Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Supreme Allah posted:

What's the thought on 'looping', that thing where you cut, bend & fit tubes that let weird liquids flow through the machine. I've been looking at lots of builds and that seems way more interesting than just tossing a bunch of components into a case -- it looks like it takes planning, engineering and practice. Has anyone done this for their build and if so, any good resources for beginners? Or is it generally regarded as the PC equivalent of putting rims on a Civic.

Who calls it looping? It's called water cooling. Its expensive, and only worthwhile if you're going to heavily overclock high end parts. Most of the time you're better off spending what you would have spent on watercooling parts on just getting higher end parts to begin with.

The easiest way is to use flexible tubing, but those who are really dedicated will do it with hard plastic or glass, and have 90 degree metal fittings and such. You have to do research on where you can mount your radiators, reservoirs and pumps. If you haven't even messed around with closed loop water cooling, then you'll probably be in over your head. As the TDP of processors and graphics cards keep going down, we'll probably see less of a need for watercooling, but conversely a higher overclocking ceiling.

I think the EK bnrand are the most popular ones now. For shits and giggles, I priced a waterblock for my GPU, it costs $114 dollars. Then you'd need need a waterblock for your CPU. Then a radiator, pump, reservoir, tubing. Also fluid. Then there's a lot of work that goes into getting your system actually going.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'd actually appreciate it if you did go over what's wrong, since that's what I'm sort of lacking knowledge in.
'Buying a NUC and calling it good' may be a proper solution, but I don't really learn anything from that.

That AMD APU has its own onboard graphics that would be more than sufficient for HTPC duty, plus the 630 is garbage anyway.

Also, I'd build a smaller, mini-itx system, especially for an HTPC, but that's just me. Also I'd probably go Intel.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

daspope posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)

This is the assortment of parts I've bought over the last ~18 months. I have a heavy mid-tower ATX case that I would like to replace. I've started with the recommendations in from the thread, but this is proving quite a bit more daunting than I had anticipated. I believe I want/need ~2 2.5 internal bays, 1-2 3.5 internal, 0-as few as possible external, 2-3 PCI slots (GPU and wireless), and as minimalistic as reasonable. Obviously, I'll need a new motherboard, but I'm trying to figure out mATX vs ITX within the available cases and parts I own.

Aero Cool DS Cube - I kind of like it but it's not actually that small.
Cooler Master N200 - Seems nice but on the lower end of quality

Fractal Design Node 804 - I think I like this, more drive space than I need
Fractal Design Node 304 - I might have psu/gpu collision
Corsair 380T
Corsair Obsidian 250D

My non-modular PSU might be a bit on the larger side at 5.91" x 3.39" x 6.42" (150 x 86 x 163 mm). I plan to grab a 1070 or whatever makes sense later this summer.

I guess I'm looking for any strong opinions that people have about these small cube or similar cases. I'm also realizing that I might have trouble finding a good Z97 mITX or mATX board.

edit: If I really want to pull off a smaller build, would I be better off not trying to reuse my CPU?

It's hard to find really good Z97 itx boards now that the supply has dried up. This is probably the best one you can still find. It has an M2 slot on the back, but it's not 80mm, it's one of the shorter ones. Also it doesn't have as high of a RAM OC speed as some of the more gaming oriented boards. Still a very good board, mine is practically the same but no M2 and its H97.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157504

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rape Stink posted:

Building a new rig for under $1000 to replace my old rear end AMD rig, and this is what I've come up with so far
I'll be using it for 16:9 gaming as well as A/V production with Premiere, After Effects, Protools, Reaper -- mostly non professional work -- Dual monitor setup

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: DIYPC Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 13:30 EDT-0400

The ram that's in the list matches the set I already have, so the new system will have 16gigs of 1333. Also I'll be throwing in the HDDs that are already in my current rig for storage.

Anyway, the thing that's bothering me is that the listed ASRock mobo has some poo poo reviews on newegg that say it has wacky defects. The thing is, almost every mobo in my price range has a good amount of really hosed up reviews on newegg pointing out weird defects. Are mobos just really finicky these days, or does the 1150 socket have problems, or are newegg reviewers just pissbabies?

Also any general thoughts on the build? is something poo poo? is something overkill? that kind of poo poo.

