Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe it's because i'm still new and what not. But i'm playing on the easiest difficulty just learning the ropes, and barbarians are a super loving annoying menace even on "settler" difficulty. This game already seems at least as deep as post expansion Civ V as well. I like it so far! And I don't want to turn off barbs because otherwise I won't get good at beating them. I just didn't expect the AI to be this aggresive on the lowest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do barbs even do anything, like raging barbarians in the past would despoil and destroy your cities, tear up your roads, and murder your units to gank your settlers.

The only thing I've seen them attack are districts and that's why you put a unit on top of them. There are a lot of them but they won't do any actual damage, which is good for experience farming
My very first game had barbs pillaging my farms and murdered a trader as soon as it left the city.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm the only one that maintains a custom Best Of Civ playlist and plays it in winamp with the in-game music off, then?

People still use Winamp?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is there a deficiency of winamp I'm not aware of?

I'm sure it's fine, just haven't heard it mentioned in IT circles since I was using it in the 90s.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tahirovic posted:

Since I am bored with current games I wanted to play some original Civilization but it's not on GOG. Anyone got a legal source for a copy of the game, preferably bundled with dosbox already or an other setup for modern Windows versions?

Edit: It's actually free on abandonware, no wonder I can't find a place to buy it.

I went on eBay and ordered the Civilization Chronicles which is a box set that has the first four games on CD with paper tech trees/reference cards and a making of DVD.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So how is Rise and Fall compared with fully expanded Civ V? I’m not a good player and never play above prince so “dumb ai” isn’t a thing I care about. I just like having lots of options and poo poo to do when I play and Brave New World hit a good balance in every turn having a few meaningful activities.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One change I’ve noticed so far that I love is that map edge scrolling works the way you’d expect. I can’t remember exactly what made it so fucky before but it finally feels smooth and responsive. Was that in a latch?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any way, without mods, to get to a point where you can simulate some kind of post-apocalyptic dark age? Maybe everyone nukes each other, loses all but two cities and is back to slingers and poo poo? My playtime is oscillating between Fallout 2 and this and I want to see them merged.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just started a “true starting positions earth map” and selected random leaders. Wound up as Pericles with Alex one tile over. First then I took his settler with my warrior and he’s out of the game. This should be interesting!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else feel that Poland should have a great work called “The Witcher?” I do.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrandpaPants posted:

Only if Japan can have anime.

Good idea! Japan’s UU is a teenage girl who can use Personas/Pokémon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone else think it's weird that you can always tell the loyalty of other cities that aren't in your empire? I've got cities around me falling in loyalty left and right, and as soon as they become "free" I swoop in and snatch them, with NO penalty and the parent civ is still all smiles. I mean, I like this mechanic because I liked it in Civ 3 and 4, but I'm not sure if I think it should have more consequences attached. Rival civs don't even seem to get upset about you having an "influence" over their civ's culture; at least not that I've seen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've also decided that Civ V has the best game narrator/voice over. I like the novelty of Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean, but the other dude's delivery sounded like an old sage who'd actually studied and chronicled the rise and fall of civilizations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So now that Rise and Fall is out, we can begin speculating on what (if there is one) the second expansion will be. We already have spies, trade routes, religion, and all the extra poo poo from R and F, so what's missing? I'm thinking we could/should have maybe a stronger/more detailed game over air and sea. Civilization VI: Ocean and Sky. You're welcome.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To be honest, and I know it’s a dead horse and they’d never get away with it, but I’d be all over paying $30 for more robust AI and UI alone. As a game, Civ VI is pretty well rounded and fun to play. At least for me; I rarely play above Prince and I’m not a min/maxer.

Or maybe move combat into its own screen so the AI has a chance, like Age of Wonders.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been pondering an earlier comment I made and now I'm going to defend it. If we continue with 1UPT, which I like, I think Firaxis should move combat to its own screen. It'd be a lot easier to make the AI seem competent in this manner, rather than fighting on the world map. Age of Wonders 3 does this pretty well, even though it allows unit stacking. But the same system would work. If you engage in combat with a unit and have other units in a flanking position, or the enemy is backed by range, all those units appear on the smaller map that allows for a more turn based/tactical play-out. These are the guys who did Xcom; they CAN do turn based tactical combat, and do it well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Poil posted:

I always hated it because one AI would go full ham on city states (predictably the one who built the forbidden palace) and dictate everything. Usually banning every luxury resource one by one.

Now that you can’t buy out city states with gold, that should now be easier to deal with.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

markus_cz posted:

The end game definitely needs shaking up. They could use global warming, overpopulation, pollution, insane AI and other future catastrophes to create a sense of impending doom... as the game progresses more and more into the future, the world is slowly doing to hell and you have a limited time to complete a victory. They won't do this, though, because they're trying very hard for Civ to have this optimistic feel to it.

I’ve said before, maybe in this thread, that it’d be awesome to have an optional post-apocalyptic age where you have a mix of old and new technologies, broken communication and trade, and blasted landscapes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

At what difficulty does the computer start getting advantages? Is it still anything above prince?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Human Crouton posted:

If anyone is interested; I have added four more very simple mods in my endless quest to make this game some kind of fun.

Here are four mods that each remove one stupid micromanagement natural wonder that you have to walk every unit in your empire to get promotions that are invisible.

