Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

lol if you cant unfocus your eyes on command just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mange Mite posted:

Good luck getting your cable company to do it. And when they do, they will charge you a rental on the cable card

Here's how it went down:
Me: I'm returning this box, I'd like a Cablecard
Cable Co: ok *takes box, gives me a Cablecard*

Just lucky I guess? Not like the regular prices aren't exorbitant enough

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

never trust an elf posted:

I can't do magic eyes :nsamad:

I can kinda do it by crossing my eyes but everything is backwards, the goatse picture on the first page looked like it was reaching outwards

e: specifically the cavernous anus appeared mountain-like

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

You put your nose up to the picture and stare at it and then back away slowly. After a few tries your eyes will automatically unfocus. After learning that, then it becomes automatic without needing to put your face up to it.

Source: 4th grade, looking at a Magic Eye book in the library.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Fight the future

Grandpa

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They should get rid of the motion control and just have a regular controller, and probably make it a sit down experience. That would solve the problem of the gimmick teleporting games and developers would just make real ones where you can look around wherever you want. Basically make King's Field 5 for these things and I'd buy it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

I can kinda do it by crossing my eyes but everything is backwards, the goatse picture on the first page looked like it was reaching outwards

e: specifically the cavernous anus appeared mountain-like

You did it right, that picture is just backwards. It was crafted poorly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nanomashoes posted:

They should get rid of the motion control and just have a regular controller, and probably make it a sit down experience. That would solve the problem of the gimmick teleporting games and developers would just make real ones where you can look around wherever you want. Basically make King's Field 5 for these things and I'd buy it.

It would be cool for turbonerd flight sims and driving games, and that's about it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nuebot posted:

I showed someone a picture of the virtual boy once while claiming it was the oculus and they didn't know any difference. They were just really excited to spend way too much money on something they can't even really use because even just seeing 3D movies in theaters makes them motion sick.

what a genetic dead end

The General
Mar 4, 2007

notZaar posted:

You did it right, that picture is just backwards. It was crafted poorly.

If I cross my eyes and quickly do a magic eye, it's reversed and pops out. If I take the time to do it right, it pops back in like it should.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The General posted:

If I cross my eyes and quickly do a magic eye, it's reversed and pops out. If I take the time to do it right, it pops back in like it should.

I have the same problem with my dick

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

MiracleWhale posted:

I have the same problem with my dick

Yeah? Tell me more.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

focus your eyeballs on something behind your laptop or screen until the two images coming into your eyeballs overlap in the correct way

if crossing your eyes is focusing on things closer to your face, causing your eyeballs to converge on a point between them, what you want to be doing is the opposite, rotating your eyeballs away from eachother as happens when you focus on something in the distance

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I usually semi cross my eyes and it seems to work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As the saying goes, "lol if you want a virtual reality headset for any reason other than 'replacement monitor.'"

I was excited about the Oculus Rift for that very reason, and then I decided to get an HTC Vive once I read that the monitor emulation was like having a 70' movie screen in front of you. Though granted that is not a good option for high-definition gaming.

Sorry if you are too much of a Luddite to understand :smug:

(Most of the games do look terrible though)

(I honestly thought they were mostly going to be free...ahaha at the idea of paying more than like 50¢, let alone $20, for "shoot the floaty polygon for points!!!!! Woooooo!")

Nanomashoes posted:

Some of the games (Elite: Dangerous is the only one I know of but I also am only half-paying attention) are specifically designed as "seated experiences." I am sure you can go that way if you like. Particularly as if the negativity in this thread is correct you will probably be able to buy a used headset for like $100 soon!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe just maybe all this VR poo poo will bring back the cool 'driving/flying a vehicle with guns' games like Mechwarrior and tie fighter and stuff. People might actually buy joysticks again.