How long can you wait on the graphics card? You could get a 1070, when it comes out, and still meet your budget. The 4790K has onboard graphics that will let you play indie games and older games, but not mainstream stuff. Also, you could use your old graphics card for a bit as well while waiting for the new one. A little patience would net you near top-tier GPU performance, instead of middle of the pack. Well, patience and 170$ more dollars.

Also, Most people would probably suggest a 6600K and Z170 board over the older 4790K board, unless you really need hyperthreading. You probably want 16GB of RAM, so saving $30 by bring your old (and slow) RAM over is kind of foolish.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 10, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

admiraldennis posted:

Hey thread!

So I was doing a build and I'm dumb and put the wrong screw in the motherboard and it got kinda stuck in there. I had to use some pilers to remove it.

I MAY have damaged this super super small component. It's so little I can't really tell. Sorry the picture sucks. I can barely even see it with my eyes.

I haven't had a chance to do a system install or anything, but the board POSTs fine and detects everything and everything seems OK so far.

If I could find a super high-res image of this mobo (GA-Z170-UD5) I could probably compare and maybe tell if I really did smash it or not. Google image isn't giving me much; I need much higher res than the stuff I'm finding.

What is this thing? A little diode? How worried should I be? Any way to find out what subsystem it may be part of? Sounds like a pain in the rear end to return the board, especially since I already did the build and the heatsink install and all that. And I'm not even sure if I broke it. But I don't want to be setting myself up for random problems down the road either. :sigh:

No one can tell you what that component is, but if it's working fine, you probably didn't do any damage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm hmm. Thanks!

I have an SSD and a quiet PSU, so that leaves me about $300 total headroom in my budget. Does that get me to a custom loop? (Assuming it would even be as quiet as air; I don't care about OC.)

What's the general calculus on when to prefer Haswell-E over Skylake, in terms of workload? Or is Broadwell-E going to be the thing to wait on for 6-core setups?

You should watch this. Essentially, you shouldn't custom loop if you're on a budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogqnEJBKRQ

As far as anything with more than 4 cores goes, gaming doesn't really need it. Few games will even use all four cores, and even fewer can use more than 4. If you're encoding video, running VMs or something weird like that, maybe get more cores. Since, you are apparently running VMs, I guess you should ask yourself what % of the time will you be running VMs as opposed to gaming. And then ask just how many VMs or whatever you're running at once.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 11, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Mutant Standard posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for small MITX cases? I liked the Sugo sg13 but it's power and reset buttons have wires that are very poorly sodered on so I'm sick of that case. I have a SFX-L power supply if it matters.

The SG13 can fit in my backpack, so I kinda want that again.

I'm waiting for this: https://www.dan-cases.com/
Discussion: https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a4-sfx-the-smallest-gaming-case-in-the-world.1799326/page-114

But, you could buy 5-6 of those SG13B's for the price of that case, when the crowdfunding finally opens. And you're only shaving off 3 liters, while losing support for a closed loop cooler.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Gunder posted:

I'm trying to find out if upgrading my existing gaming system: i5-2500k, 8gigs of ram, Geforce 970 to a modern skylake system would be worthwhile. I only plan on upgrading the CPU, Mobo and RAM, i'll keep the 970 I'm already using.

The parts i've picked is from stuff in the OP. Here's what I came up with:

Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor - £188
MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - £80
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - £67
AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor - £279

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/sD6RNG

I live in the UK, and my budget is aprox. £600.

You should overclock the hell out of the 2500k and then see if you still feel like upgrading your CPU is gonna do much for you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Adeptus posted:

This is great advice, thanks. How feasible is switching to the cheaper motherboard and case, and upgrading to the 6600K for overclocking? Looks to reduce the price to around £875 - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TJqQ3C. Would it be worth switching to your recommended cheaper RAM as well, or does that cut the overclocking potential?

You should really, really, consider overclocking. It's as easy as going in to your BIOS and changing one number from 37 to say, something like 44. It's not scary, at all.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

Oh, that reminds me actually. The CPU cooler I'm getting recommends, of all things, applying a strip of thermal paste onto each of its heatpipes rather than the usual pea or thin line on the CPU heat spreader. Like so:

Is there actually an important reason they might recommend doing it that way? It seems like kind of a hassle.

