Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mycot posted:

You forgot putting Chris Evans in extremely tight shirts.

The moment in Civil War where Cap's holding the helicopter, then flips his grip, showing off his bicep?

My wife on my right and female friend on my left both went "WOW".

edit: Civil war is good. It's a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

This is an aggressively stupid reason to not see the movie.

Spider-man's role in Civil War is unrelated to the comic version.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aphrodite posted:

permanent brain damage
^^Removed spoiler content^^

You're just going to have to accept that in Superhero World, people can easily be knocked unconscious without it causing permanent long term effects. It's a conceit that's necessary to make LOTS OF VIOLENCE + NO KILL POLICY work.

It's safe to assume that a person knocked unconscious in a superhero film is fine, yes I know that's not how it works in the real world.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BrianWilly posted:

That sounds pretty cool, honestly.

...Wait, if he already got the motherboxes back in the Communion scene then why is he still looking for them in Justice League?

Also, deleted scenes technically didn't happen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

X-O posted:

That's what she is in the comics. We don't know if she even exists in the movies though. I mean of course it makes sense, but maybe they have a story that doesn't involve her in any way.

They've seemed at least fairly reluctant to drop entire characters from existing at all, haven't they? They certainly rework a lot of them, but they seem to keep most characters whose name I'd know with my C-student level of comic knowledge.

Also, Civil War and Avengers 1 both have really noticeable "missing girlfriends". That's kinda always gonna be a problem for expensive supporting actors in a film whose budget is already inflated by a huge ensemble.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of big threats you still haven't seen Braniac, Eclipse, Trigon, Amazo, they could dig up dumbasses like ~IMPERIEX-PRIME~ and of course there's the Injustice League

It's completely insane that we still haven't had a film Brainiac, but we've had Luthor 4 separate times.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

Like...the fact that Wonder Woman ends up an also-ran introduction in BvS infuriates me, she's DC's most important female superhero, not some name on a call sheet who doesn't even get title credit in her first movie.
Counterpoint: The general public doesn't care about Wonder Woman as a character at all, she's basically pure iconography, I'd bet less than 10% of Americans could tell you her real name.

She also NEEDED this (although it would have helped if the movie was good), the difference in ticket sales after her pretty cool introduction is going to be large.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

Let's rewind time to 2008, and list the ten most famous superhero characters at that time, that have a strong enough name to sell movie tickets due to the inherent appeal. Wonder Woman would easily be in the top five, arguably in the top three (depending on how Spider-Man and Wolverine place). Iron Man, I would argue, would not make that list.

In no way would she have been top 3. I agree that Iron Man wouldn't have been there, but:
Superman
Batman
Spider-Man (l literally saw a VH1 countdown show that had him at the #1 spot in like 2006. Wish I could remember the rest)
Wolverine
Hulk
Would all easily beat her, and in 2008 the Fantastic Four were pretty strong in people's memories. And again, I can barely tell you anything about Wonder Woman THE CHARACTER, even though I've read dozens of her comics. Her position in the public consciousness is basically "the one that is a girl." Showing her going toe-to-toe with Doomsday is about a good a signal to the public "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PERSON" as you're going to get.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MacheteZombie posted:

It's certainly not the intent, but the depiction does come off weird. He manipulates an underage kid with spider powers to fight for him in a cause the kid knows nothing about.

e: Or maybe it is intended, because Tony's manipulation isn't subtle.

It's also weird as hell that Tony recruited him instead of, y'know, Jessica Jones.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
It is weird and awkward that Tony's plan was "RECRUIT EXACTLY ONE MORE GUY FOR MY SIDE". Made no real effort to find Thor or Hulk, or anyone at all who has appeared on Agents of SHIELD.

Also, am I crazy, or was Nick Fury's absence really noticeable?

SonicRulez posted:

You cannot possibly believe that "I was hypnotized for years to do horrible things" wouldn't immediately sympathize with "I was hypnotized for years to do horrible Russian things" and tell Tony to gently caress off.
I... didn't think of that, and it's a pretty good point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, I can answer this! 1) I guarantee you a gazillion billion bajillion dollars that Thor and Hulk will be in or around Asgard when the CW poo poo goes down. 2) Nobody in the audience gives even the slightest poo poo about anyone in Agents of SHIELD, nor should they.

Well sure, I understand the real world reasons for it, but it's a bit silly in the internal logic.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I love most of those actors, though.

Isn't the main problem with Fantastic Four Reboot that the director had a complete meltdown?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

I am really trying to think of any major black male superheroes that haven't been adapted yet, and I can only think of Blue Marvel and Goliath. Michael B Jordan as Blue Marvel would be kind of awesome.

Lol wasn't that Goliath called Black Goliath for a while

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey. Gambit one of a kind and you be crazy not to look forward to he movie, frère.

