Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Winter Soldier had a 95M opening weekend.
Avengers had 207M.
BvS had 166M.
Star Wars had 248M.

Civil War already broke the pre-sale record BvS set.

Over or under: 205M opening weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Age of Ultron was 191M.

I listed the first Avengers because it had good word of mouth while AoU was more tepid. Civil War has been getting good buzz so I think 200M is doable. It's tracking at 215M which I think is generous. 205M wouldn't surprise me.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Travis343 posted:

It is Mother's Day but who knows how many people are taking their moms to see Captain America.

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

http://deadline.com/2016/05/kevin-feige-marvel-studios-captain-america-civil-war-iron-man-doctor-strange-black-panther-1201750467/

Kevin Feige posted:

DEADLINE: You’ve got a bunch of characters in this movie from Falcon and War Machine and Black Widow and Hawkeye, who have so far guest starred in movies with another characters title above the fold. Is there one destined to get a solo movie down the line?
FEIGE: We’ve announced the next nine movies, 10 counting Civil War, through the end of 2019. Where we go beyond that are ongoing discussions that we’ll focus on in the next few years because we have a lot to do before then. Of the characters that you’ve just mentioned I would say certainly the one creatively and emotionally that we are most committing to doing is Black Widow.

DEADLINE: Why?
FEIGE: We think she’s an amazing character. We think Scarlett Johansson’s portrayal of her is amazing. She’s a lead Avenger and has amazing stories in her own right to tell that we think would be fun to turn into a stand-alone franchise.

Two things.

First, the earliest they would do a Black Widow solo movie would be Phase Four in 2020.

Second, he mentions nine movies through 2019, ten counting Civil War.

2016:
1) Captain America: Civil War
2) Doctor Strange

2017:
3) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
4) Thor: Ragnarok

2018:
5) Black Panther
6) Avengers: Infinity War Part I
7) Ant-Man and the Wasp

2019:
8) Captain Marvel
9) Avengers: Infinity War Part II
10) The Inhumans

This means they are still doing an Inhumans movie and neither the Agents of SHIELD storyline nor Indiana Jones 5 getting the date have stopped them.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Travis343 posted:

If they want to make a Black Widow movie they can do it whenever, just because they say we're doing X movie in Y year it's not like they're going to get arrested if they shuffle some stuff around.

quote:

FEIGE: We’ve announced the next nine movies, 10 counting Civil War, through the end of 2019. Where we go beyond that are ongoing discussions that we’ll focus on in the next few years because we have a lot to do before then. Of the characters that you’ve just mentioned I would say certainly the one creatively and emotionally that we are most committing to doing is Black Widow.

Sounds to me like they've got a full plate for the next three years and he was specifically talking about the three untitled Marvel movies set in 2020 and beyond.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Inhumans and Cyborg will have full trilogies out before anything from Agents of SHIELD is referenced in an MCU movie.

The Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD are ordinary people with Kree ancestry. Presumably the Inhumans movie would be about the royal family. I doubt they're would be any overlap.

He might count Spider-Man Homecoming as part of the MCU, but I'm still surprised they'd cancel the Inhumans movie. They're pushing the Inhumans pretty hard in the comics as the X-Men Except We Own The Movie Rights.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

As much as I dislike Faraci he reported Doomsday, KGBeast being Lex's henchman, and Wonder Woman's photo being plot points n BvS back in 2014. So he has some kind of source with info.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/13/rumor-time-batman-v-superman-has-a-third-villain

He also uses Latino Review as a a source.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't care about Steppenwolf, but he'd be a fine person to waste the time of the Justice League while Darkseid breaks into Wayne Manor and makes himself at home on the couch.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Well, again, if that rumor of "67 named characters" is true I imagine it'll cost a pretty penny just for casting alone. Also, for just IW parts one and two I really hope they bring in everyone from the MCU - all the Defenders, whoever is a hero on that Agents of Shield show I don't watch, a whole host of new heroes to lead into phase four. Everyone. Just to underscore how important and huge of a threat Thanos is, that the movie ends up wrangling dozens of characters from two different mediums to underscore how desperate things are.

I'll be well impressed if that 67 doesn't include Netflix and ABC.

There has to be a list out there numbering how many total characters we've already seen.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hopefully by making two more fun Snyder movies.

What is fun? Beep boop.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There's two different Novas being talked about. Rich Ryder / Sam are Marvel's and can be in Guardians if they want. I would like a Nova standalone in MCU Cosmic Phase Four.