Because you can create air bubbles.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

Is the 1070/1080 going to be significantly better than the 970? I don't really understand all the technical jargon enough to fully grasp it. Though I imagine even if it is, a 1070 probably won't be that much of an improvement over a 970 for 1080p gaming, right?

Realistically no. I mean most games should be pegged to 60FPS, but if you ever want to get a faster or bigger monitor (you do, you just don't know it yet), you should wait. Also, games will get more demanding over time. The smart play is to either wait and buy a 1070 when it comes out, or wait and buy a cheap 970 when the 1070 comes out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Has anyone ever been able to get a good gaming PC into an actually slim mini tower case? I just upgraded my processor and got a motherboard with only one slot for a graphics card since I'll never do crossfire/SLI poo poo and figured that opens up a lot of space inside. The dudes at Fry's kept telling me that you can't have a gaming PC with a small case, no exceptions.

I think people assume "gaming PC" means I do crossfire/SLI and need 8 USB ports and a bunch of loving LED lights and a multi-bay RAID setup.

All I'll have is a 1000-series Nvidia graphics card with my brand new i5 6600k CPU and my single SSD. It seems doable to have those things in a console-looking case, no?

You can do it, but fitting a cooler will be a pain. If you want to use a 120MM closed loop water cooler, you probably do, I'd recommend the SG13B. It fits up to a 10.5" card (1070/1080 will be fine), and if you use a SFX power supply, it should be pretty easy to fit the CLC in just fine.

Here's a video of Linus putting a Titan X, a big ATX PSU, a 120MM CLC, and an 18-core XEON into said case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDJNwAANwA

However, I don't know if this qualifies as a slim mini tower to you. It is only 10.5 liters, which is small, but its perhaps not the dimensions you want.

You could go with something like a Raven RVZ02 or Node 202, 12L and 10L respectively but you won't have any spaces for additional fans if you use a full sized graphics, so closed loops are out. You'll be limited to low profile coolers. You may be able to fit one of the 120MM or 140MM low profile coolers in, but you need to check compatibility against your RAM height and motherboard. Usually if you google the cooler and motherboard, some Overclockers/other building forums posts will come up and you might be able to see what others have done. You may also need to switch the fans on said 120/140MM low profile coolers to a slim one as well. It's doable, will take research and you may not get huge overclocks at satisfactory temperatures. You may also have to do some trial and error yourself, so if something is questionable, order it from Amazon or get Newegg Premier.

What I'm saying is: Do it. I think its awesome.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Bioshock Infinite is an older game at this point, stuff like TW3 will bring the 970 down to 45-55 FPS on ultra@1080p.

Just turn off hairworks man... I'm pretty sure I ran TW3 just fine on my 970 at 2560x1440 with hairworks turned off.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

MrBond posted:

If I have this motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170M-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

This is the right card for that slot, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106240&cm_re=intel_wireless_card-_-33-106-240-_-Product

The wifi that came with the motherboard is some awful realtek thing. Gets 12 mbps where wired and my apple stuff get 110-120 Mbps. I'm guessing it's only picking up single stream 2.4ghz or something bad.

edit: also soliciting other wifi card recommendations if anyone has any.

That's the right card and a good choice.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I just have a simple question, is it possible to upgrade the graphics card in this Inspiron small desktop or is it integrated graphics only?

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-3250-small-desktop/pd?cs=2236&oc=fddost315s&model_id=inspiron-3250-small-desktop

You have half height PCI-E slots, but you better double check if you have any PCI-E power cables coming from your PSU. If you don't the best card you can get is a GTX950, but make sure you get the one that doesn't require a PCI-E power cable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Imagined posted:

I went with an mITX board simply because of price, but I'm not opposed to a smaller case if it will fit the monster GTX 1070 inside. I have a huge case on my PC (the new one will be for the wife) and its GTX 970 barely fit with not a millimeter to spare.

The spare PSU I have is an EVGA 500 W1, but it was cheap and I'm not opposed to replacing it if there's something smaller/better at a reasonable price, so if you know of a nice mITX case that would fit the 1070, I'm all ears.

