Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Hakkesshu posted:

Has the Old Man Logan stuff actually been confirmed, I thought that was just a rumor

As I understand; it has been heavily hinted by Hugh Jackman (to the point that at Comic-con somewhere he said "I got three words for you: Old Man Logan") but since then there's been casting rumors that suggest that they're either not going with it or heavily modifying it (which they would need to do anyway so that's hardly surprising). Some rumors based on a casting call for a young girl/woman suggest X-23 might be in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

An X-Men movie without Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, or Mystique for once would be a breath of fresh air.

Or at least demote them to supporting casts. X-Men movies should really be about all the kids/young adults/younger-than-50-year-olds on the team, not the centuries old geezers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Apparently, he's in the "idea" stage of X-Force, and Simon Kinsberg is writing it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/17/bryan-singer-has-pitched-female-wolverine-x-force-script-in-the-works

Fox is in desperate need for some fresh blood. We've seen what this duo can bring to the franchise, and its something that should have been left behind long ago.

Also in the article

quote:

Singer confirmed that he's discussed with the studio what will happen with Wolverine after Hugh Jackman retires the claws for good, and even suggested featuring Logan's female clone X-23 in Fox's X-Force film. "I actually initially pitched the X-Force and the female," he said.

:stare: I am filled with equal parts excitement for the possibility of X-23 in the X-Men films, and dread for seeing how Singer messes this up.

Also "the female", really?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I remember liking both Thor movies but its been a while since I saw them. :shrug:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Johns doing the movies means he's writing less of the comics probably. So this is a good thing.

Never underestimate the ability of a bad writer to take on more work by simply spending even less time thinking about what they're writing.

(I don't dislike Johns that much but yeah, a DC film division with him at the head feels like a step sideways for the films.)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

If she's being candid - and she's unusually honest, especially comparison to the rest of her acting colleagues - then McAvoy, Fassbender, and her could all be exiting the film at the same time. If the three leads on a film series (and its three main draws) all leave it simultaneously, it's gonna be real interesting to see how Singer pivots with 7.

And Hugh Jackman leaving after Wolverine 3. I almost want to see all four leave just to see what the films do. If the rumors are true they're already going to have to introduce X-23 without Logan, and XM:A's going to have to really kill it with the new characters to make sequels without the big name actors possible.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

qntm posted:

I kind of want to see them close the door on this X-Men universe and start over. They've made what, seven films, and about three good ones altogether? Recast everybody, reboot back to X-Men, drop some continuity. It can't be worse.

Travis343 posted:

They did that one movie ago though.

Yeah that's the biggest reason the Singer movies are such a setback for the Fox X-Men movies; they actually had a film that prominently featured a bunch of smaller characters and better yet, no Wolverine. And then one movie later, WHOOOOPS our bad, back to the Magneto/Xavier/Wolverine/Mystique(ft Beast and Quicksilver) power hour.

The best case scenario for Fox is that they delayed their reboot until all the big contracts run out, then finally do their reboot. I don't think that's what they're doing if Singer's talking X-Force and X-23 in future movies, but to be fair he can't exactly be talking "Yeah these movies are the end, we're gonna reboot this poo poo right after the next X-Men movie.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

Ah I see they're doing the current "Thor has cancer" plotline from Mighty Thor :v:.

(I seriously doubt that's what that is)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not at all familiar with Brie Larson outside of Scott Pilgrim, where she's completely unremarkable IMO. Not that I don't believe she's a good actress, but is she like... too good for a superhero film? Just looking her up she doesn't seem hammy enough. I'm just worried it's going to be another Jennifer Lawrence-type role.

The J-Law situation was a pretty unique one I don't see a lot of comparison to here. She had her film debut as Mystique just before she appeared in Hunger Games and became big. Marvel's not really in the same kind of boat of stumbling across an up and coming actor, and they've generally taken enough care with the MCU casting that I wouldn't worry about any of their picks unless we start getting real bad trailers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Now that Mystique is officially a hero, Bryan Singer says that he wants the next X-Men movie to be a Mystique solo film. With or without Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-singer-thinks-mystique-should-have-her-own-f-237699

I'm so torn between on the one side wanting X-Men solo movies that aren't Wolverine, wanting Mystique to be recast and wanting X-Men movies that try out different genres/styles (Mystique as a solo lead would only work in some kind of spy/heist/etc movie, not stopping giant robots or blue men from destroying earth)

...and on the other side not wanting to see anything building off of the Mystique from the new X-Men movies.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 4, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I always thought the reason Joker was never executed for his crimes was just that Gotham didn't have a death penalty, and the cops never kill Joker because the only time they're ever in a position to do that is when Batman is hand delivering Joker to them, and so Joker dying in police custody like that would be bad I guess.

