Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Travis343 posted:

It is Mother's Day but who knows how many people are taking their moms to see Captain America.

Heathen posted:

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

Legit no joke my mom wants to go see Civil War for Mother's Day and my gf wanted to go see Deadpool on Valentine's. I don't even like going to the movies on opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Heathen posted:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/kevin-feige-marvel-studios-captain-america-civil-war-iron-man-doctor-strange-black-panther-1201750467/

Two things.

First, the earliest they would do a Black Widow solo movie would be Phase Four in 2020.

Second, he mentions nine movies through 2019, ten counting Civil War.

2016:
1) Captain America: Civil War
2) Doctor Strange

2017:
3) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
4) Thor: Ragnarok

2018:
5) Black Panther
6) Avengers: Infinity War Part I
7) Ant-Man and the Wasp

2019:
8) Captain Marvel
9) Avengers: Infinity War Part II
10) The Inhumans

This means they are still doing an Inhumans movie and neither the Agents of SHIELD storyline nor Indiana Jones 5 getting the date have stopped them.

I think Inhumans is still canceled but Spider-Man counts now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

X-O posted:

Scarlett Johansson has made the character very popular and has proven that she's a big enough star to sell even a bad movie like Lucy. It's a no brainer really and it probably should have been done after Winter Soldier.

Now is the perfect time in Universe for a Black Widow solo movie with her on the outs with Tony and unlikely to be trusted fully by Cap as well. Such a good setup that will amount to nothing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I'd rather an actual female superhero with actual super-powers over a lady who's really good at doing that leglock around the neck sweep thing that Black Widow always does.

I'd love to see Black Widow take down a super villain out of her weight class in a straight up fight with cunning, planning, and spycraft. I love those comic storylines. Like BvS but not as... epic? Maybe the wrong word. Maybe a structure similar to the Thomas Jane Punisher movie.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I am really trying to think of any major black male superheroes that haven't been adapted yet, and I can only think of Blue Marvel and Goliath. Michael B Jordan as Blue Marvel would be kind of awesome.

Patriot or Doctor Voodoo but those would be characters in different franchises.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cocks Cable posted:

But Rogue does supposedly have drawbacks to her powers though. She's suppose to absorb memories and personalities along side the powers which can produce dangerous unintended side effects and makes them ill-suited for casual use. Absorbing the bad guy's powers is a huge risk if his persona has a chance to override your own. And potentially loving up your head makes it a weapon of last resort. The movies only lightly touched on this idea in the first one and then never mentioned it again. The troublesome complexities and lingering trauma of Rogue's powers were never properly explored.

Just remembered that fight in an X-book in an AvX tie-in. In a fight between Rogue vs. She-Hulk, Falcon, Moon Knight, and an Iron Man suit. Rogue only has true difficulty with... Moon Knight because he drives her insane. Rogue is strong when she lets loose but yeah, side effects.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

No, that's stupid. She was used reasonably in the first movie, because it was ensemble VS ensemble.

But having her take out the telepath by making it very cold was dumb and it's really clearly shoehorned and it's because she's Halle Berry.

Are you like, not familiar with Storm's status as one of the quintessential X-men?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Does Netflix count as a movie since it's episodic? The Luke Cage thing looks like it's going to be too serious and try-hard with its Inner City Blues horseshit. Framing Hell's Kitchen as some awful shithole is one thing because it's so far removed from reality, but making it seem as though Harlem is the crime-ridden black neighborhood seems behind the times. There is no one black neighborhood in New York, and Harlem certainly isn't the worst of them. It all just seems like very hackneyed "Dangerous Minds" type of drama.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574760

Are you not aware that Hell's Kitchen is also a real neighborhood in New York? And that ninjas and yakuza are not in fact invading hospitals in that neighborhood?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

Hell's kitchen is now known as Clinton and is gentrified af and not a hellhole tho right?

E: well that kind of hellhole anyways

Marvel New York is still in the crime wave era because nobody has figured out lead based paint is harmful yet or something.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm saying that making Hell's Kitchen some kind of grungy hellhole is so far from the truth nowadays it's laughable, but saying that Harlem is some den of crime is tone-deaf and behind the times. Stay out of Harlem is advice my rural parents would give me based off of their knowledge of New York from outdated pop culture.

Set it in Bed-Stuy or Brownsville/East New York if you want to deal with urban racial themes. Harlem is increasingly gentrified and not really that dangerous anymore. Yes I know it's a made-up show, but it just seems silly for them to try to make it seem like Harlem is the place where people are living on the mean streets. That one line where the woman goes "YOU MAY BE BULLETPROOF BUT HARLEM AIN'T" is just egregiously hack-y trope poo poo. It makes you half expect someone to demand someone else's badge because they're a loose cannon in the next scene.