If you don't like a Gambit movie -

It not Gambit, it you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

They couldn't, actually. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were co-owned by FOX and Marvel, and FOX was ready to sue Marvel for the rights until they worked out a deal where Marvel keeps SW and FOX keeps Quicksilver. That's why Quicksilver's an only child in the X-Men movies and why Quicksilver gets killed off in AoU, because the deal made it so he could only be in one movie where he had to die at the end of it.

That would explain why he dies in AoU despite them having established a "not dying machine", but this is the first I've heard anyone mention this being a thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mycot posted:

It was the Disney Infinity postmortem thread that pointed out that they made a figure for Yondu before ever making Scarlet Witch.

Didn't Guardians come out before Ultron?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're hilarious. But, despite what Snyder says, no one actually dies in TDKR. There's lots of lamp-shading and tounge in cheek "THEY'RE OKAY!" and "rubber bullets, honest", but nobody is actually killed. Everyone who appears in that page that gets posted out of context actually survived. This is observable in the story itself.

Oh, don't be a baby. The one guy in the "I believe you" scene doesn't die, but those panels have been legendarily poor at communicating their intent since the comic came out. You could read it three or four times and think Batman killed the guy every time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yes, and that's because the creators of TDKR aren't as good of storytellers as most people would like you to believe.

But I think a guy who's making a movie about Batman should have a better understanding of the text this work, if he's gonna choose to try and homage it so directly.

What are you specifically saying Snyder should have done differently RE: His reading of TDKR?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TFRazorsaw posted:

Not said that's what happens and made like it's constantly happening throughout the book.

This isn't "death of the author" in action. There's no ambiguity invited by the creators, where they ask you "well, what do YOU think happened to them?". The ambiguity exists because the storytelling is poorly conveyed.

I would think the job of a movie director would and should invite more research and awareness of the source material than he shows. Even saying he wanted his portrayal to have more honesty and sincerity while still homaging TDKR would have shown he gets the source material more than he does.
So he should read the exact right nerd blogs then, got it.

It is still beyond reasonable to look at those panels and think exactly what Zach Snyder thought, with no reason to research further. Unless you think he should have Googled "WHAT DO PEOPLE GET WRONG ABOUT DARK KNIGHT RETURNS"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TFRazorsaw posted:

No reason to research further? He's the director and creative head of a huge film. Research is literally one of the things he SHOULD be doing. The book is several decades old by now. It's been analyzed to hell and back by more than just nerds with blogs. This is by no means OBSCURE.

What, EXACTLY, are you asking him to do for research? He's making a movie based(sorta) on a comic book that he likes, why in the hell would he expect to need to read anything outside of the comic book he likes?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Going back to Civil War, I have to say one thing to appreciate about the comic vs the movie is that it sticks with its central conflict (State vs Individuals) all the way throug. The movie on the other hand obfuscates that with "personal" conflicts and then changes the conflict for the ending! The political conflict becomes almost incomprehensible.

But there's still no reason to just read I Don't Need Your Civil War instead.

It definitely shifts, which is why I'm 100% Team Iron Man at the start (because COME ON, why are they not supervised by somebody) and Team Cap through most of the rest of the movie - there's two separate issues.

I don't think it's incomprehensible, though. The politics don't really change at any point, they just become secondary to the plot.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CapnAndy posted:

Hank McCoy made this. You can just tell.

And that's Stan Lee's voice at the end, isn't it?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

This is, uh, pretty solid casual racism.

It's very possible that the Chinese audience also didn't find the movie very compelling, seeing as they are people who are capable of having opinions about things?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Wonder Woman is going to do well, BvS was a flaming meteor of anti-hype and one of those movies that despite making money is still going to go down as a flop. It has primed the public against the DCCU on two fronts people think it's either going to be more of the same which means they are going to skip it or that BvS flopping and the shift in executives will trigger a reboot and the movie won't matter so they'll skip it. Normally all this studio stuff flies under the general audience's radar but BvS flopping has made it actual news, news that'll pop back up when Wonder Woman gets close to release.
If it's good they'll see it. Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had anyone see it if it had been terrible, but strong buzz made it do well.

And the negative news about BvS really, really overstated its case. The movie wasn't what the studio hoped, but I've seen worse movies.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Where did you even get your degree?
China University

edit: If Suicide Squad sucks I think that will actually make people start to notice "DCCU BAD", but I think they'd need a run of 4 bad ones or so to tank the entire effort.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Children movies are basically critic proof.
That's because the marketing pitch for children's movies isn't "this is good" it's "your children will not bother you for 90 minutes"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

Suicide Squad would make three in a row, which would also be 100% of the films in the shared universe.

There was such a long gap between Man of Steel and BvS that I don't think people will really count it.