A Silverstone SG13B will fit your PSU. I would recommend a 120mm closed loop CPU cooler though, since there is not much clearance between the CPU and PSU. You should also probably pick the one with the shortest tubes, too. The case will fit 1x2.5 and 1x3.5 or 3x2.5 drives, hopefully that's enough.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Animal posted:

Thanks, fixed.
I chose the Silverstone because it's recommended by NCASE for the M1 case, and they have a kit with short flexible cables for small cases. Normally I am a HUGE Seasonic fanboy and don't even look elsewhere, so I don't know if Silverstone is not a good brand. I'll look into the Corsairs.

The Silverstones are great and were more or less the only decent SFX PSUs in the game for a few years, however, the Corsairs just came out and have been getting stellar reviews.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rad Gravity posted:

Not sure about the PSU, 500W is obviously more than needed but but it's both small and modular, and those qualities don't seem to exist in lower-wattage models?

That PSU is fine. Corsair recently released a 450W modular one recently, but it doesn't seem to be widely available in the EU. It's also more expensive than the 500W in the states.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there anyone using a SilverStone ML08B for their case? I am a sucker for small form factors, and if I can get a 1070 into there, that would be pretty sweet.

It's essentially the same case as the rvz02, but with a different grill. It's a very nice case and should fit a 1070 just fine, just make sure to double check your measurements because I don't know how needlessly big the custom boards will be.

We also have a SFF thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

I was given a Corsair's Carbide Air 240 case that I'd like to use for my next build, which will probably be an i5-6600K, Geforce 1070 system, overclocked. There looks like a lot of room for cooling, filtered intakes and 120mm fans front, top and rear, but it's also apparently built to house the Corsair liquid cooling rigs with the enclosed pump and radiator setup.

I haven't done liquid cooling since the old days when you needed a big rear end, noisy pump to fire water around your system. Has anyone used the Corsair liquid cooling, is it a good idea for over clocking and is it reliable?

Yes, they're fine. Most people have no issues with it, but especially sensitive people will complain about the pump noise to no end. I've been using them since the first Corsair H50, and never had any real issues, although I think I had to swap one at the store once, due to a noisy, defective pump. Generally, they are better than even big air coolers for OCing, as long as you don't do something silly with your layout.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I've been considering either downsizing my rig to a Mini-ITX or just upsizing to a standard ATX since my N200 feels a bit antiquated in design. I really like the NCASE M1 and the A4-SFX on Kickstarter, but the former is absurdly expensive after shipping to the point that it's hard to justify it, and the latter wouldn't ship until December at the earliest. The cases I do like that are available right now are mostly in the Fractal line - the R5, the Define S (which seems to lack the bays which I don't need), and the Core 500/Node 304 look nice too.

My current build uses a 4590 (non-k) although I already have a 212 Evo because why not. I want to upgrade from the 970 I'm using since I have a 3440x1400 monitor and am leaning towards a 1080 over the 1070, but I'll have to see (I'd also actually consider a 480 or even running two, but I'd like to see the real benchmarks). Basically what it boils down to is getting more opinions on minimalist designs that are nice to work with.

Check some of the case recommendations in this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

The Nano S is like 3 times bigger than it needs to be.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

I have an extra i5 655k laying about and i wanted to help a friend out.

He currently has a 6 year old prebuilt with an i5 and what i think is a gtx 760

Would it be worth it to buy a new or used lga 1156 mobo and carry over the HDDs, ram and gpu?

He would be buying a new case and power supply with the understanding that they are going towards his next build when he wants a serious gaming pc.

Where can i get a good price on a lga1156 mobo with decent features?

Do you know what socket he's currently on? If it is the same, you should just be able to swap it in, although you may not be able to overclock. If not, is it worth going through all this hoopla just to change from one i5 to another similarly dated i5?

It's probably not worth buying a new motherboard, honestly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

I have a better idea of what I want to do now from my earlier posts.

I want to help my friend get decent fps in overwatch so he can play heroes besides torb and rienheart

He currently has an
amd x4 630
gt 740
in a prebuilt HP desktop

I cant guess whether his cpu or gpu is holding him back more or its just both.

My plan is to give him my i5 655k and 212 cooler that I have laying around. He will buy a used or refurbished H55 or P55 mobo off amazon for $60. Then buy a new case and power supply, moving his current gpu in.

