Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait, what is gay about two muscular men in tight pants and tank-tops chopping wood for 3 minutes and then staring into each other's eyes in silence?

Avengers 2 is mediocre but I love that bit where Cap splits a log with his bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just catching up with the thread, but the idea that a Squirrel Girl movie in the MCU would be impossible seems bizarre to me if you've read even one issue of her current series

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

What precisely is wrong with Steppenwolf?

I could definitely go the rest of my life without having to hear Magic Carpet Ride again

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've really liked all of Bryan Singer's X-Men movies so yeah I'm holding out hope even though the trailers haven't been great.

I'm also watching X-Men: The Animated Series right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

Well then at least if it is underwhelming it'll feel like a breath of fresh air next to that garbage.

Actually this show is dope. The last two episodes alone have included references to Sherman's March, Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience," Apartheid, and the Twilight Zone episode Terror at 50,000 Feet.

Clearly, this show is too smart for some people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I don't think that's the problem. It's more the terrible animation, voice acting, and stories.

Don't pretend you don't read the dialogue in every Wolverine comic in the voice from the cartoon

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Man 1 is dope. Iron Man 3 isn't even as good as Iron Man 2. Low stakes are a good thing.

Both Thor movies are pretty drat bad, which is a shame because they nailed the casting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The killing joke is his weakest work by far.

I mean it's not as bad as Neonomicon but yeah it's not top tier Moore.

The better ultradark Batman graphic novel of that era is Arkham Asylum.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I quite like it. It's no Swamp Thing or Watchmen, but honestly what of that length could ever hope to be?

several individual issues of Swamp Thing are shorter than The Killing Joke, and better (almost every single one, in fact).

Arkham Asylum is great. the "pure journey into Batman's Id" story has rarely been done better.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 11, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Arkham Asylum has the ugliest art in a Batman story ever though. This is the story where Two Face can't piss without flipping his coin and Clayface has AIDS, right? I'm not confusing it with something else.

if you think Dave McKean's art is ugly I dunno what to tell you but yes that is the story

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GlenMR posted:

It's abstract in away that very few comics are, and I think there's places were "ugly" might be a fair call.

yeah that's fair, but I also think it's fair to say the hideousness with which he portrays the rogue's gallery is 100% deliberate and not some failing on his part.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

there are a lot of good ones but my favorite Batman story honestly might be The Batman of Arkham by Alan Grant & Enrique Alcetena. the compassionate Batman is one that doesn't get explored enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't mind Batman not solving it, I mind that even Loeb has never been able to explain who killed who when because he didn't give a poo poo about anything making sense.

I mean, to be fair, you could say the same thing about Raymond Chandler

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's pretty much impossible to argue that both Dark Knight Returns and Year One aren't at the very least both top 10 Batman stories, its just that people now are deeply uncomfortable endorsing anything Frank Miller did (with the exception of Daredevil I guess)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Year One is inarguable but I think a case could easily be made that TDKR isn't.

It's possible I guess, but those I've seen ignore everything about craft or storytelling in favor of "I don't like how dark/right wing it is"

Edit: I will say this, though: Give Me Liberty is pretty much just as good (if not necessarily as groundbreaking), way less right wing, and gets like no attention whatsoever.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 11, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I do not think Death Of/In the Family, Knightfall, or Batman Inc. are really any good at all. I'm actually surprised anyone would stump for Death In the Family, that comic's pretty awful.

These lists all need more Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams stories

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as hacky as Judd Winick can be, I do think Under the Red Hood is okay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Death of the Family is what got me to drop New 52 Batman. Did not like it at all. Death IN the Family I'd rate higher if the ending was an actual editorial decision rather than the result of polling.

My preferred Batman stories tend to be ones where he can't just punch his way out of the situation. I'd rate TDKR in the bottom half of the

People talk endlessly of Bucky being Cap at some point, but I've never seen anyone suggest that maybe do a Dick Greyson Batman movie. I loved that run of Batman, because while Dick is physically capable, he wasn't nearly as smart and observant as Bruce, which lead to some interesting stories.

yeah what I read of Death of the Family did not connect with me at all but The Black Mirror was really good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

really "why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" has never seemed like as much of a conundrum to me as "why doesn't the state kill the Joker?"

like, even if it only ended up that way because Heath Ledger died, Christopher Nolan explaining the Joker's absence by saying he was tried and executed in between films was kinda refreshing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I think the difference between "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker" and "Why doesn't the state kill the Joker" is that one is a question constantly asked about and to Batman metatextually, and which he always answers with "My code!" (which feels like a copout) or "Because then I don't know where to stop!" (which implies that Batman has zero self-control and plays into that really dumb "Batman and Joker are two sides of the same coin" moral relativism argument that's awful). I don't care about why the government doesn't kill the Joker because that's never brought up in the comics so it never needs justification, but by having people directly ask Bruce all the time why he doesn't kill the Joker (and every answer he provided until Death of felt cheap or disingenuous in some way), when Death of the Family finally nailed an adequate reason as to why it feels like a payoff decades in the making.

