Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It''s a good thing to notice how they don't bleed at all. The typical doctrine is "slash it if it's made of meat, stab it if it's wrapped in metal", but there's no use poking holes into the armor if it doesn't seem there's anything to hurt inside it.

On my deprived runs, I spared my dagger's durability by just two-hand-bashing them to death with the little wooden shield. Did about as much damage as a single slash, just took a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

e: actually no that's probably a bad idea

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

He could just go back to Majula at any point in time and buy one.

Not yet. Not before changing course.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And it'd actually do some appreciable damage on backstabs, too. The broken swords have a bonus multiplier so close to nil that the theatric double-slash on the enemy's back is just the same thing as two regular attacks.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It does have the undocumented perk of having a really low Stamina cost per swing. There's a few things you could do with a platform like that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Decus posted:

Geop encountered the greatest problem with dark souls 2: lack of ragdoll corpses.

yeah I mean what the heck. the physics engine is just so much less mirthful, even the boxes and shelves don't explode all over the place like they should when you roll through them

(protip: they seem to respond to poise damage! R2 a greatsword or a big hammer in a storage room and the box splinters fly like shrapnel)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And it's also in Dark Souls 3, same as it ever was.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

so is there any actual sensible reason to use the broken thief sword for anything

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

message ahead

weakness: message

be wary of message

message?

e: "nice job, bloodstain!" in the right place also gets some giggles in Majula sometimes

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Powerstancing Estus Flasks is why there are shards all over the loving place:

it begins

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

MGlBlaze posted:

But it does seem those barrels explode far more readily now. I definately remember they needed fire to blow up before and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it.

Fire Longsword

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm not positive on the status of every single goddamn barrel in the game, but the powder kegs in the first half of Cellblock Givsmethawillies are the only ones I've ever been able to blow up by pretending that I'm a firebomb and hurling myself at them

and even those I've sometimes managed to roll through without incident

e: wait no there was a second set too! the ones tucked in the corner of that barrel room in LB

scamtank fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 22, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, it's complicated and non-relative. 1600 damage from distance and chuftiness is the "chunky salsa" threshold where no mitigating factors can save you (Fall Control, the ultimate parachute technique, reduces it by 1599).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The most bullshit thing about the "sword bastard" -type shambler is that charge where he braces that sword to his midsection and just runs you through. Even if Goönther hadn't been weak enough to die from a falling leaf, it would've procced damage like four times and probably insta-killed him anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

As much as Geop understands and values the whole loneliness aspect of the game, I do hope he makes use of the new SotFS guest star phantoms. The ones that have neat humanizing behavior and appear through small white signs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Thank heavens that From didn't think to add a soul utilization efficiency % next to the soul memory count. It would've broken people.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I wonder whose bright goddamn idea it was to tie the chest opening speed to stats

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

yeah I can dig the "slipped through the cracks of reality" thing over the rusty sewer that is the northern undead asylum

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bucklers are technically the "easymode" parrying planks, but something about the timing just hosed me up so hard in DS2. I had the best time with small shields like Geop's, which don't catch blades for any longer than normal, but the windup is faster and recovery is way faster than either bucklers or kite shields. I actually ended up reinforcing and using that specific Iron Parma he's got for its high stability and damage resistances for the category.

You just need to know in advance which specific small shields have a secret set of "loving garbage at parrying" attributes and steer clear of those. (we haven't seen any yet)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i wonder what this lp's iconic goonther hat will end up being (it won't be that dumbass iron pot)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

they also knock you around like halberd strikes, so even if you block in time but have not-a-lot of stamina for whatever reason lmao the first one just staggers you straight away so the two follow-ups kill the gently caress out of you

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The basic caveman Club has a much more swordy set of R1 attacks than the mace/hammer-type ones.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It wasn't that dark in the base game, I think. They deliberately went back and threw in some torch fodder in the remix.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

tbqh i wouldn't be displeased if that feather cap ended up being the basic geop.hat for this playthrough

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Scholar does have one totes guaranteed spear, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

vwelp, nothing to add

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

they put so much polish into Shalquoir's blinking, loafing and ear wiggles

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I think my go-to method for remote jar tipping ended up being darkblobs from my scoped sorcerer staff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Attestant posted:

I'm not a huge fan of some deliveries, even if they have the intended effect. Like for example I dislike how the Emerald Herald sounds so flat all the time. I'm sure she's intended to sound a bit distant and odd, but in my ears the effect sounds like a voice actor who REALLY phoned it in.

I wonder if Japan will ever really get that those acting directions don't go right at all when you apply them to lines spoken in English

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You don't get an unlimited stock anywhere, no, but there should be at least one that responds to trickery.

However, it's easy to find enough to get everything important. I also think you can afford to miss one or two if you want to de-stone absolutely everything everywhere forever.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 7, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

double nine posted:

so does anything happen if you light all the sconces in the gutter?

in this gutter, yes

but actually *finding* all the sconces, though

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dastardly posted:

Pretty sure the wicked eye shield was one of the shield design contest winners.

hell yeah it was, I think they did the original justice

one of these winners actually got visually changed in Scholar, I hope the shoulder devils will bring that one up when it comes

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 19, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

So now that we've left The Gutter, what happens when you light all the scones in sotfs?

as soon as it's done, a secret bagel spawns at the bottom

scamtank fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't think I've ever cleared out Black Gulch without abusing the fact that while bonfires respawn the enemies, the statues reassemble themselves only behind loading screens.

• Locked thread