Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I want to murder the people who installed my gutters. The downspouts are enormous (5"x6") and seemingly too big for splash blocks and the like. My mulch beds are turning into deep valleys in my front yard, and the positioning of the gutters and bushes combined with the size is making it a nightmare to figure out a solution.

They also neglected to put up a splash guard on the corner of my garage, so the locking sand between my pavers has been washed out and there's a noticeable ridge (my driveway has a bit of an elevation change).

/vent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

TacoHavoc posted:

A few pictures and maybe someone here could help with a solution. I feel like 5x6 is a big gutter for residential. Is your house all roof or does everything drain to one point or something?

Good call.

First up, the gutter near the garage. It's digging quite the hole to China
https://imgur.com/a/fRauI9p

Next, we have the gutter that empties into the bushes. Looks like this bush doesn't have much left to grab onto before it washes away
https://imgur.com/a/7HpgNrO

Here we have the garage. It's hard to see in the photo, but basically the water rushes in that corner, jumps over the gutter, and has created a bit of a ridge down the paver driveway. All of the locking sand is gone.
https://imgur.com/a/1bpqklo

And finally, we have the drain near the pool. The landscapers put in the box, which follows a five foot long pipe the yard. It doesn't seem to work too well, as the end of the pipe will flood along with the box.
https://imgur.com/a/qE2z2Fp

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Gutter downspout s need to be extended at least several feet from your foundation to be effective. That hasn't been done and it may require grading changes but that's difficult to tell from pictures.

Basically your gutter install was never completed.

Don't even get me started on these people...

I can't say I've seen any houses in this area that have gutter downspouts that extend several feet from the house. My plan is to get some 6" flexible piping and route the water away as best I can. The pool deck drain, I have no idea how to fix that part

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

StormDrain posted:

And post pics inline.

There's no scale but they don't look as big as you described, are you sure these aren't 3x4 downspouts? Those are the standard bigger size.

For your garage perhaps there's something that you can use to slow down the water flow which will help it land in the gutter.

A web search brought up Gutter Valley brand Splash shields that you can install to create a vertical extension to the gutter.

Sorry, imgur isn't letting me add .jpg to the link in order to do that for some reason.

They are 5x4, not 6x5 as I originally thought, just went out and measured them again.

And yeah, I plan to do a splash guard in that corner and see if that helps. I gotta stop that, then have the pavers re-set and locked, then have them sealed.

Homeownership: it never ends

Edit: I know they make flexible downspout extensions, but all I can find are 2x3 or 3x4, so I think going with a 6" flexible pipe is my best option to route the water around the bushes and away from the house

Omne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can just string multiple flexible extensions together if you need to go further

The problem is i can't find 4x5 extensions, only 2x3 and 3x4

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've had good luck with Rocco & Roxie for cleaning up our dog's gifts on our floors

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Our HOA is either the best, or the worst. Changing a rule requires a quorum of property owners, of which there are 800+ units. We inherited rules from the builder, many of which everyone hates, many of which need updating because they don't make sense.

But because there are so many rental units/out-of-town Brazilian owners, quorum has never been reached in the three years that residents took over running the HOA. It's nearly impossible. So the rules remain, enforcement is nearly impossible (because the builder doesn't want to enforce poo poo, they make it hard to do so....and we can't change it without the quorum), and keyboard warriors in the Facebook group bitch and moan all the time.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Leviton or Lutron for smart switches? A few are 3-ways

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. All of mine are honeywell. Any of them will support 3 way. You may consider Inovelli as well. Lots of people in the home automation thread have them and like them.

Some support additional things like setting scenes and/or using the physical switch for something different than what its wired to. Some of them will have options where you can get a ton of extra buttons for setting scenes, etc.

I'm mostly talking about zwave stuff here. Your particular "smart" ecosystem may have other considerations or features.

