Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Hmm. It looks like that I myself will get a 6600K when I build my next system since I could only get 4.2GHz out of my 2500K but is the 6600K just as easy to overclock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm still rocking a 2500K@4.2 (Won't go any further I tried) with 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM and a 660Ti but I'm going to upgrade the video card to a GTX1060 or a RX480 but am I going to have upgrade my 5 year old Sandy Bridge system at some point? It also doesn't help that my SSD is almost 4 years old, my HDDs are six years old and my PSU (Corsair HX650) is 6.5 years old. Am I looking at a total system rebuild soon or can I coast for a bit longer with what I've got after I get a new video card? I'm gaming at 1080p and want high settings so will a GPU upgrade get me another year or two out of this rig?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I can spend ~$500 and get a 1060, an SSD and a new power supply or just build a new system and repurpose this one into a plex server

I'm hoping I can just upgrade my video card and hold off on upgrading the rest until Christmas or even next year's tax return. Then I'll build a new system and move the video card over like I've done before.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have kind of a stupid question. I'm still on a i5-2500K system overclocked to 4.2GHz but with 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM. My stupid question is would I see a noticable performance increase in games upgrading to 16GB DDR3-2133 RAM as a stop-gap until I can upgrade later this year? Or am I better off waiting to upgrade/build new? My GPU is a GTX1070 so I'm squared away there. But some of the newer games are bottle-necked not by the CPU itself but the amount and speed of the system memory. I've seen some games recommend 16GB system RAM.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Jago posted:

I've done this. You'll see better results getting the CPU 3-400mhz higher than if you upgrade the memory. Maybe with a superior cooler. I bought some 2133 memory, and though the board was supposed to support it, I had to run it at 1866 and tighten up the timings. I think it's pretty possible to run into issues like this on "old" boards like this. Honestly wasn't a noticeable difference from 1600. I tell myself that it'll get me from sub 60 fps situation into one where the frame rate is locked in real nice. Could be true.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k
Is this article your inspiration?

I tried getting a faster overclock but to no avail even at 1.38v which is the highest recommended safe voltage for Sandy Bridge. My motherboard is a MSI P67A-G45 with the newest bios and the fastest RAM it will support is DDR3-2133. I have read online articles about having faster RAM on Sandy Bridge might get noticeably better performance in games but I don't know if I read that specific article.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And for those of us still running DDR3, Amazon also has a lowish-profile DDR3-1866 2x8GB kit (not a huge speed boost if you're running 1600Mhz, but if you're running 1333Mhz for whatever reason it might be a nice bump) for $87.56: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E8Y5C (Also, don't buy the low-voltage stuff - DDR3L is different from DDR3 - it won't work in older boards)

Their DDR3-2133 kit is now pushing $160.

Funny you should mention that but about 2 months ago I bought a 8GB (2x4GB) kit of DDR3-2133 for my old 2500K@4.2GHz for $70 and it boosted the minimal framerates in some of my games from my old DDR3-1600 kit. Trying to stretch this rig out until August or September when Coffee Lake is released. I'm currently praying to the CPU gods for a ~$250 6C/6T Coffee Lake Core-i5. :pray:

It's just too bad that DDR4 RAM prices are going to be absolutely terrible by then. :sigh:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TL;DR: Coffee Lake probably isn't coming out until the Christmas shopping season, and Cannonlake is now a "sometime in 2018" thing. If you need a new computer now, buy one, but don't go nuts.

I'm still running an old but salty i5-2500K@4.2 with 8GB RAM but with a 1070 which is probably being bottlenecked by the CPU in some games. Do I wait until Christmas to build a Coffee Lake machine or say gently caress it and build a Ryzen or Kaby Lake rig in August or September? This is the one thing I hate about upgrading when it's finally time to upgrade, there's always something better right around the corner (3-6 months) so I put off upgrading again.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

People like to recommend this prebuilt from Microcenter, it's quite the deal. It's hard to spec out a system with these parts and get any cheaper, especially right now with the GPU shortage.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

I'm really really tempted to get one of these then sell my current 1070 on ebay. How much faster would that 7600K be than my old but salty 2500K?

Edit: my 2500K and motherboard are over 6 years old and my PSU (Corsair HX650) is over 7 years old so I'm worried how much longer this system will last.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 3, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

The IPC would be about 20-25% better and you'd likely be able to clock it a bit higher too so maybe 35% or so, not a bad idea considering current 1070 prices.

Hmm...maybe I'll get this one instead:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475438/G405_Desktop_Computer

But I would then keep my current 1070 and put it into this new system.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm really tempted to order one of these and then drop my 1070 card into it:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475438/G405_Desktop_Computer

Is this a good deal for a pre-built or should I build my own again for maybe ~$100 cheaper?

Or do I run my 6 year-old 2500K@4.2/MSI motherboard, 7 year-old Corsair HX650 PSU, and 5 year-old Samsung 830 SSD until something breaks/wears out?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, and NOTICE: Everyone using Z170 and Z270 boards with hyperthreaded (that means i7 only) chips should check their board's download page - many vendors are releasing 'beta' BIOS updates that supposedly fix the Sky/Kaby Lake HT issues.

