Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can use that no sew iron on tape to make curtains without having a sewing machine. (You still need an iron or I guess a hot pan).

They sell rings that just clip to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What the hell why are you people rolling around in your attics? Just get an epipen and go hog wild.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The tub should install like a regular tub except for wiring it. (You should also include a maintenance panel to the mechanicals but that is irrelevant to gunk)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am pretty sure the tub vents are removable and they are not meant to keep the water in the tub. The tub and the jet piping are sealed together. The vent just pops in there to let you aim the current. Now the jet piping on some tubs is always full of water so you want to clean it out by using it and filling it with new dirty water. The fancy ones are designed so they drain back out the water inlet and have pipes filled with silver or something else that makes microbes die. Whatever the cause mildew is only stopped by depriving it of water.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Stand at top of grade, tie rope to mower handle, lower and pull back up. Repeat as necessary. This is a mowing tip provided by stumpy the one handed mower expert.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have declared war on thistles. Welding gloves are all I could find that were thorn proof. Stupid cheap rear end neighbors feeding birds thistle seed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The roots on these are insane. I am dealing with some old growth from the prior owner not caring and a summer of bank ownedness. Going to mix in some herbicide on the ones away from my plants to hopefully get some dead roots. I wonder if i can use some insect warfare. Not sure if I can get sterilized bugs or not. Anyone got a source on genetically modified thistle bugs?

http://www.bio-control.com/pricing.php

Jackpot.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
He can buy it back for the same price.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tricky Ed posted:

Always check a local Sears Outlet when you're looking for appliances. Actually going in and looking is pretty much your best option since their website won't list all of their items and their pictures will be terrible. Not everything will be a good buy, but sometimes you can get a good deal on something with just cosmetic damage. Occasionally a big box store will have returns at a great price, too, but they won't have them available during a sale.

Sear Outlet tip, they get spiffs for selling the warranty. They will lower the price by the warranty amount to get these. The warranty is fully refundable just call and cancel it.

Edit: Hail, your roof is toast. Should be covered if you have insurance. That is not normal hail.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 12, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

I feel really sad for all the people going to Sears and buying Kenmores. Just loving stop.

I think they are just rebadged Frigidaires or something. Pretty sure the warranty is secure.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you live in a city with a real building inspector avoid any contractor that says you don't need a permit, unless your deck is ground level then no one cares. A deck needs to be properly attached and supported so your kickin rad house party doesn't end up with mass death from synchronized deck jump to the music.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Homeownership: Your fridge doesn't have VR?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

Hopefully not pulling a bunch of radon up too!

It does exactly this, negative pressure, but if the windows are open then it pulls from the source of least resistance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Real stainless steel is more expensive then painted metal by a lot. That said $100 is only 1/5 of a juicero so.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Come on you have to be kidding me you don't have a fridge you can look into from your iphone?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The drain being blocked would not be covered by warranty and the warranty would probably not be transferable anyway. I suggest a plumber, not the one that did the shoddy install.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your filter is reducing airflow to much you just need a bigger surface area filter.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have two cat poop boxes side by side, my cat will only poo poo and pee in the one. I was told have one more poop boxes then cats so I do. I have no idea why it only uses the one poop box. That is my cat poop story.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

uwaeve posted:

Seems like a deck is a maintenance black hole. Less so obviously if the whole thing is composite/pvc railings etc but for that money it almost seems like I can have a nice patio put in. Other than pressure washing and making sure it's installed on a good base, what else is there to taking care of a patio? What are the things that suck about it after 10 or 20 years?

Well normally a deck is higher then ground level. Concrete is not as smooth to bare feet also, if it is you are going to slip on it wet and die.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Homeownership: You thought the windows would cost more then the shades?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For some reason, (probably shipping) none of the big box kits have the acid in the battery. It comes as an acid kit and an empty battery. Thanks Obama.

Damnit beaten like a red headed child.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Weber offers their grills in propane or NG configurations. Probably not going to find NG in stock anywhere.

If you live where NG is common Lowes will have them in stock. Florida, nope, Indiana yep.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lysandus posted:

I heard a critter in my crawlspace last night. :argh:

You may be able to get your insurance company to pay for the poop removal and new insulation.

