Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks so much for the prompt response, I appreciate it! My only question is: do you think that motherboard would be able to support whatever video card comes out a year or two from now if I change my mind and decide I want to try out VR? I plan on passing on it for now since none of the games/tech demos appeal to me outside of Elite Dangerous, and I don't want to be paying 800 bucks to play one computer game. But by 2017 or 2018 maybe my tune will change!

You see people running brand new cards on 4-5 year old motherboards. Barring some radical changes (unlikely), if it fits in the PCI-e slot, it'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

crazyfish posted:

So i'm looking to put together a new gaming PC after not owning one since Ivy Bridge and I've got a couple of potentially dumb questions. I generally keep up with CPUs and storage (as they're relevant to my job) but I'm way out of the loop on video cards, monitors, cases and even Windows (I haven't run Windows as my primary OS since my previous Ivy Bridge desktop died).

1) Is overclocking with a 'K' CPU really as simple as load EFI menu, uptick multiplier? I seem to remember a long while back (maybe before the K series was a thing) that overclocking involved disabling frequency scaling (leading to significantly higher idle power consumption/heat generation)- is this just my brain playing tricks on me? If not, is it still relevant today? I'm generally planning on keeping this machine powered off unless I'm actively using it, but I don't want make my office an inferno if I have to leave it on to download a patch overnight or something.
2) Is it crazy of me to want to build the system now and suffer with onboard graphics until the new generation of Nvidia cards drops this summer? I do have some low-power/vintage games that would probably do fine on integrated that I'm interested in playing to tide me over.

1). Pretty much. Maybe raise the voltage if it isn't stable at whatever multiplier. Though newer BIOSes even have a "PRESS THIS TO OVERCLOCK" button that bumps it up 400-500 Mhz without a hassle.

2). Not really, but you CAN buy an EVGA graphics card now and use their Step-up program to upgrade to the new stuff when it comes out, and just pay the difference.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

naughty_penguin posted:

So I think I'm ready to commit to a new PC. It's been a year or so since I had a PC at all, so I have a catalog of old games to work through, starting at about the time GTAV came out. I also want to be able to play the new Dark Souls with high settings.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? About $1000. I already have a Windows licence
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: *CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1072.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 19:37 EDT-0400

I'm good with waiting a week or so to see if any prices change with the upcoming Nvidia thing, but I just worked my rear end off to get a new job and I want to reward myself with a new toy. Let me know if I should consider any changes.

Made some adjustments:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1010.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 20:26 EDT-0400

1. Upgraded your CPU cooler to the better H7 for $10 more.
2. Maximus mobos are generally way overkill in most cases. Swapped it out to, a more sensible, but still good Z170 ASRock one.
3. EVGA's NEX PSUs aren't great. Swapped it out for their much better GS line, for an extra $3.
4. Tossed in a wifi card to make up for the Pro4S' lack of built in wifi. Feel free to omit this if you want to go wired.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Comatoast posted:

If the main concern is keeping the noise at bay, is there anything comparable in m-atx or mini-itx?

The Fractal Design Nano S is just an itx version of the R5.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Brovine posted:

Question for you guys: My current plans involve getting a GTX960. Given the recent announcements are for high end cards, would you expect there to be much price change at the middle/lower end of the market? Should I wait a bit, or should I just go ahead?

People are already selling their 980Tis for like $350, 970s will probably go for sub 200 very soon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Treebeh posted:

Hello, I'm posting here asking for feedback on my current build list. I live in the US. This system will primarily be used for gaming but also basic 3D work in Maya and Unity as well as quite a bit of Photoshop work. My budget goal is to keep everything under $1500. One of my main gaming goals is to be able to run GTA V online at 1080p resolution with 60 fps. I've been told that this hardware is more than powerful enough for that. I'm mostly posting to see if anyone can point out incompatibilities between the mobo, processor, video card, ram, etc. Any recommendations for different cases, keyboards, or monitors are welcome as well. Thanks a lot for any feedback!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.24 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 24GM77 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G510s Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1250.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 22:33 EDT-0400