Remove Matterhorn
Remove Lysefjorden
Remove Giant's Causeway
Remove Everest

So how do you get the promotions now? Are the promotions from these wonders removed?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm blessed that I'm not a good enough CIV player to really worry about the lovely AI. All the games are fun little turn-based country builders and the highest difficulty I can reliably beat is King. And sometimes then things get hairy enough that I have to concentrate. I've never really peeled back the mechanics of the game and just kinda worry about what I think sounds neat and useful with regards to buildings and units and tech. That said, I do slightly prefer fully patched V over where VI is now for no other reason than it has a prettier aesthetic and has a nicer interface. But I like Civ VI too!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any news or peep on if/when we’re getting a second expansion? That’s been the CIV way since 3 and I want more stuff to do and nations to do it with.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

skooma512 posted:

How should I be expanding? I'm still used to 5 where I only ever had 4 cities around for most of the game.

Is there a certain turn I should be aiming get my second city?

My rule of thumb is to make your initial expansion plan by grabbing up all the luxury/strategic resources in reach and build up from there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nothing will beat the dude who narrates Civ V. I love that dudes voice. That dude has a nice voice. Nice voice dude!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is SMAX?

It’s a new cereal: Sid Meier’s Frosted Sugar Smax.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still play Beyond every so often and never understood all the hate. Or all the hate on Civ 5 and 6. All three are entertaining empire building games with a bit of an emergent narrative. I’m not an expert player though and never play beyond King or Prince, but still I enjoy myself. Also BE is a very pretty game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I usually avoid combat in such games when I can. I build a decent enough standing army so the enemy computer AI doesn't auto-target me, then I just merrily tech up and grab victories rooted in culture or diplomacy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This must be that Vesuvius thing again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The file name suggests something with acronym GS, possibly G&S

Civ 6: Global Shitstorms

Civilization 6: Gods and Sausages

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Weirdly I never missed the build queue. I rarely queued things up in the earlier games because I wanted to see where I was in the moment something finished before deciding. I’m afraid if I queue stuff up, I’ll forget what that city was doing and if I need something right now I won’t use that city to build it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm generally in the same boat, right up until the point where I'm e.g. in a science victory endgame and have to manually tell every city to repeat science projects every 3-5 turns.

Yea, projects like that are one of the few times I’d bother with a build queue. I never even noticed it was missing until this thread pointed it out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope there’s a new Civ thats main play style is one city and then capturing the city state’s like that one in Civ V. Which was that? Venice?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PhantomZero posted:

Has there been any discussion of a Civ6 SDK? I recall the Civ5 SDK being released after the third expansion, should we expect something similar or nah?

What 3rd expansion? Civ V only had two expansions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

turboraton posted:

Aight I'll be 100% honest here. I'm ULTRA happy that the Incas are finally IN baby (I'm Peruvian for those you don't know). And somehow ALL your incesant bitching about "waaaahh white history this" "waaaaah white history that" is draining the fun out of it. Like holy loving poo poo, do you guys spout this poo poo only to gain internet points or something? or are you somehow really on a crusade on the evils of white man in gaming.

My god, enjoy stuff. You are all white to me and the more you bitch about white stuff you sound WAY more white to me. Like, I'm totally picturing Taear as the whitest guy there it is. I feel bad just typing this but holt poo poo the ammount of negativity in here takes its toll.

I'm pretty much on your side with this. Civ has never struck me as not having diversity in it's Civilization choices. I'm sure there's tons of more ethnically diverse choices that can be made, but I've never been unhappy with what's been in the game.

Also, I kinda want another civ similar to the Iroquois from Civ V. I liked their border mechanic where they grabbed land faster and all their cities became huge blogs of land so you didn't have to settle more cities earlier to grab resources.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Someone posted upthread that there was talk of a third, final expansion before VI is through.

Do you mean the Shoshone? Because Russia gets that bonus in VI.

You’re right it is the Shoshone. I had no idea Russia had that, thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Byzantine posted:

Also where the gently caress is Byzantium you fuckers.

Username and post and check out. Has the Byzantine empire ever been in Civilization?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still don’t know if I like natural disasters in a CIV game but everything else in this expansion looks awesome and actually takes the game in a different direction to prior releases.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you like Civ 6, rise and fall is a better version of it. Also the more civs to play as and against, the better. I actually wished Firaxis would hold polls for most desired new Civs and then implemented them as DLC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Human Crouton posted:

National Parks are funny. Here's what you need:

-4 adjacent tiles in a vertical diamond shape.
-All tiles must have an appeal of charming or greater.
-No tiles can have improvements on them
-All of these tiles must be in the same city

In exchange for all of this, you get tourism or something.

The bolded requirement is what makes it really stupid. You can't work national park tiles, so what's the point of having them all in the same city? If anything, having a national park outside your cities would give some use to the land outside of your cities.

To be fair, if you really want a park, it's not hard to assign a tile from another city in order to complete. If all four tiles are already in your borders and fit the other three requirements, there's no reason not to. Unless you want useful additions in those tiles instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HappyCamperGL posted:

iirc the bug was that the production from the wonder would only go towards whatever was next in the production queue. since there is no production queue without mods you could only get the boost if you switched out of the wonder production the turn before the ai completes its wonder. do mods work on the ipad? i think it works ok if you have a production queue mod, but ive not tested.

Holy poo poo that's incredible code work. They created a condition in which resources go towards a game play mechanic that they didn't implement at all.