Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

1. FAQ for people just starting out
2. Quality of Life top tips
3. Mods
4. Is this game any good?
5. What is Civilization?
6. Features
7. Expansion: Rise and Fall
8. Extras
9. Civ 5 corner

Steam store page

1. FAQ

:hist101: Why can't my city bombard? Build walls.
:hist101: How do I add to the production queue? There isn't one (yet).
:hist101: District adjency bonuses: what the gently caress am I doing? Here's a diagram.

2. Quality of Life
:hist101: To skip the logo screens on startup, replace \Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Platforms\Windows\Movies\logos.bk2 with the blank bik file here.
:hist101: For camera-panning hotkeys, yield icon hotkey, faster scrolling, top-edge scrolling fix, and faster tool-tip display click here.
:hist101: To disable autocycle, open My Documents\My Games\Civ VI\UserOptions.txt and set AutoUnitCycle to 0.
:hist101: To make the minimap larger, open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\MinimapPanel.xml and increase the first "256" in "Sampler="Linear" Size="256,256">"
:hist101: To add the Civilopedia to the main menu, follow these instructions.

3. Mods
UI mods: Improved city panel | CQUI (many changes) | More Lenses
AI: AI+
Conversions: Quo's Combined Tweaks

4. Is this game any good?

Thread consensus holds that:

The single player experience as a strategy game is garbage. The AI is abysmally incompetent at both diplomacy and war. The UI leaves much to be desired, with lessons from Civ 5 not having been learned. There are numerous balance issues which leave wide open exploits to gain a significant advantage on the AI. Bugs, even ones introduced in the latest patches, remain unaddressed or even acknowledged by the developer.

The single player experience as a role-playing game is garbage. The AI is psychotically unstable, throwing around baseless insults (and equally baseless compliments) and switching between friendly and hostile for no apparent reason. Also the AI goes to war for no good reason at times when it wouldn't benefit them in the slightest, even if they were somewhat competent at combat (they aren't).

The single player experience as an empire-building game is okay. The game is pretty and the districts allow cities to be somewhat customised.

The multi-player experience as strategy game is good. The network code is generally well-built, allowing long stable games without lag, drop-outs or interruption, and there are no game-breaking bugs or serious balance issues. The main issue at the moment is the delay between Windows and Mac patches, causing hotseat games to come to a standstill while Mac users await their version of the patch.

5. What is Civilization?

Civilization is a series of turn-based strategy games of the 4X genre (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) in which you control a real-world (but not historically accurate) civilization through a 6000 year history, starting in the stone age and ending up in the present era and slightly beyond. The series has developed through five iterations with various spin-offs, with Civilization VI now in development. But you knew all this already because only someone who has played a Civilization game qualifies as a normal human being.

If you haven’t yet played Civilization but wish to obtain that coveted qualification, most people would recommend the vanilla version of Civilization V as a good starting point. General consensus is that Civilization V plus all expansions is the best iteration, but many still have a soft spot for Civilization IV. The games are available on Steam, and be on the look out for %75 off deals which are relatively common for Civilization content, and will become more and more common as we approach release date for Civ 6!

Here’s some representative screenshots of the first five games of the series:

And now... Civilization VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvBf6WBatk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdE0p2joJw

Here is a handy side-by-side that someone made for comparing the art-style between Civ 5 and Civ 6:

6. Features

:hist101: Districts: Perhaps the most significant change in Civ 6 is the introduction of a new concept: Districts. A district acts as a part of a city, and contains some of its buildings – but it takes up a tile by itself, separate to the city. There are 12 kinds of districts and they tend to lump together buildings that do the same thing. For example, the Campus will contain the science buildings: Library, University, and Research lab. The Theatre Square will contain the culture buildings: Amphitheatre, Museum, and Broadcast centre. There are similar districts for each of the other familiar products of city buildings: Faith, Gold, Amenities (formerly Happiness), Production, and unit experience. There are also some special districts like the Aerodrome which can hold planes, and the Spaceport which is necessary for the science victory. Most districts come with potential adjacency bonuses, so careful placement is paramount.

