Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/02/widow-of-refugee-who-set-himself-alight-being-kept-in-hotel-and-denied-a-lawyer

They're going to play all these various 'snuck out to the media' recordings in a holocaust museum one day.

Send every single member of the LIberal and Labour governments off as war criminals. The lot of them should be hanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
How is that message ever going to proliferate in the minds of people making choices if they don't risk losing their jobs in latte sipping seats across the country or stare wide-eyed at the prospect of a significant portion of their vote coming from people who wouldn't vote for them as a first option because of their horrible policies

Oh wait I forgot AusPol let's just pack up the placards and go home early because people won't vote greens because greens will never form government

edit: the only game worth playing is a game you win, instantly and completely, because that's all this is right a big game of winners takes all

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Pru Goward's sister Pen was a lecturer of mine who was awesome. One time she walked in, talked for five minutes, then said gently caress it see you next week. She also helped me get my honours thesis back under control. That's the only thing Pru has going for her IMO.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm terrified that being "wooed back to work" will involve lower income mothers choosing between working without benefit or eating their own young to survive and higher income mothers getting a taxpayer subsidised wet nurse.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Free seems doubtful under the banner of living within our means. Even if it was free I'm not certain we have capacity to give free childcare to everyone who wanted it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't think they've put in any carrot for the many many people earning less than $80,000 a year.

RBA, Jesus loving wept.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
People earning less than 80k probably aren't making the killing you imagine out of negative gearing.

See, you actually need money in the first place in order to buy a supplemental house to negatively gear it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh we're going to put in superannuation taxes for people earning 250k out of their superannuation, so people with millions of dollars super balances, wow, really targetting the loop holes buddy good job.

edit: Or wait was it taxing their contributions to super? I forget. Either way it's pissing in the wind.

edit edit: like it's better than nothing but calling it just and fair in the face of everything being slapped out of the hands of the actual lower class (because the middle class doesn't exist, it's a lie to keep you from eating the rich).

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 3, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Wow so they're doubling down on "Get hosed poors"

Not unexpected but it's certainly a ballsy election pitch.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Even Tony pulled a PPL scheme out of his rear end until the party could grudgingly shove it back up there

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Virginia has the option of endless slave labour that costs her nothing as her costs per slave are subsidied to the tune of $1000, or 10 weeks of slave labour.

Virginia can then elect to promote the slave to an employee at a cost of $(minimum wage)-385 subsidy or she can get a fresh slave with a fresh $1000 subsidy.

In a world where cafe owners try to convince people that they run the shop alone because "dincha know hiring help costs OVER $50 AN HOUR m8" Virginia ain't going to be played for a fool and keeps a rotating roster of slaves.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They already outsourced all the call centres so relocating the jobs to take advantage of a temporary scheme seems unlikely. Plus they often work with soft phones, scripts, policies and internal systems that take at least a couple of weeks to get the hang of before you're flying solo.

It'll be unskilled labourers, shelf stockers, tedious fiddly office poo poo like staples and stuffing envelopes. The kind of poo poo where you point someone at a problem and give them a 2 minute debrief before closing the door behind you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I do find that even the gap charge doctors in my area are still very reasonable and will let me go through as a bulk billing patient if I'm just in for something very quick like a script refill or referral update.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Has anyone in the media seriously and specifically called out the repeated assertion of 80k as middle income? Because SloMo kept saying middle income over and over and over and over and over in his mini presser this morning and it makes my loving blood boil because surely if it's middle income I should know a few people who earn that much

Better yet has anyone asked him how his brain handles the cognitive dissonance of $80k as "middle income" when the pension tops out at just under $23k per single and newstart allowance tops out at just under $14k ($15k if they have children such generosity!) for a single.

I don't even think the people holding the loving microphones at these events earn $80k

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The concept of middle class is meant to represent the typical person in a society not a perversion of statistics. Referring to a wage of the (approximately) top quartile as typical is the kind of bullshit politicking that's meant to be pulled apart and exposed by political reporting. So far I haven't really seen that happen.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

quote:

Asked at Sunday's press conference whether ordinary Australians earning well below $80,000 would be getting tax cuts, Morrison said the answer would be revealed on budget night. It'll have to be no. There are too many of them.

Partially speculative from before budget night, but better than nothing I suppose. I haven't read The Age since it morphed into the Herald Sun with a weaker paywall.

edit: and "Comments are now closed" so it's shut down for post-budget opining.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I did a surface scratch search for '80,000 budget' on The Guardian and ABC news. If I just searched for '80,000' I wasn't getting budget related results.

The first search result of an article after the budget for The Guardian was:
Bracket creep changes in budget to save 500,000 from second-top marginal tax rate
Largely focused on bracket creep and while it drops numbers it doesn't put them in perspective, for example it says "According to statistics from the Tax Office, over 2.5m taxpayers earn more than $80,000 a year." but doesn't explicitly translate that to the proportion of the population with reported incomes. This is an example of the failures of reporting I am talking about.

