Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
an 'actual' superhero with 'actual' superpowers,

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Travis343 posted:

If you make a Superman movie and it gets rated R you should be arrested

That seems excessive and insane to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Osama Bin Laden actually wasn't in Iron Man 3. They couldn't get a hold of his agent, as I recall.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Also, does the Flash actually appear in costume in this film, zipping about?

Yes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I have not seen the movie but wanted to know if the Suicide Squad could be compared to the Daredevil film.

I think Suicide Squad is about a billion times more interesting visually.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

If you bring in the Mandarin - terrorist leader and Chinese nationalist - Who are you offending?

Now, since the movies already did this, why is nobody actually offended? Why are people only trying to be offended by saying the movies better not do this thing they already did?

I'm not even talking about the short. These things were established in the movies themselves, so if you saw the Iron Man movies, you knew that there was a terrorist group called the Ten Rings, and you knew there was mysterious person called the Mandarin that may be leading them. With that there, you don't have people going "Oh man that's so racist that they did those things in those movies!" And if you are going to argue that it's not overt enough, what about having Middle Eastern/Asian terrorists in the movies to begin with? Why is that not offensive?

People get really fixated on the name. Why? We already used the name out loud in Iron Man 3 and it was totally OK, but to actually attribute it to a Chinese dude would be bad... why? Was it bad to have T'Challa be called Black Panther because that sounds offensive? Neither of those things are actually offensive but they kinda sound racist because of the skin colors of the people involved and where they are from so I dunno maybe?

I'm a pretty progressive dude and I'm all for not offending people and not doing dumb racist poo poo, but I absolutely do not fathom how there is any reasonable justification for this argument beyond "It just seems bad and I don't like it!" and that's a really weak argument, especially since all the things you think would be bad have already been established and nobody is freaking out.

Jamesman

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

ASM 2 was universes worse than Age of Ultron.

Nope.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Age of Ultron is crushingly, fundamentally boring at every turn, on top of being poorly made. Amazing Spider Man is bad, but it at least has some interesting visuals and auditory choices.

I'd rather not watch either of them at this point, but if you put a gun to my head, I know which one I'd pick.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Roth posted:

My only really major gripe with Age of Ultron is how it just can't let a scene go on without a joke or somebody pointing out how ridiculous the situation is.

Woahkay, hue, hue, it's DEFINITELY the end times!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Arist posted:

it actually has legitimate scenes

I don't know what that means.

Also, with Mads Mikkelsen and Chiwetel Ejiofor, all Dr. Strange has to do to be good is not waste it's villains, so, yeah...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, they're all cast brilliantly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ufarn posted:

[Extremely Joss Whedon voice] an extended 20 minute Thor dream sequence would have fixed it, but the studio

lmao

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Doctor Strange Baron Mordo after-credits scene is hilarious, because throughout the film he's portrayed as arguably the most reasonable and level-headed person around whose complaints and objections are all based in fairly sound thinking, and then he just inexplicably becomes a ravenous, insanely evil lunatic, lashing out at anyone and everything.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

He's a rigid-minded fanatic that's just found out that the master he spent decades following was by his standards a hypocrite. I thought it was pretty believable that his reaction was to go off the rails and decide "You know what? gently caress wizards."

That's not how he's portrayed, though. He's very clearly upset by the hypocrisy of the Ancient One, but he's generally quite level-headed about it up until the post-credits scene. Even his finale in the film proper is him just sadly noting that someone who he respects and genuinely seems to like has gone down what he sees as the same, misguided path. He's sad when he walks away from Strange and Wong, because he feels betrayed again, but there's no indication at all that he's A) mentally snapped, or B) see's the problem as an issue with all magic users.

The credits are just a 'scene missing' reel' before he comes back and is a completely different character.
There's an entire, far more interesting, arc that they just skip over for sequel-bait. The ridiculous thing is that his 'rigid-mindedness' is portrayed as something completely stable up until that point, Strange and the Ancient One are the crazy ones, as depicted in the film. There's no need to have him just switch to full-blown crazy without any intervening time with him to see why that comes about.