:hist101: Wonders on the map: Another big departure from previous games in the series, wonders now take up a specific tile on the map! This means placement now becomes a factor when choosing to go after a wonder – not just because it will take up a tile and affect adjacency bonuses, but because some wonders also have placement restrictions. The wonders are now beautifully animated, with a frame for every stage of the construction process – meaning you can now see at a glance how close a competitor is to completing one. When completed, you are treated to an on-the-map start-to-finish time-lapse construction animation.

:hist101: New civics system: In Civ 5, civics (or social policies, as they were called) occupied a variety of separate trees, and confer bonuses immediately when unlocked. In Civ 6, they now occupy a single tree, similar to the technology tree. Researching a civic unlocks one or more “Policy cards” which can then be used to form your government, and which confer bonuses. A government can comprise a variety of policies, but each type of government restricts the number and type of policies you can use at any one time. For example, the Classical Republic government provides slots only for 2 economic policy cards, 1 diplomatic, and 1 wildcard. If you want to use a military card, you would need to switch to another government type, like Monarchy. Civics also unlock buildings and diplomatic actions.

:hist101: Research boosts: A bit like miniature Steam achievements, there is a vast number of actions you can perform which will each unlock a boost to a given technology or civic. For example, establishing a trade route will unlock a boost for Currency, allowing you to research it in half the time. Boosts for technologies are known as Eurekas and for civics they are called Inspirations.

:hist101: Partial unit-stacking (sort of): Some units can now be combined! This can take the form of a support unit being combined with a unit of another type to provide a bonus or ability of some kind, or two units of the same type being combined to form a Corps (three to make an Army). For example, an Observation Balloon, when combined with an Artillery, grants that Artillery +1 range. Or two Infantry can be combined to form an Infantry Corps. Corps and armies act as stronger versions of the separate units.

:hist101: Casus Belli: Diplomatic penalties from war-mongering can now be mitigated using a variety of Casus Belli. For example, you can launch a Holy War on a target that has converted one of your cities, or a Liberation War on a target that has captured one of your allies’ cities.

:hist101: AI Agendas: AI players now have agendas, which confers a diplomatic penalty (or advantage) to another civ based on that civ’s actions. Each AI has a unique historical agenda. For example, Cleopatra’s historical agenda, “Queen of the Nile”, causes her to have a positive diplomatic modifier with civs that have a strong military, but a negative modifier for civs that are weak. These agendas can interact between AIs in elaborate ways. In addition to the historical agenda, AIs also have a second agenda randomly chosen from a pool, which remains hidden until you discover it through espionage or deduction.

:hist101: Religious victory: The diplomatic victory has been removed. In its place is the Religious victory, which can be achieved by spreading your religion to become the dominant religion in the majority of the cities in the world.

:hist101: Music: It's awesome, very awesome.

7. Expansion: Rise and Fall

There's a new expansion coming out. I'll type up more poo poo about it later.

8. Extras

You might also enjoy this podcast episode of Three Moves Ahead from May 2016, in which Jon Shafer (Civ 4 expansions, Civ 5) and Soren Johnson (Civ 3, Civ 4) talk about the series, how they approached developing the games and what they learned from their experiences. Long but well worth the listen. This episode from July 2013 is also a good listen, featuring Ed Beach and Dennis Shirk talking about Brave New World, which had just been released.
This episode is about Civ IV, shortly after release.

Also:

9. Civ 5 corner

If you're jonesing for some Civ, you might be interested in:

The Civ 5 thread
The goon steam group - comatose
Enhanced User Interface - UI overhaul mod (does not change gameplay).
Vox Populi (formerly Community Balance Patch) - A project to rebalance the game. Many gameplay changes, including entire new concepts and mechanics.
Anno Domini - Total conversion mod which focuses on the classical era. Feature-packed.

(PM me or post in the thread if you have any extra content for this OP)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Node posted:

1UPT is a great idea on paper. However, it's much easier to make an AI that understands how to use a doomstack. With a complicated game like Civ, 1upt is a recipe for disaster. I hope the AI is improved, but AI in general just has not been a priority in games lately, so my hopes aren't up.

I'd say 1UPT is superb for multi-player though (when turns are sequential). It really adds to the strategy. That said I never had any experience with MP doomstacks - but I enjoyed using the terrain in 1UPT MP.

