Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

marjorie posted:

E: okay also I'll pose a home ownership question here. I have a light switch that I'm 99% certain is intended to turn on a particular overhead light (as in, there's really nothing else it could do and there's no other switch that turns on that light), but nothing happens when I turn it on. Replaced the light bulb, but still no luck. Any other things I can try with minimal electrical knowledge\ability, or do I need to call someone?

With a non contact tester you can see if the switch is functioning and if power is getting to the fixture. With a multimeter you can make some more sophisticated measurements. Is it an incandescent fixture or a cfl? If it's fluorescent the ballast could have failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

marjorie posted:

Sweet, I probably have a multimeter somewhere in my boxes from college. I guess my question is whether there are solvable things I could do myself (again, with the understanding I'm not very handy) depending on what I find out. I guess if the issue is with a wire right at the switch or fixture, or if it's something at the fixture itself maybe I could do it? It's a plain old threaded base fixture - PO had a CFL bulb in there, but I replaced it with an LED bulb, neither worked (it hasn't worked since I moved in).

Yeah. First thing I'd test is putting an actual incandescent bulb into the socket. Then test if there's power at the socket with the switch in either position. Then test power in at the switch, then power out of the switch.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Wrong thread! But if you want the right thread, check out the revived random waffle images thread in GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002065

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 21, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

raggedphoto posted:

Our house has new windows and blown-in insulation so I am sure we are having CO2 issues as well.

Here are two of the rooms that we removed 4-5 layers of wallpaper, skim-coated, sanded and primed! I was great to remove all the rosin paper and see the floors we just refinished again.

Bravo, lookin sharp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Wheel it to the corner with a "free" sign on it. If no one picks it up then report it to the city as illegal dumping.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsOzSinCF4

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Epitope posted:

Learning on the fly felt easier than finding someone though.

Always is

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Do you get your sewer scoped regularly? Plumbing businesses claim once a year, but I've never heard of anyone actually following it. Is it recommended or just a way for them to sell services?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Has anyone successfully kept stray / outdoor cats out of their yard? What tips do you have?

There are 2 stray cats from a nearby farm and my neighbor's outdoor cat that love to use my yard as a litter box. I took our bird feeders down this summer, as the cats had successfully caught 2 birds in a week, and it was cruel to the birds to keep the feeders up. I figured that's why the cats kept coming, but even with the feeders down, the cats are still here. I find new piles of crap every week at this point.

I make sure to clean the piles up as soon as I see them, and I've tried a few different sprays to get rid of the scent and to discourage them from coming back. But nothing seems to work.

Outside of capturing them and bringing to a shelter (where they'll likely be killed), any solutions from you all?

Buy 50 lbs of cayenne pepper and use a fertilizer spreader to coat the cat bathroom in it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

redreader posted:

Well, nothing went wrong, but the last time I asked someone 'are you bonded/insured', he said 'yes' but I have no way of knowing if he was or not. How do you actually check? I saw him on angie's list which I thought meant he was legit.

In America the state issue contractor licenses. Each business should be attached to a particular contractor license number. You can get on the appropriate state agency website and search for that specific business entity, person, & license number. Make sure they all exist, all match, and look to see if they have a bond, and look to see if there have been any claims made against it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

This is not even remotely universal in the US.

In a municipality that does not have the concept of contractor registration where they verify minimum liability insurance, etc the correct answer is above.

Wow, I had no idea. Good to know!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Lumber prices are nuts. I spent $100 on 2x2s for furring out a room

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm looking to buy a counter depth refrigerator some time in the next 2 years or so. Ideally fridge on top, freezer on bottom, no internet connection or gimmicky stuff. What brands should I be looking at? And what's the best source of info besides forums- consumer reports? As much as I don't like the idea of the hideously expensive brands (sub zero, viking, fisher & paykel etc) I am willing to buy one of those if the lower end brands all have sufficient quality problems to not be worth it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thanks. Perhaps I'll go with full depth then. I was thinking about counter-depth because my friends have one and they say they love it, don't mind the reduced capacity. They do have different tastes than me. I imagine I would mind the reduced capacity. At some point I'll go to a showroom and try out the counter depth fridges.

Right now I have a full depth cheapo samsung that I got in a hurry when our old fridge died and couldn't be resurrected. It sticks out past the cabinets, isn't as wide or as tall as the existing hole.

I'm gonna do a (mostly, trying to keep the original cabinets as they are original to the house) full kitchen remodel. So I can make the space for the fridge any width, any height I want. In terms of depth I could cut a hole in the wall behind the fridge and get an extra 4 inches that way. With that a full depth fridge might not stick out too badly, or maybe it'll fit flush.

Ok so my original question stands: Are any of the the high end fridges of the low end ranges worth it? Or do you pretty much have to go ultra expensive? And where's the best place to research when I get serious?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

StormDrain posted:

Omg I causually look out at the equipment and see that my cat is out there.

hahaha, classic

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does anyone else get builder's remorse? Cousin of buyer's remorse? Like why did I start this project? Now I have to finish it. Or why did I open this up and reveal this concealed bullshit?

