Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Canada and Australia are already in the game, as England. Although an independence mechanic could be interesting.

Does that mean we should remove America, too, since England's already in?

(Just to clarify, I don't think we need a Canadian civilization either but this is a really bad argument against it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fister Roboto posted:

The US isn't part of the British Commonwealth.

India is, though the Queen is not their monarch anymore.

The Commonwealth of Nations (it hasn't been the British Commonwealth since 1947) contains members who were never part of the British Empire and the Queen isn't the monarch of the majority of the countries in it. She is the titular and ceremonial monarch of Canada but Canada is independent of the British parliament.

I don't actually think Civilization should remove the American civilization or that Canada needs a civ, but claiming that Canada is part of England is ludicrous.

edit: vvvv no demand for it here, just don't call us British.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 17, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In the context of a game of Civ, Australia and Canada are settlers sent out to newly discovered land masses by England and France players.

The Norse got there first but their colony got eaten when they popped a goodie hut too early.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Grinning Goblin posted:

Poor kids will never experience the Ultimate Fanfic Crossover Circle Jerk that was the Fall From Heaven mods.

FFH2 was amazing and I should play it again.

ed: Are there any total conversion fantasy mods for Civ5?

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 18, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's only so many iconic Egyptian leaders. Hatty, Rameses, and Cleo are by far the most famous, so it's no surprise that they cycle through them routinely.

Much as I would have enjoyed the resulting flamewars, there's no way they would've used Obama for the American civ. I think the most recent leader ever used for any civ was Stalin, with FDR/Gandhi as close seconds. The devs want at least a generation or two to have passed before they'll use a leader; it's just too contentious otherwise.

Also, Obama is alive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sarmhan posted:

Better off using Hadrian if you want a defensive, cultural Rome, since he did a ton of building projects and cultural stuff.

'Walls of Babylon were chump change, really.'

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Aerdan posted:

...Come up with 43 alternate leaders, one per Civ5 civilization, then, and UAs for each. You can't use fictional leaders, you can't pull leaders from other civilizations unless they're part of the conglomerate (so no non-British Celtic leaders, for instance), and you certainly can't use prominent people who weren't widely-recognized champions of a national identity for the civilization.

(...am I missing anything that would bar an existing leader, aside from e.g. Dido?)

They have to be not alive.

Also you can't use Hitler.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Aerdan posted:

...Or Mao or Stalin...

Both Mao and Stalin were in Civ4 actually.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

And also for a bit in real life

Doing better than Dido then.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

StashAugustine posted:

Can't get Youtube, what're her abilities?

A buff to archaeology by British Museum, the unit Sea Dogs which can 'bully weaker naval units and capture enemy ships', Redcoats which fight better off their capital's continent and can disembark for no movement, and the district Royal Navy Dockyards which gives bonus movement for ships built there, bonus gold from dockyards on other continents, and Great Admiral points.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd support this.

Also, I'm curious as to who the Modern Era Great Prophets are

Joseph Smith is probably a little early for modern, but only a little.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xerxes17 posted:

Canada ahould be a city state imho.

Toronto is.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PirateBob posted:

Why does the game look like cartoony crap :confused:

It doesn't though?

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 16, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hogama posted:

One more dev stream before launch, tomorrow. Dunno the extent of new material they'll have over the Youtube gang (besides Gorgo), but they are at least sure to have the latest build.
And it probably won't matter if they open the Civilopedia this time!

I misread that for a moment and was like 'holy poo poo launch is tomorrow??'

And then reality sunk in.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Lord Bude posted:

I still think baba yetu should have been one of the great works of music in civ V.

They speak Swahili in Kongo right? They should make it the Kongo theme.

They speak Kikongo (and Portuguese) in Kongo.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Will VPN shenanigans get you in hot water with Valve? It's fall break and I aint doing poo poo Thursday. It's so tempting.

They will absolutely go after you if you violate regional pricing.

They don't seem to care about unlocking stuff so much, as I've done it a couple times.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The worst part about all the civs being so interesting is that I have no idea who I want to play first.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

Well, there is always a random button.

I've never used it in my first game before, but at this rate I may have to.

That said, I really like the amount of Civ differentiation they've got here, with the different abilities really changing what you want to do (and, for AI, what they want to do).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So, who's everyone gonna play first? I'm waffling between France and Congo personally

I can't decide. Maybe Arabia or India and try pushing religion.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder about the Eureka bonus, because in the video their bonus was half of a tech/civic, but that's what every civ was getting in the press release. The press release came out two months after the China video though so it could have been a bug or it could have been changed. I kind of hope it was bugged though because getting half of a research seemed like it was way too much (and was probably why so many streamers were able to fly ahead in tech so fast).

A Chinese site I found with rather up-to-date examples of everything claims that most civs do indeed get a 50% reduction in required science to research when they Eureka; China gets 60%.

Whether this is what it is when it goes live, I can't say.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Randarkman posted:

Iran is not a modern name. Iran is what Iranians have called the country and the empires of that country for more than two thousand years. Persia is a region in Iran and Persians but an ethnic group.

Specifically, it's the Greeks who called it Persia (well, Persis) as a whole and it stuck around. Iran, Iranzamin (very old) and Iranshahr/Eranshahr (Sassanid-era) are more names for it. It really isn't new.

It will probably never be called anything but Persia in Civ though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Olive Branch posted:

Which Civ game would be the best for good AI, Civ 4?