I made some adjustments:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Keyboard: Logitech G510s Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1403.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 23:03 EDT-0400

1. Upgraded you to an i7 because photoshop could really use the hyperthreading.
2. The old motherboard wasn't compatible with DDR4 memory (which Skylake requires) for some reason. I got you one that is.
3. 16 GB of DDR4 memory because Photoshop can be quite the memory hog at times.
4. A good CPU cooler because the 6700k doesn't come with a stock cooler. This can handle a decent overclock too if you so desire.
5. Upgraded your video card to something than can handle 1080p much better. Note, Nvidia announced their new graphics cards literally yesterday, so I suggest this EVGA card and use their Step-Up program to upgrade to the next gen for cheap (if you so desire).
6. Swapped out your PSU for a cheaper and better one.
7. If your goal is GTA5 @ 60fps there's not much point in getting a 144Hz monitor. I downgraded you to a 60Hz IPS one to keep everything under-budget.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

It was what I got. Thanks. Still nervous, but I want to thank all of you for your help!

Argh, now I am worried because the freaking lift up arm is creaking a bit when I try and set it.

That's normal, and it does take some pressure to get the cpu in place.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

What is your case?

E: beaten

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm thinking about throwing a Linux distro (ubuntu studio specifically) on my machine, but really don't feel like reformatting and reinstalling Windows just to free up some partition space on my ssd. Would it be worth picking up another ssd or would an hdd still boot and run pretty quick?

Any reason you're not going for a VM?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

I thought the new GeForce's were supposed to be cheap-ish, but I'm only seeing them $700+? Or am I confusing something?

Nope, the 1080 is the new big daddy with the 1070 being a step below it at around $380 ($500 for Founders edition).

AMD's new cards are supposed to be the cheap-ish ones.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Are there any nice looking, windowed cases that can fit in an 18in tall x 9in wide space and can fit a 240-280mm AIO as front intake? I know the Define Nano S fits this criteria, but that's it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Are there any good alternatives as far as mini-ITX cases go? I'm looking for low noise, filtered intake fans, and the ability to fit a GTX 1070 or 1080 plus a Cooler Master 212-X CPU cooler (158mm high).

I was considering the Fractal R5, but it't be nice to have something smaller.

The Fractal Design Nano S is just a shrunk down version of the R5, and should fit the bill nicely.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tony Homo posted:

Thank you! Hate to ask a dumb question but you said the GeForce was a bad deal but am wondering why and what's the difference between your card and one from the magazine. I'm a big noob.

The 980 was the initial high-end card of last generation, with the 980Ti coming out sometime later with better performance and an overall higher price/performance ratio.

Think of the 980Ti as the GTX 990, but it's not called that because lol marketing.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 16, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Goddamn the CRYORIG cooler is huge. I'm sure (hoping) it'll fit just fine in the R5 case with everything else but lord this thing seems massive. I guess the paste ot comes with is fine. I don't have a tube of artic silver or w/e lying around.

If it's an H7, you're fine. I have one in the much smaller BitFenix Prodigy.

e: beaten

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

Is there a good way to get a notification when the Asus Strix 1080 comes back in stock anywhere (reputable)? =\

http://www.nowinstock.net/

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

junidog posted:

Never built a computer before, so here's my first attempt. Still kinda overwhelmed by all the options.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming at 1440p, statistical computing (R). Decently CPU intensive.
What's your budget? ~1500

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $445.00)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1450.69

My biggest confusions are around:
-How do I choose a CPU cooler? I figured liquid>air, and tried to pick a decently cheap, decently rated one. Having never built a computer before, is a liquid setup any harder to install?
-Do I need to buy thermal paste, or does a CPU come already pasted?
-Ditto motherboard. I know I want a Z, but what's the difference between the one I picked and a $150 gaming pro super duper whatever. As far as I could tell it was just SLI support, which I don't care about.
-Is the power supply overboard? My thought process was basically 1) yay efficiency, so go for gold 2) I know you aren't supposed to cheap out, so I'll pick the cheapest gold from a brand I've heard of.
-The case is probably overkill. Tons of fans so it's probably noisier than it has to be. Also, I'll probably only have 2-3" of clearance on the side of the tower (between desk and wall), so the the whacky side fan will not accomplish much. The fractal design R4/R5 look more reasonable, but spending an extra $50 on the case seems like a bit of a waste, and I could always just turn off the side fan.

