Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Elephanthead posted:

It is much cheaper to have a truckload delivered. This reminds me I need a landscaper.

Maybe it's regional differences, but mulch is like $45 a yard delivered, whereas Lowe's 2-cubic-foot bags are $45 a yard ($27 a yard during sales). This discounts the cost of fuel, time, and Ibuprofen, of course, but to some people (my inlaws with a trailer, for instance), these things aren't "real costs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=104

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.

I'm going through refurbing my system now, digging up and raising/lowering/replacing heads. Once you figure out what type of general crap you have, a good place to poke around is Sprinkler Warehouse. They are also pretty cheap compared to what a contractor, big box store, or landscape supply place will charge.

For breaks in the line, I used a telescoping repair thing that I love. I literally can't find it online right now, but it is a black telescoping section that collapses to 4" long and expands to 8" long and has a barb on each end for 1" black polyethylene hose. You need some extra hose clamps, and ideally a handheld propane torch and a tubing cutter. Look up local John Deere Landscape (or SiteOne, not sure if they have changed the name over yet), and ask for a fitting to repair a break in the line type you have, which may be black (mildly flexible) polyethylene or white (rigid) PVC. They'll also carry all the fittings and cutters etc you may need.

I'd take a picture but I just buried my last one in the ground last week, and I can't remember the brand.

Aside from the break question, PM me or I can give you an email and I can try to help with getting you up,and running. I'm not an expert but over the past year I've replaced/adjusted/hosed with a number of parts and pieces in a 48-head, 12-zone system.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.

I finally found what this thing is called, it's a poly stretch coupler. For the black polyethylene line, I think mine was 1" line. You may have PVC (rigid, which would take a different type of coupler) or a different size, so check first. If you use what I used grab a hand propane torch to soften up the line before trying to pull the bad section off or put the new section on. Also a tubing cutter made for this stuff was helpful to get a nice square cut.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for recommendations on a composite or PVC (or other? aluminum maybe?) deck rail system. I'm re-decking my current deck, and the railing posts are notched 3x3s (down to like 1.5" effective) attached to the outside of the rim joist, so I'm looking to tear them out and do full 4x4 posts with some StrongTie hardware or something similar.

I take it vinyl is weak and wobbly in the sun, so I figure pvc-capped composite is the way to go.

Does anyone have any brand experience or tips for me? Is there any advantage to buying something besides whatever Home Depot/Lowe's has in stock for me? I don't need high end things like a large color selection, extra detailing, crazy baluster choices, etc. I just want some choice of rail cap profile besides RECTANGLE. Aside from meeting code and actually like, having a railing, I can technically do this last, correct? Like I can tear out the railing, posts, and decking, then (assuming the deck structure is still good) put my railing 4x4s in and re-deck around them, leaving the actual post slip covers and railings/balusters as the last decision I need to make?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also the frequency of mowing should be such that you aren't removing more than a third of the height when you mow. In the spring thee are times I have to mow twice a week, then it moves to once every five or six days, dictated by how long above 4" it gets. By this metric, you can also see that keeping the lawn longer lets you mow it less often. Definitely mulch, and if you have a halfway capable mower and don't mow wet grass, the clippings shouldn't be offensive anyhow. It's side-discharge mowers OR mowing a long, wet lawn that leaves the rows of clippings.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Vacuum chat: How are robotic vacuums these days? Anything worthwhile for helping keep on top of things?

I splurged for a roomba 650 2 weeks ago, Target and Amazon had them on sale for 325.

I honestly don't know how I lived without the thing. It doesn't replace vacuuming, but it seems like we can go a lot longer between vacuuming, and the house is much tidier throughout the period between.

I read the whole sweethome article, they give good info about a couple models.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Sometimes I encounter houses with those tacky white plastic office blinds. Why? Why are these here, in a house? They're completely ineffective at blocking light and they look like poo poo. Why were they even installed in the first place?

Probably privacy for $2.97 per window? I'm with you that they look like poo poo, but real blinds get expensive fast.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Bozart posted:

Appliancechat: I knew Home Depot had a bad reputation, but their Labor Day sale on washers and dryers was ridiculous so I figured, well screw it I'll order from then and deal with problems, but spend less money. So we go to the local store and get a clerk to sell us a new washer and dryer, and pedestals because my wife said that they would be really good and I almost never do laundry so I'm not going to argue. Delivery day comes and they bring 29" pedestals for 27" appliances. I reject the delivery like the HD guy said to if there was anything wrong. And the installation guys got pissed that they had to put our existing machines back so they put them in the wrong places and tore our walk off rug.

Next the HD won't call back even after leaving a bunch of messages over 2 days, and finally a week later they refund the order when I go there in person to get them to do something (their clerk had ordered the wrong size)

Then when I go back to try to get the right appliances ordered, they say there are none of them left in the US. Also they haven't seen their appliance manager in days and don't know where she is.

