Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I recently bought a house and it’s been a fuckin nightmare.

2 water leaks and a poo poo load of water damage lol.

The second plumber (who is really cool) said that the pressure valve looks to have failed so he’s going to replace that which should help.

It was a really nice two weeks of owning a house where nothing was wrong. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Watched two videos on "dry pouring concrete" out of morbid curiosity.

I'm guessing I made it to almost 40 without hearing about this because it's a terrible idea, but uh, I guess it can serve a purpose in those rare cases where you need a slab of concrete but also it never freezes and you're not going to park a car on it, and you'd need to otherwise mix more than 2-3 wheelbarrow loads but also don't have planning permission for whatever you're doing, so aren't going to hire out a concrete truck to do it the right way

Hey I could actually use this lol I want to do a 3ft x10ft mini walkway for my trash cans.

It also never freezes here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYEOG9LOIk

I really wish I had a situation where I needed to build this, but, alas :allears:

Hashtag #trashtrain :zaurg:

Fake edit: how does this dead gay forum not have a train emoji

Edit: fixed, thanks

lol I'll have to take a picture of it tomorrow but I am thinking I'll just use pavers or something.

A few people in my neighborhood have paved it but that seems a bit pricy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s really not that complicated

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Why is the value wrong?

Because it’s too high!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not leaving an outdoor light on all night seems like a good thing though

Yeah I kinda don’t think it’s an unreasonable request tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just install a drain there.

That is the second most expensive option lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My wood staircase is a little slippery for my dog. Any recommendations other than the top result on Amazon for "stair tread"? I don't want to do a carpet runner because it'll get trashed.

This is why when we did the floors we specifically left the stairs carpet.

Well that and stairs are fuckin expensive as hell to do.

Honestly though this is probably your best bet.

https://www.runrug.com/us/stair-carpet-runners-c38

Not sure you have many other options.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cosmic gumbo posted:

Two years into home ownership and about to deal with my first big headache. A small portion dry wall/baseboard by our guest shower is soft enough to poke through so now I need to figure out if the leak is coming from the shower itself or the pipes in wall. Is my best case to have a plumber take a look to confirm if it's the pipes causing the issue before looping in my home owner's insurance? I figure if it's only the shower needing to be re-grouted/sealed and the dry wall replaced that is easy/cheap enough to handle with a contractor.

As someone who has been dealing with leaks since we bought the place I’d call the insurance and start a claim. You can always close it later and they also might not cover it.

Our insurance wants the piece of pipe the plumber removed because if it’s an age related failure they don’t cover that. They want to send the pipe off to see why it failed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone have any good or bad experience to share about ordering appliances from costco?

According to the Costco thread a lot of it depends on the delivery company they use in your area. It could be great or it could be a poo poo show.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

If you can swing it: get copper. Buried PEX should be fine, but copper’s performance is a known quantity for well over a century.

The only reason people in our area recommend PEX is because of the poo poo in our water.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skybolt_1 posted:

This is the wildcard - does your water have stuff in it that reduces the lifespan of copper? This is kind of unknowable but yeah.

Though this is really all elementary. 50 year / 75 year lifespan isn't really going to matter to you personally. I'd go with cheaper here.

Yeah I guess it does? A guy at work who also lives in the area said that was the case with our water district. It's water in LA so I wouldn't doubt that being the case.

We are going to have to completely repipe the house in a year or so because back in 2003 they used lovely pipe when building the place.

We are going to go with the cheaper stuff because we won't be here but for another 15 years at most so it's not gonna be our problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Epitope posted:

Stay a renter, retain your innocence

I like the house but moving in and having a $10k bill to fix poo poo along with another 15-20k to re pipe is not cool at all.

Another house in our community went on vacation for a 2 weeks and came home to their entire first floor being essentially ruined and it took nearly 5 weeks for them to get back to be able to live there.

Fuckin lovely rear end 2003 era copper pipes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Also the ladder to the attic is very much not safe to use, but I'm sure whatever is wrong up there can wait until it gets fixed.

Also famous last words.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s a beautiful piece of art

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

but it's going to take time to figure out how to load it. Like... the bottom rack is all weird. Instead of 2 big long racks it's got 1 medium rack and 2 small-ish racks.

The top (3rd) rack is interesting... great for big cooking/serving utensils. Not sure about other stuff so far. Going to have to experiment and see what works.

Yeah I have a bosh dishwasher and I agree on the racks. They are weird and I’m not sure if I like them tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

My Bosch 800 is still in the packaging because I haven't gotten my cabinets assembled yet so I can't even look at the racks yet, what part is dumb? From this video it seems pretty nice and very customizable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeUWEf3wZU

The bottom rack is whack AF

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just don’t replace that stupid filter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

the washing machine cleaning tablets seem to work pretty good in my experience too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my new house that I bought last Friday and moved into today has a shower stall with sliding glass doors. One of them just loving exploded on me when I was about to get in the shower a couple minutes ago.

I lucked out and did not get too badly cut, but holy poo poo did that scare the ever-loving poo poo out of me. Also you can imagine the state I was in since I was about to get into the shower. the deepest cut was like two inches away from the vein in my loving wrist.

