Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I think they're 40lbs actually.

Someone photoshop the Yellow M&M with ridiculous muscles, please.

Dumbbells usually list the total weight on each side. I'm guessing he's doing a ton of reps or drop sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

quote:

“The main thing we learned [on Batman v Superman] is that people don’t like to see their heroes deconstructed,” said producer Deborah Snyder. “They like seeing them in all their glory… I think what’s really great is where we’re going is kind of what the audience is wanting. We just had to take the characters from somewhere to bring them up to where they are and that was our journey.”

Yes because that was the problem with batman v superman. Fans just couldn't handle their superheroes' being "deconstructed" :rolleyes:

This movie is going to be loving terrible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guess I was just being petty and dumb for wanting my movies to not have tons of plot holes. gently caress me for wanting a coherent plot and character motivations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Batman v. Superman was actually the movie I wanted and I have posts in multiple threads backing that up.

It was, however, not a good movie, at bare minimum because the editing and pacing was absolutely atrocious and it sidelines the actual interest parts of the film in favor of a meaningless fight against a rampaging monster that avoids having to deal with any consequences. I can't particularly call it a smart film. It has creative ideas but they're so poorly executed that calling it 'smart' feels like praising it for the concepts and not what it has to say.

This is what pisses me off of some of the defenders of the film. I admit I thought the portrayalof superman and batman were terrible.But there's criticism of the movie besides it's portrayal of existing characters. Dismissing all criticism of the film as "well its not they wanted" and " I didn't get the movie" is annoying.

Aphrodite posted:

Technically it wasn't even the worst Spider-Man movie.

I'd happily watch spider man 3 before sitting through amazing spider man 2 again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Did we actually learn anything encouraging or interesting about Justice League?

well they said it's going to be lighter and more fun, but this is coming from the same director who thought that having jimmy olsen get shot in the head by a terrorist was "fun."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So given the audience reaction it seems like they were damned if they do damned if they don't situation.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He also fought against providing food at the premiere and eventually had Subway sandwiches and a cash bar at the Red Carpet event.

They could make a movie about Perlmutter as a sequel to "A Beautiful Mind" and I would watch it opening night. He's on the razor's edge between genius and insane.

I've heard there's been a lot less conflict in the marvel studios division now that Perlmutter doesn't have the decision making power he used to have. Perlmutter being such a cheapskate was why so many of the actors were threatening to leave.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Not only are those both bad, they're the same thing.

He made the designs like 10 years apart and they didn't even use the spidey so I don't see the big deal of him using a very similar design for both costumes.

Hasn't Alex also designed a ton of designs for Astro City? Because those designs rule.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope JJ2 works out because it'd be nice to have some more women superheroes with starring roles.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

yeah one of the charms of the deadpool movie was that it was sort of low key. So many superhero flicks seem to think that they have to go bigger and bigger.

I don't think deadpool as a character really needs an end of the world type of scenario.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Roth posted:

Liefeld designed Flash and Cyborg.

Neatherrealm handled everybody else.

Yeah I was just thinking that the designs reminded me a lot of the injustice designs.

Which is bad, because the injustice designs are awful.

Edit- I don't know why movies these days have armored/ mechanical characters be so goddamn busy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Veotax posted:

Star Trek Beyond is easily the best Star Trek film since The Undiscovered Country. Granted, that's not saying much. The only decent Star Trek films after that are First Contact and the reboot, but Beyond was great. Didn't do well though, I think. Having almost no marketing probably didn't help.

It also had a trailer than Pegg himself said was total poo poo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's a bit goddamn depressing that the Corman FF movie stayed truer to doom than the last three movies did.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I recognised all of batman's rogues in the batman lego movie except one. Condiment King. I thought the movie made him up.

My comic book knowledge is sub par :negative:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Considering they got the writer of the last few season of Dexter to showrun Iron fist, I am not at all surprised that the show is god awful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm probably taking the bait on this but whatever.

They made a cap movie, two iron man movies, a hulk movie, and a thor movie before the avengers. That's five compared to 3. One of those movies was for establishing a character who won't show up in the first jla movie. Comparing years and not movies made is stupid,

While they changed actors, they established nearly all of the characters, though it was off putting at first to just have norton leave.