Does this affect the pre-built 7700K PowerSpec systems sold by Microcenter?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When will we be seeing Coffee Lake parts and systems in the wild? I ask because I think it's time to finally upgrade from my old but salty 2500K.

Edit: should have read the last few posts. nevermind. :downs:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 25, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I moved last January and had my rig completely kept together and nothing broke or came loose. I just laid the computer down on it's side (like I was going to open it up and work on it but kept the side panel on it of course) in the backseat and then packed stuff around it so it wouldn't slide or bounce around during the ~4 hour drive. This was with a EVGA 1070 and a Hyper 212+ clone made by Xigmatek which are still working right now as I type this. And I'm getting tired of waiting for Coffee Lake already. I might just wait until this rig goes kaput before I upgrade.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This has been true for the past seven years, but we're finally starting to see proper 4+ core and hyperthreading support. There's only so much both AMD and Intel will be able to accomplish over the next 5-7 years architecturally without exotic materials that are going to find their way into NSA and corporate supercomputers first, so processing capability and capacity is probably going to end up being the new hotness.

My next system will have an i7 (or equivalent) for two reasons: 1) the current-gen consoles and their new Pro equivalents have octa-cores, and the ports are going to be happier the more physical (and virtual) cores you can give them, and 2) I really have a feeling that Windows and other first-tier professional programs are going to scale similarly.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I think it's different this time around with i5 vs. i7, and people who don't bite on the option with hyperthreading are *really* gonna miss it and wish they'd bought it in 3-5 years' time.

I myself am now just going to wait until my overclocked 2500K rig goes kaput before I build or buy a new rig. If it ain't broke, don't fix or replace it. And it's going to be a while yet before games require more than 4 cores/threads.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

We should start a 2500k upgrade club. So many of us.

I'm going to try to hold on with my 2500K rig until Intel drops their mainstream consumer 8-core chips (Ice lake?) next year. I still only have 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM though so I might upgrade that again since some newer games are recommending 12-16GB of RAM.

Edit: Would my 1070 with it's 8GB VRAM offset the need for more system RAM for newer games?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 9, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When are the cheaper motherboards for locked Coffee Lake chips going to drop? I ask because my old 2500K rig might be starting to die because it sometimes hangs while POSTing. Yes, I shut down my PC when I'm not using it in an attempt to stretch it's life out a bit longer specifically the seven year-old PSU (HX650). I might just break down and build or buy a less expensive i5-8400 or i7-8700 system. I don't care about overclocking anymore I just want to play games at 1080p/1440p on my GTX1070 that I plan on moving to the new system. I plan on everything else to be brand new including the case. Would one of those pre-built systems from Microcenter be a better option?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 11, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

TheFluff posted:

A build around the i5-8400 will run you around $1000 and that is the point where building yourself is starting to become attractive.

That's good because around $1000 would be my limit budget-wise. I'm not interested in overclocking anymore but if a entry-level Z370 board could allow me to boost all the CPU cores to the max turbo boost clock (4 Ghz on the i5-8400) without having to tweak any other settings that would be cool.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 12, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I would drop a used 2600K or 3770K into my motherboard (MSI P67-G45) but then I could see this almost 7 year-old motherboard die a month or two later and I just wasted $100-$150. I'm going to ride with my 2500K until the bitter end. I run most of my games at 1440p anyway and that usually puts the bottleneck back on my GPU (GTX1070).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but what's a good and cheap Bluetooth receiver that will work with a DualShock4 controller? Sony does have an official one but it's ~$50 for just the receiver.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

ErikTheRed posted:

I bought this no name one for an Xbox One controller and it works just fine, is imagine it'd work fine for a PS4 controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LH6RPBW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Hmm...it says in the description it requires "third party software" in order to work with a PS4 controller. Is DS4Windows the "third party software" I'm looking for?

edit: in the FAQs someone answered it works just fine with a PS4 controller under Windows 10 so I will be ordering this receiver because it's cheap and it works.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 2, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What's a good external hard drive or external hard drive enclosure? I ask because the 7 year-old WD Caviar Black drives in my computer keep causing the faceplate on my computer case (Corsair Carbide 400R) to make a buzzing sound.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So the Ryzen 3000 series high end will start out at 8C/16T max, but have performance parity with the 9900K for ~50W less heat*. There's a space on the die for a second 8C/16T die, but my guess is they couldn't keep such a chip cooled very well without severely dialing down the clock speed.

They also aren't due out until mid-2019 (May or June), and will launch with the 500-series chipsets.

* according to AMD's testing

Here's hoping my old 2500K rig doesn't die before then. :sweatdrop:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That sucks. Will EVGA still honor the warranty on my GTX1070 until it expires in August?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I don't plan on getting another EVGA card anyway because the fans on my 1070 are noisy when the card is under load.