I made some adjustments:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.32 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $445.00)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1460.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 20:40 EDT-0400

1. Outside of very heavy overclocking, air>water cooling as far as price/performance goes. This cooler can match 240mm AIOs and is cheaper too. It's one of the best coolers on the market if you don't mind the ugly looking fans. It's pretty big, so you might have to remove that side fan on the case.
2. The cooler listed comes with good enough paste, you don't need to buy any separately.
3. Swapped out your SSD for a better one. PNYs are garbage with high failure rates. 850 EVOs are faster and waaaay more reliable, and you won't miss the extra capacity if you manage your storage well.
4. Got you a better PSU. EVGA NEXs aren't great compared to the GS or G2 lines. Plus, 750w is kinda overkill for a single GPU.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Loose Ifer posted:

It looks like the RAM that i had here isn't available anymore? Can anyone suggest a 2x4 or a single 8?

Also, does anyone else have any input, i'm about to press the buy button and wanna make sure this all looks decent.

Here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XgJkcf/gskill-memory-f42133c15s8gnt

The motherboard you listed can't handle anything faster than DDR4-2133 anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Hello friends, im building a new PC that has a few pre-existing parts already so thats why ive decided to add only the parts i intend to buy, or atleast what my first pass for buying should be. Im here to see if im making any really dumb choices overall which i assume i am making in atleast one way.

Im playing a lot of Total War: Warhammer and it is this game i want to utterly destroy with a new system, this is why there is a 6 core CPU in there as well rather than the usual 6700k which is what you'd normally assume for a gaming rig, TW:W is quite heavy on the CPU usage you see. I've also been told that DX12 for TW:W, a thing i don't use right now but will with this new setup, really benefits from CPU's with more cores so theres that as well. I have however been told by goon xthetenth that the 5820k is almost as good and is quite a bit cheaper so i'd love to hear what you guys think of his assessment. I intend to OC the CPU in either case, just as an FYI.

Besides that ive been told to try and get a "real gaming" monitor so thats why ive added the option below, having used the Dell UltraSharp U2412M up until now, and which im frankly starting to grow concerned over since i think it may be the reason why im getting weird screentearing in TW:W (trust me ive tried everything to get it to go away on my 970 and it just wont :smith:).

What country are you in? Sweden
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? 2000 USD's, so quite a bit actually.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Ultra in Total War: Warhammer, either in 1080p or 1200p since thats what im used to pixelwise.

Ive got a new unused Seasonic Platinum 80 Plus 660 W PSU and a Corsair H80iGT CLC cooler hooked up to my current CPU (2500k) which i will just transfer to the new system so im basically covered on those fronts. Same with the SSD's and normal HDD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($429.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($337.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($71.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card ($669.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Philips 242G5DJEB 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1857.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 23:39 EDT-0400

Please yell at me if ive done something wrong, and yell even more at xthetenth please if thats the case!

I'll take a crack at it:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.69 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($699.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Philips 242G5DJEB 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1888.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 01:52 EDT-0400

1. That goon was right, the 6800K and Broadwell-E doesn't have very good price/performance ratio, with some reports saying that it's actually worse than Haswell-E CPUs overall. I gave you a 5820K instead.
2. Got you a better cooler. 5820Ks spit out tons of heat, and a single fan radiator isn't gonna cut it.
3. Less overkill motherboard.
4. DDR4-2400, since this motherboard can't handle faster than that.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 2, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Uhm, believe it or not that overkill MB is actually CHEAPER than the one you just linked over here so i guess i should still stick with it?