Pretty much just to use voice control or turn on/off lights from afar. The builder included two Leviton 1st gen decora switches, and the lights for that switch no longer turn on; neighborhood consensus is that the switches die and need to be replaced with 2nd gen or another brand.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

KS posted:

I have 30+ of the Gen 2 Decora Smart switches and I can’t recommend them. The physical switches actually crash. It’s mind blowing. I should post a video.

So you'd recommend the Lutron Caseta's over the Leviton's? I'm hesitant on the Leviton's because the gen 1's broke in most of the homes here and I'm not sure I trust them.

Then again, the look of the Caseta's is different than what I'm used to and would require switching everything out, and I'd prefer true three-way switches vs. the wall remote option

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Question about "broke": are they dimmers? What is no longer functioning? Particularly can the still be recognized by the home automation whatever but no longer work as switches?

Not dimmers, they're the gen 1 version of this: https://www.leviton.com/en/products/d215s-1bw They're still recognized by both the Leviton app and Google Home but the coach lights won't turn on anymore when using either the switch itself or via the app. Asking around the neighborhood, most people had to change the switches when this happened. I switched the bulbs twice, just to be sure. Of course, in the deep recess of my mind there's a possibility that it's a bigger issue, but for now I'm going with consensus that it's a lovely switch.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We were the first to move in, and because our lot is huge our back fence runs along the property line for three rear neighbors. All three asked if they could tie into our fence and were willing to pay; I said all good, don't worry about it. I didn't want the hassle of dealing with three separate neighbors if anything happened.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got a lot of rain on Saturday, and water started coming out from the top of the window where it meets the drywall, highlighted here. The exterior of the house is stucco.

Who I even call for this? Stucco repair? Exterior painter? Window people?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hadlock posted:

Send someone up in the attic and figure out where the water intrusion is. Looks like the top of the window is near the roof eave, so I'm not convinced it's the window or stucco

Presumably the water ingress is happening somewhere between the top of the window, and the peak of your roof. Just because it's pooling up and coming out of the window has no relation with where it's originally leaking from.

It's a bit hard to see (well, impossible really) in the photo, but there's another story above the window in question; that roofline you see is a small part of our lanai. If it was coming from up above the window itself, I'd see it in my office which is above that room. I am fairly confident it's coming from around the window frame itself.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless your siding is EIFS, in which case, it's coming through the EIFS!

I believe it's stucco, but I'm not sure how to really determine that. It's Florida, I think most houses are CBS here

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

https://imgur.com/a/xbVlcbR

gently caress me

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BigHead posted:

That happened to me. Buddy who installs windows says some Alex brand siloconized acrylic caulk fixes it.

For the inside our outside (which is stucco(?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh boy, this loving house...

On our front porch, we have a crack in the concrete, and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me for thinking there was a drop from one side to the other. Sure enough, using my level there's a change in pitch.

Who do I even call about this

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hadlock posted:

How old is the house, what region/soil do you live in, when was the last time you had foundation work done, how aggressive is your lawn watering schedule

House was built in 2019, central Florida area. Lawn is watered 2-3x a week. Never had foundation work done as the house is pretty new

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Democratic Pirate posted:

I did my first re caulking project on the bottom sill of my amazing mega window that’s the width of 3 standard windows. Used half a tube of caulk and wiped off 65% of what went on, but I managed to get it looking okay. Getting the old caulk off and everything smoothed down was a PITA, though.

I’ve also found 2 small tennis balls clogging my gutters. I think the PO’s kids were messing with the dogs.

That reminds me, I need to find someone with a tall ladder to get a ball stuck in one of our gutters...

