Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing with Cap is all his WWII stuff was like a few years ago to him. The things he did and learned there are still fresh in his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Nothing is more dangerous in any Marvel continuity than a guilty Tony Stark trying to make amends.

Surely Reed gives him some competition here?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Squirrel Girl pre-film short cartoons.

And maybe a serial newsreel about Captain America during the war.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

The dialogue suggested he completely removed it, but Pepper hasn't been seen since so who the hell knows. Pepper with Extremis would certainly be a unique power set in the MCU, both in effect and visuals (though according to the guys who did it, the effects for Extremis were a pain to do in post-IM3 interviews).

My problem with a hero Pepper, Extremis or armored, is how on earth she'd fit into any narrative at this point without an IM4. One of the more plausible theories I've heard about the Infinity War movies is that the first one features the standard extant Avengers, who get their poo poo wrecked and so turn to more unorthodox heroes with weirder and more extreme abilities like Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, and the Inhumans. Pepper's not like Tony who's plausible enough to drop into most anyone else's story at this point. The story would need to justify and use her, I think, and superpowered Pepper feels like a bad fit for any of the movies going forward that we know about - Ant-Man and Wasp at the most plausible.

She could be Rescue and be added to the Avengers as some kind of "Look, we have someone with no/minimal weapons, who's just there to help people and prevent damage when she can" and or government go-between kinda thing, maybe? Then during the big "everything is going to poo poo in the city" battles you could sometimes cut to her holding up a wall to let some kids run away from the danger or what have you. A hero who is not focused on the combat could be good for their public image as well.

If it would be executed at all well would be another thing. Also, I haven't seen Civil War yet so I dunno how plausible that scenario is after that movie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't the deal with the Nova Corps in Guardians something like they were all sharing one communal power source? Have <villain of movie> murder off like all but a few Nova Corps members and now you get your <roll 1d4 for number of Novas the your team> who has/have all that power that was previously stretched thin across thousands.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though.

Ghost Rider / Blade / other horror themed Marvel stuff would be a good excuse to make some kind of Halloween special anthology series or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My fav Ghost Rider movie was Drive Angry.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It has one really, really, really bad scene that I think lets it down a lot (the atomic fridge scene at the start) but it's a fun movie other than that, with an enjoyable cast. I think it's fun as an homage to the 1950s science-fiction films which functioned as Red Scare allegories, in much the same way as the original Indy movies worked as homages to old pulp adventures and film serials (and to a certain extent Donald Duck comics).

I still don't see why everyone shits on that movie for the fridge scene when the far more ridiculous scene of LeBeouf swinging on vines exists.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously Falcon and Bucky should get gay married and Steve gets to be all I AM AMERICA AND I SAY THIS IS COOL AND GOOD

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they'll do a big important issue revealing the Joker does not have a dick and has not has one as long as he's been there Joker and therefore he totally did not rape her guys.

I mean though it's the Joker he'd probably do his rapes with a big foam finger or a dick shaped baloon or something anyway right

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Shocker and Cardiac.

Oh wait, they just did an electric villain and it didn't go over so well. :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How much bondage fetish will the movie include though? Gotta stay true to the spirit of the original, right?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

I hope they completely change the ladies for the cartoon but leave their names the same.

It'd be inequality if they didn't, right?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I know it was two pages ago and we are talking Marvel now, but I got to say I really liked the look of Aquaman in the trailer. People were bitching about Cyborg but instead of saying the same thing about something I don't like I will say something positive and say that I really like that they are taking Aquaman in a different look from the comics.
Also it feels like they are missing out by not having Martian Manhunter in the film, and getting Bruce to fill that role seems like they are missing out.

No Martian, Lantern, or Green Arrow. This JL is lacking in the green department. Also only one woman, so maybe Miss Martian would have been cool?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be ok with flash having armor if it was specified and looked like it was there mostly to soften crashing into things when falling out of control at super speeds and stuff. I kinda feel like speed characters should all wear face protection too because of physics reasons but lol speed force

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't like getting wrapped in "Marvel vs DC" polarity but, as far as that argument goes, even as a kid I just liked the Marvel characters better. They seemed more believable, grounded, true to life overall and were more interesting to read than the DC characters with the separate earths, the reboots and the wacky timelines and poo poo.

Maybe it's just as simple as that. That the Marvel characters overall are more fleshed out, inherently flawed and basically just more interesting and simpler to write. I mean there's crossover and contradiction in my tastes for sure and I'm not saying it's absolute. I LOVE Batman, Joker, Teen Titans and Green Lantern. I hate Thor. But, for the most part, I always dug Spiderman, FF, Daredevil, Hulk, X-Men and Moon Knight more than whatever DC was offering up.

There's a lot of great stuff to explore with DC. The Donner Superman films, the Nolan trilogy and even Burton's Batman prove that. I think DC just needs to slow the gently caress down and really explore these characters and tell their stories. Not saying they should copy Marvel's template entirely but maybe they should to some extent. You can't just throw the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg up on a YouTube video cameo that makes no loving sense to anyone and expect the audience to connect with it.

