on meeting quotas for skin colour or sexual orientation (now that’s an awkward, not to mention illegal, question to ask in a job interview) risk moving from a recruitment policy based on meritocracy to one of pure tokenism.

How will human resources cope should a black lesbian in a wheelchair punt up for an interview? Which pigeonhole will they shove her in?

The hysteria over diversity has become so extreme it is now socially acceptable to attack someone purely for being white or straight.

When I wrote in my previous column about the ridiculousness of the “white privilege” argument in the 60 Minutes furore, espoused by one Fairfax commentator (she was so incensed I’d named her, I won’t do her the courtesy this time) I was accused of being “racist and ignorant”.

My biggest crime, according to her? Being white myself. Oh, and using “scare quotes” (quotation marks to you and me) around the words “white” and “privilege”.

Who knew punctuation is now considered racist? What next, homophobic semi-colons?

Another piece critical of the Greens’ anti-sniffer dog policy earned me accusations of “internalised misogyny” and had me referred disparagingly to as yet another “white, hetero and cis” voice by one gay blog.

For those not fluent in the language of gender politics, “cis” essentially means someone who identifies with the gender they were born with and, yes, it is now considered a verified slur. Of course diversity is worth promoting, but never at the expense of demonising those who don’t fit your particular definition of it.

Caroline Marcus is a journalist with A Current Affair

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I felt dirty just posting that :suicide:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I had to go out to Dalby for work today but I got KFC on the way back so I guess that made it not a complete waste of time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Snod. posted:

Are you from Nauru?

Not the last time I checked

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Snod. posted:

A friend of mine tried soylent and it seemed like it wasn't completely terrible and stupid

From everything I've heard it sounds like it isn't bad tasting or hard to drink, just that it's boring as all hell and misses the fact that we eat food for reasons that aren't just beep boop nutrients go in mouth to make me walk forwards. I guess if you really hate chewing or the taste or texture of any actual food products it'd be pretty good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

So, will we be charging her for the Panadol?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

Got a letter in the mail intended to be official looking and look like its from the AEC, when it's from the ALP.

Probs just gonna write "get hosed you child torturing monsters" and then drawing a bunch of dicks on it before sending it back in its reply paid envelope.

Don't forget to include some glitter, they love that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Goffer posted:

The Opera house has always been a little disappointing up close, I don't think there's much to actually do there unless you go see an opera

Get a drink at the Opera Bar and take photos of the bridge? Always where I take visiting relatives/friends, it's the lowest effort/best reward thing to do in Sydney for people from out of town/country.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Comstar posted:

If the ALP is smart

I think I found the weak link in the plan

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a link to his meltdown? Sounds like something fun to read over a lunchtime beer.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Im in sydney its a miracle if i meet someone who knows afl is a sport and not a sitcom alien typo

One of my favourite things about the city.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't get it since if the options are "gently caress the poor" and "gently caress the poor a little less" it's still in their interests to select option B rather than just do nothing and accept A. Even though B isn't good, it's still a net benefit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Um I've been informed it is a beautiful utopia, stop spreading FUD

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You Am I posted:

Yet somehow he is still a better person than most of the politicians

So's the kangaroo poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The results showed a massive amount of ignorance about the basic facts of the election. Clearly this is an accurate poll of the average Australian.

• Locked thread