They are right, all of the big stores that sell this model for this price are out of stock, and I'm like gently caress it until I look at consumer reports' rating of appliance sellers, and do you know who is on top? loving Amazon. Lo and behold they do have the right model at the right price and had it shipped 2 hours after I clicked buy, and I know for sure they have good customer support, so hooray Amazon I guess.

As someone who's getting our new Labor Day w&d delivered tomorrow, thanks for ramping up my anxiety. We're due for something like this.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Whosoever among us does not have a shelf full of Home Depot mystery bags full of two-to-six-year-old-intended-for-return-items may cast the first stone.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hey about leaf chat...

It is true that well-mulched leaves are a great source of organic matter for your lawn, and can even provide enough nitrogen to reduce fertilizer needs. The caveats are that they need to be pretty well mulched, and the mechanism that turns mulched leaves into humus is microbial activity in the soil, which drops off as it gets cold. If you have a lot of mature trees, this means you have to stay on top of the mulching (like every 2 or 3 days during peak leafocalypse) and you still run the risk of choking out the lawn (a couple different factors) until spring when soil temps rise and the leaf cover gets processed and disappears. Its also not very clean looking from fall through spring.

That being said, if you have a lawn tractor and want to get rid of leaves, the absolute best purchase you can make is a Cyclone Rake, a tow-behind leaf vac. Design, construction, functionality, and customer support are all amazing. You need a lot of the accessories to make it really shine so don't be fooled by the base prices, but consider the before and after for my particular lawn (1/2 acre clear area, lots of mature oak and maple).

BEFORE
mulch every 2 or 3 days for 3 weeks, always running the risk of rain or drifts of leaves making the mulch too thick to process with the mower
OR
spend 10-12 hours each weekend for 5 weeks blowing piles onto tarps and hauling to the woods

AFTER
3 hours every week or two including blowing out corners, mulch beds, perimeter, and also blowing out dumping area to make room for more loads.

Source: I did the various befores for 4 years and bought a Cyclone Rake Commercial Pro this September, went in on it with 2 other guys in the neighborhood. We have no problem getting all three lawns done in one day each week or two.

It's a delete button for leaves.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SnatchRabbit posted:

Couple quick questions that my local hardware store couldn't answer.

1. I am having a sump pump installed in my basement this week. One of the primary concerns is that when we get heavy rain we also sometimes lose power. The pump itself operates on a standard power outlet. The plumber says I just need an uninterruptible power supply. Is this the same kind of UPS I could use for a server? Obviously it needs to be in a dry spot but can anyone recommend one?

2. We also want to buy a generator. How much power/what model would we need to run the furnace/some electronics on a barebones basis? Again what kinda wattage would I need? Is there a standard way to plug the generator into the furnace? Our furnace is 15-20 years old so I have no idea if this is even possible.

edit: ok I lied three questions:

3. Should I take out a home equity line of credit for reasons other than home improvement? I read that in order for the interest to be tax deductible, the line of credit has to be under $100,000. Does this mean, the total amount of debt that we wind up borrowing has to be under $100,000 or that the entire line of credit (even if we don't use the entire amount available) has to be under $100k?

Couple things.

As someone mentioned you'll need to compute the energy you need stored in a UPS to see how long it will run. I don't think they're really meant as backup power sources, but rather to provide enough power for things like servers to shut down gracefully. My gut feeling is that running a pump for a significant amount of time/volume of water is going to need a huge UPS.

The generator is more the thing I think is appropriate. You'll need someone more familiar with them than me to answer your questions, but it's worth noting you likely need an additional switching mechanism to disconnect your electrical service from the line to your house. This is so you don't murder someone working on the grid with your generator.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Leviathan Song posted:

If time is not too much of a factor you can get them pretty cheap off craigslist most times. Otherwise, probably about $3 per foot.

This is the only thing I can ever think of when someone talks about buying landscape material off CL.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Do we have a thread about pools here? Pool maintenance, pumps, heaters, etc?

Or is this the place?

I don't know but troublefreepool.com is where I came up to speed fast after buying a house with a pool.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The No Spill brand gas cans are kind of great.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like a deck is a maintenance black hole. Less so obviously if the whole thing is composite/pvc railings etc but for that money it almost seems like I can have a nice patio put in. Other than pressure washing and making sure it's installed on a good base, what else is there to taking care of a patio? What are the things that suck about it after 10 or 20 years?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

People covered high quality paint, but buy high quality brushes and rollers as well, then learn how to take care of them. The expensive perdy roller handle is totally worth it over the home depot cheap one, same with the rollers themselves, Wooster brushes, etc. Buy a screw on broom handle if you don't have one and need to do high areas, your roller handle will screw onto it allowing you to do ceilings and such. For your paint tray buy double the number of plastic liners you think you need, plus one.

Then buy a package of very small, cheapest paint brushes harbor freight sells for misc bullshit which will come up in a week.

Seconding this, I have a couple Zibra brushes, I think they may be polyester, that are amazing and I spend a lot of time cleaning them up to keep them that way.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Exterior painting question. We have a contract for a house to get painted, and I'm looking for some "what to paint what color" advice. We have the colors picked out, but I'm having trouble visualizing what to paint what.