The first search result of an article after budget night for ABC news was:
Budget criticised as unfair and hollow
This article is mostly focused on the idea of "Labor ministers are warning that the 2016 budget leaves average families worse off, and while Labor will not block the tax cut for people earning above $80,000, it is dismissing it as only enough for a coffee and a biscuit." or "JON FAINE: But Prime Minister the flaw in that thinking is that people on $60-70-80,000 a year - they don't have spare money to put into super. They're struggling just to get by." and generally saying the tax cuts are meagre, without actually arguing the assertion of middle income. So not even avoiding the explicit outline of who is benefiting, it's an interview perpetuating the Howard Battler.

I'm not putting in a lot of effort on this search because I'm at work but let's pretend I'm rushing off to watch Masterchef or something. It should be clearly visible when someone searches for this poo poo: "Hey, guys, you are probably getting hosed. 75% (or some other more specific statistical analysis of the figures) of you are getting hosed. This is hosed."

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Negligent doesn't understand means vs medians, Amethyst doesn't understand household vs personal income, I don't understand why anyone bothers loving replying to any of them.

Ignored posters are still shown in the post composition page. At least that's the cause of my issues.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Negligent not getting his way with bad statistics resorts to making jokes about poster's murdered relatives :thumbsup:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Read the article, it's the training and job prep part that's compulsory.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Thanks Grog, it's the middle income chat we had to have.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
itshappening.gif

(he is at the lodge anyway)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Let's play Political Lawn Bowls, who can answer honestly and get the closest to the party they intend to vote for (I'm chuffed and a little surprised honestly how close I am).

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

Is there any basis to this other than the claims of Michael Danby, the dude who is preferring the Liberals above the Greens in his own electorate?

More specifically, Michael Danby, the dude who is preferring the Liberals above the Greens in his own electorate which contains the local seat of Prahran which was knife edge Liberal/Green and went Green on preferences.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
To be fair, she's a Queenslander named after a tree. She never stood a chance.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
A duopoly is not a competition.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
So, the executive summary as I'm reading it, "I like Green policies but I don't like arts students and hipsters. Also the greens won't form government because nobody votes for the greens because the greens won't form government because~"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
How do you solve a problem like Maria? Is it the role of all candidates to solve the problem, not all problems are solvable, not all problems are problems, not having a solution doesn't mean the protest is invalid, etc etc

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Or is this entire thing her making the point that nobody votes for the trots because the trots won't form government? :aaaaa:

Yeah but there's that angry lit review in the middle that she got paid for that deserves to also be recognised in the summary IMO

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I can't quite tell if the NZ housing crisis is a warning for Australia in the future or a hidden element of Australia in the present.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/new-zealand-housing-crisis-forces-hundreds-to-live-in-garages-tents-and-cars

eta: "hidden" as in we hear about people living with their parents into their 30s but, to my knowledge, they're usually in spare bedrooms rather than sheds and tents.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 17, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I believe Dutton is referring to illiterate, innumerate refugees on welfare who will take your job when we are all fired to make way for PaTH interns

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
More importantly, gambling is usually giving your money to someone who knows better than you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Wow. That unregistered 2.3 million dollar house looks like a poo poo hole.

What house price bubble?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There only defense I think they have pulled to not being political is that the investigation was called by the nbn co not the government, but the nbn co board was sacked and replaced with liberal shills I thought.

It's definitely ratty.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
When I was <7 for I have no idea how long I had a nanny, or au pair, or live in baby-sitter or whatever word suits. I'm pretty sure she worked in exchange for board but who knows if there was other money changing hands. My mum was a single working mother, my dad died and mum worked in the public service so we weren't rich or upper class either. The girl who took care of me was from the country, so it suited her to stay with us in inner melb, and sometimes I would go stay with her family during kinder/school holidays. Having help in the house doesn't make him rich. Being rich makes him rich.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's a cunning plan, my lord, but if the notionally Labour seats go Green instead how is a minority Liberal government going to be any better for them than the current hostile senate?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Endman posted:

It either means he's rich or not paying them enough. Or, in this case, due to our lovely IR laws, both.

Maybe I'm part of the problem but I don't actually see what is wrong with exchanging board for wages, that is sum total greater than min wage per hour, for jobs where the workplace has accommodation. Like, if you had to live on a resort island/ski lodge/outdoor camp for work and you salary sacrificed or whatever your accommodations where the net result was a fair wage, because you would have spent that money on living expenses anyway, but the on-paper pay was less. It doesn't seem like exploitation to me unless the workplace is also otherwise exploitative, e.g. you're paid on an hourly basis but don't have set work hours so you're expected to be permanently on-call above and beyond the paid amount.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 20, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Comstar posted:

this is a taste of things to come with any leak the Liberal party dosn't like.

I suspect that's half the point.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That's because he posts about 6 times more than our median posters: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3774162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Is there a best hits of the meltdown or just that one post? I don't wanna have to manually read his steam of consciousness triple posting.

• Locked thread