Joker's just such a font of poor writing and contrived bullshit that I wish DC would stop using him. His body count is too high for him to be able to survive ever being arrested, Batman comes across as an idiot and a sociopath for not being able to rationalize killing this one man responsible for the deaths of countless people, and it comes across as bizarre the corrupt city of Gotham has a police force so dedicated to the rules/law they never just summarily execute him. Like I totally understand the need for iconic recurring villains, but there should be limits on how evil those recurring villains can get before it just becomes stupid that everyone just kinda accepts that the Joker will just keep killing people forever and nobody can do anything about it.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I admit the Joker thing isn't quite so bad when Bruce Wayne is treated more as an actual person with morals and an interest in criminal justice beyond "I PUNCH BAD GUY, BAD GUY GO TO JAILBOX, CRIME STOP!" I guess I'm mostly annoyed that it's something that rarely works and when it doesn't work (i.e. Batman's reasons come across as just "I can't because I suffer heavily from slippery slopes") it makes Batman come across as a total idiot and Joker having the shiniest, thickest set of plot armor.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

Also their birth name. Was Edward Nygma and Otto Octavious really going to be anything but Riddler and Dr Octopus with those names.

You have to wonder though is that the name doing it, or is there a strong correlation between people who would name their kids E. Nygma or Otto Octavious and people who would raise their kids to intentionally be supervillains. Like even if you accept "Nygma" is just a normal last name and not a name the family changed their name to just to create that pun, the parents still had to decide "We will name our kid E. Nygma", and you don't do that unless you know you're going to raise them to be a superhero/villain.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 14, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

When I say Batman is my favorite comic book character, that's mostly out of simplicity. Nearly every member of Batman's supporting cast is more interesting than Bruce himself. Dick, Tim, Cassandra, Batwoman, Jim Gordon, etc. But they don't exist without Batman. My actual favorite thing in comics is the situations that arise among this patchwork family and their relationships to each other and to this insane hellhole of a city they protect, and then you've got similar situations among the motley crew of mobsters and psychopaths they're fighting/working with/whatever. That's a goddamn mouthful, and none of that happens without Batman there at the center, so I just tell people yeah, I love Batman.

:agreed:

Like, I'd totally love to read solo books for basically every one of the Batman supporting heroes and I'm WAY happier with Detective Comics for having all the cool side characters than I am looking forward to the upcoming Batman series that are mostly just Bruce, but at the same time if DC ever hard rebooted again and floated the idea of divorcing all the supporting characters from Bruce and making them totally independent characters, I'd say you'd lose a lot of what makes Bruce likable, and the relationship between those supporting characters is so much weaker when its' just "colleges in the same line of work" instead of "brothers and sisters in a weird bat-crime-fighting-family"..

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I like the Bat-ladies and Spoiler and Bluebird but the Robins are fine too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

X-Men Apocalypse looks to limp its way off its theatrical run, with Box Office Mojo predicting a $6 million third weekend (even though it's underperformed to low expectations every time, so it's quite possible we see a five or even four million third weekend). At present it's got a $140 million total domestic BO so it looks like it'll struggle to hit 155-160 million in total domestic. Depending on how badly it does this weekend it might not even break $150 million.

In direct contrast, Civil War is going to break $400 million total domestic receipts this weekend, becoming only the fourth Marvel movie (behind both Avengers films and IM3) to do so. Depending on how much longer it gets to run in theaters it might - might - beat Iron Man 3 in domestic receipts, which'll be pretty significant.

For comparison, Days of Future Past had a $233m domestic gross, and played in fewer theaters (3,996 to 4,150).