If the movie had spent more time with either A) his dark past or B) what happened in between him leaving Strange and Wong and the after-credits moment there's a good chance it might have made more sense, or felt more earned, but it doesn't do either.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 31, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

This sounds almost like Sinestro in the GL movie

It's not quite as bad as that, but it's the same kind of problem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I expect it to play it safe, because they are introducing "yes, real MAGIC" and all the baggage that comes with that, and having anything else may scare and confuse the general movie going public.

The general movie going public love movies about magic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Holy poo poo, they're She's All Thating MJ.

They're going to Love Don't Cost A Thing her?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ang Lee's Hulk is good as hell.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Megan Fox would probably make a perfectly fine Poison Ivy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

He is also in the latest one, which is an incredible piece of cinema, I tell you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's not particularly difficult to ice skate uphill.

It is if you're always trying to do it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Those DC guys should hire you guys to make their movies funnier.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zack Snyder brutally killed me in 1995.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Have you been reading my dream diary

I mean, yeah, dude, you and me, we're the same person. We're the dude. That Zack Snyder killed.

In 1995.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's no point in doing a 'pretty decent' remake of the Fifth Element in any fashion, because The Fifth Element will be better.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm really impressed that you managed to remember even the most basic facts about Ronan's motivation.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

Have we heard of Marvel films being 'kind of a mess' during production, or is this a DC thing?

Yep. Thor 2, in particular. Some of the stuff that later came to light about Iron Man 2 was talked about a little before it was released. Generally, the Marvel explanations of how bad things were behind the scenes come out after the movie is released, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Logan was fantastic. After 17 years of near-bloodless Wolverine kills, those first five minutes were quite a shock. I love how they fully committed to that R rating.

What a perfect sendoff for Xavier and Logan both. Based on the trailers, you kind of knew Xavier was going to die, but I'm glad they made the decision to end Logan's story here too. Jackman did an amazing job as the old broken gunslinger coming out of retirement. Having first-hand experience watching Alzheimer's destroy someone, Xavier's first couple scenes just crushed me. Does anyone know what his last words were? I couldn't hear them in my theater.

Shane's been on my list of movies to watch for a while, but now it's taking a priority.

He's talking about the sunspear (?), the boat they were going to buy and sail away in, that's his last line.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Laura won't have to die of adamantium cancer, because she's not heading for a life of war and injury that will wear out her healing factor.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

MoS was very much stand-alone. There where a few hints of a wider world, such as the Wayne satellite and LexCorp trucks, but they where ultimately just background dressing. Every scene supported the story currently being told. On the other hand, BvS took time away from getting into the plot vital third act to show three, awkwardly bunched scenes virtually identical to a stinger except not tucked away in the easily ignorable after credits space. Before that, we had a dream sequence to further explore Batman's motivations that suddenly gets invaded by parademons and the Flash in weird armor. Comic fans are now wondering why and how future Flash is entering Bruce's dreams. General audiences are sitting there scratching their heads. I'm all for laying groundwork for future films, but not if it gets in the way of the current movie.

I like how that guy said 'thematic' and you just decided to ignore him completely, haha.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MH Knights posted:

Got back from Logan and really liked it. Had to groan when it was revealed that the black kid had lightning/electric powers.

I thought his skateboarding sequence was quite tastefully done, to be honest.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think he's quite nice, Phylodox. I'm not tired of him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You're all god's children.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

X-O posted:

He fades away into a tornado while Clark looks on yards away. Pa Kent dying is nothing new to the story of Superman. Having him run to the car after a dog while Clark is right there is just stupid.

It's good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

X-O posted:

I think he might have learned that lesson already during the destruction of downtown Smallville. Guess this Superman is just a bit slow on the uptake.

He was a little distracted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

My dad's favorite superhero film is Mrs. Doubtfire.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

The JL trailer is out and

How much loving slo mo does one movie NEED?

I haven't seen the movie, TFRazorsaw, so I'm afraid I can't tell you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

For some reason I always pictured him as a stoic Christopher Nolan type, the fact that he's a fratty doofus makes literally every execrable thing about him even worse

He seems quite lovely to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if that's coincidence or they wanted to avoid locking Wonder Man in in any way.

It's coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Guardians 2 is okay. A bit tedious in the middle.

• Locked thread