It's a natural part of the DIY addiction cycle. Pretty much every major project ought to induce this at some point or you're not going hard enough.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
God do I loathe dealing with contractors. I hired a company to do some painting including the front door. I sent them pics of the front door that showed that the previous paint had heavy brush strokes. I said it had to be sanded smooth. I offered to sand it myself if necessary as prep. They said they'd handle it. Today I see the first coat and of course the guy sanded it just enough to give the paint grip. So the brush strokes show through. I emailed the painter directly rather than go to the company reps, but I just want someone who does the job they are hired for. This, and the difficulty of booking people, is why I DIY so much.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

moana posted:

I housesat once for a family I tutored for., and they had glued up pictures of the pope inside of all of their kitchen cabinets. It was super weird to be going for some Raisin Bran and then suddenly bam! Surprise pope!

I wonder if they switched out the pictures when the pope changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TprkI_xJM

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

bergeoisie posted:

An accidentally bumped knife on the counter finally put an end to our long dying batch-feed disposal.

I've always found the batch-feed disposal horrifying so I'm curious about replacing it with a normal one. I assume our Gary had it installed because they didn't have a convenient switch to hook a continuous feed disposal up to. I don't want to do a full remodel of that area of the house, so I'm curious if it's feasible to just hook up a switch under the sink? Is this question too specific to the layout of that area of the house? Is it just not worth the hassle of trying to coordinate between an electrician and a plumber for this?

RIP batchy and the Shun paring knife you took with you.

I think an air switch garbage disposal could be the solution if I'm not misunderstanding the problem.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm sure I won't have to worry about any surprise disasters on that front for at least a few years.

:pressf:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hadlock posted:

My wife goes through about $100 worth of my chargers a year, break even is pretty quick

Definitely getting them for the kitchen table and dining room, I use those about half the day depending on where the sun is and temperature of the house

Classic wife move

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Beef Of Ages posted:

Nothing like waking up to cold air coming out of the HVAC vents because the furnace isn't running when it's 11 degrees out. :negative:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mr.belowaverage posted:

This please. I can’t see that you ever posted pics of the original problem either.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Wow, gently caress that

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got a painted brick fireplace

I hate it.
What's the right method for stripping it?

I've thought of:

• Chemical strippers and scraper
  • Heat Gun and Scraper
  • Orbital Sander
  • Grinder with flap disk
  • Home/DIY media blasting
  • Call professionals (Dry ice blasting?)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I may have figured out part of the drainage problem.

Far to the right is where it comes from the sink. To the left is where it drains.

I am pretty sure stuff doesnt drain up so easily, right? That the drain pipe is supposed to go *down* or be horizontal for pretty much the entire way?

I also feel like cutting entirely through those crossbeams like they did probably isnt good either

edit: followup on the crossbeams: one cut through all the way, two cut through more than halfway, three more with big chunks taken out of them. Two crossbeams also appear to be supported only by loose bricks and what looks like an old fence post that was jammed under one of them.

Hmm... I think I am going to stop thinking about this now, otherwise I might start to worry about what thay might mean for the houses structural stability.

Edit 2: Ugh, now I'm bleeding and covered in sewage. This morning's home repairs are not going well, I think I'm going to take a break.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonoMan posted:

I'm stunned lovesac is that expensive now. Didn't they used to be basically As Seen on TV Quality? I know they were appearing on my deal a day sites (woot/meh) for a while and then had a resurgence.

$4k is hell no territory for those.

We have an Ethan Allen couch that we got used for $250 (originally $2500) and while it is great quality. It is heavy. Unreasonably heavy. Like you can no poo poo injure yourself moving it. It's not a sectional or sleeper. Feels like it's made with the remnants of a dying star it's so heavy.

There's gold hidden in the frame. Take a look with a FLIR camera

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

steckles posted:

My parents stayed in that house waaaay too long and when we finally decided to move them out, it was somehow being reclaimed by the sea despite being in the middle of dry land.

:coolfish:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Verman posted:

lol. Im designing a shed for my yard and I'm looking at these for the door option. They're expensive. Not quite anderson front door expensive but they're not cheap.

Yeah. Does anyone have a good source for steel rolldown shutters for diy, residential installation? It may not really exist but I want a couple and all I have found in cursory searching is commercial installers and some ebay stores. Which might be the best option, but idk.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Struensee posted:

Jesus Christ.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bathrooms were worth it. I DIY'd the hallway bath and hired someone to do the master bathroom. Those were totally worth it, especially having a nice master bathroom.

Stopping water intrusion: new roof, gutters, and a french drain was extremely worth it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there a chair rail going in over the black line or is that where the window bulge is?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Trying to hedge against this

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's far easier to mask the floors off properly than remove paint after. That said paint is gonna come up way easier than primer. If it's still wet clean it up now. Otherwise scrape with something softer than the floor, ideally

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shifty Pony posted:

*throws instructions into shredder* "I'm not taking advice from a cartoon man!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

what the gently caress

quote:

Gorny said he told Wayfair about the bedbugs in a satisfaction survey and the retailer sent him a 10% off coupon on future orders, plus an apology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Sounds like the establishing shot of a zombie movie