And though a lot of people hate it, it's reputation wasn't "A BAD MOVIE EVERYONE HATES" like BvS has.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't even think BvS has that reputation among average viewers.

It's negative reception was really, really well publicized, but it is definitely difficult to tell how things are viewed outside the nerd bubble.

My favorite example of this is that we all KNOW that everyone agrees that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a complete garbage movie that everyone hated, right? 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, average score 6.9

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

It absolutely does. It's hated as a piece of poo poo amongst literally everyone besides diehard DC fans, because everyone else considers it a dark depressing ugly boring mess. I mean, to be fair, it's a dark depressing ugly boring mess, but guess what - the average, non-hardcore comic book fan goes to a superhero movie to watch good guys win and bad guys get punched, not whatever the gently caress BvS ended up being.

I actually kinda liked it, but it did a lot of stuff very poorly, and I would like control to be taken from Snyder.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MacheteZombie posted:

The script and editing are the biggest issues with the movie, both things not entirely in Snyder's control.

It's true that a movie this big has a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I'm skeptical he's really helping outside of some good images. A lot of stuff like the overlong name and the forced Justice League stuff do feel like more of a corporate problem.

The single biggest issue the movie has is still that if you've seen the trailers, you've seen the movie. Doomsday would have been much better received if he had been, y'know, a surprise. And I suspect that decision came from on high.

Which isn't to say Doomsday was great, but they did themselves no favors.

quote:

The double-edged sword of DC is that their legacy is so steadfast and their big two are so iconic that it offends people, like makes them angry, when they're portrayed "wrong". People are really invested in Superman and Batman, and a movie like BvS that reduces Superman to a whiny loser and Batman to TDKR version of him gets people angry, because that's not anything like the Superman they "know".
Meet some non-nerds, please.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The establishment wants to supervise and control the Avengers, them the Avengers start fighting over Bucky, and then they fight over Bucky for different reasons, manipulated by Zemo.
In no way is that a bad thing, and thinking that it is is very stupid.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

And he did know they were murdered by Hydra, which he declined to tell Tony.

I always figured that that's part of why Tony went berserk. Steve's always been THE stand-up guy and paragon of morality, and Tony grew up with his father constantly talking about how great and wonderful Steve is. Steve admitted that not only did he know Tony's parents were killed by Hydra and didn't tell him but that he's defending the murderer of Tony's parents. The ensuing battle is the sound of a very lofty pedestal falling to the ground.

The movie also established the death of his parents as really central to his life. It basically frames his greatest regret as not appreciating his parents before they were gone, and here's the source of his greatest shame right in front of his face.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

X1 is nostalgia, X2 actually rules

I thought X-men 1 was incredibly boring even when it came out. It's just a snoozefest.

X2 is good tho. Also Spider-man 2 is good and it was the best Superhero movie ever when it came out.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Good. Like, I get that a lot of what annoyed me about Storm isn't the character, per se, as it was the "Halle Berry is a big thing right now, so let's make her role bigger and bigger even if it doesn't work and she's actually pretty terrible", but it's still left me kind of wary about anything Storm-related.
Yyyyup. Storm was way too center stage in the original 3 because of who the actor was. Kinda like Mystique now, but at least they're handling it better overall.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Storm was barely in the original trilogy? How small did you want it to be.

Hi, I'm reading comprehension. We haven't met.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

Storm SHOULD have been a much bigger deal than she was, as she is the Best X-Man, but they should have gotten a better actress in the process.

X3 is the only one where it feels like she's getting up in the camera more often, and that's because after Cyclops dies Storm is the obvious new leader of the team.

You're forgetting about her being critical to defeating Jason in X2 for some dumb reason. It's weirdly engineered to give her a reason to be important. It's bad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't making her centerstage, it's giving her something to do, which the original trilogy struggled with.

Just have her be Ant-man in Civil War. She's there for fight scenes, that's good enough.

She needed to be Critical To The Plot, which is dumb.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

I mean she took out Toad in the first movie, is that "important to the plot" too or just being there for the fights? It was important to the plot that somebody take Toad out, after all.

No, that's stupid. She was used reasonably in the first movie, because it was ensemble VS ensemble.

But having her take out the telepath by making it very cold was dumb and it's really clearly shoehorned and it's because she's Halle Berry.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

am i crazy or does it look like the regular edition just took out all the minorities lol

there were at least 3 dark-skinned characters in that video that I don't remember from the actual film.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
your definition of low stakes is...interesting

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe showing a scene where he does that woulda been good.

There are multiple scenes where he is present during a pym particle experiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

Hmm. Well, uh, okay I guess.

Oh man I just realized how hosed DC is because they'll probably end up editing out the naked pictures sequence even though it's a fairly important plot point of the comic and white manchildren are going to blow a mother loving gasket over the "censorship" oh man.

maybe you should spend your time thinking about literally anything else

• Locked thread