Im going to help him build a new pc next year so the new case and psu will carry over.
Considering I should be able to OC the cpu to 4.0 rather easily, is this going to be a substantial enough upgrade to be worth doing?

The 655k is an upgrade over the X4 630 for sure, but you should find out of his RAM is DDR2 or DDR3, before you do this. Also, you may want to double check this, but I don't think an H55 board can overclock. If he has to end up buying new RAM, you have to consider that cost as well.

At a certain point, it may be worthwhile for him to just get a i3-6100 and the cheapest H170/B150 board he can find, and new RAM, as the i3-6100 is also a dual core, but has better single thread performance and uses less power. It also comes with a HSF, and you get all kinds of new technologies like USB3.

The GT740 is a GT, not a GTX. It's a grade or two too low to make the cut.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 8, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

I desperately want to build a custom CPU+GPU loop in some tiny mITX case.

Plenty of people have done it in an rvz01 and Ncase M1.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Love Crime posted:

Anyone happen to know of a good ITX or MATX that is less than 8 inches tall? Preferably in black? I can't seem to find one anywhere, newegg, amazon, etc. I really need something I can fit into my entertainment console :(

It needs to support a high end GTX vid card too.

Silverstone SG13B or RVZ02

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Has anyone ever used internal wifi antennas in a desktop? I'm getting a motherboard that has a short m.2 slot for a wifi card, and I already have an extra one to slip into that slot. The question is if I should just drill two holes in the back plate and use screw on antennas or try using an internal antenna? My case is a RVZ02, so it is a metal case. What generally yields a better wifi signal? I'd rather just do it once, when I swap the motherboard in, because drilling holes into a metal plate once the motherboard is installed is a bad idea.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Has anyone found that pcpartpicker isn't showing mini ITX power supplies? This seems a bit odd. I'm also not certain whether I'm limiting performance by picking a mini ITX motherboard over a micro ATX or something. I won't be gaming, so I expect my power needs to be low.

edit: I probably just need to trust pcpartpicker to do the right thing, as it appears that mini ITX doesn't define a standard power supply form factor. I'm looking at this case for reference: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VH2rxr/fractal-design-case-fdcadefnanosbkw
We have an entire thread for all of your mini-itx needs.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&perpage=40&pagenumber=13

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Alright, Battlefield 1 has made it abundantly clear that I'm going to have to invest in a hardware upgrade in order to not get left behind. I have an Nvidia GPX780 and an i7 4770k processor, and I can probably only afford to replace one. What's my best bet? I'm thinking graphics card., but I don't want to buy a more powerful GPU only to have it get bottlenecked.

Definitely the graphics card. Your CPU shouldn't be a problem.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

MisterAlex posted:

My roommate Jason wants to make a desktop machine that's compact enough to easily take to friends' places.

Usage: Mainly 1080p games and the usual junk folks do on computers.
Budget: $600-ish for parts. I'm going by the price of the components he's looking at.

This is his proposed parts list he gave me to check out:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI [$95]
CPU: Athlon X4 845 [$68]
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB [$135]
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600 [$42]
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD [$50]
PSU: CORSAIR SF450 [$90]
Case: SilverStone ML08B-H [$80]

These are the parts I'm looking at recommending instead, since I have a hard time recommending an AMD chip for any kind of gaming machine...
Mobo: MSI H110I Pro [$73]
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 [$118]
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB [$170]
RAM: Kingston DDR4-2133 (2x 4GB) [$42]
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB [$63]
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W [$100]
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S [$50]

1. Am I at least giving him as much power as his initial build? Edit: Okay, I'm pretty confident here considering these comparisons.
2. Is my part list okay, or should I swap anything out? Am I "overbuying" anywhere?
3. Any specific thoughts or suggestions on easily portable cases?

The Nano is a terrible case if he wants to move his computer around a lot, as it's over 30 liters. You could try the SG13-B which will fit all your parts and is 10.5 liters, so one third the size. Or you could swap the case and PSU for the Node 202 which is also 10.5 liters but requires a SFX PSU, they have version that comes with said PSU.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Wow, now that I'm actually checking, there don't seem to be many GTX 1070s that will fit into the RVZ02B. The maximum card width is 4.78", and it looks like basically nothing on PC Part Picker is narrower than that. It looks like just the Gigabyte G1 Gaming (http://pcpartpicker.com/product/YpH48d/). This leaves me with two questions. First, are there other options? Second, if not, how does the Gigabyte compare to other brands I would normally lean towards, like MSI or ASUS?

