Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've essentially got two monthly series going on under one title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently the rumor right now is that WB is courting Matthew Vaughn for Man of Steel 2.

Who would he play?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it, you were supposed to say "The Director" and then I was gonna say "The Director? I'm not familiar, is that a newer villain?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What did you think of it in the Lego Batman movie?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just seems to be like the exact kind of gently caress up Bruce would make.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I tried to see Get Out but every time the title screen comes up I run away.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Venom was alright in the Thunderbolts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about Matt Venom?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arist posted:

Even if Ayer is the most professional dude in the industry why would he work again in a franchise where the studio tore his latest film apart in editing?

e: oh, no, wait, I know the answer

Hasn't Ayer maintained that this wasn't the case?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he wasn't wrong about 2/3 of that email. The electro EDM fight was one of the better scenes in the film, and tons of films do a Snapchat cross promotion now where they send you character stories or new filters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

twistedmentat posted:

Is the Power Rangers movie expected to be huge? I haven't seen that much excitement about it.

I think it's tracking at 30-40 million? Its one of those movies with a diverse cast that will make most of its money overseas. They've done a decent job promoting it in general I think.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

Who needs Black Cat in a Silver Sable movie? I get that they only have characters from the Spider-Man roster to pull from but surely there's someone better for a mercenary story.

Like the chameleon who is literally a super spy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Saw Logan tonight. Wow; that was a wonderfully made and acted movie. Goddamn.

Some thoughts:

1. Every bit of praise showered upon Dafne Keen is justified. I am still trying to parse how an 11 year old girl could so accurately portray feral rage and deeply rooted PTSD, let alone the quiet isolation that comes from understanding that she's different from regular people but not really understanding why. I was also pretty surprised that they really showed the same girl getting impaled on a harpoon. Like, that level of explicit violence towards a preteen girl was... intense.

2. Since the X-Men franchise started, we've all been braying for a "proper" Wolverine movie where the claws come out and we see some poo poo go down. I love that Mangold said "Okay, that's what you wanna see? gently caress you, here you go" and made the movie we all asked for, but none of the violence is cool Matrix romanticized violence. Nope, that was visceral and upsetting and draining and dehumanizing. In a lot of scenes, the violence took on a more horror movie quality, giving them more impact and also working with the character.

3. Attn studios: here's more proof that you should stop loving around with movies. Leave the writers/directors/etc the gently caress alone, and you get Logan and Deadpool and Civil War. gently caress around a bunch and you get Amazing Spiderman 2 and Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and Apocalypse.

Civil War is probably one of the more hosed around with movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No matter how many parents he kills his origin story keeps changing so he exists. For a brief period in the middle of the film everyone calls him Bishop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Summers Brothers, have optic blasts
Met their son who was sent from the past,
Met some girls with some telepathy

Tell me less, tell me less, I am sick of these guys

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The current Aquaman book is good. Him as a dual citizen who desperately wants peace between his two home countries that don't like or respect one another and having to deal with parties in both who want war, it's a really good take.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

teagone posted:

Yeah, Pa Kent's death was easily preventable, sure. Clark could have either zipped in super fast to get his dad out of harm's way, or maybe he could have gone into the thick of the storm himself to save their dog and come out the other side unscathed. You could argue that Pa Kent wanted Clark to stay with his mother and the others in the underpass, because he knew Clark would be able to protect them should the tornado do something unpredictable (since tornadoes tend to be); it was a conscious choice to ensure to safety of the greater good. But Pa Kent was also convinced the world was not ready to see Clark for who is. He was a father ready and willing to sacrifice himself for the safety of his own son. There's some neat subtext going on in the scene too; it reveals the morality and responsibility for those who have strength and power to protect those who cannot protect themselves, even if it means getting hurt or even giving your own life to do so.

At the point in the story this scene takes place, it's not even known if he had manifested super speed. He hadn't demonstrated it in any of the flashbacks. You're applying tactical realism of what you would do if you had Superman's powers to a guy who you don't even know if he has all of his powers yet.

