Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
None of the AI's yields, or progress in any matter, should be visible to the player

Except via espionage :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If I was a governor I would simply keep changing the current production to a new unit each turn

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's another bad opinion from me: citizen management should be removed.

Let me expand on this bad opinion and make it worse:

The citizens should work whatever tiles they want and if you force them to work other tiles it should cause unhappiness

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phosphine posted:

Apparently it's a lake with freshwater in rise and fall, but coast without in gathering storm. :shrug:

Lake Retcon

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

SCheeseman posted:

This is what I have always wanted out of a Civ game on my phone, the ability to pull my phone from my pocket play a few turns and slip it back all with one hand.

:crossarms:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I often have enough long term plans during a game of Civ that I couldn't possibly brook the idea of "take a few turns then put it away for a while".

However, I can see that being incredibly useful for PBEM MP games. I'm guessing it doesn't support multilayer though?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Well that sounds cool. Might have to see if I can spin up an unciv PBEM with some people.

Meanwhile, that new civ banner is pushing a survey https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7592229/Civ-Community-Survey-Dec-2023

post ur civ bucket list (sadly, no option for "i've never played it but i'm going to, one day")

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Maybe it's alphabetized by leader.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I did think that "factory games" or "colony sims" were notably absent from that list.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol yes that annoyed me too.

Shuffling the answers is great if you want to avoid slight amounts of bias but this survey is definitely not important enough to merit that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've been playing around with an idea for some time now regarding the extraction of resources: the idea is you can assign a citizen to work a tile regardless of how far it is away from your city, but the distance attenuates the amount of resource your city actually collects. So you work an iron mine but if it's five tiles away (and that terrain is all hills and no road) then you lose 80% of the effort in just transporting the stuff, so you end up with a trickle.

Obviously you've got to exert control of the tile (and the path back to the city) somehow too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway, my biggest wishlist item of all is non-renewable resources that can be depleted, including forest

Gimme that and I'll tolerate a lot of poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh yeah I'm sure they'd implement it terribly, if they did.

But i think there's value in a mechanic where you have to weigh up long term sustainability that'll take you into the end game, against gaining a short term advantage that gives you an early game edge

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Isn't that what chops are meant to be

Huh I suppose it is. I guess I'd want to see that concept fleshed out a bit more.

Basically I want to see the game being able to model this

However I'm very aware that my desire to see Civ as "less game" and "more history simulator" is solidly in the minority

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing is when you clear a coastal barb camp and then all the galleys that were hiding in the fog go and loving destroy your nearest coastal city.

Eye for an eye :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Me too. Then I also restart if I don't have any neighbours near enough to share a fun border, and I also restart if I lose a particularly good settling spot to a rival

It's a miracle I've ever actually finished a game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Serephina posted:

a double-sided sword

:laugh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I guess it's a matter of taste but those are my favourite kind of games. I love that sort of geopolitical challenge where I have to go conquer somewhere, settle a far off colony, or envoy the poo poo out of a city state just for the sake of getting strategics

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah. Capturing that magic in into second half of the game remains elusive. It feels like there isn't quite enough puzzle solving to keep it interesting and fun (or too much tedium to detract from what puzzle solving there is). And it somehow needs to remain competitive to keep the player on the edge of his seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mymla posted:

I don't abandon games and restart when it happens, but I do agree that the game gets a lot less fun right around the time you build your first factory. The game is won at that point, getting to the end is more or less just a formality, a formality that takes like a hundred turns still. I think I might like a game like civ that just stretches out the ancient, classical and maybe medieval eras into a full length game with victory conditions, but idk if one exists. I guess going for a religious victory is kind of that, but religious victories suck rear end to play because they're just domination with weird lovely rules and only 3 unit types.

You could crank the game speed down to marathon and then, at the end of the medieval era, if you have certain metrics you can use to determine when actually winning is just a formality, declare it won there and then. Would be interesting to brainstorm some such metrics actually.