Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Civ VI is humanity's perspective from Black & White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

I like vamps for domination (obvious) or science victory (for the extra production in a single city). Owls are great for cultural or diplomatic victory. Voidsingers is great for science or culture victory if you've got a ton of faith generation, and obviously is the go-to choice for religious victory. Hermetic are good for mostly science or culture, but only if you've got leylines in good spots, which means they're a big ol' crapshoot, so I never take them. You can sort of hedge bets though - leylines can't be on floodplains, features (aka woods/rainforest), or resources, so you can at least look and see how much potential you have for leylines; they tend to be in the tundra and desert more than other places because of this.

I'm currently playing a game as Arabia on the True Start Mediterranean map, and I ate Cleopatra on turn 2, and holy moly I have probably a hundred ley lines... It's absurd. This game is so broken in such a fun way.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

RNG really hates my starting positions, either as i mentioned, i'm either right next or on tundra, or i have 5 other civs starting right next to me even on a HUGE map. 12 civs, 7 of them within 24 hexs of my starting spot.

Also Hermetic Order the lamest secret society? Either I go with the Owls or the :cthulhu: depending on which I get first. Though Kubla Khan China is pretty OP with the owls because that means you have 3 trade civics right off the bat.

I had one of my easiest victories by playing Arabia on the Mediterranean TSL map. The entire African continent was left alone to me (after I ate Cleopatra's first settler) and it had an insane number of ley lines. I would lay down a new city and it'd already be pumping out 50 science/faith/production on the turn it was founded.

edit: Add that with the Desert Folklore pantheon and the faith bonus that turns holy site adjacency into production :fap:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

resting bort face posted:

Apologies, I know these kinds of questions must get tedious, but is there any reason I can't build Kyoto's industrial zone on the hex I've pinned with the +9 bonus? I made sure it belongs to Kyoto so that's not the problem.

Cities will always own the tiles that are directly adjacent. So Kyoto will never own that +9 zone, it has to belong to Nagano.

The exceptions to the above rule:
-If cities are built on a foreign border
-If a different city builds a wonder on a neighboring tile before the new city is founded

edit: I just saw the second +9... in which case you probably have not researched how to chop rainforest yet.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

World Famous W posted:

Can be. The odds decrease the more civs get them. You can always learn about one's you missed from civs that belong to them by increasing diplomatic visibility to some high level. Can't remember which level though

Alliances will also grant them if the other civ has it as their society.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I get the most wins out of Pachacuti, assuming I get a half-decent start. Working mountains is great, but you also get a ton of natural defense out of them. Lautoro might be the biggest surprise to me for how fun they ended up being.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I started a game as the Maya and wanted to build tall and remain mostly peaceful.

I explored to the left, and found the Matterhorn.

Then I explored to the right, and found the Giant's Causeway.

Oh well, here I go murdering again.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

When I play with barb clans, I reduce the starting city-states to about half of the normal number for a given map size. You still end up with too many city states sometimes but it helps a lot.

I always put it to just one starting city state. It keeps the starting area much more clear and open.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Play New World as Eleanor. Max out the number of civs.

Lose from loyalty in the first 10 turns because Rome started next to you and has higher population output.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If we're being honest the mistake was taking hermetic order to begin with.

:wrong: Hermetic Order is great if you are playing a civ that has desert or plains preference, since you'll most likely spawn in an area with no mountain adjacency. And Ley Lines happen to spawn in areas with no other features, so it can turn a crappy continent into a powerhouse. Japan with Hermetic Order can get some absolutely game breaking adjacency bonuses.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

100% of the time I take hermetic I throw myself under the bus founding cities in lovely places to get those adjacency bonuses, then half a lifetime later the second tier finally drops and I'm like... this building sucks, this was in no way worth it.

edit: I mean, it drat well struggles to be a positive sometimes with awkward city placement, when meanwhile the other societies have +1 econ slot, unkillable super-unit, and auto-win at religion.

Mansa Musa in a huge desert with Ley Lines surrounding a natural wonder is bonkers. Sure, you can get steamrolled in the first few eras.... but after that it's gravy

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
It'd be cool if instead of districts you had to place zones kinda like Sim City. Early game they might start out as residential / commercial / agricultural and as you progress through the game you could zone for more specific things like research campuses. Zones would only grow if there was enough city pop to fill in the job slots.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I've come to embrace barbarians and almost always turn on Barbarian Clans Mode. The AI cannot handle it, so it keeps them weaker.

PotatoMcWhiskey is in the middle of a playthrough as the updated Rome which gets huge bonuses from barbarians. It's a hoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTNOz6a7mc

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

khwarezm posted:

Speaking of Caesar, I'm generally a big fan of the game's art style in spite of other people's disdain for it, I think most of the leaders look great, but even I have to admit that the leader pass additions really seem off to me and just do not look good. Caesar and Ramesses get it the worst, I just cringe looking at them and their weird proportions and awkward animations.

Nothing can measure up to my boy Kupe.

I think Caesar and Ramses are closer to how the style was originally before it was changed after popular demand.

If you don't know:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Culture victories are one of the easiest wins, and most people who don't know how to play (obviously on King difficulty or lower) will eventually stumble into culture victories just by playing long enough and building wonders.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I went ahead and beat the monthly scenario. It was easy and pretty chill, but also kinda boring without all the bells and whistles that the DLC has added to the game. It was neat to play the vanilla version, if just to see the difference. No barbarians and being on a separate island meant that I didn't build a single military unit, and used builders to scout. I spent the first half of the game expanding onto my own island, and then onto a few others for the luxuries, and then pivoted to spamming seaside resorts, which let me win about 20 turns after I started building them. I wanted to make a bunch of national parks, but the vanilla naturalists are so expensive (and I didn't have a religion) that I was only able to make one park the whole game. There's also a great location for a Chicken Pizza city, which gave me phenomenal culture, which eventually turned into tourism.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Microplastics posted:

I see my main menu has been besmirched by a horrible banner

i wouldn't mind if it was useful information but do I really have to "learn more" about playing as a leader? kinda feel like that's already an well established part of the game

It’s a placeholder to put in ads for Civ VII

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Tall gameplay should be discouraged and even penalized.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Civ 6 isn’t cartoony enough

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Assuming you’re playing 6, culture victories are when you have the most tourism over a certain threshold. That threshold changes depending on the influence of other civs, because they also are taking in your tourists. Getting high culture is important because it unlocks cards and buildings that have the opportunity to get you more tourists, and generally you don’t start really earning them until halfway into the game, but once you start steamrolling it gets exponential. Generally you want open borders and trade routes with everyone because that makes receiving tourists easier. When I first started winning games I would play into later eras and accidentally win culture victories while I was aiming at science because my civs would become dominant and I’d be trading a lot and making friends. Part of the reason a score victory is so hard/rare is because by the end of the game your civ is probably covering half the map and naturally has a ton of influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah Maya gets +10% to all yields for cities within 6 tiles of the capitol. Ideally you can squeeze 12 cities into a large hex like this:

But usually terrain gets in the way. In my case I only had a bit of ocean in the southwest and a city state in the southeast, so after taking out the CS I was able to get 11 cities up.

You can also cover 10 cities with the Colosseum with this, which is gonna give you some crazy production bonuses.