And badly applying it, at that. If he "zipped in" and out so fast no one could see him as you say, he'd break every bone in Pa Kent's body. He's far more destructive than a tornado.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Personally I thought the visual of Pa Kent being swallowed up was beautiful. His ghost speech about hero cake is also my favorite thing in BvS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Their Aquaman seems like just "underwater Thor" which is probably the best direction to take him for a movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Old Man Pants posted:

Things in chronological order that bothered me about bvs:
The bat tornado that he said was a dream and then they just don't say anything else about
Why is a billionaire driving a cheap rear end jeep?
Why weren't they evacuating buildings when a giant loving spaceship showed up and started wrecking poo poo?

This is in the first 8 minutes of the movie, and the rest is the same sequence of WTF after WTF imo.

1) it's called symbolism
2) he grabbed an abandoned car
3) the whole thing happened in a very short time frame

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blue lightning? These loving suits just don't get it. Not my Flash, Zack Snyder. - Opinions I've seen, posted unironically

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That seems like a conflict of interest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Titans design has a kind of Fischer Price look which works for that show but wouldn't elsewhere.

You gotta give him more of a chance than seeing him say one line and saying he had no charisma. I thought it was a good read, personally.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The real problem with the DCEU is they tried to "rush in" to their big ensemble film while Marvel took their time and built up to Avengers naturally.

Iron Man came out in May 2008 and Avengers came out in May 2012, four years later. And between they had four other movies in universe introducing new characters and the tone of the universe.

But Man of Steel came out in June 2013 and Justice League has been completely rushed to only four and a half years later in November 2017, and between those two they've only had three other in universe films instead of four. They haven't introduced us and given us the chance to get used to important characters and their roles like Edward Norton's Hulk and Terrence Howard Rhodes.

They really set up important characters like Hawkeye by having him stand on a tower and do nothing, unlike the DCEUs handling of Aquaman.

And their universe is filled with unlikable millionaires who casually murder people, not charming rogues like Tony Stark.

Total rush job.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume Justice League will be heavily tied to Cyborgs origin anyway since his current origin is heavily tired to Apokolips technology and the villain of the film are Apokoliptian.

Batman and Wonder Woman will have had their own film. The Flash seems to have the same origin and motivation as his popular TV show, the only character you are really going to have to introduce to audiences carefully that hasn't really been established organically is Aquaman.

Introducing Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg is going to be the point of the films first act anyhow, the "recruitment" phase.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of course it does, it's a Sony trailer. Remember how bad their Ghostbusters trailer was? But that movie turned out pretty... bad actually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vulture blows up boat: "Medicare for all sounds great but is an unrealistic policy goal!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And then it was bad, yes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would watch an Emoticon movie that used these forum icons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He puts his arm around Black Widow, zoom in on both their faces as they look into each other's eyes, cut to next scene he is walking through Avengers tower with a broken arm in a cast. He slips on a banana peel and falls down some stairs, but tumbles into a supervillain who was trying to sneak in.

An old Mexican janitor asks him "mister, mister, are you alright?" And it's revealed he is the one who was eating the banana. Tony Stark says "You really saved us this time Paul." Cut to, spinning newspaper of hero parade for the Mexican janitor, whom it turns out is also named Paul.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of all the "Joss actresses" to play Wonder Woman he should have gone with Gina Torres.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sure. The Riddle Her, Ms. Freeze, Scare Ho, Shush, Pen Gwen, Cleopatra, Jokette, Harley Davidson, Poison Oak, Catman, Ra's Al Gal, to name a few.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harley Davidson is funny. The rest I'll give you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Whedon would write that. Closest thing in his orbit to that was an episode from S6 of Buffy which I think was written by some lady.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next you're going to tell me he doesn't tell a joke.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You people really have a fundamental misunderstanding of Zack Snyder

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

achillesforever6 posted:

Uh excuse me let me tell you about this little thing called Death of the Author :smugbert:

(the joker was the author)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not good old Chris Hastings. He's a diamond in the rough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jim Carrey should reprise his role as Cable Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should be seen playing Fire Emblem Awakening at some point.

• Locked thread