Main body is gonna be light gray, trim white, shutters dark gray, front door is like between royal and navy blue I guess.

Trying to figure out what to do with the storm doors, garage doors, garage man door, and the sliding glass and separate door/storm door on the back deck.

Garage on side, doesn't face front sorry for potatocam

Doors on back deck

I guess the storm door frames will be painted the trim color (white)? It's what they are now, except all yellowed from UV I guess. Sound right?

The two other normal steel doors (garage and deck), any thoughts on whether they get blue or just the main body color or the trim color? The garage can be seen from down the street (but doesn't face the street), not sure if you want that front door to be the one that pops in blue then everything else sort of blended (i.e. do all the other doors in the body color or trim color)? Also they're painting gutters and downspouts, should they just blend with whatever they're on? Main color for the downspouts against the siding, and trim color for the one that runs down the corner attached to the corner board?

I thought the hard part was picking the actual color but it is becoming apparent there's a lot of random poo poo to houses other than siding trim and shutters.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 28, 2017

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sab0921 posted:

I want to do a clean wall mount of a TV which shouldn't be an issue, if done by November, the previous owner will pay for the installation of the electrical outlet necessary.

Although - now I want to do an install such that there is nothing underneath the TV - I have seen it done a few times, but the question I have is how to actually do it and be able to use the AV equipment (we basically only have a Chromecast, Nintendo Switch and nVidia Shield).

You want to route wires to another room, a closet, or another floor. You'll need plenum or riser rated cables and something like this remote to control everything. The remote is RF (and IR, for the TV control), and you stick the hub with your equipment and it acts as an IR transmitter. Add some keystone panels with the connectors you need and it can look all cleaned up. I just went through this, ran conduit in the wall and stuck all the equipment in the basement, did in wall speakers etc. Let me know if you need more info or terrible ideas, some of the stuff is frustrating to find.

Keystone plate behind the TV

Busted out wall for conduit (you don't necessarily need this level of idiocy)

Le Mans HQ, hasn't been plastered yet but you can see the center speaker that rides on a bracket above the TV and the in-wall on the right side.

All goes down a floor and runs along the ceiling in the basement

And terminates at this catastrophe, currently still with my professional cable management technique of "pile it on the fuckin floor"

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What does everyone use for grass seed? I live in Maryland and my backyard is fenced in with a dog, so it gets a lot of heavy use. Looking for something potentially durable. I've been looking at some rye grass since I've heard they have high traffic tolerance but in all actuality I have no idea what to look for.

You may want to look into a local university agricultural extension, often times they have very specific and local advice on species and cultivar selection and blends for different traffic and maintenance levels.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Oh boy, there are two dime-sized soft spots in the ceiling of my bathroom. I assume that this is what water damage looks like

Help thread, who do I call? Plumber? General contractors? Structural engineer? How many thousands of dollars can I look forward to spending on what looks like such a small problem (which I think is a large problem because surely digging out pipes between two floors is bad news)

Real estate agent. Kilz the stain and list the house.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Ace is down the road but carried neither the transformer I needed nor 6-station irrigation timers

Sprinklerwarehouse.com has reasonable prices and a good selection, I’ve found.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit I finally figure out an open fire and I have zero chestnuts on hand

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

therobit posted:

Uh... how hosed up is your colon that a reduction in plunging is a "huge quality of life improvement?"

In my experience the vast majority of our household plunging incidents are due to the scientific exploration of the toilet's hydrodynamic capacity for toilet paper by preschoolers.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The best thing about having the unslammable toilet seat lids at home is pooping anywhere else and absolutely spiking the seat lid afterwards because you absentmindedly just let it drop.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are there any easy ways to get Home Depot coupons? Gonna make a big purchase and would love a 10% off coupon.

Go to post office, ask for mover’s packet (think it has forms for change of address etc but I think they come with coupons).

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also what travels the road.

At our last house we were fairly close to the road, which was fairly well traveled but tolerable even with a lot of regular traffic.

However, there was a quarry up the road so like 50 trucks a day are engine braking past the front door for the stop sign at the bottom of the hill 4 houses down.

Also every Sunday for six months a year there would be these huge motorcycle groups, like 50-200, each bringing 140 dB of freedom right past the house. They’re going the OTHER way so they have to be on the throttle going UP the hill from the same stop sign.

Relative peace and was a big priority when looking for our current house.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Look for local Milorganite equivalents as well. In Mass we have the same thing from our local water treatment plant for $4/bag (you pick it up locally) vs $12/bag for Milorganite.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just lol if u guys own your rooves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIvy posted:

Theorize with me goons. Me second bedroom has an outlet between two windows. About 4-5 feet above it is another box for an outlet. There's a romex cable that runs between the two but wasn't hooked up to anything on either end when I moved in. Why would someone do this? My first thought was for mounting a TV but it seems like a lot of work to hide a couple feet of cord. Can anyone think of another reason someone would want power that high up a wall?

I had a box put in each of two rooms for IP cameras that toddlers couldn’t unplug.