I expected XM:A to disappoint but I thought $600m was still a pretty safe bet after Future Past. Now it's looking like $550m will need a miracle. This isn't anywhere near "Aw man Fox is done, it'll sell X-Men back to Marvel in a week" bad, but it's bad enough that now I'm not so positive Fox will never sell X-Men back to Marvel. Fox does have some potential for redemption in the New Mutants, X-Force, the planned TV shows, etc but if they don't really take off, the only remaining safe money printing license Fox has left from Marvel is Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds will probably play Deadpool for as long as Fox lets him, but I'd wait for at least one other really well performing Deadpool movie/movie prominently featuring Deadpool before declaring the X-Men totally safe with Fox again.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 17, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

That is a fair point, Fox is so much larger and more stable than Sony that even if the X-Men movies started bombing, not even making up the initial production costs, they can afford to step back and reboot the franchise in a few years, and there's enough inertia behind their X-Men stuff that unless literally everything they do from now until 2020 bombs, they'll probably just keep making X-Men until comicbook movies stop being A Thing.

Plus with Singer's upcoming break from the X-Men, that's a pretty good opportunity to find someone who can make movies about superpowered folks saving the world fun and/or interesting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Last I heard, Marvel has backup plans of some sort if they do ever randomly get the X-Men. I don't think Marvel has room for a full X-Men movie, but I could totally see sprinkling a Cyclops cameo here, a Deadpool solo film there, tossing Wolverine onto the Avengers, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Counterpoint: why does the MCU need 40+ new superheroes?

I don't really think anyone at Marvel's dumb enough to insist on introducing every mutant they intend on using day one. I'd imagine it would probably be the O5 plus Xavier, more trickle in as needed. I'd be more curious what villains they'd start out with since most of the major ones are either too big to start off with or the Fox movies used them too recently. Maybe Juggernaut on his own?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Wasn't there a weird labourer subclass made up of clones/failed terrigen/deviant genetic failures? The Alpha Primitives I think? How does that jive with compassion?

They were a slave race made up of humans exposed to Xenogenic mists, created to free the Inhuman master race from the horrors of physical labor.

IIRC the Inhumans did at some point ban making new ones, freed the existing ones, and they don't really pop up in stories anymore but I think the Inhumans lose some compassion points for being the slowest nation on earth to ban chattel slavery.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 18, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

We talked about this. It doesn't work if it's a juice they all drank. Except Wolverine I guess since part of his deal literally was an attempt to redo Captain America wasn't it?

Wolverine was born a mutant like any other (except he was born in like 1860 but w/e). His mutations at birth were claws made out of his own bones, heightened senses, and rapid regeneration. The Weapon X stuff was an attempt to redo Captain America by making his regeneration even better, coating his claws in metal, and then having him go around murdering people.

The Ultimate X-Men on the other hand were all created from an attempt to redo Captain America so you could just use the Ultimate universe's mutant origins.

Raserys posted:

God, the Inhumans loving suck

As someone who hasn't read much Inhumans before the modern "the Inhumans are mutants Marvel owns the film rights to" stuff, I don't necessarily disagree but I know there are are a lot of people who really like their earlier stuff so idk maybe it's good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Lockjaw is way cooler than any X-men.

:colbert: and if he were a core member of any team book, then this would be a point in the Inhumans favor. But he's not. And that's terrible.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Silver Sable makes more sense than that Aunt May movie they allegedly were doing earlier, but even if you want a female lead Sony movie, other than using Spider-Woman/Gwen/Silk, at the very least Black Cat is a character I'd imagine non-comics-readers have a better chance of recognizing. I'd still say a Black Cat movie would be a terrible idea, but at least one where I can see where the idea came from.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Like someone said a while back in another thread, the best part of Batman is the characters surrounding Batman like Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, etc.

Yeah, Batman is the glue that makes the relation between those characters more like a weird family instead of coworkers in the same field, but I'll always find stories that prominently feature the supporting cast over pure Batman stories.

Also, the supporting characters are a lot more fallible/imperfect/human than Batman which makes them more interesting. Even when Batman's not being The Goddamn Batman, he still doesn't feel like his weaknesses/shortcomings are as big of a problem for him as they are for the other characters, and that makes them more interesting imho.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Anora posted:

I would rather watch IM2 then Thor 2 or Beavis.