The AI will always be cripplingly bad at combat, and will therefore need a crutch of some kind, but I had hoped they'd address it by buffing individual units rather than just giving them more units. Carpets of doom were relatively easily kept at bay with a line of fortified troops (because the carpet could only be fed in to battle with a two-unit-deep front-line), but it was just so tedious. If the AI had fewer, more powerful units, the player would have to spend a lot more thought on strategic placements, focus-firing, etc.

I have a worrying feeling that the new, combined arms system may actually make it more complex in a way that the AI ends up struggling even more than it already does.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
By the way I haven't seen this mentioned yet despite how obvious it is from the screenshots - looks like we get sea cliffs now? That could make embarkation a much more interesting affair.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I wonder if units will auto-upgrade or if you'll be able to have ancient ones stick around. Tanks supported by catapults :allears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I stopped checking in with Civ:BE a long time ago but right from the start I remember modders promising a concerted effort to do an alpha centauri total overhaul mod. Did anything come of that?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Harmonia posted:

Civ VI will have less technologies, around 50, but it will be "compensated by some system they can't talk about yet."

There's 81 in Civ V: BNW so that's a pretty significant cut.

Maybe they're going to use some "leaf" system like BE did? Would make sense that they'd borrow some ideas from that game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I really hope for this game is that diplomacy messages don't just randomly pop up and take over your entire screen. That annoys the poo poo out of me in Civ 5.

Yeah those screens are so intrusive. Why must I drop everything and get on the phone just because Napoleon has a snide remark to make about the size of my army? I'm running an empire here, surely I can hire a receptionist to forward all his bullshit to voicemail

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wizgot posted:

Well guys, just saw this thread so I decided to close the other Civ VI thread. I tried.

You actually beat me to it but I didn't notice because I was going off the Civ V thread discussion. Some people might have already subscribed to yours though, wanna put a link in it to this one?

Also I just spotted a post in that thread that I liked:

Tendales posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see territorial borders be a more interesting mechanic. One idea I've been toying with since like Civ4 is the ability to have disputed borders. If two nations both claim some of the same tiles, then they have a border war, which is a smaller scope of conflict than a full on conquest that's the only choice now. Of course, a border war could always escalate if neither side if willing to back down...

This would be amazing and I'd love to see something like this too. My only concern is that the AI, being so poo poo at diplomacy in general, would find this an impossible feature to navigate and either make it frustrating for the player (most likely outcome) or a cakewalk for the player once he figures out how the AI thinks.

But nonetheless I'd love to see them take a stab at it. As a realism nut, I want to be able to simulate disputed territory. It's played a huge part in history and it's a shame that most Civ wars are all-or-nothing. A simple version might go something like this:

* Instead of an automatic border expansion mechanic, you just get to claim whatever tiles you like by spending culture on them
* But any tile can be claimed by anyone, so claims might overlap
* Only one player can work the tile (or get the resources from it), so to exert control you have to station a military unit there
* You can fight over a disputed tile without a declaration of war
* Or you can settle a dispute by including control of the tile in a trade negotiation (which removes - or establishes - your claim for X turns)
* For added complexity you could have other powers recognising claims, which would feed into negotiations. So to take an IRL example if North Korea is all "I claim Yeoncheon as mine" then South Korea can say "well 190 other nations say that's bullshit, so no???" but if it's more polarised than that, a dispute claim costs less to settle.

I can but dream :allears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Unique trait would be some kind of assist mechanic and the rush to buddy him up would be ridiculous.

Isn't it Sweden that gets (and grants) a 10% Great Person generation boost when you buddy up with him? It would be like that, but turned up to 11.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I'm being extremely triggered by those fonts :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Play now my lord *Catherine looks at u seductively*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

"1 unit per tile makes everything more tactical! im too incompetent to handle more than 4 cities, i should be able to complete with anyone who expands beyond that!"

*puts 3 archers on a chokepoint, watches as the ai slam entire army into it, pats self on back for being a strategic genius*

How did you get access to my top secret war documents

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I knocked up a quick comparison graphic. Presented for the haters' consideration:

I provide no further comment :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Has anyone said CiVIlisation yet so that I can drag them out the back of the thread and beat them with a shovel

Get me my shovel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sixilization

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

I do agree that Civ5 was super fun in MP, but you can say the same thing for Civ4. In fact, even more so, there were a ton of Civ4 tactics that a good player could exploit. The combat and management games were much more intertwined. Midgame Civ4 combat, when <snip>

I think I could probably warm to stacks if the UI wasn't so impenetrably texty. I never got a lot of experience with Civ 4 combat as a result, which is a shame because it sounds like it was entertainingly strategic, from what you've said.

