Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Quentin Quire is one of those characters where I don't get at all what people see in him.

Morrison and Aaron wrote the hell out of him. And he's an interesting character in that when he's written well you could see him being either a young Xavier or a young Magneto and you're curious which it's going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlmightyBob posted:

I had a ton of 70s and 80s xmen too but yeah mostly.

80's X-Men are the best X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Rachel Summers also may have the least confusing history of anyone with the last name Summers. That's impressive.

I think you need a degree in a form of physics that hasn't yet been invented to fully understand the Summers family tree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

J. Michael Stracynzski was still writing a ton of stuff for Marvel after 50, some of it pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

One of the comic shops had 50% off their second hand graphic novels (which they have a fair amount of) so I managed to grab Gamain's Black Orchid because why not.

I like that book, McKean art and a Superhero story explicitly about how punching isn't the answer. Imagine how pissed I was when I read Justice League Dark when New 52 launched.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I just learned that George Zimmerman is auctioning off the gun he used to murder Trayvon Martin. I am officially considering cryogenically freezing myself until 2016 is over.

I'm not in favor of killing anyone, even Zimmerman, but, hypothetically, if someone bought that gun just so they could kill Zimmerman with it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

So my middle school students have started getting into New Teen Titans. And because I have red hair and a beard, they think I look like Terry Long. And they've started calling me Mr. Long.

I'm considering making it an automatic detention or just quitting my job.

loving embrace it, that's sorta the only way to deal with middle school bullshit. Middle school children are the worst human beings to ever exist.

Making it an automatic detention means that it's the only thing they will ever refer to you if you're not in earshot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unless they bring back Superman's red underwear DC will still be complete poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Anyone that actually read the book should see the clues that it's some kind of reality fuckery by Red Skull. The woman that introduces Steve's mom (and seems to know an awful lot about her) to Hydra in the flashback is named Sinclair and the only color in the otherwise black and white flashbacks is red, including her hat and scarf.

Is that her first or last name? If it's her first Spencer needs to study up on his French because it's a boys name without an E at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Last name. First name Elisa.

I figured. My name IRL first name is Sinclair and whenever my name pops up in movies or TV shows it is almost always the last name of an evil woman.

Weird though that a front woman for a German nationalist group has a French/British last name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

He wasn't back in those halcyon days of the Brubaker run. I miss non-jerk Comics Steve Rogers.

He wasn't in most of his earlier stuff too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Can we take a moment again to appreciate how amazing Thunderbolts #1 was

It's a loving shame they only have like the first 4 issues on Marvel Unlimited before skipping to like issue 38.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I really hope they do a kill-everybody cliffhanger for Infinity War part 1 so they can do a Thunderbolts movie in the interim.

I like where you're going, but it involves Thanos' plan includes a) kill everyone who could stop him and b) don't complete his plan for several months.

Thunderbolts exists because the Avengers appeared to die while succeeding in stopping Onslaught, there was no part 2.

Now that I say it that would be a good ending for Infinity 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

The paucity of the back catalog outside of the headliners is my one criticism of Unlimited.

In fairness, if you check out the "added this week" section, once you scroll past comics from 6 months ago they add a couple dozen or so deep cuts from the back issues. I wouldn't expect Thunderbolts until a movie is announced, it's mostly been 90's X-men recently, and before that Doctor Strange around when the first trailer popped up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

For the people who follow Marvel much more closely, what was the last BIG gently caress up by Marvel. Like, if The Outhouse had a counter for Marvel, what are the kind of things that would reset it?

The captain America spoiler. That MIGHT be a bad idea, but it's one I want to actually see if they manage to make it work. A good story can actually come out of this.

Axis was mostly thought of as poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really dig that cover of Iceman making out with Mystique while half melted into the ground.

I've been slowly reading through Claremont's X-Men and the few times he shows up early on, he comes off as kinda gay in the way a book from the late 70's /early 80's had to portray it to keep the comics code from catching on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Decius posted:

One issue with Bobby being bisexual is that it makes it very easy for later writers to de-facto undo it, and you end up with Hercules, Deadpool or Constantine (sans the current run, which is great in this regard), who are theoretically bisexual but only romantically involved with women. I think that's something Bendis wanted to prevent, clumsily as it was done.

New 52 Constantine is bi? That's cool (I knew he he was bi in Hellblazer, I just assumed that got quietly swept under the table when he got integrated into the main universe). Also didn't know Deadpool was ever written as bi.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

The artist dropped out of an upcoming Hit Girl series and Mark Millar is asking for submissions on a plain ol' blog post.
It is so weird seeing a pile of decently experienced people sell themselves in a comment section.
http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/would-you-like-10-000-plus-royalties-an-issue-to-draw-hit-girl/5976

$80,000 dollars a year plus royalties is a pretty decent chunk of change. If I was an artist I would almost certainly jump at this if I wasn't tied to anything else.

Edit: It also seems like way too much money, how well did Kick-rear end 2 sell?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 30, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It does seem kind of insane, do artists on top 10 selling books even make that much?

I have to assume the writer is being paid as much too and I'm trying to figure out how many issues you need to sell to pay 20,000 plus the colorist and the letterer and all of the publishing costs, and make a profit for the company.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The real money is in the licensing deal they'll make for movies/motion comics/merchandise.

Yeah, but the character has already been in movies and was popular. I don't know why a Hit Girl comic needs to exist for a Hit Girl movie to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Loki isn't Lucifer, neither is Hela.

• Locked thread