Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

Rigids seem to be the standard as you've heard, but I have a legit ShopVac brand one from when Lowes sold them (maybe they still do?) and it's quite nice. Stainless steel canister and all.

They went out of business.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

devmd01 posted:

$5500 for a replacement sliding patio door, thanks pella. Won’t even be here until late November. Our back door is original to the house and is in really rough shape, 25 years is a good run for a wooden door without cladding that is completely exposed to the elements and western sun. I love home ownership! :homebrew:

Just wait until they rip it out and find a rotten header.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

CloFan posted:

...Tomorrow I'm calling a plumber because I'm incompetent

This is decidedly not PO behaviour. I'd say you dodged that bullet.

Now if you stuck some gum in the flange, called it fixed, and installed the toilet anyways...

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

A new cheap Diablo forstner bit is leaving a Brad point hole behind. I've never used a forstner before but that seems wrong...

The point is clearly proud of the edges. Is this just a badly designed bit? I only wanted to make one hole damnit!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's how forstner bits work. The point keeps the bit from jumping around.

You know I knew it had a point but figured it was flush, though thinking that through now... I'll show myself out.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Wait you can get the whole screen with its frame replaced?!? I thought theyd just replace the mesh.
This changes everything.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Where I am in Canada, volumes are down significantly, but prices only slightly down m/m, and still up like 5% y/y.

I've heard you could actually get an inspection now first time in years.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Deviant posted:

Hourse Ownership: Pull. Harder.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I think your stairs look decent as is, but in general agree the skirt board will class things up a lot, so I could definitely see it being worth it.

Looks like it might overlap with the casing of the window at the bottom of the stairs.

I generally don't like the steel cable look indoors, and think the metal rod is nicer. Would you also update the railings in the living area, where that tv is? Looks like it matches the stairs currently.

At minimum I'd want to paint things and probably a fresh topcoat to align the finish with the rest of the house, but beyond that it really comes down to what youre willing to pay for pretty.

For what it's worth, if it was in the budget, I'd be leaning towards updating the trim, as I personally find it's a worthwhile aesthetic upgrade. I have no idea if it adds value to the home in general.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

Sounds a whole lot more like someone who lives close enough to the dog park who doesn't want a loving dog park there. Likely do to the regular reasons like the behavior of the people there or on their way to and from the park.

Right? No one is stealing this dog park. They are destroying it because they don't like it, but are somehow civil enough to clean up after themselves.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

That looks good to me. As a reference point, about a year ago I paid 2200 CAD to disconnect my main panel and replace it with a new one on a different wall 3 feet away. Almost zero new wiring needed.

The people quoting lower did not instill confidence. One insisted we wouldn't need to involve the electrical safety authority or the utility because "I've got these special gloves".

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Fresh air intake? Except the exterior vent cap closes.... Hmm

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

In my area you can put old toilets out to the curb for collection, but not if they are broken. Then you'd need to bring them to a depot/dump.

As far as I'm aware they take ceramic, so smashing and bagging would also work here.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think they were joking.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the best way to mount a 10 pound mirror over a fireplace? Its a lath and plaster wall with a brick chimney place behind it.

Im thinking some of those 3M command hook type deals. Never used them before but have heard decent things and it saves me putting a screw threw my walls and chimney.

Assuming the surface is prepped right and you get the right amount to hold that weight, they should be fine.

I've never had a failure with them, but a full mirror is really tightrope walking without a net.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Solo painting is such a drag. It’s hard not to think about how much faster the room would be painted if there was just one extra person to help with prep and cutting in. Really reinforces my desire to hire a crew for anything bigger in scope than an empty room or two.

Painting is the only thing anyone in my family wants to help with, haha.

People seem to find it the "fun" reno.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Upgrade posted:

Can someone explain LVP to me. People rave about it but I’ve never seen it look or feel good

It's total bullshit that it "looks and feels real" but it looks and feels acceptable to ok, is waterproof, and easy to install. It's also extremely thin. Perfect for a basement.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Is there a general goon preferred brand for standing shelves for a storage area?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Not the answer youre seeking probably, but

- home-built
- heavy steel poo poo from an office built before 1995

You're right not my first choice but I'm open to building something if there aren't affordable options. Any recommendations for where to source plans?

And thanks for the recs everyone. The prices on these metal shelves are a bit of a shock, but not entirely unexpected.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah I had to pay between 7.50 and 12.00 for my studs (cad), most of it around 7.50. it was awful. I think it peaked around $15 per 8' 2x4.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I can't get over that the company is named after them. It's like finding out George W. Bush was funded by the Hömmedepughs.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

What are you all paying for the cleaning service? Like $200 bucks a month or something?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the poo poo you use if you’re throwing out that toilet. And it works great for that. But I’d never want to clean it out of a toilet I was putting back.

