Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Slow draft time. Let's slow draft.

Slow draft? Slow draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can we all agree that Kelvin Benjamin should have been valued way higher in the drafts this year? He smashed all of the projections last night against one of the strongest secondaries in the league.

Just got finished bragging on him in my Goon League thread. I'm so glad football is back.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
With Gronk out this weekend I'm scrambling, and I just read a glowing recommendation for Clive Walford, the TE for Oakland. Is he a better look than Charles Clay (my current backup TE)? Kyle Rudolph and Jordan Cameron are both available as well, at least I recognize those names...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nice, Vance was available. Thanks friend

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was forced to take a backup TE in this particular league because there's a limit on RBs (5) and WRs (4). IIRC that's a default ESPN setting

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
SIMS

SIIIIIIIIIIIIMS

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

So what's the deal with Freeman and Tevin Coleman? Looks like even split in workload...

In a standard scoring league where Woodhead is my RB4, should I go for the home run and drop Woodhead for Coleman?!

Let's at least wait until the game's over to ask such questions :rolleyes:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't want to wait, I want to get excited about getting this year's breakout RB :D

I guess if I can overreact after Thursday's game you can overreact halfway through multiple Sunday games :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Riven posted:

This is my first time playing FF, was hoping I could get some advice/input on my roster since I'm obviously not getting any from the other people in my league.

My lineup this week was:

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Spencer Ware
WR: Allen Robinson
WR: Aishon Jeffery
TE: Delanie Walker
FLEX: Donte Montcrief
FLEX: DeSean Jackson
D/ST: Packers
K: Roberto Aguayo

Bench:

Jamaal Charles RB
Stephen Gostkowski K
Ameer Abdullah RB
Phillip Rivers QB
Jerick McKinnon RB
Jets D/ST
Antonio Gates TE

Having never done this and being only a casual follower of football up to now, I mainly made my choices based on ESPN's projected points. But I hate losing things, so I want to get better and deepen my understanding.

First, I guess was there any way I could/should have known about how much better the Jets would perform over the Packers D? Or that Peterson would get shut down so much? I don't feel bad about playing Wilson, I feel like that was a luck of the draw, couldn't be known ahead of time thing, but I'm kicking myself over the Defense choice and not playing Ameer Abdullah or Gostkowski (who was projected at a point less than Aguayo).

I'm also thinking about putting Jamaal Charles in my IR slot right now, and picking up Tajae Sharp, given that he's available and got more attention than people thought he would?

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

First off, I think your team looks pretty good for a person who's in their first FF league, so good job there!

Like Forever_Peace and TUS said, it's better to focus your time and attention on acquiring good RBs and WRs. You don't really need a backup TE, QB, K, or Def until you do, and there's always going to be serviceable options in the free agency for those. RBs and WRs, or at least talented/highly productive ones, will be harder to come by, so having more of them increases your chances.

Also this: don't overthink the kicker, and certainly don't blame yourself for failing to start the one that got more points. That will keep happening no matter how good you get. I mean, you could try to pick up a kicker on a team with a matchup that will be conducive to that team being forced to kick a lot of field goals, but I think you'll find that it's pretty much a crapshoot across the board with very few exceptions. Again, focus your research time and efforts to uncovering the sleeper RBs and WRs and you'll be happier overall.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MalleusDei posted:

Welp, blew my load in week 1. Won't get any better, I reckon...

Goddamn dude! Nice looks. I'll be pulling for you to break 200 tonight. That way, when you inevitably poo poo the bed the rest of the season, you can blame me if you'd like

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SeannieDarko posted:

Ugh Tyrodasaurus Rex really screwed me this week. Do I stick with him another week or pick up another QB?

Available:

Garoppolo
Alex Smith
Ryan
Wentz
Cutler
Cousins

I currently have a waiver in for Garoppolo.

I wouldn't be stoked about it or anything but I'd much rather have Alex Smith than Tyrod

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

Should I spend a chunk of change on Fozzy Whitaker is he an illusion?

I'd classify him as a competent handcuff a la DeAngelo Williams or Spencer Ware. If J Stew is kept out by this injury next week he'll absolutely be a great plug and play RB2, and if J Stew goes out for an extended period of time I'd say he should absolutely be owned in any 10 team or higher league. But when J Stew is active, no, there's probably not much use in starting Fozzy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cervixalot posted:

Just curious, but why would you consider him on the level of a DeAngelo or Ware? Both of those guys are extremely talented RBs in great situations that have shown they can produce RB1 weeks.

JStew has missed a good amount of time over the past few seasons, and it always seems to be a morass of an RBBC with a mix of Whittaker, Tolbert and CAP with nobody startable.

Yeah, after going back and looking at just how well DWill and Ware have produced, it's probably not fair to put Fozzy on that level. But I think his usage should be considered the same, just on an RB2 level rather than an RB1 level like those guys.