Same, but switch IM2 and Thor 2 around.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

BvS is better, still not good. Doomsday is a huge kryptonite albatross around this movie's neck that just pulls it into the darkest depths of the loving Suck Ocean. Superman is much more sympathetic this time around. He comes across like a guy who does want to do Good but is beaten back at every turn by a hateful, jealous world. He seems more confused and frustrated than the aloof and disinterested cardboard cut-out from the theatrical version.

There's still so much awful, wrongheaded poo poo dragging this movie down to call it good, but this cut is definitely an improvement.

Having never seen BvS before seeing the ultimate edition just now, this is how Superman came across to me as well and he seemed a lot more sympathetic than the superdick I had heard about from people who saw the original.

Also yeah, I heard the theater cut was real bad, came into the UE with low expectations, certainly didn't blow me away or anything but the film was alright. Granted, it was alright and also 3 hours long, meaning it's worse than all the other alright 2.5 hour movies out there, but it was good enough that I'm still interested in the Justice League movie.

Other thought; while I did like the scenes of Wonder Woman in armor and fighting, her whole exchange with Bruce about how her dress/she is so sexy that most men underestimate her was real bad. Gadot herself was good as Diane, and I'm totally on board for her solo film, but I didn't really like the movie's Wonder Woman until the fight with Doomsday.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Did you think they had a multi part story where they fought Alex Wilder's dad and his name never came up?

To be fair, they mostly were called "mom and dad" and "our parents". They did call eachother by name in the scenes from the parents' perspective but the kids didn't really refer to their parents by name much.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

So respond with "Nah lol" and move on

e: Also, who the gently caress cares? Does it really affect you if people start unironically saying that BvS had a good colour palette in other places?

Who the gently caress cares? Does it really affect you if people post on the Internet?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I don't really care about the X-Men being segregated into their own universe (in fact I think it works better) but Marvel really needs to get the F4 back.

Yeah, even if Fox could have the F4 and associated characters cross over with X-Men (which I'm not entirely sure if their deal allows for that), it'd still be fundamentally worse than having the F4 and the rest of their characters hang out with the MCU. Even if the F4 are done really well, they still have little to do with mutants beyond "You're kinda a sciency thing, we do science!" compared to the F4 hanging out with heroes like Tony and Bruce, and Doom being a threat to the Avengers works a lot better than using him as an X-Men villain.

Also the lighter tone of the MCU films suits the F4 a lot better than Fox's movies' tones.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I admit I'm burned out on "Dr. Doom is the BEST VILLAIN EVER" stuff. He's one step below The Joker these days.

I think Doom will always be a better villain than Joker because at their worsts, wacky lolzrand00m crazy clown guy will always be worse than "dude in mask who I am convinced is peak cool/badass despite this not being the case".

But I agree that Doom is a villain that only works if you use him sparingly and only for certain kind of stories, and I think people often don't appreciate how boring both villains become if you just keep going back to them.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also aren't going out of their way to make Doom 'edgy' or whatever it is they keep doing with the Joker the last few years

Looks like someone doesn't understand method acting.

(I loving hate when people say that re: Leto's wacky antics getting ready to play Joker. When I think Joker, I don't think "handing coworkers weird poo poo" or "fedexing stuff")

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Xinder posted:

Thanks, I might check it out.

Unrelated: I just looked up Irredeemable on wikipedia to see how the issues were arranged in the trades and I found this

I don't know whether I should be excited?

Basically every comic book is in theory having a film adaptation being made of it at all times. Generally, unless actors get cast in it, it's probably not happening. There's that Wicked + Divine TV adaptation that's been dead for a while, I think basically every Mark Millar book has a movie deal at this point, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that JL trailer supposed to get people excited?

It definitely did a hell of a lot better than the BvS trailers did. Granted, that's not hard to do, and that trailer did feel like they're trying to out-quip Avengers which I was kinda hoping they wouldn't try, but I can at least see myself seeing this film opening weekend.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Guardians 2 and Dr. Strange are both having new trailers premiere today, but Marvel says they aren't going to be released publicly until a couple weeks later.

They also have "new anti-filming technology" to prevent leaks; whatever that entails.

