Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Marvel Movies actually tend to do pretty well with women. I don't know how BvS did, but MoS and the X-Men movies were heavily slanted towards men.

The first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were like 52/48 and 54/46, which people were noting was part of the reason they did so well at the box office.

There weren't many great female characters in the first Avengers, so I blame the fact that Marvel apparently has a mandate to include 2-3 slow pans over a shirtless Chris Hemsworth in every movie he is in.

You forgot putting Chris Evans in extremely tight shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait, what is gay about two muscular men in tight pants and tank-tops chopping wood for 3 minutes and then staring into each other's eyes in silence?

Ending with a shot of an exploding log (of wood).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I can't think of any who would be on that list and didn't get one.

Antman and Guardians of the Galaxy are the ones nobody expected would actually come out. I think Antman is what originally kicked off the whole "nobody will watch a movie about [whatever]"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't want anything bad happening to Hawk Family because killing off wives/families to make characters into the 'right' versions is lame as hell in comics, it's probably lame in movies too.

It's also why I hope Deadpool 2 doesn't open with Deadpool's girlfriend getting a bridge dropped on her even though there's like a 90% chance of that happening

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Opopanax posted:

Should go the Austin Powers route and just write Vanessa out in the first scene, say she was a Doombot or something.

That's what I just said I didn't want to happen!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

X-O posted:

KGBeast being Lex's henchman

Man, now I wonder if anyone believed that (even if the character is basically an easter egg).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
BvS did have "set up" - Man of Steel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, Dark Knight was excellent and all but most of the MCU is fairly 'better' than Begins and Rises.

I wouldn't think all (possibly even most) of the MCU is better than Begins, and I don't find Begins that great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Didn't all those sidekicks end up growing up in the comics too? Like at this point I think the only Robin regularly portrayed as an actual kid is...Damien. I don't think there's been an actual teenage Bucky since World War 2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

theflyingorc posted:

I love most of those actors, though.

Isn't the main problem with Fantastic Four Reboot that the director had a complete meltdown?

From what it looks like to me absolutely no one upstairs had any hope for the movie before it was even released. They kinda left it out to die and had all the blame conveniently fall onto Trask.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Robin in Batman Forever in his 20s? His actor at least was 25 at the time and I always got the impresion he was at least 20.

It's completely schizophrenic about whether it's supposed to be a twenty something playing a teenager or literally a twenty something. Or to quote rifftrax,

"Oh no, I'm an orphan. A 30 year old orphan."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I just don't think general audiences like the Kid Tagalong thing anymore (did anyone actually like it, ever? As far as I can remember even kids hated the obligatory kid stand-ins.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, Jesus Christ Marvel.

It was the Disney Infinity postmortem thread that pointed out that they made a figure for Yondu before ever making Scarlet Witch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

theflyingorc posted:

Didn't Guardians come out before Ultron?

No, as in, they never made a Wanda and now never will since the entire franchise is discontinued.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel this kinda strange pity for Johns because he wouldn't be bad if he was still like any other writer, it just that he inexplicably keeps getting more and more power which aggravates all of his John-isms.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
That doesn't make any sense, China doesn't give a poo poo about critic reviews.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

They also say it about James Marsden and Shawn Ashmore.

And Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

theflyingorc posted:

maybe you should spend your time thinking about literally anything else

The censorship thing is only over anime/video games (read:stuff that has to be translated for 90% of the English speaking population to enjoy) too, I've never seen it for comics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
IIRC the Barbara/Bruce relationship was another one of those "can we actually get away with writing this?" things that the DCAU did a lot. Unlike those other cases I almost never see it brought up, hmm I wonder why.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Nobody ever says how inspired they were by Neonomicon or Lost Girls so it's pretty irrelevant to bring them up in this context.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hush ends up on a lot of "Beginner's Batman" lists because it's the equivalent of a Greatest Hits album, I think.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Everything about Warner Brothers handling of the PC port/DLC mess was a total embarrassment, I don't feel bad if that becomes what the game is known for. I don't hate the game itself but even I went "really?" when they took down and reuploaded the game to Steam to wipe out user reviews.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Fox being tight-handed with the Fantastic Four of all things is actually the reason why I don't see them ever selling XMen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my God you aren't joking. This is amazing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bringing Marvel and Star Wars together for a moment, I hope they have another Purple Man in the future, and he's played by John Boyega wearing this suit:

That is a strong suit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

So what's the consensus on Guardians of the Galaxy. As someone who saw it very recently, I have to say: it is very good.