We'll see I guess. I love blaxploitation, and the character grew out of that genre, but I just don't think they have the finesse to deal with themes like this in the super-serious way they've been trying with other things (and look to be trying with this).

Ah I see now. I misunderstood you at first.

Still, Luke Cage in a hoodie riddled with bullet holes was such a striking image that I'm gonna watch day one.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They didn't say that Joker was going to be in Justice League, but DC said they had plans to use him "in future films" and people assumed it would be Batman solo and/or Justice League.

There was some always questionable 4chan or something leak of the Justice League plot which describes a comic (as in funny) scene in which the Joker and Harley knock over a bank to bait out Batman but the entire Justice League shows up.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2016

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

The next Deadpool movie should be about a lovely little side-quest he does while the Apocalypse movie happens in the far distance.

Deadpool 2 should basically be a version of The Zeppo where the XMen and/or Cable are fighting some world ending threat and dismissing Deadpool who unwittingly and unknowingly somehow saves all their asses and he never reveals it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
With the time stone we can get some truly hosed up Marvel Time sliding. "You see, Iron Man revealing himself was and always will be 5 years ago."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Kinda hoping Dinklage is a recast Pepper Potts and just says "Well, it's me, and I'm here, so get over it and move on."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

I assumed Rhyno meant it as a good thing :shrug:

Lmao yeah women really appreciate it when I compliment them by saying they look like a drag queen.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Like, what's Thor gonna do? Let the motherfucker burn? That's not a tough thing for Thor to do.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

My concern about the MCU is that at a certain point it's just going to be Too Much and it'll collapse under its own weight and get too convoluted. That, or start casting to many stars and we wind up in Batman Forever territory. I don't mind the shared universe but at the rate we're going we're going to be in a Secret Wars saga before too long. DC seemed to jump head first directly into that territory and it's one of the things that's hurting their films. I wish Green Lantern hadn't bombed because I'd really like to see him Justice League and love the character(s).

The Marvel movie villains this year are played by Kurt Russel, Michael Keaton, and Cate Blanchett, Batman Forever and B&R's issues weren't with casting stars as villains.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

This poo poo is fuckin wild

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...what?

In the Flashpoint timeline where Flash fucks up the world, instead of Bruce Wayne's parents being shot, Bruce himself dies. Leading Martha Wayne to have a psychotic break and become the timeline's Joker and Thomas Wayne to have a different kind of psychotic break and become the timeline's Batman.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hawkeye tried golf and got 18 hole-in-ones, that's more impressive than anything Cap's done imo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

X-O posted:

James Cameron apparently was not that impressed with Wonder Woman.

I mean, saying Wonder Woman is a step backwards is what's a bit misguided I think.

Wonder Woman is absolutely a step backwards in terms of the best James Cameron action movie heroines.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shageletic posted:

James Cameron heroines are very much a type, muscle bound gun gripping badasses that are almost uniformly shallowly characterized.

Just because they might not be as pretty as Gal Gadot, doesn't make them more deep or substantial or less hackney. Cameron is not the director who should feel superior about being nuanced when it comes to women.

Diana's character in Wonder Woman is that of a naive child who happens to be indestructible. Don't get me wrong, I love my large adult daughter, but I will take Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor as hackneyed archetype protagonists any day.

Lobok posted:

Wonder Woman definitely suffers for not having Michael Biehn juggling Gal Gadot's bare breasts for the camera.

Hey man, don't make light of the scene where Kyle Reese loses his virginity.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Cameron didn't create Ripley.

I know, she was a better character in Aliens however.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ekeog posted:

magik's one of the premiere characters that isn't (always) in the core x-men team and if anything that connection with colossus that they can use down the line is even more reason to bring her into the cinematic universe.

Fox's X-Men franchises are scattered all over the place in time and the X-Men's prominence and it's pretty cool. If you had to order the various X-Men properties in time it'd be: Current X-Men movies in the 90s while gaining prominence, Deadpool/Old X-Men movies in the present day with the X-Men at their height, The Gifted in the near future with the X-Men heavy hitters underground, Logan in the future with the X-Men all loving dead. And then Legion is just hanging around being impossible to place in time due to its retro futuristic style. I don't even think they're going to try for a greater X-Men cinematic universe.

I'm kind of digging just taking each thing on its own without needing to place it in a larger continuity beyond just "sometimes the X-Men are currently a big deal, sometimes they're hiding or dead, and sometimes they're myths and legends."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mulva posted:

Needless to say "Erik Killmonger" isn't a traditional Wakandian name. Basically when Klaw comes in he forces Killmonger's dad to help him, the dad gets killed when poo poo goes down, and the entire family is forced out. Killmonger trains himself, changes his name, studies at MIT [Who in the Marvel universe probably don't blink twice at a student named "Killmonger"], and goes back to Wakanda with the intent of returning it to it's roots. As you do.