Frankie Raye was the Herald of Galactus and Johnny's girlfriend. She is very much a part of Fox's FF franchise. I would like a FF to start off the MCU Cosmic Phase Four.

Do it Fox. Sell the rights. Do it.

Heathen fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 16, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Marvel Netflix Phase 2 666.

Moon Knight is a crazy guy who believes in supernatural poo poo.
Blade is a crazy guy who fights supernatural poo poo.
Ghost Rider is crazy supernatural poo poo.
Hellcat marries crazy supernatural poo poo.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Luke Cage is getting a TV show and he has no memorable villains and a single good story about $200. They can find a way to make Blade / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight interesting.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

J2DK posted:

Jubilee was cut completely from the theatrical film? I'm way less interested now :(

Somebody didn't get the memo:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/meet-x-men-apocalypse-breakout-star-lana-condor-222621061.html

Get to Know 18-Year-Old 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Star Lana Condor

quote:

It did not take Lana Condor long to break into the movie biz. The 18-year-old Vietnam-born actress won the prize role of the young pyrotechnic mutant Jubilee in the new superhero sequel X-Men: Apocalypse on her third audition… ever. (After two television auditions, it was her very first time trying out for a film.)

Impressive!

quote:

[Full disclosure: Condor is the daughter of Bob Condor, executive editor of Yahoo Sports.]

:(

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't care for X-Men Apocalypse. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great just completely forgetable. Once again, the highlight was Quicksilver and, once again, entirely too much time was spent on Mystique / Xavier / Magneto.

I look forward to a New Mutants movie with a brand new cast that somehow still revolves around Xavier and Wolverine followed by an X-Force movie headlined by Mystique and Deadpool.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

If Psylocke is the second biggest draw I'm guessing Mystique is number one and Jean is number three.

It did get an A- on CinemaScore so apparently people are happy with it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Aaand people are already upset she's not pretty enough.

Who cares about pretty DOES SHE HAVE BIG BOOBS?

Even after googling her I don't know who she is. Who was she in Scott Pilgrim? I'm not watching 21 Jump Street.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

After more googling I just found out 21 Jump Street made 200M and will be making a sequel that crosses over with Men in Black. Sure. Why not.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are in a Hey, You Watched TV In The Eighties remake and it's funny. And so is the sequel. And A-Force is a good comic.

June has gotten off to a really weird start.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I was just thinking movie wise they could have Carol come in contact with the power gem in some way and gain her powers that way, rather than needing to create an entire story about Kree infiltrators and Yon-Rogg and the psychomagnetron and all that stuff.

I was kinda hoping the Eye of Agamotto would be one.

They can keep the Ms. Marvel origin without getting too comic book-y with it. Changing poo poo wholesale doesn't mean it'll be better. See: all three Fantastic Flop movies.

Aphrodite posted:

Also Marvel military ranks are like Marvel female heights and weights. They're always basically impossible. Nobody under 35 would have her military rank unless they personally saved the world a bunch of times.

Maybe it's like Star Trek ranks where Kirk sat in a chair and is now a Captain. Maybe Carol took a stroll through a helicarrier and sat down somewhere important.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Chaos Hippy posted:

It was the same way when Bleeding Cool originally reported on the split, if I remember right. Rich Johnston really wants Perlmutter to be the good guy, for some reason.

Also for some reason the internet at large wants Perlmutter to be the bad guy. No one has heard his side of the story, but hey, I heard he's tight with money so he must be an all around ominous shitlord.

twistedmentat posted:

Weren't most of Pearlmutter's ideas less about making the movies, good, but making them more suitable for selling action figures? Wasn't he behind the whole "no girl toys" thing?

See! What a shitlord! He doesn't want girls to have toys!

Either that or toy makers have found out that boys age 6-12 have shown an equal amount of interest in playing with action figures while girls start to lose interest around 8. So toy makers have a pretty reliable six year window to make profits off "boy toys" and a two year window to make a profit off "girl toys." It can't possibly be that little girls mature faster and have a more varied interest in things like drawing, coloring or are more aware of their appearance and like to play dress up, wear jewelry and make up. No, its got to be crusty old man sexism.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Whooosh.

(Action figures aren't made for children.)

Neither are comics, but we constantly hear about needing more and more diversity to serve as role models. Role models for who? The thirty year olds that read comics?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

I would happy to see a movie with the new team set up at the end. Minus Mystique that is.