I'm curious: what did you make of the espionage mechanic in Civ 4? I could never bear myself to buy espionage points instead of science because all the sabotage moves seemed so incredibly weak. How did it fair in MP?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sanguinia posted:

If there's one thing I'd like to see related to those, its the arrival of Alpha Centauri style Supply Crawlers or something similar that allows you to harvest distant resources for your cities. I've never really been a fan of how crucial the stuff immediately surrounding your city is, especially in comparison to the relative non-importance of terrain. Like yeah, hills and jungles and stuff MATTER, but do they really matter as much as whether or not you've got two Fish and a Marble two squares or less away when you found your Capital? I also never liked that in the late game you might have to build an entire metropolis just to get Oil or whatever when in real life you just build a derrick and then put it on a truck.

Yeah. I would like a simple system of diminishing returns where you can harvest anything regardless of distance, but the further out you go (and more difficult the terrain), the less of it you get (or more it costs you).

Early on, distant sources would have zero or negative ROI but then things like techs, and roads and oil pipelines improve your returns and expand your reach.

E: I think such a thing would bring a lot to the "protecting supply lines" business, although I like what Civ 5 did with trade routes in that regard. (Vvv well apart from that yes. It was a good idea badly implemented, like most of Civ 5 :v:)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 18, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Borsche69 posted:

If someone doesn't find expansion fun, they shouldn't be playing a 4X.

Yeah but the BNW devs were trying to accommodate those people, rather than just discourage expansion outright, and as failboattoottoot mentioned, they failed to do so effectively.

Whether they should be accommodating such people is something you can agree to disagree on

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

majormonotone posted:

equilateral pentagons can't tessellate

I'd play Civ on that.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 18, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Clarste posted:

I wonder if they'll phase workers out entirely. It never really made sense that your average untrained citizens are capable of working the fields and/or mines uninterrupted for centuries, yet are apparently wholly incapable of plowing/digging the first step. And more importantly, it's a really huge hassle as you get later in the game. I've always assumed the reason they existed was mostly to give you something to do early on when you only have a couple of cities and aren't at war, but if the districts can replace that then there's really no need for them.

They also gave players something to capture/liberate, making diplo relations more interesting (a way to grab influence with city states for instance).

In terms of theme, I think the worker represents huge infrastructure projects organised by central government, that otherwise wouldn't be undertaken by the ordinary citizenry trying to get on in life. A villager can't afford to drain a swamp, but will happily work a field (I guess this should go out of the window when Corporations come along, though - only they can marshal enough capital investment to take on a government-sized project)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I think they need to do some specific mechanics for nuclear warfare. As it is, first strikes win every time, which means if you're playing to win you start nuking the moment you get one.

It'd be cool if you could pre-aim your nukes and if someone launches, everyone launches.

Yeah I'd kill for a proper MAD mechanic. Hopefully with this new district system we'll be able to see missile silos move out of cities, too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Civ 5 had a quest system (via city states) and I thought it was brilliant.

The quest system in BE seemed far inferior, but I admit to not having actually played the full game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The historical model for nukes was the first nation to develop them got to use them to devastating effect, once, and then MAD mode takes over as soon as another nation got them soon after. It would be cool if Civ modeled this.

Well that's our history, and that model would be ideal for a balanced game mechanic, but it could easily have gone another way.

It took four years after the bombing of Japan for the Soviets to manufacture their own, and might have taken longer still if Stalin didn't think physics was a bourgeois science not worth bothering with (and if he wasn't convinced to start the Soviet nuclear program by an astute scientist who noticed all the atomic physics papers disappearing from international journals). They also benefited from a uniquely successful espionage program.

But then it would be a poo poo mechanic for a game if it was modelled on America getting the bomb and then just owning everyone. Huge hammer values, plentiful uranium and buffed espionage are kinda necessary to make sure MAD kicks in quickly in Civ, alternate realities be damned.