Edit: Nevermind crawlspace is under the house, get a tax abatement for running a nature preserve.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My last house I owned the land up to the middle of the fing street. Hey large city lot 1.5 legal acres! ( .5 is right of way but you get to pay taxes on it anyway!)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC didn't we used to have a home security thread somewhere? I can't seem to find it

Yeah ideally if your house has an install you can pay $3 a month for monitoring instead of $50 to adt. I have no idea where the thread is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just pay someone to do it right.

This, the prep is a pain in the butt and if you do it right it not only will look better but it will last a long time without failing. I have a dumb house that has 20 foot ceilings so nope I hired some ladies that were fine with balancing on one foot like a 3 stooges movie.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know throwing the HOA letter in the trash is not that hard. It is rare that they will bother to sue you to enforce some rule. On the plus side I have an awesome pool.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't have an HOA and I'm glad of it, but it would be nice to have some sort of mechanism in place to fund things like tree trimming, repaving, etc. that the city I live in simply won't pay for.

I really just want my street re-asphalted so I can skate on it. :stoked:

Run for city council. I think if you have a catchy name you will win I never know who is who when I vote for that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People seem to like the honda powered ones if money is not an issue. I usually just ask around at work and someone always has one they want to get rid of for 10 bucks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like how the realtor tries very deliberately not to get caught up in the musk of mental illness radiating off this place in thick, syrupy waves.

You can see the owner on the mower in some pics. (Warning it works like the black circle movie).

You will have to put a mannequin in every room of your house or die.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I would guess that a person who owns a house that valuable might not do his own mowing.

e. OK yeah that's a mannequin.

poo poo it is in the same spot in both photos.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Buca di Bepis posted:

So the square footage is a factor but that house looks like it's in the middle of loving nowhere. Is super long distance exurb property in Texas really that valuable?

It has a stream of cow poop and fertilizer running through the back yard. I think we know the cause of the owners mental illness.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You probably don't have this option but I just filter out all houses older then 2009. That seems to be the point in my city that they hired real building inspectors for new construction and fired the guys you just bribe with a day old doughnut and a fifty.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think they might be talking about the solar shingles?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If it wasn't so expensive I would retrofit with closed cell foam. If I ever build new gonna get the whole house sprayed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your builder doesn't know anything about HVAC, and is probably installing the most inefficient cheap rear end unit as the main furnace. I would guess you can get away with a slightly better unit, basements add very little load to a heating and cooling system. Maybe a walk out could be a problem but ground is a good insulator especially with properly finished and insulated walls. I am assuming you are building a 3000 square foot home which makes it at the top of one furnace size, if you are going with two units, put one dedicated to the top floor and have the other run the main/basement as separate zones.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah 3000 square foot on one unit is well within the range of normal units. Basements are like half loads so you are really looking at 2250 square feet of HVAC space. Basement runs are nothing to install when doing the other runs the return is just a hole in the side of the furnace. Two furnaces in a house that small would be insane.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dazerbeams posted:

A friend just bought a house after inspections and what have you. She'd only been living in it for a few days when a serious chunk of ceiling fell down to reveal considerable water damage. Would it be a good idea for her to consult a lawyer on what her options are?

Well considering the inspector didn't find it it would be hard to prove the previous owners were aware of it and didn't disclose, assuming they didn't disclose or mark don't know. You won't get anything out of suing the inspector from both the protection in their agreement and the fact most are broke chumps. That said lawyer up they need to eat too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes you can get a significantly cheaper install price during slow time, like right now. Everyone has gotten the AC fixed and is not thinking about heat yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Landscaping, There are stone slinger trucks that conveyor belt stone to where you want it. The stone kinda flies off the belt though. Would need some plywood to protect the house and AC.

Steampunk Hitler, if your AC units are freezing up, something is hosed. Your units are either not properly sized or improperly installed. (Or leaking I guess), I would not pick any install that did not replace the AC unit lines completely. Natural gas is so cheap right now I skipped any heat pump stuff this last install because it just was dumb to not heat 100% with cheap rear end fracking gas.