Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
If you have dogs that like to piss on things, make sure you have a fence around your A/C compressor. It is very corrosive and can damage the coil. Just had to replace a not so old one because my dog loves peeing on it apparently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
We had a leak that sprung along the base of our shower due to some grout cracking. Water started dripping through one of our recessed lights in the kitchen. We talked to a couple people and the consensus is that it shouldn't do that unless the shower pan is compromised. So we're about to rip all this poo poo up and go exploring... With our luck so far on this house, I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner decided that they didn't need a shower pan or something. Also, of course the marble tile color we have is discontinued so we're going to have to try for a close match and live with a mismatch or basically redo this whole thing.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
We were considering replacement of some of our wood windows that had some water damage and everyone kept pushing us towards these insert style replacements. Of course they say there will be "minimal glass area loss" since you are basically putting a frame inside the existing frame. Thankfully we managed to find a company that would do repairs even though the brand is discontinued. I'd say make sure you know what you're getting because that price seems too good to be true.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

nwin posted:

A few of the windows look like this and most are hard to close. Only been here a month so no idea how drafty they are

The manufacturer date appears to be 1988.

Oh man, that's exactly what happened with ours. I think the PO was not doing the proper maintenance. We had some back and forth with them during the inspection but they basically insisted that only the glass needed replacement for the weather seal. Turns out there was a lot more rot than they let on and our inspector only found the worst of it. I think we've had at least 5 windows that have needed at least some portion of the sash replaced. Caradco replacement parts are no longer made so we were lucky to find someone who had experience rebuilding these windows.

What does it look like underneath that spot? That's where we've found the rot that was missing from the inspection.

We are also trying to figure out replacement for the weatherstrip. Some of them are super drafty in the cold MI winters... These windows have been the worst surprise with our house so far.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Yeah, I believe they need to be re-treated over time. Even some of our windows that aren't rotted look like they need to be restained. I wasn't really familiar with wood windows before this so we had to just google it.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Our house came wired for a generator and had a decent looking transfer switch installed by the electric panel. The craziness came in when we went to plug in and test our generator. The PO had installed an "inlet" in the garage themselves.

We were new to the concept of a home generator setup at the time so we asked wtf they were doing to hook their generator up. They claimed they "made" their own cable and we were free to do the same or contact an electrician. So I guess they made a male-male suicide cable to make this work... lol.

Obviously, we had this replaced with a proper inlet, ripped out their DIY transfer panel, and installed a proper interlock.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Hadlock posted:

Awesome, gotta love "widow-maker" cables. They're totally safe... Until literally anything happens and your heart becomes the fuse breaker on a 60 amp circuit

The crazy thing is that it wasn't THAT expensive to get things right. I don't understand why they didn't just buy an inlet box and DIY install that here instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

distortion park posted:

Pretty certain the US of A could find a way of producing all those crops some other place with more available water.

Man, really feeling the idle/fallow in my region right now.