Edit: restricted delivery systems too. I can't remember how it worked in Civ 5, but if I recall correctly the plane that bombed Japan couldn't take off from a carrier because it needed a much longer runway, which nicely gives the game an excuse to ban you from just sailing your first bombs around the world from day one.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 20, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Cold war style power blocs were what city states were made for! Although the ideology mechanic didn't mesh very neatly with them. Missed opportunity IMO.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^^ only in Civ4 and only in SP I think.

I think genuine power-blocs between playable empires (each playing to win) could work if the mechanic was set up in a very specific fashion, perhaps something like this (which I've given very little thought to): One player establishes a bloc and each subsequent member gets a benefit but with diminishing returns - so the game incentivises players to seek out the smallest bloc which polarises the world quickly. A bit like the ideology system with its early-bird policies. But it should be possible for a city-state to share ally status with the entire bloc, so being in a big powerful bloc that can pool its resources to influence them and start proxy wars would be beneficial, even if you were the last to join and got a lovely membership party-bag at the door.

Of course, a bloc would fall apart when the winning conditions are in sight, but any semblance of historical realism falls apart at that point anyway.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 20, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What if a great general had a number assigned to it, which increases in friendly territory (to a maximum of 100, say) and depletes otherwise, and upon which the combat bonus depends? That could represent supply, like a convoy of grain or truck of ammo.

It's not as simple as tracing a line back, but it would at least allow for a proper expedition (take enough supply up front and you won't need to protect the line) and I think it would be easier for the AI to deal with if the AI had a few basic rules (take empty generals back, send full generals out, always escort generals, increase escort commitment if retreating generals are harassed)

Probably makes less sense to call them generals and ought to be another unit, but that might be unnecessarily complicated

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Eric the Mauve posted:

God, the delay between turns beyond the early game was bad enough with 12+ civs in Civ 5, no thanks to even longer delays.

I think that's what he means by a platform that can handle more Civs - performance improvements as well as it being optional rather than mandatory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I finally listened to that Three Moves Ahead podcast and they (Jon and Soren) do a good job of explaining how Civ 4 was essentially perfect so Civ 5 had to be an experiment in re-inventing things to see where they could take the series. So hopefully Civ 6 will be a very welcome refinement of everything they got wrong in Civ 5.

(said podcast is here: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/civilization-at-25)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Peas and Rice posted:

So builders function like work boats did in Civ 5? That's interesting.

Yeah that's an odd choice. Given builders will be much harder to yoink, I hope there will be some sort of proper slaving mechanic. I liked nabbing workers.

Not sure about roads either - I mean, naturally-occurring roads (in the sense of not government sponsored) makes sense in the early eras, but I would sincerely hope the player is able to build roads directly at some point, ala Rome.

I'm liking everything else though :swoon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jastiger posted:

A lot of Endless Legend in this game which is a ridiculously good thing.

Can you elaborate? I've not played it because the fantasy content doesn't appeal to me, but I'm super curious about the mechanics used in the game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

crossing rivers no longer consumes all actions, what a shame, i liked that from civ5

Actually I think that's still in - towards the very end of the gameplay video, a scout with 3MP has the option of crossing a river into a flat grassland tile but can move no further (not even into a second flat grassland tile). At the start of the video, a builder can... so either there's a builder-specific rule or a scout-specific rule (and I'm guessing the former, because why would the scout be the only unit with restricted movement?)

But.

Throughout the video it looks like you have to have full MP to cross a river (see the horses and scout 30 seconds in).

So you need to end a turn next to a river, and then end a turn crossing it. What a ball-ache that's going to be for players used to Civ 5. However it will give rivers far higher strategic importance so maybe it'll play out well.

I rather hope there will be at least two grades of rivers, giving a nice 'tributary' feel and mixing up the movement restrictions somewhat.

Edit: quoted too much

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can see it as a district building, like the barracks.

In the context of the screenshot it doesn't look like it's anywhere near the city. And I would have thought it would be part of the military base district, with its signature red colouring - but the only red thing there is a windsock. Looks like airbases are in!