I copy you on the CPU, switching to that one. And i guess i could just sell my current CLC, it is really new after all.

Good to hear about the RAM, ive heard for the longest time that speed doesn't matter much, glad to hear that finally it actually DOES something.

The monitor choice is good then as well?

The Sabertooth motherboard is showing as $299.99 (vs $337.99 for the ROG) for me. Maybe because I have Amazon prime?

You can still go with the ROG anyway, it's not that much more expensive. Plus, it lets you use faster memory and has stuff like built in wi-fi.

The monitor isn't IPS, but it DOES have really low latency and 144Hz. Someone who knows more about monitors than me can say if that's worth the trade off.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 2, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

sertalman posted:

What country are you in? Spain.
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming.
What's your budget? Around $700 I guess, though it's a bit hard to tell because of the different currency and hardware prices.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Aiming for 1080p at high/ultra settings.

In a couple months I'll be moving to a small apartment, so I'm looking to replace my current huge PC with something more portable. So far this is what I've come up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $678.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 17:54 EDT-0400

And these are parts that I'll be reusing:
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Now I don't really know the first thing about cases, I just picked the Prodigy because I think it looks nice and seems easy to work with, but I'm wondering if I could go smaller than that while keeping noise down and staying within budget?

Feel free to point out any other dumb choices.

I use a Prodigy and it's pretty great, however it's pretty big and heavy for a mITX case. If you want to go smaller, I'd suggest the Silverstone RVZ02 or a Fractal Design Node 202.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Biodome posted:

Looking for some feedback before pulling the trigger. Primary use will be heavy gaming at 1080p+ I'd like stuff to run at 60FPS on ultra.

I have a budget of $2000 so I have some breathing room, wondering if there's anything I missed. The only thing off the top of my head is it would be nice to have a mobo with integrated wifi and bluetooth so if anyone has a suggestion that would have that and not add much money I'd be up for it. Any thing jump out?

Also, I live near a Microcenter so if that has cheaper options I'm open to it.

Thanks, goons.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1055.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 14:45 EDT-0400

3 main things I changed:

1. You had an overclocking CPU and DDR4-3000 memory, but your motherboard didn't support either of those. I switched it out for a z170 motherboard that can.
2. A 1080 is waaaaaaaay overkill for 1080p@60FPS gaming, so I dropped you down the much cheaper RX 480. It'll be more than enough for any modern game at that resolution.
3. Full tower cases are generally more trouble than their worth, so gave you a very good mid-tower. The Define S is very solidly built, quiet, and fit whatever you want in it unless you have a shitton of harddrives.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Biodome posted:

This is great stuff! Thank you, good to know about the overkill. I have a 1440p monitor so I might run it at that instead but it would probably keep up, right?

Also, thanks for the nvidia suggestion. I'll get to ordering.

The 480 runs better than a 970 at resolutions higher than 1080p (where it's otherwise around the same), but if you have the budget and a 1440p monitor, I'd suggest a GTX 1070.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Julie And Candy posted:

Am I just confusing myself? Because pcpartpicker has separate entries for i5 6600 and i5 6600k, and at different price points

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117562&cm_re=i5_6600-_-19-117-562-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561&cm_re=i5_6600k-_-19-117-561-_-Product

So what I'm asking is, is it worth spending the difference between an 15 6500 and an i5 6600 non-K

No, you'd be paying $15 extra dollars for 100Mhz extra clockspeed. Basically nothing in real world applications.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ErikTheRed posted:

I currently have a R9 280X and am trying to figure out what I should upgrade to. I am primarily doing 1080P gaming and am looking in the range of $200-300. I would think the RX 480 would be the right choice here but it seems to be difficult to find at the moment. Any suggestions? I'm not in a huge rush, just trying to make the best choice given my budget.