It dissolves in water when you flush again.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Didn’t know that poo poo was safe to flush. I’ve used it in toilets that are going in a dumpster.

My own naivety is showing, but they advertised it as non-toxic and safe to flush and i just took their word for it.

How could you not trust a name like Oatey? Sounds like a friendly horse.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Does anyone know if someone makes a wireless smoke alarm with a built in strobe light?

Do they make wired to wireless smoke alarm adapters?

Edit: or other visual indicator

Jenkl fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 15, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I could never eat more than six myself.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Even putting a prehung door into a poorly framed or warped structure can be a huge pain in the rear end.

Refinishing the door is likely your most sanity-preserving option.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

That's a very normal structural engineer type job, it certainly looks possible with some type of beam.

The question will be if it's cost effective. I'm guessing yeah, and the door itself will be the priciest thing.

For comparison, I have a basement walkout built into a hill, so the back wall is on a half-basement wall concrete foundation, then 2-1/2 stories of wood framing. The beam over the walkout is 2-2x10s sandwiching plywood with glue. No steel needed.

It needed to be replaced recently, a temporary wall was built as close as they could to take the load, then chop chop. Whole thing didn't even take them half the day.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

These are realtor photos, might be putting an offer on this, wanted to see if it was feasible. For under $5k this looks like an ambitious DIY-er job maybe? I don't know anything about exterior door flashing but there's probably 11,000 videos on how to do it. Probably need to get planning permission to cut bigger holes in an exterior wall though.

Edit: yeah looking more closely looks like they just enclosed an exterior thing, might be feasible to do a glass garage door thing and blow out most of the wall since it's cheap aesthetic only. If you look closely the siding pattern changes slightly at the basement level.

Kind of always wanted to try my hand at welding up an old-style industrial steel window thing since it's probably not considered habitable space and not required to follow energy blah blah and it's in a climate that it doesn't really matter

You would typically need a permit to make a structural modification, not so much just because it's a hole to outside.

Maneuvering a big set of doors is a 2 person job.

Otherwise it's just watching videos and then getting it done in the right order come go time to get the flashing and trim right.

Just.

Since you will have just built the frame yourself, it will surely be plumb square and true so hanging a prehung door system should go pretty well.

Surely.

The structural changes are "just" wood framing. But for structural repairs it is ideal to have someone who is insured, so in case something is weird and everything collapses you'll get paid.

In my Canadian fun bucks? I don't think under 5k is doable, but these things can vary a lot by region.

In freedom units it seems more likely.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Oh whoops lol, I didn't process that the window is the same width as the door you're thinking. That makes more sense.

You should be able to cut that out yeah and plop 'er in. Cutting off that much of an exterior wall, even if not technically structural, could require a permit.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Probably a GC.

Roofers for the roof, or course. But you'll need a carpenter/framer (whatever it's called where you are) to build the new structure.

You'll also need any trades to adjust electric or plumbing that is in or that you want in that area.

Also, an engineer and a permit probably, depending on your jurisdiction.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I've got that (nominal) 16x25x5 so I basically take whatever the store has. Typically just one option and it's CAD $40+.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Sundae posted:

Introduce a possum infestation to your yard. They eat ticks. Now, as for dealing with them darned possums...

Wait, I know this. Let me remember...

There was an old lady who swallowed a shoe...

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So the mover just left

Reassembled all my wood furniture with a cordless impact gun "the hole was stripped when I got here :shrug:"

Good loving grief that's insane. What an awful job they did. Good luck with the insurance.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Your home is a write-off I'd just abandon it at this point.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

spf3million posted:

I've averaged 215 gallons of water used per day since we've moved in 1.5 years ago (seems like a lot but :shrug:). The water district informed me that my latest reading indicated an average of over 1,000 gpd over the last 2 months...

Shutting off the 1/4 turn ball valve at the house doesn't stop the meter from spinning and there aren't any big wet spots in my yard anywhere. The meter is at the street on the other side of our driveway. Stay tuned for photos of what will presumably be my ripped up driveway. At least the water district will reimburse me for half of the extra water I used this billing period if we show proof of prompt maintenance. Although half off of a $500 water bill doesn't really take the sting out of it.

I did not realize this was the campfire and we were sharing horror stories.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Tipping delivery people, including movers, has been common in many places long before Amazon made deliveries a daily occurrence, and tipping bled into otherwise tip-free transaction

For better or for worse.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

phosdex posted:

What is the correct way to pull some cables through an exterior wall into the interior? My office closet with my servers and switches has an ext wall. I would like to run 3 ethernet and 1 coax from the outside into the closet. Do I just drill a hole and seal it with silicone?

Basically, yeah. But use something suited for exterior use (sun and weather exposure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Can't wait to actually start making it mine. I have so many plans!

Famous last words.

You're going to fit right in.