Btw Ed Beach did an interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The Qin dynasty probably played the biggest part in the construction of the great wall too, unifying the existing state walls into a single continuous barrier along the north. Given the way that the great wall is now built (tile by tile), I suspect it might be a unique improvement for China, rather than a world wonder? If so, that fits with Qin being the leader (though that's not saying much since it's only the unique ability that tends to fit the leader, not the unique building/improvement/unit)

Edit: actually I'm really curious as to how the great wall works. How do you finish it, and what happens if someone beats you? Do you keep your pieces? Or can anyone build a wall (like in the Warring States scenario in Civ 4?)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 27, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't know why they didn't apply some basic rubber-banding to that mechanism. If they had gone the path of "Buy out a city state, and buying the next one costs more" then city states would have ended up more evenly distributed across the empires regardless of financial power (and two wealthy rivals fighting over a CS could easily be undermined by a less wealthy rival getting in late with their cheapo subsidy)

Then the focus would have shifted more to quests and spies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

John Dough posted:

Can't wait for the day one mod that makes Donald Trump the leader of the US with a wall as special building :v:

Unique building: Luxurious Wall With Big Fat Beautiful Gate (+2 happiness (+4 when autocratic), bankrupts your country)

Edit: this is a rough transcript of quill18 discussing the Wall he built as China:

quote:

Oh one other thing i should talk about since this is the China game here: the Great Wall is not a conventional wonder in Civilization 6 - rather it's something that your builders can actually build. They stand on a tile and rather than build a farm, they build a segment of the Great Wall. Has to be built on the border of your nation but you build it, say, on this tile, then you move your builder to the next tile and build another segment, and that makes a piece of Wall here. And you can keep doing that, and the Wall acts as, apparently it'll act as basically a really good defensive fort like you can park some units in there and get huge defensive bonuses, maybe it screws up enemy movement maybe that sort of thing, it wasn't one of those things I was able to explore [...] if your borders push out later on, it's fine it doesn't disrupt the Wall or anything like that, although if the borders push out too early, then you might not be able to build the Wall in the tile you had intended to [...]

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 27, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Edit: ^^^ Civ 5 citizens consumed 2 food per turn too.

Builders seem a bit pointless to me. You build them, with say, 75 hammers, and then they get 3 improvements before they're gone forever. Why not have the city throw 25 hammers at an improvement directly? Why have this intermediary? Builders don't seem to add anything except the faff of having to move them to the desired locations. I could be persuaded I think, but I'm unconvinced at the moment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Eh, you can train builders earlier who'll construct stuff later. Or you can train people at one city and have them build improvements at another city. I can see uses there, and really having your workers sit around forever after you've built most of your improvements isn't really great design imo. Enslaving workers was fun, but I can't imagine it was WAD that the best strategy was to steal a worker from a city state before you met anybody else.

Okay, some good points, especially one city supporting another with builders, which I had forgotten about.

I guess my problem is that with only 3 charges they won't hang around long enough to be slavable, but otherwise the charge mechanic is pretty good and would solve the issue of late game worker congestion.

As for the city state kidnapping abuse, I feel like that could have been more appropriately addressed by having them actually defend their workers, so you at least have to put up a fight instead of just a "gotcha!" "oi!" "peace?" "ok you can keep it but I'll be gradually less miffed for 60 turns"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
When you see all the exploits in a list like that you kinda realise the game is broken as all hell. I've started playing with that "community balance patch" but I have no idea how far it goes to actually address all the issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's also impossible to say how many more units sold because of the fancy animations and voice acting. You can't say it was a bad investment and a waste of effort when you don't have a control product to compare it to. (All we know is Civ 5 is the best selling Civ of all time, but I reckon that's largely down to digital distribution)

Remember they've gotta market this to the filthy casuals who don't look past the graphics, not just us spergy spergs who want a negotiation simulator and prefer the most extensive animation to be the depression of the "agree to terms" button

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Eric the Mauve posted:

So maybe it's just that the non-technological techs like Philosophy, Drama, etc. were removed from the Technology Tree proper and attached to culture points instead?

It seems like it.

Civ 5 already made a start when it took the forms of government out of the tech tree (Liberalism, Communism and Divine Right to name a few) and stuck them into all these other trees that fed off culture points instead of science.

What Civ 6 is doing doesn't sound that revolutionary (a whole second tree? Pffft, like I wasn't paying attention to eleven trees already) but I do like the sound of the new mix-and-match social policy card system.