Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

twistedmentat posted:

Lastly I'm glad no one died. It's actually become cliche to have someone die in these big event movies.

Well Peggy died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I was pleasantly surprised by Apocalypse, I liked it a lot better than DOFP. Singer still feels like he's still making a first generation superhero movie 15 years too late but this feels like the best one he was ever going to be able to make.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Argue posted:

Just watched it, and while it wasn't good, it was not as bad as BvS, and certainly not as bad as Fantastic Four.

The most glaring problem to me was the lack of an arc for anyone. Not a single character is changed by the end of the movie, except maybe for the one guy who's now dead, and that now they're all friends for some reason, even though barely anything led up to that. Considering the title of the movie, it's a major failing that they barely interact with each other. In fact, I feel the movie spends a disproportionate amount of time showing random soldiers fighting instead of the squad doing anything special that shows they're indispensable.

By the time the bar scene happens, it seems like we're meant to see that they're already friends, which just doesn't ring true. Deadshot and Harley, okay--at least they traded words beforehand, albeit briefly. Croc, though? He casually jokes with them like they're old pals despite having had only like... two lines up to that point? None of which were even spoken to the team. All of Boomerang's dialogue was about how lovely the task force is, so there really wasn't a compelling reason for him or Croc to go back to help after Flagg let them go--and hell, there wasn't even a compelling reason for Flagg to let them go either! Most of the intra-team dialogue was just Flagg talking at them!

And let's not even get started on Katana.

I was going to write a big review but this accords with just about all of my thoughts, to highlight some of the reasons why this is a much, much better movie then BvS while still being a bad movie.
Will Smith does very good work with what he's given. This is a "Will Smith Movie Star™" calibre performance for the first time in years. Why on earth the movie wasn't more focused on Deadshot I don't know. Margot Robbie also does very good work with a very problematic character, whose motivations and actions don't even make any sense even with the considerable leeway of her character being batshit crazy. Waller and Boomerang are reasonably faithfully adapted (give or take a dumb unicorn gag). A decent Suicide Squad movie could definitely be made that was about those four characters, please drop every other character as well as their dumb flashbacks/dream sequences.

Joker is a complete nothingburger, that and every Affleck scene make me very worried about the next Batman movie.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

It really is indefensible that this movie features at least four characters with ridiculous face tattoos, not to mention the goddamn Batman gets his life saved by an 8 year old.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

it's just a pity that Serkis really only got to be in one good Marvel movie even if it was a really good one.
It's Andy Serkis, he's got the monopoly on playing any mocapped character in any Hollywood blockbuster. Sooner or later they'll get around to slotting him into Fin Fang Foom.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That arc was about the Darkhold.

The dumbest thing in the entire Marvel Canon Universe is the lovely font they use on that prop book.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Why do people seem to think the Infinity Gauntlet is a magic wishing lamp? Thanos didn't do what you or I would do and ask for million more wishes or to feed the hungry when he puts on the Gauntlet because that's not how the Gauntlet works in the MCU. Yes it's powerful, so powerful that a single infinity gem is enough to destroy most people who try to use it, Thanos can only use the glove to do his one dumb idea because he believes in that idea fanatically .

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

site posted:

Because in every version of an infinity gauntlet story that i can think of, other than this and Hickman's avengers, it is a wishing lamp that lets you do whatever whenever

Yeah but that's not really how it's been presented in the movies, Doctor Strange and Vision were the only entities able to channel a stone's powers in a constructive fashion and even that was underlined to be a taboo in both cases, the soul gem requires a literal blood sacrifice, the others are all evildoer macguffin's that end their movies locked away for the greater good. They've all got bad hoodoo, you mix them all together and give them to space Hitler it's certainly not going to turn him into Space Jesus.

That job is taken.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

site posted:

I'm not really sure what having trials to acquire the stones has to do with it but like, from what I remember of the movies except for that second and a half at the burned out glove after he used it there was nothing up to that point that told us that the gauntlet can't do anything and everything so I'm not sure what would be the problem in assuming it could

The shot of the burnt out Gauntlet is part of the text of the film and basically the only real mechanic you learn about how the Gauntlet works: it's a one, maybe two trick pony, at least for effects the size of the snappening.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Since Wolverine is an inevitability, who would you cast for an MCU Logan?

Some short, hairy guy with a thick Canadian accent.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Honestly the smart move would be to give the character a pass for the first reboot movie, Jackman is so identified with the role now they're better off easing into recasting. Just tease the character in the stinger like they did with Joker in Batman Begins.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Tangent:

My wife is watching Scandal and can we hurry up and get Kerry Washington into the MCU?

Don't worry by 2023, an MCU role will be a precondition for SAG membership.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Lobok posted:

Going way back, teasing what was to come was done in Bond films. At the very end (credits were much shorter though) it would tell you what movie James Bond was going to return in. I imagine back in the day that would have been cool for fans of the literary Bond to find out which story they were adapting. Not that you could rely on the movies using anything from the stories other than the title, but still.

Also they got it wrong a few times and eventually just gave up.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face is the worst interpretation of any Batman character.

Would take Billy Dee Williams any day.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Is “Worlds of DC” really any more stupid-sounding than “The Marvel Cinematic Universe”

Well the concept of your continuity including different universes is dumb, at least until you do a multiverse movie.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m on board wIt’s them doing no marketing at all for Avengers 4. They could do it, too; they could not release a single trailer or tv spot, and it would still smash records

Well sure if you include the free media from the literal army of star superheroes they have to send out for the press tour, but fans expect both teasers and trailers these days and ya gotta feed the beast.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I'm going to be so annoyed if there is an early fake out where you think he loses the eye only to reveal it was just a scratch.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

:corsair: I waited two and a half hours to download the trailer for Alien Resurrection, screaming at my parents to stay off the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best Doom would be someone like Frank Langella or F. Murray Abraham but you'd need to get a time machine and fetch them from the 1980s.
Marvel has that technology.

Anyway they both still do voice work, outside of lovely movies Doom is 99% of the time in his mask, more then just about any other comic character.

I really hope Marvel ignores the precedent of a bunch of box office bombs and doesn't tie the F4's origin in with Doom.

• Locked thread