Tony Stark accidentally funds a Wakandian coup by funding all the projects of MIT students in Civil War. Still can't do anything right.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arist posted:

Vision is turbo-hosed. Not only is he easily the most powerful hero, he's got the Mind Stone in his loving head. He's going to die and everyone knows it.

Vision getting reverse fridged to power-up Wanda to beat Thanos is about the most predictable thing ever and I hope they don't do it.

edit: especially because they kind of did it with Quicksilver and Ultron.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

purple death ray posted:

I thought Captain America was odds-on favorite to bite it in Infinity War.

Probably the second movie or the end of the first if they're going to do it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Superman is limited to a pretty set list of physical things here can do. Green Lantern can just do whatever the gently caress he wants.

He can just have five Superman surrounding him at all times

Can he modify his physiology to think and act as quickly as a speedster or Superman? Could Green Lantern actually command a construct Superman to go light-speed?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

purple death ray posted:

He makes and pilots green planes and space ships that can fly at light speed, right?

Piloting a space ship at light speed through empty space doesn't require thinking at light speed though. Like, say I have a power ring, but a real Superman could punch me in the face and knock me out before I formed the thought and sent a signal to my arm to raise a power ring because my nerve impulses "only" travel at 250 miles per hour. While Superman's are able to function at 671 million miles per hour meaning Superman theoretically has reflexes 2.7 million times faster than me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

teagone posted:

I just realized Hawkeye wasn't in the trailer. Unless I missed a quick shot of him, lmao.

No Ant Man or Wasp either. Isn't Ant Man and the Wasp rumored to feature Hawkeye in the main cameo role?

Also didn't see Rhodey or Valkyrie.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The War Machine suit is in that last shot of those heroes running

gently caress, I'm blind.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

They’re in every shot, squint harder.

gently caress, you're probably right.

Teenage Groot movie though, they're actually going to follow through on that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If Disney buys 21st Century Fox and gets the rights to the X-Men I could see Rogue being the baddie of Captain Marvel 2/systematically dismantling the Avengers to finally do justice to the character before she becomes the focal point of a relaunched X-Men. They can't really beat the depictions/re-cast Wolvie, Professor X, or Magneto.

But, oh yeah, Tony and Vision bite it in Infinity War, Banner in Avengers 4.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Winter Soldier: Captain America

gently caress.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Illyana Rasputin/Magik - Mutant Demon Queen of Limbo because as a child she was kidnapped from the X Mansion by the wizard Belasco who wanted to use her soul to do something in Limbo. Between Belasco and an version of Storm that was trapped in Limbo too, she learned magic that augmented her mutant ability to teleport using stepping disks. She also possesss the Soul Sword and Soul Armor, of which she just seems to use her sword now. BTW, its heavily suggested that she and Kitty had a relationship, though I doubt fox would want to have a lesbian in their movie.

Magik is my 3rd favorite Mutant after Wolverine and Rogue, so I'm hoping she's done right in the movie.

Kitty had a relationship with both the Rasputin siblings? drat Kitty, that's wild.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it absolutely would have to be from Cap as the one he respects.

You could just have someone coach Evans beforehand or, if we really want to go full sitcom on this, have him wear an earpiece with Cheadle, Mackie, and Boseman feeding him lines and then getting into a fight over something at the exact moment when Keaton asks Evans how his privilege manifests when interacting with black people who are more well-off financially than him.

But on a serious note what if they also invited the other kid also and then tried to make it a teaching moment and a cool shared experience? Would that salvage the situation?

Yet more evidence that Stark was right in Civil War and the Avengers need oversight.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Glad that movie was cancelled after looking at those.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

it says right at the top those are pitches he made, not any official work. He was never attached, he was trying to get hired to replace Del Toro.

Glad the music video man didn't turn the Justice League into extras in a Taylor Swift video tbh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I don't know who MKupperman is. Is he a figure of some kind?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Saying Guardians 2 was "afraid of being sincere" because it has quips is one of the dumbest takes I've seen since the last dumb take I saw.

Yeah, the Yondu relationship between the other ravagers, Quill, and even Rocket is sincere as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

One thing I was curious about after ragnarok was if the odinforce is supposed to exist as A Thing in the mcu

My personal interpretation of those quick flashback scenes to Odin in Ragnarok was that Thor had inherited the Odinforce and was learning to use it.

• Locked thread