No Civ game had particularly good AI, but doomstacks play to the military AI's strengths (overwhelming production) rather than its weakness (moving things around in a sensible manner without taking forever to calculate), so it was less obvious. Or necessary, if you look at it that way; it was Good Enough for what it needed to do.

That said, I'm bad enough at the game that I play on Prince anyhow (or whatever the middle difficulty is, I don't remember) so it's not going to matter to me. :v: I get fun games out of it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So, uh, Arabia.

Saladin's religion has 1/10th cost holy buildings for everyone who wants to build one. Talk about an incentive to spread his religion. I don't remember that bonus from Well of Souls.

Also he gets science for every foreign city following his religion, so that's nice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
OK last time I randomly post.

The Dead Sea provides fresh water.

I think Firaxis is a little confused as to what fresh water is.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
While being a good peaceful Arabia trying to build up some science and faith, I got attacked and steamrolled by a Tomyris who had just open-bordered with Japan, and was smart enough to bring her horses through Japan's territory instead of trying to jam them through the one-tile-wide mountain pass much closer to her that I had units near but not quite blocking yet.

So many horses.

A+, would lose again to Tomyris blitz.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So far it seems like the people who booted up a non war focused civ and try to play like civ v have been having some trouble. I probably would have been flattened by Gorgo if I wasn't spamming Eagle Warriors, which are fantastic.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me, yeah. I had an army, but it wasn't nearly as big as hers was; I had three cities, but two were fairly small as they hadn't been founded for long, and was suzerain of two city-states, while she had just conquered three city-states that I saw (and I couldn't see all of her territory) and had a couple founded cities also. I'd assumed that the terrain would slow her down if she wanted to invade, but I hadn't taken into account her making friends with Japan.

It was a surprise. That AI is not at all as passive as the stream made it look.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

quadrophrenic posted:

Does anyone know if there's a "show yields" button somewhere? I'm so used to having this on in civ v that it's a little jarring for me not to have it here

Yeah, it's under map settings on the buttons over by the minimap. Not lenses, the one next to it.

(I think. It might be two over, I'm taking a break.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
"I can engage in this war without sacrificing morals. Don't ask me how; you wouldn't understand."

Gandhi has reached a whole new level of rear end in a top hat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Decius posted:

It doesn't put my taskbar to the background though, making it unusable for me.

Right-click Civ6 on the taskbar, then click back into Civ6. (You don't need to pick any option that comes from right-clicking Civ6 in the taskbar.)

Don't know why but sometimes games in fullscreen windowed get stuck. That fixes it for me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

There are no more great prophets left, there's only enough for about six religions.

Also once you've got one, you don't need another for any purpose, so no need to keep it at that point. (Additional religion bonuses from from... Apostles I think? Not Great Prophets, anyhow.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanfy posted:

To my knowledge there are no "holy cities" in VI, if you can't hold on to your religion and nobody else will spread it either then as far as I can tell it's gone for good. Always keep some inquisitors handy for a rainy day.

I don't know how it works exactly, but they do at least exist for pressure because Jerusalem's city-state power is to immediately convert to your religion and exert pressure as if it was a second Holy City.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, if FFH2 is impressive to you guys, y'all should see Master of Mana. A mod of a mod of a mod. It might be the most impressive modding effort I've ever seen in my life, and I played a lot of Civ 4 and Doom.

Where's the place to get Master of Mana nowadays? Their web site appears to be gone.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/master-of-mana-xtended.542512/ I still keep this bookmarked in the hope that esvath comes back to keep working on it, haha.

Thanks!

I've downloaded it and the extended stuff but I'm not sure how to install it. The installer puts it in c:\mods\master of mana - should I be redirecting this to my Civ4 installation?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

Umm, yes, I think so. More precisely, the BTS mod folder inside the main game directory and BTS directory. It should have its own subfolder inside it. Failing that, try using the mods folder inside My Documents.

I got it in the mods folder inside My Documents, and it shows up in Mods in Civ4 BTS, but I get about a billion XML errors with stuff like 'Tag: SPELLRESEARCH_HOPE in info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: xml/Units/Civ4Manaschoolinfos.xml'. It goes on for a while. I had to close the program in Task Manager.

Man, I forgot how hard it was to get mods to work before the days of Steam integration. I'll have to take another look at it later. I probably installed the original Master of Mana wrong somehow.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 30, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Are there any neat mods for BE? I know it's on the Workshop and I found some interesting-looking ones on affinities and such but I don't know if any are worth poking into.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanfy posted:

Another reason why Fall From Heaven 2 remains the best civ game.

I really gotta give getting it working another shot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Glumslinger posted:

Started a game today and I spawned near Mt Kilimanjaro, and with the other tiles around it I decide to go for an early religion rather build up my army. Well Norway decides to send his troops over to invade, and when he has them near my capital, Kilimanjaro erupts and wipes out half of his army :lol:

Kilimanjaro? More like Killamanjaro!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John F Bennett posted:

You can activate tooltips by pressing the 'options' button on the Xbox Series version while you have something selected.

But I agree, it plays great on console. And this coming from someone that has been playing Civ since the early 90's. Only thing is the absence of mods, which is kind of a big thing. But I actually prefer playing the game with a controller.

Do you know if you can install Steam Workshop mods to play Civ 6 with a controller on the Steam Deck? Never tried. Might have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John F Bennett posted:

I don't know much about the Steam Deck but I would imagine you'd still be moving around a mouse cursor, right? The console interface is really well done, you're not really pointing and clicking anymore. It's all shortcuts now.

Yes, but I already own it on Steam and do not own it on PS4.