Avengers only introduced hawkeye. DC has no characterisation for the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. If it was just one of those characters fine, but that's more than half the cast of their movie. Why should I be excited for this movie again?

As for your last point yes, the avengers thus far have been generally more likeable than Batman or Superman

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 27, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No movie needs establishing movies. You don't need The Origin Of Indiana Jones or whatever to like Indiana Jones.

I'd argue that if your trying to create a franchise you do.

Indiana Jones movie, the main character is Indiana Jones. They aren't using the movie to also make you love short round and go watch his flick.

The whole premise of superhero team up flicks is watch superheroes you like interact with one another. The movie going audience has the benefit of knowing the personality and traits of the character. Now a superhero team up movie has to establish these traits of the new character while also sharing the spotlight with a bunch of other guys.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well it was Miller's first attempt at being the primary director and his writing was already quite bad at the time, so the combination of the two things probably didn't help.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe an Invincible movie could be good if they didn't have the ridiculous gore and maybe hold back on the constant need to poo poo on mark's life.

There's some good characters and concepts in invincible that could work well for the big screen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I forgot WW was coming out in a month. The marketing hasn't been great. Granted, I have strongly disliked all three of dc's recent outings, so I haven't been following it very closely.

I'd be cool for a superhero flick staring a woman to be good and make a lot of money.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp I wasn't going to see wonder woman given I despised the last three DC live action films, but if the reviews are correct, I'll have to give it a shot.

If DC makes movies that aren't total rear end, I'll happily watch them

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked what they did in the spetacular spider man cartoon. They start with it being the spider man 3 version of the symbiote costume and it slowly changes to the regular symbiote costume.

Wouldn't work for a movie though, granted.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, like Batman Begins.

Watchmen was a huge pile of crap. It's amazing how a film that sticks so close to the source material's script managed to miss the point of every scene.

I'm still baffled by the decision to make Owlman badass in the movie.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rami's spider man movies are overrated. They're pretty good but nowhere near the masterpieces people make them out to be. They are far better than the ASM movies though.

I think they Rami movies are so highly regarded because there was an absolute truckload of lovely comic book movies from 2000-2005, so having a good movie made people think it was better than it actually was.

Edit- Simmons is the best casting in the history of comic book movies, no question.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He's hooked up with like a dozen A list women.

hasn't pretty much every a-list superhero hooked up with a ton of beautiful women?

Garfield was only superior in that his interactions with Gwen were cute. That's it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arist posted:

I was expecting most of the reviews to be lukewarm but man, the people who didn't like it really don't like it, and the people who did enjoy it only barely did.

This seems like it's MOS all over again. I was in the really don't like it camp for that one, so I'm not hopeful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm curious as to how They'll handle superman in the next movie considering it's seems to be clearly established that he's miles above most of the characters and his powers are least the same, if not better, than the other characters established strengths/speciality.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I'm baffled why they wouldn't Have shown stuff like WW giving supes trouble do to her being a better fighter. It would have also been neat to have supes be confused fighting someone like the flash whose faster than he is. It'd also show off how bad rear end the other characters are.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

IronMan - I read the books and can never remember Stark being the wise-cracking laid back figure that RDJ portrays but RDJ has been totally central to the building of Marvel's success. In a decade he has turned Iron Man from a B-lister into the equivalent of Spiderman, Superman and Batman culturally.

I was reading some of Busiek's late nineties iron man stuff and he was cracking a decent amount of jokes and was pretty laid back guy, especially as Tony (when they were still doing the secret identity thing).

I just think the marvel movies understand their characters defining characteristics and motivations better. They add some humor, but never to the detriment of the core character traits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The really enraging thing about BvS is that it takes three hours over CW's barely 2 and a half, with half the cast, and still completely fucks up adequate characterization for literally everyone. I know, on an objective level, why Lex is doing what he's doing, or why Batman or Superman are doing what they're doing, but I get no sense of their motivations or actual personalities so I'm constantly at a loss as to why they're in this film. Its so shabbily constructed that nobody has any arcs, in contrast to CW,which I just rewatched, which basically gives everyone a moment of growth. gently caress, Vision has an arc! It might be barely two scenes long, but he has one and it justifies who he is, why he's fighting (he loves Wanda) and what his ultimate motivation is (he wants other people to see Wanda as he sees her). I could not tell you why Flash is in this movie outside of the literal functional reason he is in BvS.