There are some goons here who really hate it but it didn't make 700 million because it was unpopular.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Doom is no where near the level of obnoxiousness as the Joker. Dumbass Katana and trenchcoat wearing nerds don't idolize him nearly as much.

Doctor Doom's annoying fans always seemed to me to be comic book nerds talking to other comic book nerds. But then again, given Doom's adaptation record, it's not like they've had much other outlets.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe they shouldn't hire a guy who seems to want the movie to fail to cut the trailers next time.

At the time I thought the goon who ranted at the initial 20 second teasers was being ridiculous, but now I agree, those trailers were bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

DC you were doing so well

They were?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Roth posted:

I think in TAS Harley's a pretty good mix between being entertaining and funny in her own right, while being sympathetic and tragic for the abuse and manipulation she's suffered at the hands of the Joker.

She's definitely a character that's very easy to flanderize and write horribly, like in the Arkham games.

The weird part is that every single piece of media after TAS (except for maybe her spin-offs, I have no clue what happens in those), including stuff written by Bruce Timm, basically forgot Harley is supposed to be a sympathetic character at heart. Otherwise you get this feeling where the narrative is smugly gloating over a woman being "dumb enough" to get into an abusive relationship.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I really don't want Wonder Woman to fail before it starts. :smith:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Several reviews have brought it up mockingly, but can anyone name which superhero/action films had a (does review material count as spoilers?) column of light in the climax? Other than Ghostbusters of course.

I don't mean that as an argument, I have big gaps in my movie viewing and a bad memory.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ButtWolf posted:

Also, did yall have a problem with Slipknot being in the movie for 30 seconds? It was kind of weird.

I feel like a lot of the problems of Suicide Squad wouldn't be there if it was willing to actually kill off a large portion of the squad. Though I guess with the PG-13 rating that was never in the cards.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

JT Smiley posted:

I had no interest in this movie at all (because it looked terrible from the very start, but all the bad reviews actually make me want to see just how bad it is.

Nothing about Suicide Squad looked to my taste at all but I still kinda hoped it would be good because it seemed to be trying for something different. So of course the first thing most reviewers say is that it's disappointingly generic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Still rooting for Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe to be the next thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

You can be Russian without thinking Vladimir Putin is a cool dude, just saying.

This is more like wanting an actor's movie to fail because he's Russian.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

Not really.

Yes really? Like I'm not spending any more posts on a topic even WickedHate thought was too dumb to continue but the argument literally started from looking at the actress's nationality and thinking that was something notable.

edit: Why do people root for movies to be bad anyway? Nothing in Suicide Squad's marketing looked to be for my tastes at all, but I'm still a little bummed it apparently wasn't very good because we got one more bad movie instead of a good one.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Four Score posted:

I know it's dumb responding to an Aphrodite post, but tribes in the Amazon with minimal contact with the outside world know about Bruce Wayne's dumb dead parents. Tony Stark's dead parents took a backseat in all the Iron Man movies, the character himself being at best a B-list hero before IM1, and it wasn't until years after the movie that the comics added the archetypal "Secret Origins" story that expanded on Howard and Maria's deaths; even then, the comics and cinematic versions differ greatly.

I misread this at first and thought it was talking about Wonder Woman knowing about Bruce Wayne's dead parents. Which is probably true.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

MrAristocrates posted:

He's a pretty abrasive guy, to put it mildly.

I'm not sure why people don't trust him, though. From what I've seen his sources are typically pretty solid.

I think his Marvel information tends to come out of his rear end but his DC leaks have been 100% accurate, at least for all the actually interesting stuff like Jimmy Olsen getting shot by KGBeast.

edit: Also I never want to hear about comic book hair after blonde Jessica Alba.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if they're itching to do another movie after how badly World of Warcraft farted, but who knows.

Bad reviews aside, didn't the Warcraft movie do really well financially?

• Locked thread