I remember appreciating Spider-Man a lot because he was kinda poor. I mean ok yeah he lives in new york so whatever but like he can afford the apartment but that's about it. I read an issue once where he was like fantasizing about making a Spider-Van but realized he wouldn't be able to pay for it and I'm like yep this is why I like this guy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and in the Godzilla 98 film, he almost breathed fire for a second.

Godzilla doesn't breathe fire. :spergin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The events of The Avengers knocked several sections of new york back to their decades old stereotypes ok??

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Caville family gatherings must be horrible then, they probably go through a cycle of his family asking him why he isn't a solider like <family member> and then he eventually just goes "yea well I'm superman so shut up"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The music works in Guardians because it has an explained emotional connection to the main character and isn't intentionally picking lyrics just because they match something on the screen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

The first Ninja Turtles movie holds up, the second one doesn't.

It also has the best budget:profit ratio of the whole series. Shocking what can be accomplished by sticking fairly close to source material and low amounts of executive meddling.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The suits really are impressive. You can believe they are real creatures pretty easily if you let yourself do so. They're really expressive.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TMNT 2 would be so much better if they would have actually had the reveal about the Professor being an Utrom but "kids would be confused" so welp.

Also pay attention when they're in the TGRI building lab set, there's a giant loving golden space rock sitting on the top of the center machine or whatever for some reason.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

I choose...both

Watch the current tv show then, if you want it (tonally) more on the cartoon side. although you'll have trouble finding it on VHS.

If you want it more (tonally) on the comics side, read the current IDW comics.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't care about the hair as long as she enacts this iconic pose

Giant framed close up photo, drat that's some ego.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
He'd pick better songs at least

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

I wonder if they'd ever do a Marvel Zombies standalone, with a zombie MCU invading the regular one.

only if it's the part with Ash and Dazzler

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget how they decided to build Mecha Godzilla III over the bones of the 54 Godzilla. Which is insane.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

Thanks everyone. I've been super obsessed with the big guy since I was like, three. Glad to get the chance to put some of it to a good use.

Right there with you dude. I'd have made the effort posts but I'm lazy and forgot half the stuff so you probably did a better job anyway!

For some reason for years I would always fall asleep while watching Godzilla VS Megalon. Like I used it as an insomnia cure a few times. I don't even hate the movie or anything, it just puts me to sleep. However, last time I watched an HD copy and stayed awake, so maybe it has to be a 4:3 VHS rip or something for that effect. So weird.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I think both American Godzillas treat themselves as the first time people are made aware of Godzilla's existence to milk the drama and mystery from having to come to terms with the fact that giant lizard that breathes fire exists, so they don't ALL follow the events of the first film.

Sometimes it's more of a "oh gently caress he's back again, what haven't we tried against him yet?" story.

He doesn't breathe fire :spergin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an Iron Man comic where Tony gets the rings and makes a suit / 10 suits around them? I could see him being like "well it's magic so who knows how it works but if I rigged it up into a new weapon anyway"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know. A lot of reviewers say they started tuning out during the Dark World as soon as other realms and that kind of tolkien stuff started getting mentioned.

Yeah but those were fairly boring "standard"-ish fantasy realms. Show us some weird cosmic poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

spooky like this! posted:

So according to this pdf Guardians of the Galaxy has the most on screen deaths of any movie ever. The important thing is "on screen" which doesn't count stuff like planets blowing up in Star Wars. The thing that puts it over the top is the part where all the Nova Corp ships blow up. They claim they counted each one and use the earlier scene where you see that each ship is a one seater. Apparently the group who did this compared over 600 movies.

The final total :83,871

I hope Gunn sees this and accepts it as a challenge

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Ghost Dennis Leary stares at this post disapprovingly.

This is the only good part of that movie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Clearly he should just carry around a stash of kid-sized Spider-Masks and hand them out to kids like crowns at burger king.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maximum Carnage would be a rad miniseries or something don't even tell me it wouldn't.

Hopefully they could license The Mob Rules.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOgJ9y0Ots

So Iron Man is looking pretty "movie" here to me, I wonder if this is what we can expect Captain Marvel to look like in her film as well?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the movie is pretty much exactly the show so I could understand people not knowing it was a separate film thing and not just like a long episode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dinklage should play Galactus.

This totally works I think but the rights will make that a nightmare of course.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend who named his kid after Gambit. He calls him Remmy. I pretend it's a Sliders reference to be a dick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My guiltiest comic pleasure is Savage Dragon, and I could explain all sorts of crazy (and completely accurate) stuff about the first 200 or so issues (long after it stopped being even semi-popular), but nobody will ever ask me about it.

Did they continue to acknowledge anything from when they shared a universe with TMNT after they no longer did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Retardog posted:

Erik was trying to get the Turtles back for issue 222, since they'd appeared in issues 2 and 22, but getting the rights approved through either Eastman or Laird, I can't remember which one, was such a headache he stopped caring.

That's kind of a great idea, too bad it didn't go through.

Rhyno posted:

Do Eastman and Laird still hate each other?

I think they've done some mild collaborations or appearances in the semi recent past? I forget. Eastman is working on IDW TMNT now and Laird is still in "I am done with TMNT forever, probably" mode far as I know.

• Locked thread