Edit: Apparently the EVGA SC (not the FTW), also (http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tv38TW/). Thoughts?

I had that card, it fits.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

signalnoise posted:

The case I'm planning to use if I go mITX is actually half the price of the mATX in the same line actually, and it uses a standard ATX PSU instead of STX. So that's not really my concern. I'm just wondering if in a year I'll be upset that my desktop doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 functionality or some poo poo

Thunderbolt 3/USB-C is a clusterfuck, so probably not... You won't need the high bandwidth for an external video card, or for up to 100W of power...

http://techreport.com/news/30942/2016-macbook-pro-snafu-highlights-the-mess-with-usb-type-c

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, question here. I'm looking for a GPU to buy in the near future. my pc is this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5196104.p?skuId=5196104

It's not really that great and maybe around tax time I'd like to start thinking about completely building one, but until then I'd like to at least throw a better GPU in this one. The main issue I have is I know for a fact the power supply doesn't have any hook up thingys(not sure what they are called) and IIRC I want to say its 250 or 275 watts. So it would need to be something that can run off the power of the PCI e slot. Shine recommended a GeForce 950 2g a while back, and I just mentioned it in another thread and another goon suggested a 1050. I don't really know a lot about this, so basically I'll let you guys tell me what will work. Price range is up to 175 or so but it's flexible. Would http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137059&cm_re=geforce_1050_2g-_-14-137-059-_-Product be decent? Would it work in my pc even?

1050T, 1050 or RX460 are going to be pretty much your choices from the current generation. 1050Ti is the most correct choice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah. I don't know a ton about it, but what about my power supply issue? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137054 would that be good? It says 75w power consumption in the specs but I'm not sure if just the pci-e slot can provide that or not.

e http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126151&cm_re=1050ti-_-14-126-151-_-Product this one says no extra power supply needed in the description maybe that would be better?

Yea, get the Asus. You don't have a 8 or 6 pin PCI-E power plug from your PSU, so you need one that only runs off of the PCI-E slot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

So i've started making my plans for my end of the month purchase, sort of a christmas present to myself but I'm also hoping I get some deals the black friday weekend.

Goal is a compact and quiet VR capable rig, and i'm not going for cutting edge VR, I just want enough performance to comfortably play with the tech.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PVbbwV

Since compact was the goal I've tried to squeeze it all in mini-ITX. At its core:
Asus H170I-Pro Motherboard,
Core i7-6700k,
2x16Gb Of Corsair Vengence DDR4-2133,
and a MSI GTX 1070.

Crammed into a Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX case. I'm a little worried about size constraints but everything i've read makes it seem like it will all fit since people have been putting 1080s and water coolers in it.

The follow up question then is if I should get a 1080 instead, as my own opinion right now is that its probably not worth the extra cash for a slight performance boost.

For the remainder:
Corsair RMx550 Power Supply,
512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe-4x
1Tb Samsung 850 Evo Sata-III

All that feeding into an HTC Vive.

The 6700 doesn't come with a cooler if I recall, since its the 4Ghz version i feel like water cooling might be worth it? The case is designed to accepted a Corsair all-in-one. If not that then any alternate recommendations for cooler? I realize 32Gb of Ram and a 6700k might be slight overkill, but besides maybe trying to develop some VR software I play a lot of Dwarf Fortress which is a Ram and single threaded CPU issue.

You should go with a z170 board and faster RAM, it can make a big difference in certain games like Witcher 3, GTA5, etc. the z170 will also allow you to overclock, which you should definitely consider now, or later, especially if you're going to watercool it. The choice between a 1070/1080 is largely a product of your monitor resolution and HZ. Also don't worry about the 250D's size. It's huge for an ITX case, there are literally options that can fit the same hardware you're listing and are half the size, single AIO cooler included.