I will never understand a company creating promotional material that's supposed to get people excited for a film, and then only releasing it to a small group of people and going to great lengths to delay it being posted online.

Even if they release it eventually, I'm not going to be as excited to see it a week after I've seen all the other cool things coming out of Comic Con, like the DC trailers for example.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I'm the terribly weak green filter that kicks in suddenly at 0:06.

I'm the annotation 30 seconds in apologizing for the bad editing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Skimming the Suicide Squad movie reviews, it sounds like Harley Quinn is handled in a pretty bad way, i.e. "the sexiest abuse victim", and her flashbacks to the Joker are less "look at this hosed up poo poo Harley endured" and more "look how cool Joker is (while being abusive)".

Obviously having not seen the movie myself I can't say for sure if that's the case, but that's definitely what I was really holding out hope wouldn't happen and seeing reviews mention it's there makes me much less excited to see the film.

FlamingLiberal posted:

aaannnnddd the DC fan meltdown has already begun

https://twitter.com/johnd0p3/status/760596902106787840

I'm like 90% sure that person's trolling, but I like how the petition implies Rotten Tomatoes has their own critics that review films, instead of just going out and getting reviews from a bunch of critics from around the web.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

See, I was on the verge because I like the idea of an SS movie. The concept is classic - it's The Dirty Dozen meets Batman. Great. But with Leto-Joker and all the garbage surrounding him and his antics*, it has completely turned me off the idea. I feel as though if I pay for a movie ticket, I'm sending the wrong message. I'm saying "More of this, please".

*On that note, either it's bullshit ("Joker's so crazy our actor had to get crazy to learn what it was like - pass it on") or Jared Leto is a loving sociopath, and gently caress that.

Also from the reviews, Joker doesn't even have any scenes with any characters that aren't Harley Quinn. All the statements from the actors about how his antics helped create a feeling of antagonism with his character are nonsense because none of them ever actually acted in any scenes with Leto. It was pure marketing/promotional material to make people think Joker was a bigger part of the film than he was.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Eh, nah. The reviews are pretty unanimous in that Cara Delevingne, whether as June Moon (where she's mousy and wooden and barely present) or as Enchantress (where she's catastrophically terrible) is the worst part of SS.

There's a difference between best/worst actor, and best/worst part of the film. I'm not surprised to hear Cara is the worst actor in the film, but Leto's Joker could still be the lowest point of the film, despite being better acted.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

site posted:

Why does she have to have red hair

Cause that's her big defining trait beyond "Peter's girlfriend" I guess?

I don't read much Spider-Man, I legit have no idea how big or well developed she is or is not. But as a non-Spider-Man person that's basically all I know about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I finally got around to seeing Suicide Squad, and I think I actually liked it less than BvS. It just felt like none of the characters who got significant screentime made any sense, and the b-tier members were just kinda wasted there. A big complaint I heard before seeing it was that the it kinda skips from "we're all ne'er-do-wells and murderers in it for ourselves, forced to fight against our will" straight to "Oh yeah we're a family now" and that's absolutely a problem the film had. Deadshot only cares about two things; getting paid and his daughter. But then he randomly decides that he wants to die heroically so now he's on board with thankless, unpaid heroing. Harley only cares about the Joker. But then when Enchantress promises to bring back Joker, Harley attacks her because "[Enchantress] hurt my friends!". El Diablo feels intense remorse for killing his family and refuses to fight. But he will use his powers to spell out words in fire, make dancing fire ladies he stares as while he describes how he burned his wife and children alive,etc. Boomerang spends literally the entire movie planning his escape and even does so once Flagg declares they're free to go. But then shows back up to possibly die fighting magic nonsense. Enchantress says that humans once worshiped her but now worship machines, and so she will create a machine. Then she decides she's actually a metahuman supremacist. Then she decides she's actually spreading darkness around the world by shooting magic lighting at stuff. Katana seems to have had some kind of character arc totally offscreen and we just get occasional glimpses into her stages of character development.

I don't even know if the movie would make more sense if it wasn't edited into being a different movie than what was allegedly intended. It's not like I needed to see more fight scenes or more flash backs to Joker and Harley to make the movie to be better put together.

• Locked thread