It was me. I was messing with the dog.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Quick paint question: we got a few quotes to paint the exterior of our home, one with PPG Permanizer and one with Benjamin Moore Regal. There's a ~$700 difference. I talked to my soon-to-be brother-in-law who works for PPG and he said there's no difference in paint, they're the same level, but I've also seen that dude eat four frozen pizzas in one sitting...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Prepping for Hurricane Ian made me realize we do not have a shop vac. Too late now, but I want to put the order in. I can’t remember what the goon consensus was between Rigid and DeWalt, or Craftsmen, Stanley, etc

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Our housekeeper is the best money we’ve spent. She comes every other week, and we clean on the off weeks. She’s not a part of a service, but she does a lot of homes in our neighborhood. Dog chat: she requests our dog to be here so she can say hi. Then the dog goes in her kennel until the cleaner is done. Works perfectly for us

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pool chat: Our pump stopped working, no power at all. Call the people, they come over, fix it all up, said they had to replace the whole motor and assembly as it shorted out. Why did it short out?

"Do you really wanna know?"

Yes, yes I do.

Apparently multiple frogs and lizards had climbed in, died, and became mummified and shorted it out when it clicked on one day.

Thankfully it was covered by warranty

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got a question for Motronic and others...

Our house was built in 2019. In true Florida-new-development fashion, no gutters. We had them installed in 2020, 6" gutters and the 4"x5" downspouts. When it rains hard (which....it's Florida; it's a daily occurrence in summer), water shoots over the garage and has pretty much removed all locking sand on our paver driveway. Over the tallest part of the house, water just comes straight down from the gutter, splashing into a mulch bed and loving spreading dirt and poo poo ALL over the lanai - every single time it rains.

I had another company out to look at the problem areas, and I need a bullshit check. He said that the 6" gutters are insufficient for a tile roof, it needs to be 7". I'm not sure that makes sense, as there's only two problem areas, representing maybe 20% of the total gutter run. He also said the gutters are hung too low, which I can agree.

Initial install cost was $2500 (November 2020, the height of Covid fuckery). This guys is quoting $4600.

ETA: Water is the enemy, I want this poo poo away from the house

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

I mean, there's a calculation for that and yeah, it sounds like they gutters are under-sized. I don't know jack about tile roofs being from the great frozen north but I can surmise they shed water real drat fast like a metal roof. This is all part of the calculator, as well as the design criteria for max precipitation. Going "I bet you need them exactly one more everywhere" sounds like bullshit to me, when for the actual calculation you need dimensions, roof pitch, etc and you may need to change the size of the downspout to accommodate. And this is probably only necessary in some sections where you are having a problem.

I wouldn't accept a quote/recomendation from someone who can't show their work. This isn't rocet science and I bet you can google up a calcuator from an industry source or ag school and do the calcs yourself.

Definitely going to get a second opinion. And if I do go with 7" gutters, I only want them on the independent runs that are problem areas today. There is no reason to replace functional ones.

H110Hawk posted:

Put a rock in the bottom of your gutter downspout. Or like, 4-5 small ones. Something to make the water flow and not shoot.

Also water flooding out the stuff near your downspout is simply a thing in Florida. Replace the mulch with rocks. Like quarter sized gravel will look nicer and not blow away. Direct the water away from the bricks or use mortar where it's closest to the downspout.

I don't see why a tile roof matters, if you have water not going down your gutters because it's a different type of roof... Where is it going? Or do you mean it's sheet over your lateral gutters? At inches-per-hour levels it's not being slowed materially by asphalt, it's sheeting over it. I assume. Either way too low is something you can test - at the worst problem areas stick a sheet of something rigid to give you a bit more lip on the outside edge. Make sure you keep an eye on it - if it clogs that water is going under your roof. Something like acrylic or sheet metal.

The downpouts aren't really the problem (though they terminate too close; I'm getting extensions to rectify that). Tile roofs can be an issue because they basically create funnels for the water vs. an asphalt shingle roof that spreads it around. I only have one problem channel (the one over the garage) and I think just lifting the gutters higher would allow the gutter splash guard to cut it down. Even better would be something to diffuse the water across a few channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

In 2019 our policy cost $1400/year. For our 2024 renewal, it's $2800. And we got off lucky