If you go to Microcenter between now and Black Friday, you can get a 6700k and an Asrock Z170-ITX gaming for $414 before a $30 rebate, so you'll actually save money getting a faster motherboard.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 15, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Okay, tested the graphics card in the first PCIe slot, and it fits... Barely. Is the backplate of the card too close to the CPU cooler or will that be fine? Nothing is *quite* touching, but its very close, maybe 1-2 mm

Neither the backplate nor the heatsink carry a current of any sort, it's fine. They could be touching and it wouldn't really matter as long as the mounting points weren't being overly stressed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Boxman posted:

I didn't even think about case cooling. The case I have has two 120mm exhaust fans (besides the fans attached to the PSU and CPU cooler, of course.) There are places for intakes but maybe just the exhaust will create enough airflow?

I doubt there's any way it'll get hot enough to cause damage, so I guess I could just run something demanding and keep an eye on temperature. But I'm always curious about goon thoughts.

In general it's good to try to create positive pressure. That means more intakes than exhausts. This way you'll always have fresh air and in theory you'll have less dust in the case.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a way to find out or site to look up what timings a DDR4-2666 or -3000 module would have when run at 2133MHz? I'm looking to upgrade to 32GB, and I figured I get a kit that officially supports faster frequencies, for whenever I'll upgrade to whatever comes after Skylake-E. My current 2133MHz RAM does 13-15-15-28 and I'd like to keep those timings.

The product page should list their timings.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Splal posted:

[*]What country are you in? USA
[*]What are you using the system for? Family PC with a touchscreen monitor apps for the kiddo, mild to moderate gaming for me.
[*]What's your budget? Shooting for $1000 all told.
[*]If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Monitor I'm looking at is 1920x1080, medium graphics settings are fine when gaming.

My first hack:

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($144.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.27 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG GS40N DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Jet)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Dell 2314T 23-Inch Touchscreen LED-lit Monitor ($289.95 @ B&H)
Total: $1088.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-21 01:06 EST-0500

It has been a long time since I last built a PC. Would appreciate a sanity check or any obvious tradeoffs to save a few bucks.

Do you have a Microcenter near you?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/462952/H110M-ITX-ac_LGA_1151_mini-ITX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/454898/Core_i3-6100_SkyLake_37GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

This combo would come out cheaper and includes wifi, so you could certainly save a few bucks there. It would be $140+tax rather than over $200.

It is a mini-ITX mobo, but it doesn't seem like you need another PCIE slot so long as you have built in wifi. You might be able to bump up to a 1060 with what you save.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Inverse square posted:

I need a new motherboard with a FCLGA1151 socket. This is my case and I do not overclock. Rather depressed to be doing this, I got my current mobo (1155 socket) in 2013 and a friend told me it wouldn't need to be replaced for a long time (so I installed my new GPU and got my new i5-6600 without checking my socket). Out of morbid interest, was he an idiot to have told me that? :(

Also this is my RAM. I think I'd like to bring it up to 16-24GB. Is it worth keeping this old RAM?

Money is no object, it comes from expenses.

Your friend is an idiot and you will need new DDR4 RAM.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Dali Parton posted:

Hello beautiful goons. I want to leave my gigantic full size tower and embrace Mini ITX/small form factor gaming! Im going off the OP template:

Use: Strictly gaming.
Budget: Lets start at $500. Will need Win10. I have KB/M, speakers, monitor. Im set there. ***I already have a SSD and GTX970 graphics card*** I have 6GBs of 2010 era RAM. Could I rip that from my old machine and throw it in this one?
Requests/expectations: I'm coming from a i7 930 processor, 2010 era. I dont need anything mega beefy processor wise. As far as I can tell, I overpaid for the i7 in the first place because games don't utilize all the extra fixin's yet, and apparently thats still true? As far as gaming experience goes, I just wanna max things at 1920x1080 resolution, which the GPU is certainly good at getting close to, but I think the i7 930 is a bottleneck.

None of this is really concrete, im happy to hear ideas/suggestions/ridicule. But tl;dr, mini-itx with as much bang2buck as possible.

Do you live near a Microcenter? Right now its impossible to ignore their 6600k for $180 with an additional $30 off a compatible motherboard. I recommend the Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX.

You won't be able to reuse your RAM, but with prices this good, you won't save any money by going last gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Looks like the 6700k will be coming with R6:Siege and Vermintide. Hopefully Microcenter has this voucher too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800985068