Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Hue bulbs are a lot cheaper and more modular than changing your wiring. I own my apartment and I use them, with the plan of having the wiring changed once I figure out which lighting I want where. Right now I can adapt them on the fly, I imagine changing your wiring sets some stuff in stone, or at least requires finding some nice people who want to do the job along with a concrete plan.

A lot of times I’ve thought ‘wouldn’t it be nice if…’ and tapping a few buttons just let me see what’s up. Nothing wrong with that if you’ve just been living somewhere for a year or 2 or so imo.

Mainly I want to get one or two rooms renovated, and so it doesn’t really make much sense to screw with wiring before that’s all planned out and underway. And that’s a 3 year plan, so…

I suppose it changes things if you can do electrical work yourself (I don’t want to). I will eventually have smart switches instead of smart bulbs though. Just seems better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Ignoring fixtures, replacing a switch with a Lutron Caseta is dead simple, and in no way locks you into anything other than wanting all your switches on the same system.

I don’t have hue fixtures or anything, so I’ll look into this. Not too much to replace so maybe I’ll get a handy friend to show me the ropes here, thanks.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Imagine the restraint of everyone not telling that goon they smell like cat piss

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

It's not called skunk because it's breezy fresh

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Academician Nomad posted:

Fine but I maintain that you don't see this trend for other major appliances / home purchases,

Absolutely not true, ovens can go up to the 3-5k range if you want steam/top of the line features/A Bigger Oven, bathrooms are a whole other monster (spartan or all the fixings including towel warmer?), toilets can go from standard to 1-2k japanese luxury models that 3d image your rear end in a top hat to find the optimal bidet spray arc, you can spend so much drat money on every type of home purchase or appliance that I'm surprised the gas stoves are this big a deal to you. Just now I remembered those insta-boil/carbonating Quooker taps too.

Hell even furniture itself can easily go up to multiple thousands per single object for the good stuff. No clue where you got the idea that people selling appliances and other homeowner things aren't willing to gobble up all your cash

A 10k oven is a lot but if you really want a double oven with steam function you'll probably have to go with something like a Thermador which is at least 5k. For just that. Personally I use a regular oven with a separate sous videing setup which is far cheaper, but if I had infinite money...

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 29, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Aw, so my 1988 apartment is play doh garbage, shucks

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Motronic posted:

just like how the new speedqueen washers have a "normal" setting that uses less water but doesn't actually clean clothes so you just have to use the "heavy" setting all the time.

this is so incredibly garbage about newer appliances

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Did you leave it running for 4 hours or longer? Go see your local mechanic.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I hope my smart roomba leads to amazon delivering things to my home using mortars

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

my TV is a bit high but it's just right if you slouch a little bit. No regrets, but maybe a sliding mount would have been a good idea.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

the worst part of that picture isn't the tv, it's the bare walls

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I have some cool vintage posters from auction websites and random street market finds up, along with cheap small canvas prints of my funniest dall-e 2 creations

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I recommend against CO poisoning

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

H110Hawk posted:

Or if that puppy cam is inside your house and streaming to the cloud, if you want the police and creeps watching your private life.

This is why I went back on my plan to have a kitten cam to watch at work :(

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Muir posted:

House Ownership: I can afford this, but it makes me sad

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah I like choosing what to fix and more importantly how to fix it, as a renter you'd just get stopgaps or no fix at all. It'd end up worse in the long term but landlords were rarely interested in preventing that

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

You can also wait a dozen years or so and have 2 helpers instead of one

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But it's far safer than having a robot vac. Throw those in the trash immediately if you've still got one

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/12/19/1065306/roomba-irobot-robot-vacuums-artificial-intelligence-training-data-privacy/

Especially with Jeffy B trying to buy iRobot for customer housing data

This is just dumb scaremongering, let Venezuelan foot fetish guys have their time in the sun

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I’m probably switching to a neato roborock when they get a self emptying bin. My stick vac owns, but can’t beat twice a day remotely robo vacuuming while away when you have pets. I’m not worried about my roomba spying on me, though. I’ve got a phone in my pocket which is way better at that.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Definitely use glass or something yeah. And new dishwashers really are magic compared to 20 year old stuff

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

EricBauman posted:

Is this even possible?

I have these dark grey marks in my porcelain kitchen sink (from normal utensils) that I've been trying to remove but I haven't found a way to do it.

When I'm redoing my kitchen in the near future, I'm going back to brushed metal for my sinks.

Vinegar/window cleaner and a microfiber cloth got rid of snake metal marks in my bathroom sink

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

My stainless steel sink is scratched up but I don’t get people who have the discipline to keep that stuff shiny and polished

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Never expected to see that posted here lmfao don’t kill yourself goons

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

yep

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Hadlock posted:

I'm pretty sure ours is made from shredded polyester disco pants, dyed green. If you hop out of the pool and jump on the slope still soaking wet it's like a slip n slide with the added adventure of the risk of rugburn at the bottom if you weren't wet enough

There's a lot of variety of fake grass

this post kinda looks like astroturfing

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Shifty Pony posted:

I think a lot of the "no soap on cast iron" stuff comes from old soap formulations which had significant amounts of lye still present. The surfactants in something like Dawn won't do anything to seasoned cast iron even if you soak it, but lye will actively eat away the coating in a matter of seconds via alkaline hydrolysis.

A lot of it probably comes from hobby home cooks who use theirs once a month and own a kiss the chef apron

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I use a dyson stick vac which rules if your house isn’t too big

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

PainterofCrap posted:

Ha! That reminds me of the time the doctor left me in the exam room cooling my heels. After about ten minutes I was triggered by the uneven shut-lines on his wall cabinets. They had Euro 4-way hinges, so I adjusted them.

He comes in about ten minutes later & apologized. After pointing out the cabinet doors, he was amazed; he'd had people in to adjust them & they all said it couldn't be done.

This is how you get the *good* meds prescribed

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I don’t touch electric and gas, the rest I do badly, but that’s a problem for the next owner (city center apartment, at least it looks better than it did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

they're not just called screen door clips?