Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife and I are starting our home purchasing journey. This is already Not Fun™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Amaryllis or bust

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress it drive on

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m not a homeowner for another month but I’ll be a proud SAHoT THOT

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Slow News Day posted:

Anyone here know anything about "cool roof" coatings? I live in Central Texas and I'm looking for ways to reduce my energy bills this summer.

I currently have asphalt shingles. Ideally, I can spray or install some sort of coating or material on the roof I already have, rather than a complete roof replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOI99ew5MM

I stumbled across this guy's channel and he just happens to live in Austin so everything applies perfectly for our climate. Hell I might even go with the vendor he recs. He has a few videos on attic science and the different ways to go about HVAC and Texas.

Suck, Seal, Spray is the idea.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 22, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is it still the go to advice of getting a roofer to give the non insurance cash quote? Wild that roof and medical care work the same way!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I once called Comcast to do the song and dance of threatening cancelling and they called my bluff and said that’s unfortunate but okay. I was forced to cancel. I called the very next day to establish new service and got the promo deal.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There’s usually a label on the inside of the cavity somewhere. Door or the frame. But yea looks electric convection

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just want to be able to shove a baking half sheet in no problem. Will the Bosch let me do this

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ve had that happen in our apartment before. The smoke detectors are those super sensitive ionization ones. Opening the oven for a second would set it off if we didn’t have the exhaust vent at full tilt

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Amazon, the Spencer Gifts of online shopping

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What do you do for water runoff on a clipped roof?

Similar thing going on here where the clipped section doesnt extend to any gutters so it just falls off and splashes on the side of the house. There's enough splashing that it has since stained the brick siding.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

HELOC and home equity loans are more or less designed for this purpose

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Payment on delivery.

They didn't deliver, they don't get payment. Not your problem (I mean it is that's why you're firing them) that they were so poo poo at safety and blew up the deal.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You’ll likely have a hell of a better time suck, sealing, and spraying than just adding more insulation.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I absolutely hate fans that only operate via remote. I have no idea if the remote is messed up or the receiver box in the actual fan or what. All I know is that I can’t use the actual fan portion and it’s driving me mad.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

As a fire investigator in LA Noire I know a thing or two about home explosions

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I lived next to Sun City in the 90s and I made the mistake of trying to do a Boy Scout fundraiser there exactly once. Buncha angry rear end olds that won’t help a kid out. gently caress Sun City

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Is there any way to estimate the life left in dock joists?

The top of my dock is rotting with some boards rotted through. The 2x12 joists feel very sturdy, jumping on them at the widest span makes several oscillations and taking a board off and knocking on a few they feel solid.

I really like the idea of redoing in composite, but the 2x6 trex is gently caress off expensive at $7/bf. The joists are 24" on center so I am stuck with the thicker composite. I am thinking I could save a boatload of money by having someone just resurface the dock with water sealed PT 2x6s but if the frames going to be toast within 10 years I'd rather just do it once and do it right. How can I tell?

You’ll have to pull the boards and inspect the joists to be sure. If you’re lucky and don’t have any rot spreading you can likely get away with just GTaping the joists and getting new deck boards. Aside from that if there’s any soft spots created you could also sister a board to the rotted joist to extend it for a bit more time before having to do a total replacement.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My ecobee will pop an alert because the air quality gets real bad because of the gas stove across the house has been on simmering a chili. Love that it can tell me I’m dying.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Google Fiber is coming to my neighborhood in the next few months. Do they generally put the DMARC wherever in your house or do they just pipe it to some external wall and call it a day and its up to you to extend it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just hook up to city sewer bing bong so simple

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just drill a hole in your yard and say you're using your "mud" for fracking purposes and i dunno maybe you'll hit something good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hadlock posted:

We have the same behavior on our water heater. I usually run the sink on hot water for 5 min before stepping in the shower.

I wonder if that's an energy star thing? No need to keep the water temp at 150F from 9pm-6am, people are sleeping, maintain it at 115F which uses probably half the energy, then from 9am-5pm maintain it at 115F when people are (probably, pre covid) at work all day. You only need 150F water for about 90 minutes two times a day (for an "average" family) the rest of the time you'd save a lot of energy keeping the water temp borderline hot.

I don't think it has a clock but based on the thermostat alone it can probably tell when it's in active heating vs maintain temp mode and can switch between the two pretty reliably.

Wouldn't this be the use case for tankless pretty much? On demand hot water and the rest of the time its whatever

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Russians used a dish washer

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The never use soap on a cast iron skillet and never washing raw denim jeans crowd is a perfect circle

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Living in Texas means we all got boring rear end slab on grade with an attic that will murder you. I want a basement!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I've heard that hiring a cleaning service was "the best money I've ever spent" for like a decade and now I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to become addicted. I genuinely don't mind those chores tho? Its always wise to spend if you can to get more free time, I'm generally not using my free time that well anyway.

I mean I don't have kids and I'm sure thats the biggest part of getting a cleaning person, but I'm in the same boat. Most cleaning tasks are pretty short and spread out over a couple days.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I get a poo poo load of Viking Cruises advertisements from our PO

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is eucalyptus that much worse vs teak for outdoor furniture? We started down the path and good lord was that some sticker shock. We have some fantasies that we'll become outside lounging people but I know deep down that is absolutely not gonna be the case.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My mother in law visited our house for the first time last night and somehow managed to get the toilet running for 3 hours and waste 200 gallons in that time period :wtc: She had only been here for 4 hours!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rooftop garden with the water draining back into a gray water collection barrel and re-using it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of toilets, banjo counters are something I’m glad are gone because this is the dumbest poo poo. Do you just assume you’ll never need to work in the toilet?!?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's making homeowner's insurance so hard to get now? Is this a CA-specific wildfire thing?

The world is dying

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you got like a shed or something you need to let daylight into, you can make one of those solar tube lights yourself by filling a clear plastic soda bottle with water and a bit of bleach (to stop stuff from growing in the water and clouding it up) and cramming that thing through a hole in the roof then seal it with some tar or something. That's actually where I first saw the concept, for lighting structures during the day that don't have access to power.

Hows Haiti these days?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I snagged a solid oak coffee table from some dude off Facebook marketplace for $50 who literally worked at the shop in Ohio where it was made in the 70s. As the olds die off there is gonna be some incredible furniture showing up

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hadlock posted:

One old house we were in, the hot water heater was in the garage, and the bedrooms/bathrooms were all on the far side of the house ~65+ feet away, so that's like 2.3 gallons, assuming zero heat loss

We are in the same boat. The primary bathroom is on the far end of the house while the guest bathroom is much closer and gets nice hot water. The primary is warm at best. Is there anything you can realistically do in a case like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Struensee posted:

Can you insulate the pipes?

Slab on grade baby