Have to agree with this. The fight between batman and superman in bvs felt so contrived. It always felt like there was a hundred different ways it could have gone differently and batman and superman wouldn't have fought each other. However, they managed to end up fighting each other because they both seem to be morons who are incapable of using simple reasoning or talking things out.

CW by contrast, the fight between tony and steve feels deserved and understandable. Cap tries to reason with tony. Tony's understandably super pissed off and doesn't care that Bucky was brainwashed at the time. Cap doesn't want to see his friend getting captured or killed for poo poo that wasn't really his fault. It feels like the whole movies been leading up to this is and it is the climax of the film. BVS has to thrown in doomsday in there, which that plot of in and of itself leads to an entirely different host of problems.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

And btw what a massive step up from comic incarnation.

Pretty much. I hated the civil war comic but love the movie. The movie resulted in a way more believable conflict.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know that there's the danger of one company having such a huge monopoly on a gigantic amount of ip's but if it happens, there's the real possibility of having a goddamn dr. doom movie that's faithful to the source material and I would pretty much sell my soul for that to happen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

In BVS ma kent tells clark that he doesn't own the world a thing. Which is maybe something you shouldn't tell the godlike alien and reinforces Singer's weirdly randian view of super heroes.

Superman's weird dream thing has Pa kent telling a story of how the one time he did something heroic it caused the death of the animals in the nearby farm.

gently caress the kents in the DCEU.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Eh.

Whatever you want to say about the Kents, Superman doesn't end up following their advice. At the end of the day he takes the challenge on and sacrifices himself to save everyone (multiple times, he tries to get himself nuked too.) You can argue that is what they intended all along or that Superman ended up not following their advice or whatever but I don't think it reinforces things where Superman doesn't follow it.

I know that he doesn't but then again I'm not a fan of how it's jor-el who pressures him into becoming superman.

and I think that a big part of superman is how the kents raised him right and it's because of their upbringing that he's the way he is. He should be superman because of the kents, not in spite of them.

It's a personal thing, I admit, and I could be venturing into "NOT MY SUPERMAN" territory.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

McCloud posted:

Obviously there are some who agree with your take, but I like the more grounded take on the Kents. They're obviously aware that one misstep can turn Clark into the Plutonian, or someone like Zod, so they have to make sure that he's mature enough to handle the tremendous burden.

Him coming out of the supercloset is probably earths singular most important event, and I like that the ramifications of that are suitably tremendous, unlike the avengers where Gamma radiation monsters, aliens and gods are kinda shrugged off.

The problem with this reading is that it's not supported by the actual events in the story. The kents never tell clark that he has to wait and mature before he can help people. They never encourage clark to help people. What they do do is actively encourage him not do anything. It's only upon meeting Jor-el that he decides to become superman. There's never any hint that the kents think that one day he'll be ready to superman.

The reading's further confounded by my previous point of martha kent's line to clark. It's implied that clark's been doing this for a while as supes, but she' still telling him you don't owe the world a thing and is neutral at best as to whether he should continue helping people as superman. How could that not be seen as a misstep for the alien being who could wipe out the entire planet?

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 8, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I watched Justice League last weekend, becuase it was in the cheap theaters and my girlfriend and I had nothing better to do, and a quick question: Why did Steppenwolf wait so long before coming to earth? Some character mentioned that he was coming because superman was dead. But the first battle that he lost took place thousands of years ago. What was stopping him from coming back at any time prior to superman coming to earth?

Also it was pretty hilarious how superman is clearly like way better than the entire league. No point in having the league (except for cyborg I guess,) when supes is around.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wonder if the new costume is slightly more comfortable, I remember reading that the civil war costume is absolutely brutal to wear.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The first half or so of the first avenger, before he gets the serum are great.

the "Do you want to kill nazi's" and the grenade scenes rule. It made me breath a sigh of relief that they weren't going with the ultimate cap version.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have seen more than one unironic "They gave the FAILING Last Jedi good reviews too :qq:" reaction. :v:

I love the fanboys who complain about SJW's say that Last Jedi was a failure. It made 1.3 billion for christ sake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've seen some articles that claim that the movie's some neoliberal vision of how people should help disenfranchised communities and it unfairly demonises the black liberation movement by having killmonger be the bad guy.

• Locked thread