That's how every X-Men movie ends.

"Look at this awesome team we've got! Bet you'd like to see a movie about them!"

And then it's about Xavier and Magneto again.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Race Realists posted:

:goonsay:

you're a loving moron

Cool. Which part do you disagree with?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The real problem is that Superman has a poor group of villains. Lex the human with an inferiority complex, Zod the bad Superman, Bizarro the dumb Superman and Doomsday the death of Superman.

They'll never do a Brainiac movie until they figure out how to squeeze him into the Caped Jesus narrative. It also doesn't help that nerd culture has conditioned us to think green skinned aliens are nymphomaniacs and not kleptomaniacs.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's Sony doing the weird movie, not Marvel. If Marvel was doing it I'd chuckle and say "sure, why not" because they've built up a lot of good will. I haven't liked a Sony comic movie since Spider-Man 2 with Doc Ock.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Saying that Suicide Squad is worse than Fantastic Four is a little misleading. FF is not good but it's definitely not 9% bad. Catwoman is also 9% and it's way worse.

I'd put Fantastic Four with Green Lantern (26) and BvS (27) and if SS is doing 32% then that sounds about right.

What doesn't sound right are the complaints that it's slow and boring. This should be a big dumb movie with sexy bad girls and angry bad mans and large explosions and thin plots. This should be anything but boring.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Oh one last point, did anyone remember the scene where Flagg says to Waller that she should just let him make his own squad. That he'd get "Some Tier 1 operatives and make them into some real Pipe Hitters."
Now I'm not what you would call particularly sensitive to offensive language, but did they really have a US Marine type tell his Black, Female Commanding Office quote Marcel Wallace from Pulp Fiction?
Because that moment had me almost double take in the cinema.

Marsellus Wallace was talking about crackheads.

Flagg was talking about the Pipe Hitters Union.

http://www.pipehittersunion.com

Its a term for private military companies that employ ex-military, special forces and police. They're mercenaries.

Why would Flagg want to take some tier one operatives and turn them into crackheads?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Why would Johns take responsibility for anything? It's all Alan Moore's fault.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I thought I'd seen a lot of Godzilla movies, but it turns out I've only seen a quarter of them. The original, vs King Kong, the two American ones, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, three headed dragon guy and the crocodile/ankylosaur dude.

I also had no idea the bad guys had their own movies before hand. Travis, since you seem pretty knowledgeable could you add the pre-Godzilla movies, too?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you want something a bit more cutting edge, there's always Gamera vs Guiron.

When I was younger I used to watch a lot of MST3K and I could have swore that's where I watched Godzilla, but as it turns out they only did two movies neither of which I remember. Seeing as how that was 20+ years ago I chalked it up to bad memory. Now that you mention Gamera I'm wondering if that's who I'm thinking of. I knew I'd seen more than six giant monster movies as a kid.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The thing about the injured Colonel in armor is that it is so oddly specific. Almost like it was in the first draft and then someone pointed out that scene took place years ago and couldn't be Rhodey.

I never considered Carol for the schizophrenic. I immediately thought of Aurora.

Marvel MCU: Phase Four: Alpha Flight (2020)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

*cough*Inhumans*cough*

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I'm pretty sure Carol didn't make Colonel until after the Air Force. If the movie is while she's still in the Air Force it'd just be Captain anyway.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Same studio already had a FF sequel greenlit with a date before the first was out. They're quick on the trigger and since Deadpool 1 was within spitting distance of Batman AND Superman they're milking this for all its worth.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Petty Vindictiveness sums up BSS pretty well.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Since September.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I look forward to every appearance from now introducing him as Oscar Nominated Deadpool.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Grant DaNasty posted:

If I saw this coming down the street I would think it was Mad Max or somebody from the Terminator future.

It looks like a prototype for Michael Bay's next Transformers.

"And this is Skidmark the Autobot that switches to a Decepticon. His gimmick is that when he laughs too hard he farts oil."

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I'm all but certain they won't be so stupid as to cast an up-and-coming black actress for a lead supporting role and then paint her face white. That would be such an astonishingly dumb move. Especially since they could still give her the darker black eye.

I don't know which I want to see more: regular skin color and painted black oval eye or painted white face and regular skin color oval eye.

Or they could go the Deadshot route. All white mask with oversized black reticle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Her enemy's mom's name is Martha

The island is actually called Marthemyscira.

• Locked thread