Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

If I had somehow never seen Winter Soldier I'm pretty sure I'd have no clue what Bucky's deal was in Civil War.

Honestly, the only movie you really need to see before this is Winter solider. If someone jumps into the third movie in a series blind and can't follow along that's really on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

Spirit of Vengeance is one of the worst movies ever made.

To this day I can't believe I let my friends drag me to see it opening night. Not only was it boring, but they gave away the climax in the trailer.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus christ, I can't believe we're getting more of the same charles/magneto/logan crap instead of jubilee. gently caress this movie.

It's a movie taking place in the 80's and they removed the most 80's character of all time....

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ImpAtom posted:

It's established pretty firmly in Batman Beyond that Barbara and Bruce hooked up and that is what drove Dick Grayson away and at least strongly implied they did it while Dick and Barbara were together. (There's a comic that made that last bit canonical but it isn't in the show so you're free to ignore it.) So yeah, that's in the actual show.

Because of that and Terry being Bruce's sperm jacked son I just prefer to ignore Batman Beyond entirely.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm probably alone on this one, but I'll take the Origins portrayal of Batman over City and Knights any day of the week. He's just a total dick to each and everyone of his allies in the Rocksteady games and never lets up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry, how was the Origins portrayal any different?

Because in Origins Bruce is completely fixated on his war on crime to the point that Alfred almost dies and he realizes that he's been a total rear end in a top hat and maybe he should treat the people in his life like people and not tools for his singular goal. As opposed to every other game where he's just a non-stop dick.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

So he's an extra huge dick for 99% of the game, repeatedly threatening to murder people and generally being a violent psychopath, and then punches Alfred back to life and goes on a quest for revenge. Wow, so much nuance.

And I prefer that to the other games because he actually seemed human at the end. No need to be a smart rear end because we disagree on videogames.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Travis343 posted:

The goof is that The Joker is desperately trying to be scary and intimidating but is actually laughable and pathetic.

Unfortunately nobody making the movie realizes the goof and wants to unironically promote this Joker as scary and intimidating.

#Damaged

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Batman and Superman's costumes have way too much texture on them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Toxxupation posted:

I was super, duper into that JL trailer and then that loving final line Jesus Christ DC let it the gently caress go.

Seriously, stop trying to make Aquaman a badass, it's never going to work.

Aside from that the trailer was pretty decent, but I'm not getting any hopes up for a movie with Zack Snyder at the helm.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've only seen Ezra Miller in Trainwreck, so I was shocked to see how much better he looked here all cleaned up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Can you make it past 5 seconds of this Suicide Squad review video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDPgE29bmU

Saw dudes face and gave up instantly.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ferrule posted:

Hillside? Because I "won" a pass to that movie as well.

As someone who grew up in Hillside, IL I can tell you guys with wasn't worth the trip.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mycot posted:

Several reviews have brought it up mockingly, but can anyone name which superhero/action films had a (does review material count as spoilers?) column of light in the climax? Other than Ghostbusters of course.

I don't mean that as an argument, I have big gaps in my movie viewing and a bad memory.

X-men
Amazing Spider-man

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

At least they stopped putting Wentworth Miller in stuff.

God, I thought I was the only one!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seriously, people don't like Wentworth Miller?

Nope, not at all. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand his Captain Cold and was glad when he left the show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RevKrule posted:

GOOD NEWS! He left Legends of Tomorrow to be a universe regular for ALLLLL CW DC shows.

Fine by me, I'm dropping the Flash all together after this last season and I don't watch those other shows.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rand Brittain posted:

(Like, as far as I can see people have been making fun of DC for being grim and joyless for over a decade now and they still refuse to pivot.)

When exactly did DC as a whole make that poo poo to a darker tone? I remember giving up on Green Lantern books sometime during the SInestro war when characters were getting mutilated all over the place.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Personal feelings aside, Snyder just feels like such an odd choice for a character as bright and optimistic as Superman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

This all comes down to the same argument everything in BSS does: I want the one from my childhood.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the only time I've ever seen Superman the movie was in the mid 80's when I was stuck in the hospital as a kid. I barely even remember it. I just want a good Superman Movie. Hell, I'd settle for an ok movie where Superman isn't a mopey rear end in a top hat.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

TwoPair posted:

SS sounds like it'll be a great movie for me to watch drunk in a few months.