Hopefully those games also have TrackIR support because gently caress VR goggles.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm bummed that you can't buy the vive through the steam store itself like you can with the steam controller or link, because I've got over a grand worth of csgo stuff in my inventory and this would be a quick way to liquidate it into real money

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Microwaves Mom posted:

Yeah? Tell me more.

a chick will be like "drat your dick is so short, it almost looks 2d" and I'll be like "what you gotta do is put your face right in it and kinda unfocus your eyes"

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

and they'll be like "I can't get it to work"

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

how long before everyone wears a vr headset while loving their partner so they can pretend they're loving scarjo or one of those twilight guys

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

EvilJoven posted:

like Mechwarrior and tie fighter and stuff. People might actually buy joysticks again.

:awesome:

Brb, going to install some cool poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just don't install the new Mechwarrior F2P game it's bad, basically World of Tanks With Feet.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Just lol at people who can't do magic eyes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

EvilJoven posted:

Just don't install the new Mechwarrior F2P game it's bad, basically World of Tanks With Feet.

Goons used to play the poo poo out of world of tanks. Does it suck now? More importantly does MW Online suck now?

edit: My trigger on the best joystick ever made doesn't work anymore (Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2). :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
for a long time I too thought I couldn't do magic eyes

then I figured out that I was trying to see something amazing that wasn't there. you have to lower your expectations to "substantially less than magic" to see it.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Nanomashoes posted:

Again, this!!! gently caress standing around and flailing your arms.

I want to sit my rear end down in front of my computer and pilot my Battlemech.
I want to sit down and play games in VR with WASD and mouse.
I want to sit down and watch movies in personal IMAX.

If I'd wanted a Wii I'd have bought one.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Klyith posted:

for a long time I too thought I couldn't do magic eyes

then I figured out that I was trying to see something amazing that wasn't there. you have to lower your expectations to "substantially less than magic" to see it.

ahaha this guy still can't do magic eyes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
has anyone said first generation vr and then forgotten the last 30 or 40 years yet

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I was born with a birth defect that makes me unable to do magic eyes. This is true, I had surgery at age 3 just so I could open my eye.
Can you donate to my go fund me so I can hire someone to 3d sculpt magic eyes for me?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i cant do magic eyes. i am failure

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lt dan got blown up in vietnam and got magic legs, maybe you need to shoot your eye out with a red ryder bb gun to get magic eyes

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Nanomashoes posted:

This is literally all the rift has so far, seated experiences

idk how lazy you have to be to play something like brookhaven experiment or budget cuts and want to play an fps again. its very satisfying peeking around a corner and throwing a knife into a robots head and its not even a real game, its just a tech demo. Its like time crisis but extremely visceral

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
someone should start a forum where you have to pass a magic eyes captcha to join

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
it's pretty fun to play, like, fallout 4 & poo poo with the rift. there's a driver that uses the nvidia 3d vision thing and when it's not making me feel like throwing up it's pretty cool

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FormatAmerica posted:

when it's not making me feel like throwing up it's pretty cool

A ringing endorsement.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm looking forward to going to prison for accidentally uppercutting my wife while she's trying to get past me to go to the toilet.

change your name to Virtual Wife Abuser

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Novo posted:

someone should start a forum where you have to pass a magic eyes captcha to join

Can Asians do magic eyes with their slanted-vision ?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Microwaves Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw
$500 dollars
and then 40 bucks for games like this LOL

Remember when some goons were saying that it was gonna be big a few months ago despite all facts being it wouldn't be?

the military is all over vr so you're pretty retarded if you're not buying vr company stock atm

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It'll never stick. Like so much other crap, because at the end of the day, it's just really impractical for our monkey body and our monkey brains, even if you can move beyond the technological limitations, you'll never be able to move past that. Not like this. It's a dead end.

Can't even count the times I've seen VR come and go anymore and always, always, always when that current incarnation is about to die there are always people saying "well ok it won't be mass market but It does have it's niche, it will have it's fans". Nope! Never happens. Give it up folks

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been working on vr stuff for like a year and in a few months I will be a 'founding partner' of a hot new VR company, AMA.

• Locked thread