A 480 if you can find one under ~$230 and you have a FreeSync monitor. A GTX 1060 otherwise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Zero The Hero posted:

What are my options for finding a powerful video card that's low on noise? The rest of my case is pretty silent, my 7870 is currently the noisiest thing I've got. I'm not buying a new video card yet, I'll probably wait until I can buy a 4k monitor and a video card that can support 4k gaming, at which point a quiet video card probably won't even be an option. But I'd like to see what my options are

The Asus Strix 1080 is powerful enough to run most things at 4K@50-60fps while being pretty quiet. Good luck finding one in stock though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

A friend of mine (lives in US) wants to upgrade from a GTX 760 to a 1080, are there any particular brands that stand out/should be avoided? I don't think he's going to overclock it or anything, just looking to get a little extra bang for his buck if possible.

Founders editions should be avoided because they're at $100 premium for basically nothing. Otherwise EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, and Zotac are all good choices. The top performing ones are the ASUS Strix and the Zotac Amp! Extreme, but they're appropriately pricey and huge.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Avocados posted:

I plan on upgrading my processor, mobo, and HDD soon. Does that mean I need a new copy of windows? Im running Windows 10 because of my OEM Win 7 disk I've had since 2010.

The windows key is tied to the motherboard, so yes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

So, I've been bouncing around some tech sites recently, and now I'm curious. Are SSHD's ever worth it? The price increase seems high, and I'm really not sure exactly how they work, or exactly what the impact on performance is. I also notice that the thread never recommends them, but rather an SSD and HDD setup, which makes me think the answer is no.

For clarity's sake, I don't plan on getting one, I would just like to know what people with more knowledge in this field than myself think of them.

If you mean Hybrid Drives, I think the op mentions that you can just treat them as regular HDDs with a really big cache. So no, they're not worth the extra cost.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Cromlech posted:

If I want to pull the trigger on a mid-high range Desktop with a budget ceiling of 1,000 USD by the end of October, is it worth waiting for Kaby Lake? Have there been any leaks w/r/t its actual release date?

No, because Kaby Lake isn't out until next year, and if recent trends in CPUs hold, then won't it won't be a substantial upgrade from Skylake anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

vanbags posted:

This is my current PC:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1155 55W
Motherboard: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Monitor: Hanns-G HL227DBB 21.5" LED monitor 5ms Full HD 250 cd/m2

I definitely want to keep the video card since I just bought it last year, but everything else is from 2013. All I use my computer for is gaming and browsing. I've been playing around with PCPartPicker and came up with something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $547.93

My overall budget is around $1500 and a new monitor is included in that budget. Will I see a noticeable improvement or should I put some more money into a CPU and GPU? I've been holding off on picking out a monitor until I see what I'm spending on upgrading the PC. I could potentially go up to $2000 if completely necessary. I don't really play very many demanding games, mostly MMOs and Overwatch.

What kind of monitor do you want to use? That's the real major thing to determine if you need to upgrade your 970. Either way, I'd get an SSD if you don't already have one, and drop down to an i5-6500 as the clockspeed difference is unnoticeable for your purposes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

I'm building a new computer so that I can stream League of Legends. My ancient computer (2500K, 6800) plays the game beautifully at 1440p, but I can't stream without the video getting choppy.

What parts are the most important for streaming video at a decent resolution (and for encoding video for Youtube and the like)? I'm agonizing over whether I want the 1060 or to pay the extra money to move up to the 1070. If I can stream the game just fine on the 1060, I'll go with that one.

You'd actually get more mileage out of getting a better CPU like an i7-6700k since streaming and video encoding can benefit from the extra cpu threads.

Though a GPU upgrade wouldn't hurt either, and a 1060 is more than enough for League.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

If anyone is reading this btw and is trying to decide between a 1440p 60hz monitor or a 1080p 120/144hz monitor, I think the 1440p monitor is the way to go if both are IPS. The extra resolution really makes a big difference. If you're a CS pro then ignore me.