E: Also, I think this week we were shown that Carolina has rethought their original plan of the backup RBBC, instead featuring Fozzy in a more singular role than before. Didn't see ANY of CAP, and Tolbert saw just about as much action as he sees with J Stew in.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Forever_Peace posted:

OK here's the rotoworld list so we can point and laugh together:

1. Jerick McKinnon
2. Matt Asiata
3. Cameron Artis-Payne
4. Dwayne Washington
5. Jay Ajayi
6. Alfred Morris
7. Kenyan Drake
8. Jordan Howard
9. Fozzy Whittaker

In what reality does taking Cameron Artis Payne over Fozzy Whittaker make sense :psyduck:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Forever Peace meltdown in 3...2...1...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ware will still continue to be one of the most effective handcuffs in the league regardless of what sort of timeshare he is or isn't in with Jamaal Charles. As a guy who owns shares of Jamaal without owning shares of Ware in a league or two, I would absolutely hang onto Ware for as long as possible even after Jamaal takes over the brunt of the workload.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone remind me who ASJ is since literally nobody has used the man's full name in the past 2 pages?

e: nvm, found it. Austin Seferian-Jenkins in case anyone was as confused as I was

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

You get any and all points from any player no matter what position you start them in.

Except in the Goon All IDP league where you don't get any extra points for defensive touchdowns :(

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last year's league champ is trying to jockey for some better RBs. His current offer is my Christine Michael for his Big Ben, straight up. I countered with the same deal for Rodgers instead but he's not buying it. He said he'd be willing to do Rodgers if I gave him Michael plus one more of my starters, and then I could probably demand one of his starters in turn.

I'm on the right, he's on the left. Would it be a mistake for me to let go of Michael? Is all of this worth if for the upgrade at QB that I need?

E: 12 man league, 0 ppr, ESPN

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pubic works project posted:

poo poo. I'd let him sink. It's his own dumbass fault for drafting 3 QBs when he didn't need to. He's smart for not taking the Rodgers - Michael deal, but I'd be reluctant to part with CMike just for Big Ben. I feel like he's going to end up being the starter.

Who's on the wire?

RBs: Darkwa, Dwayne Washington, Jordan Howard, West, McCluster, Others

QB: Gabbert, Fitzpatrick, Flacco, Osweiler, Bradford, Others

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

Last year's league champ is trying to jockey for some better RBs. His current offer is my Christine Michael for his Big Ben, straight up. I countered with the same deal for Rodgers instead but he's not buying it. He said he'd be willing to do Rodgers if I gave him Michael plus one more of my starters, and then I could probably demand one of his starters in turn.

I'm on the right, he's on the left. Would it be a mistake for me to let go of Michael? Is all of this worth if for the upgrade at QB that I need?

E: 12 man league, 0 ppr, ESPN

Trade is evolving...would it be in my best interest to try something like Rodgers for McCoy, straight up? I feel like he just may bite, but would I be losing too much there?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Which of these RBs looks best ROS as a trade target: Matt Asiata, Carlos Hyde, or Mike Davis? Also, which one can I most realistically expect to get for Jack Doyle?

McKinnon and Sproles are also potential targets, but they're in starter slots so he'll probably not be interested in parting with them.

Also, which one can I most realistically expect to get for Jack Doyle?

I've sort of slipped keeping up with the week to week news so forgive me if one of those is a huge outlier or something!

E: Yeah, after a bit more research, I doubt I could get Carlos Hyde, for instance...

timp fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 26, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RBX posted:

Charles should come online soon

Will he though? I'm starting to seriously lose faith...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

Me too, friend. Me too.

I tried offloading my shares several times yesterday; turns out nobody else wants anything to do with him either!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What a great day to flex Hurns :unsmith:

...like I had a choice. :smith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

VietCampo posted:

With Justin Tucker on bye, i need to pick up a replacement Kicker, but who do i drop?

Justin Tucker

Seriously, I don't think you should drop any of those guys for a kicker, even the best kicker

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody in the league has complained. This is a dynasty money league; having very clear and comprehensive rules means not having lovely drama and fights and stuff. And we hashed out the rules before the startup draft in 2015, as a group, so everyone had a chance to know and agree to them before we got going.

I mean, I could have flattened the structure of the rules numbering, of course, but using deep trees of nested rules shows a hierarchy and doesn't really hurt anything.

Aka it was written by a goon aka say no more :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody out there taking a shot on Terron Ward @ TB this weekend? Looks like Tevin Coleman is out...Will Ward see enough production to warrant a desperation RB flyer over, say, Bilal Powell?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've mentioned it a couple times in these threads throughout the years, but I'm very annoyed with my College Buddy ESPN League having a limit on RBs and WRs. We can only have 5 of each. And last year, it was 5 WRs and 4 RBs. So I'm trying to drop Austin Hooper, Atl's TE, now that Gronk's back from his bye, but there's literally nobody I can really grab. I ended up stashing the Packers D because the QB free agency is a rolling tumbleweed and there are no RBs or WRs better than the ones on my current roster, though there are some good ones I'd consider stashing if I could.

Is this an ESPN default? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing our commish would come up with on his own, but unfortunately it's not going to change anytime soon in our league because last time we talked about it, the consensus was that it's a good thing because it helps us value our skill players more. It's still lame though.

Diving right into Fantasy this morning as a welcome distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I can turn Christine Michael into Frank Gore, is that good for me?

• Locked thread