I mean, they do attempt to justify it in the comics frequently, just not in a way that makes sense (i.e. the insanity defense, which doesn't really play if someone has a super long history of calculated crimes)

basically what I'm saying is I want a one-shot about the Joker's lawyer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrProsek posted:

I always thought the reason Joker was never executed for his crimes was just that Gotham didn't have a death penalty, and the cops never kill Joker because the only time they're ever in a position to do that is when Batman is hand delivering Joker to them, and so Joker dying in police custody like that would be bad I guess.

This would make slightly more sense than the insanity defense, but not much, because of how much of what the Joker does would surely constitute federal crimes. Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty, but Dzokhar Tsarnaev still got sentenced to death. At the very least he'd be rotting in DCU Guantanamo or some CIA black site.

I know, I know, it's comic books.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

see, not wanting to become a murderer has never made Batman (or Spider-Man, or whoever) seem stupid to me; it makes him seem principled. I like that. what Batman should maybe work on though is making Arkham Asylum a little more escape-proof.

again, this is another reason I love The Batman of Arkham. it presents a Batman who follows through and doesn't stop with just handing the bad guys over to the cops.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like that comes up a lot, yeah. Even just on the practical level of if he starts killing people, there goes all his law enforcement support.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Killing the Joker is Magog's role.

Actually, a Kingdom Come themed film would be pretty good, though the whole aspect of it being the optimism of the Golden/Silver Age eras vs the grimdark violent and edgy 90s would be lost.

Considering how dark and lovely DC's movies have gotten, it could work

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean Maria Hill was shown to be demonstrably wrong about poo poo in Bendis' comics on more than one occasion. Just because he puts words in a character's mouth doesn't mean he believes them. I highly doubt Bendis of all people thinks Peter Parker should be an unrepentant murderer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think it makes perfect sense coming from one of the most hardline authoritarians the MCU had going at the time. I mean for years of that run basically all of the Avengers were like "man, gently caress Maria Hill."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I would say that at that point Norman Osborn was more well known as a murderous super villain than a CEO

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I'm so sick of that take on the character.

Same, for real. That's why God gave us Moon Knight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Circutron posted:

Well, I mean, that statement only really works if you assume Batprick is really the Platonic Ideal of Batman (aka "Batonic Ideal"). Which doesn't really fit either, considering the pendulum occasionally swings back to the more Silver Age-y Batusi Bats that showed up in Brave and the Bold and has his own comic series right now in the form of Batman '66.

I think Batman can be dark and intense and still be compassionate and idealistic, and those are the portrayals I tend to like best. The Animated Series, The Batman of Arkham, Batman/Planetary: Night on Earth, much of Morrison's run, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Part of the mythos is paranoia - "Do you know what your children are?" There's the motifs of history and evolution, with mutants threatening to replace baseline humanity. Tying it all down to a singular Event would really simplify the conflict.

I get what you're saying, but even at the beginning, the sudden increase in mutants was said to be hastened by the atomic age.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Ordway's The Power of Shazam is great too, and I hear wonderful things about the Golden Age stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The weirdest thing I'm seeing in these reviews is that the Joker is barely in the film.

Thank god

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

I mean, it seemed fairly obvious he was going to be almost entirely relegated to flashbacks based on the trailers, though I don't know if he appears outside of them. But yeah, even if he did a great Joker all I'd be able to think about is what a loving rear end in a top hat Jared Leto is, and it seems like a lot of my fears about this Joker were pretty justified anyway.

Knowing he's not in it much makes me much more likely to see it, really the only thing about the movie that looks actively off-putting is the Harley/Joker stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Virtually every review I've read characterizes Suicide Squad as DC aping Guardians and utterly failing.

Also, holy poo poo:

From that it sounds like they're going for Poison Ivy from Batman & Robin, which is a bold choice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apparently there's also a scene where the Joker tries to pimp Harley Quinn out to Common, which... yeesh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

aaannnnddd the DC fan meltdown has already begun

https://twitter.com/johnd0p3/status/760596902106787840

wow a whole two examples huh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, another one:

"Worse than Green Lantern, worse than Fantastic Four."

Surely not. SURELY. I refuse to believe it could really be that bad.

I mean I doubt it's even worse than Batman v Superman

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean, if they try to undermine a guy like David Ayer who was a very respected filmmaker before he ever got involved with DC and then turned into one of their biggest cheerleaders then I really don't put anything past them with regards to future movies.

Was David Ayer really all that well respected? Unless we're counting Training Day, the response to pretty much all of his films has been middling to outright hostile.

Edit: I guess End of Watch got pretty good reviews actually

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 4, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

This all comes down to the same argument everything in BSS does: I want the one from my childhood.

my problem with Zack Snyder's Superman is actually that it is the Superman from my childhood, because the Superman from my childhood is the one from The Death of Superman, and those comics sucked balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I liked John Henry Irons. Normal folks getting inspired to get out there and help is my kryptonite, which is also why I'm a sucker for "hero without their powers/gives up the cowl" stories like Spiderman 2 or Captain America.

Yeah it's possible that stuff was good, I haven't read much of it. I recently reread the Death of Superman and tried to get through World Without a Superman but those were woeful drat comics. I didn't make it to the part where they introduced the surrogate Supermen. I definitely like the idea of Steel as a character.

• Locked thread