Better yet, have it all with a 1440p, 100hz, G-sync, Ultrawide :retrogames:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 3, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Besides the advice to avoid cheapo PSUs, any recommended brands and brands to avoid with PSUs?

EVGA G2 and GS lines are highly recommend here. Stay away from Corsair CX and CSM lines.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Hey, I'm building a system around an Intel Core i7 6800k (it's a combination personal use/research machine, and I both encode a lot of video personally and have hilariously parallel workloads for my research). Apart from getting a good CPU cooler for it, should I get some extra case fans for it? I'm getting a borderline basic graphics card most likely (I'd be using integrated for graphics other than the CPU doesn't have integrated graphics) and I don't plan on overclocking. The only reason I'm semi-worried is that the CPU does have a 140 W TDP.

If you're not overclocking, something like a Cryorig H7, or a Hyper 212 Evo, would be fine.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I've got an i5-4590 - and I've noticed the stock heatsink fan is a bit noisy under load - what should I look for in a replacement/aftermarket? Don't need anything elaborate, just something that will be hopefully quieter. And do I need to buy new thermal paste separately or should coolers come with enough?

I have that exact CPU and a Crorig H7 makes it 100% silent.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth upgrading my GPU now and trying to hold out for another 12-18 months before a full system upgrade, or just do a full upgrade early next year. Thoughts?

Sandy Bridge CPUs are still pretty good, especially OC'd. So I'd upgrade the GPU now and maybe add another 8 GB of RAM.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

I have a 970 and just got a big unexpected bonus from a dividend cash out so I was thinking of wasting some of it on a 1070. I only game at 1080p and already have 16gb of ram. It seems dumb, but I'm mostly okay with that.

As it's overkill to begin with, I am looking at the base model 1070s on Amazon. The EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 is $410. Is there any reason I might want to get a different model? It only needs to last a couple more years. I am due for a full rebuild in 2018, or whenever the gtx 1280 hits (or whatever)

Honestly I would burn that cash on a nicer monitor before upgrading your video card. Buying a 1070 to play at 1080p is a waste of GPU power. While you can sort of get away with a 970 on a 1440p+ monitor.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Vidaeus posted:

So I'm looking to upgrade from my i5-2500k with Geforce 980 build which has served me faithfully for many years. Getting a bit long in the tooth for games. I'm aiming for something like luxury overclocker build from the OP as I have a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and like my games shiny:

i5-6600k
16GB DDR4
Geforce GTX 1080

However, not sure I need the fancy Asus Maximus board? Especially since it's so expensive. Can someone explain why I would pick this over the more basic ASRock Z170?

Maximus boards have better on-board sound, built-in wifi, fancy things for Overclocking, lots of fan headers, and look pretty. It's up to you if you think that's worth the extra +$100.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm considering rehousing an older PC in a smaller case for easy transportation.

The current parts:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 400W ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $574.50

What's the cheapest/smartest way to fit the CPU/memory/GPU into one of those tiny mini ITX cases, and which case would you folks recommend for that matter? I'm not averse to changing out the hard drive for an ssd or something, but I'm hoping I can just replace the motherboard and case.

You'll need a mITX motherboard with a compatible socket, and most likely a SFX form factor PSU. Though you should get an SSD regardless because the performance gains are really huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Lehugo posted:

I've finally accepted that I need a new pc but it's been a few years since I actually knew anything about this stuff. Got most of the things below through this thread but I really have no idea about what sort of case to buy. Size isn't much of an issue for me but minimal noise would be nice.

System: Gaming
Budget: $1000 - 1500
Monitors: Currently using two monitors at 1920x1200 each.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.82 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.00 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1309.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 14:48 EDT-0400

E: Cooling. I just picked the most silent one near the top. Will it do fine or should I get something else?

I use a Cryorig H7 and it's silent even at load, it's pretty much the best cooler at that price point.

Everything else looks fine.