Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Lord Bude posted:

I would be astounded if a significant percentage of the playerbase ever played civ multiplayer though. Multiplayer civ is horrible - it always becomes a rush to see who can fart out units as quickly as possible and win by conquest as quickly as possible - usually by the end of the classical era. It completely warps the game.

And as for single player, the answer is to make the AI better. Marching a couple of doom stacks around the map is an incredibly boring experience.

Civ 4 came out over 10 years ago. I would hope that if doomstacks are back, the AI will know how to deal with them now. Because yeah, against a human, doomstacks just become target practice for siege weapons that hit like 6 units at once without taking any damage themselves. And since trebs were so good at taking cities, you always had plenty of them sitting around for wiping out enemy stacks. Imagine rolling up to a city and the AI doing that to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Civ IV was so good it won a Grammy

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I do the opposite, and add more city states and civilizations than the map size suggests. It makes the world a bit more alive and ultimately results in less micromanaging because you only have room for a handful of cities instead of like the 12+ you can have on whatever land you stake out on a standard setting.

On Standard, the map appears to have enough space for about 10 Civs, but the default is 8. The AI also is really bad at settling unclaimed land later in the game, and basically incapable of settling islands that aren’t touching their empire. If you don’t adjust the settings to add more Civs, it doesn’t feel right.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Staltran posted:

Why does cultural victory take longer with more civs?

Culture victory requires things that are harder to achieve with more Civs. The easiest path is founding a religion, getting Mont St. Michel, St. Basil’s Cathedral, and Cristo Redentor. That is harder to pull off on higher difficulties or with more Civs on the map.

You also run into the problem with more Civs where you might have too many people ahead of you to effectively target with Rock Bands. You can overcome 1-2 Civs with Rock Bands, but maybe not 3-4.

Also with more Civs you are more likely to run into a problematic Civ like France, Brazil, or Kongo who can block your culture victory.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
What are some good settings that people use? I found standard settings gives you too much space. On standard with 8 Civs, I found that a lot of times I have too comfortable of an area. Like, I find mountain ranges and city-state buffer areas sometimes mean that I can avoid my neighbors and settle 10+ cities before I feel the need to war. I usually end up bypassing the entire ancient and classical eras without doing much aside from setting up my eventual win. I usually up the number of Civs by 1-2, just to also give me better odds of finding someone else who bothered to dig up artifacts. Then I saw another goon say he plays on Huge maps with only 8 Civs, so I wonder if we are even playing the same game at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are you playing on deity?

I am playing on Emperor, so the AI still gets a strong starting bonus. I haven't brought myself to moving up in difficulty because I have only won 5-6 games on Emperor, but I think I will move up a level soon.

The first time I started playing on this difficulty the AI attacked me a lot, but I have figured out how to maneuver around the early diplomacy stages and how to make my border cities less inviting. In the game I am playing now, my half of the continent was divided by a long mountain range with only a one hex gap to the West (covered by a conveniently placed city-state), and a larger gap to the East. I stuck a city in that gap 7 hexes away from the capital of my neighbor (so no city could be founded in between us) and bought all the tiles I needed to prevent any other settlements from encroaching on my border. That was turn 50. The AI never made an attempt to attack me, and I spent all the way up until the Atomic era settling my continent peacefully (which is kind of boring).

I'm wondering if I just need to up the number of Civs even higher. The AI definitely wars with itself, but aside from early on I never feel threatened.