Gonna replace that poo poo with a curtain holy poo poo

You need to check for ancient burial grounds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Counter space is king.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Highbrow Slick posted:

I have a 1250 sq ft townhouse style condo (1 attached neighbor at the kitchen, single level) and recently checked my projected PG&E bill for the upcoming month. Despite keeping the thermostat at 80, our upcoming bill was projected to be $763. So that’s not fun. For context, we are in California’s Central Valley which has very dry hot summers where temps stay above 100 for weeks at a time.

Yo this seems like almost impossibly high what’s going on there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Highbrow Slick posted:

In the four days since we turned the thermostat to 85, the projected energy bill dropped from $763 to $658 so it’s almost certainly cooling related. Generally the a/c doesn’t kick on until between noon and 1pm depending on that day’s high, and it cycles on and off regularly.

This past spring we’d have bills around $150/month during fair weather.

I also suspect we lose a lot due to leaky windows and the old a/c (not sure exactly how old), but we are three years out from being done with the mortgage and really want to avoid $$$$$ projects until then.

Even $658 seems ridiculously high for such a small place.

How much per KW are you paying? I’m in LA and my bill is like $120 this month and that’s running my ac all night.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spf3million posted:

Or even at minimum buy a can of foaming coil cleaner and clean the evaporative coils yourself. I did mine for the first time in my life this year and it took me about an hour total. Most of it was trying to figure out how to remove the exterior panels only to find out that my Trane model doesn't seem to be designed for them to be removable.

This is a pretty decent video on it.

https://youtu.be/k7PSzi7NSyc

It’s all in all really easy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

You really need to check your policy details on water damage. Most policies cover sudden accidental water damage like a burst pipe, but they may argue a cracked drain pipe is not sudden and accidental and with the way insurance companies are losing money these days you may be in a fight to get the claim approved.

edit: Not trying to be a debbie downer, just want to set expectations.

I found this out the hard and expensive way!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The rings are piss easy to set up and have like 100 options for power as well (solar).

You also don’t have to worry about having your own IP camera server.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw that emergency exemption applies to pretty much everything else you have as well so :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Helping clear out an old persons home and we just tore up some carpet that was all over the first floor. Awful ugly blue carpet that’s probably older than me. Just awful poo poo. Relatives think it was laid down in the late 70s

Of course it’s nice hardwood under. Probably original to the house, 1920s construction.

Realtor who’s helping move it sure did like it. (They’re selling to pay for her end of life stuff)

I love hardwood but how much would it actually cost to rehab a whole house like that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Floor refinishing isn’t too expensive if you don’t want to it yourself - we had 1500 sqft done for like $3500

Oh wow that’s not bad at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We had a mixture of rugs and hardwood in our last place. Our cats without fail would always find a way to throw up on the rugs.

I'm vetoing rugs in the new place and I fought to put down laminate throughout the house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I gotta ask what do you do with that? Like the radon of 3 looks bad but uh then what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

I'm thinking of just DIYing a Murphy Bed this fall.

How terrible of an idea is this?

For you? Not one at all!

For the person sleeping in it? Probably pretty terrible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

There is a high likelihood I will be the first one to sleep in it :ohdear:

I mean if you look at the pictures from that Costco link it doesn’t look overly complicated.

Just need to make sure you get the angles right I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

It's a great idea. I used this kit from rockler

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-create-a-bed-adjustable-deluxe-murphy-bed-hardware-kit

Took me a weekend-- I modified the plans to make it deeper and add a headboard, ended up being about $900 total with the wood.

I really wish I was this handy lol. These look really good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sundae posted:

Costco story of the day:

After talking about Costco poo poo on this dead gay forum, I decided to go down there after dinner and get some diet sodas and bottles of tea. The red lines on the map below are how far back the gasoline traffic was backed up for $0.08 cheaper than the place a few blocks down.

Also, while yes, this is insane traffic... I also blame this on whoever the gently caress designed the intersection leading to it and on Costco for putting in only one, single-lane-each-way road that serves both the gas station and store access. Utter horseshit planning.

Literally every Costco ever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 3 year warranty says to me that they will last exactly 3.5 years in the California sun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sundae posted:

I will acknowledge that I do not "get" Sunbrella. I've never had a boat, a yard, or a boatyard.

Can you explain this for me? :v:

Basically making fun of this

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I didn't realize people don't know about sunbrella never mind

I think it looks great but I know that it wouldn’t hold up for poo poo in LA.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Water is the enemy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just do what everyone in LA does and dump it on the sidewalk somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Had a new neighbor move in 2 doors down. I noticed last night there was some water leaking from the garage. I thought they were home so I figured they’d notice.

They weren’t home and I should have checked because the leak got a lot worse but thankfully the main shutoff valve is in the same place in all these houses so I shut that off at the very least.

Hopefully it’s just the hot water heater but it could be anything because they used the most poo poo pipes in this community and nearly everyone has had a leak.

Feel kinda bad because they legit moved in like 3 days ago lol