I had no interest in this movie at all (because it looked terrible from the very start, but all the bad reviews actually make me want to see just how bad it is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would this Batman really work in a storyline with a Damian in it? I'm not seeing it.

As obnoxious as Damian is in the recent animated movies, I can only imagine how much worse he'd be in these movies.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Also Jay was just some random rich guy in that episode of the Flash.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shageletic posted:

Spy is a legitimately great comedy. The comedy is on point, and kinda rare for a comedy, so is the plotting/characterization/thematics. Jason Statham was great in it as well.

I really liked Spy until you get to the end and they pull that triple turn out of their asses. It felt like such a cop out.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

WickedHate posted:

It's wild that's the film we got instead of the second one. I don't wanna be all "serious is good, silly kiddy stuff is bad", but the first TMNT movie was the perfect balance of tone and mix of the comics with the cartoons. There's really no other reason for us to not have gotten the overly comical and childish second movie first than a straight up heaven sent miracle.

I still remember how shocked I was to be sitting in a theater at seven years old and hearing a Ninja Turtle curse for the first time. That poo poo blew my young mind. Shame the sequels didn't have anything that made the original movie good.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Based on the later episodes of the cartoons where the turtles stopped using weapons and just threw pies at bad guys.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

The insane thing is that the first season of the show specifically introduced robot ninjas for them to fight, but people (mostly the British) still felt that was too violent, so pies and bursting a pipe to make the water knock over the enemies it was. And then starting halfway through season 3, Mikey wasn't allowed to use his nunchucks anymore because the UK considers that weapon particularly offensive, so he had to use a stupid grappling hook for the rest of the series. Even when season 8 turned the show dark and edgy in response to Batman The Animated Series,

I think it was the day I realized Mikey's nunchucks were never coming back that I just gave up on that show all together.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone who grew up on blaxploitation films I can't think of anyone I'd want less than Tarantino. I mean if you're going to do a 70's style Luke Cage you'd be crazy not to get Scott Sanders.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

catlord posted:

Deathstroke is cool when people aren't trying to make him the coolest guy who can take down the Justice League all by himself and defeat Green Lantern by grabbing his hand and making the ring do what he wants because his willpower is just so strong and all that.

Everything about that fight was terrible and made every league member involved look like a moron.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

Tatum is way too charming and friendly to be in a DC movie

I think he could pull off a great Brave and the Bold style Aquaman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

X-O posted:

Sam Raimi cast a really good Peter and Mary Jane. Just a shame it was five years later and in the roles of Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy instead.

What a missed opportunity on all counts. Tobey's Peter was just a constantly mopey sad sack that I could never get into him in the role. Add to the fact that he and Dunst had negative charisma together.

Also the guy is the worlds ugliest crier.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They had to set up the "Peter Parker's Mum and Dad Shared Cinematic Universe".

The ASM movies acknowledging Peter's mom, that's funny. Did they even say her name at any point?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Thomas Haden Church?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

Haha yeah in what world is Batman known for wearing a different suit all the time.

Besides action figures?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lobok posted:

I'm rewatching Civil War and the part where they over explain Spider-Man's goggles bugs me. Was that the result of them working backwards from "we want his eyes to be animated" to "his eyepieces need to be some kind of tech for them to move" to "gadget eyepieces are needed because he needs them to help him focus"?

It's like two lines of dialogue, maybe three tops.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lobok posted:

I'm glad you spent the time to find that panel so you could show me how much you missed the point.

We all get what you're saying, we're just not bothered by such a quick and harmless line of dialogue.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Karloff posted:

Far as I'm concerned Pepper and Tony is the best romantic subplot in a super-hero film since Reeve's first two Superman pictures (and maybe Mask of the Phantasm).

I really enjoyed how there wasn't this melodramatic love story in the first Iron Man. It was a refreshing change of pace from all the other Superhero movies of that era.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Drax being the sensitive, caring member of the team is the best.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
At one point Spidey says "Hey buddy, I think you dropped this." before flinging a giant billboard at Winter Solider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a really good episode.

• Locked thread