Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now I just have to wait some years for the linux port

There is one already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Also before I learned the above the only Scottish golf course I knew of was Donald Trump's, and the locals aren't exactly fond of it.

Seriously? St Andrews! Smgdh.

Golf courses should really provide a tourism boost when next to resorts or something.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Popete posted:

Well then maybe they shouldn't have declared war on me.

I've never had a game in Civ 6 where I didn't end up with war mongering even when I'm not being particularly aggressive.

Punitively taking cities is aggressive.

For defensive wars I'd usually just pillage all the improvements I can before taking the city, steal any workers/great works that are in the city. Then give it back when suing for peace. That's usually enough to make up for having to divert resources and keep the AIs happy. Or, if possible, liberating a city state is great for reducing warmonger penalties.

PS Impi corps are stupidly overpowered.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is there any benefit to getting Era Points after hitting the Golden Age threshold? The tooltip makes it seem like they're flushed straight down the drain, and it doesn't seem to influence other civs in any way.

Nope they are wasted. So it is worth delaying some things to get the era score in the next era.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

Two spots still open for this PYDT game!

One now!!!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It's not like the rest of agenda system isn't pretty annoying anyway.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's everyone's dumbest mistake in their MP game

Going baws deep to get and spread a religion even though religious victory was turned off.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

markus_cz posted:

I thought you hate playing Civ?

Jokes aside... chopping is what elevates you from an "also ran" to a competitor, at least in a multiplayer game. The early boost it gives you does wonders. (Sometimes literally.)

Now I want someone to calculate if this makes sense in terms of production. Having Magnus in a city and then chopping > regrowing > chopping > etc... all the while using the bonus production to poo poo out new workers amongst other stuff. It could actually work.

You can't chop a builder planted forest.

e - on the subject of planting forests, is there some additional requirements for where they can be placed? I always seem to have a handful of random hexes where it won't let me place them but I can't fathom why, they're just normal tundra/plains or whatever.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 24, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Madmarker posted:

I'm pretty sure if there is a resource there, like an artifact or like oil or aluminum you haven't discovered yet, it won't let you plant the forest there.

Ah, makes sense. Annoying it works differently to other improvements/districts though. I don't care about the oil, I just want to make a national park!

It'd be nice they brought back pollution and global warming from previous games.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

holy poo poo an emergency in a PYDT game!!!!!!!!!!!

it's against an opponent I have not yet found (they scouted me) and i only have 32 turns to find them, and take over a city OR ELSE!

Yeah gently caress that.

Yeah, and unless you have an army strong enough to defeat warcarts that is probably quite wise to reject. I hate Sumeria.

quote:

Also while I'm at it, Dark Ages game: GG Georgia, China starting in tundra is probably the worst RNG I could have gotten, BEFORE I fed you a settler like an idiot. Doh. Definitely have learned to not be so trusting in early eras and that play has changed my approach in future games, so it was a great lesson!

Cheers. Can confirm that I (and other humans) are all heartless bastards.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

markus_cz posted:

And there's also an emergency in the other game we're in together. Alexander has just conquered Netherlands' capital. I went and checked our relative army strengths, map positions... well, I think Alexander has just won some nice 2400 gold.

As I am Alexander I find this most agreeable. Heh.

In case anyone was wondering forested grassland hills adjacent to Torres del Paine are very good tiles indeed.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

O-Unit posted:

Hi Civ thread.

Quick question: If I’ve got enough era points to trigger a golden age, is there any benefit to continuing to accumulate them or am I better off waiting until the next era ticks over?
They are not carried over so there is no benefit.

quote:

How are the era point thresholds calculated?

It's based on number of dark & golden ages previously achieved, and number of cities you've founded.
At the start of a new age it calculated.
code:
Y + era score + # cities + 5.(# prev golden ages - # prev dark ages) 
where Y = 12 for normal age or 24 for golden age (iirc).
I don't think this is scaled for game speed. But there is a tooltip if over the age panel which you can use to verify.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sedge and Bee posted:

Yeah the walls thing is really what does it in

Anyone know if this is any good:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ai.25439/

AI improvement mod

In my experience, not particularly. It just made the game even easier.

I only played a few games on deity with it before disabling. The AI def seemed better at taking cities, and actually uses bombard/frigate type units to take down walls. But was much worse at building infrastructure. Builds far, far, too many units relative to districts (and seems to completely ignore the theatre square); and then mostly just leaves their army standing around doing nothing. It seemed to make the AI really passive against the the human player. I could usually get friendships with the AI on first meeting them which is ridiculous. It also may have mucked up wonder prioritisation for the AI, for example they wouldn't build stone henge until after all religions were founded.

It's not necessarily worse - just bad in different ways.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I'm really not sure about how builders work in this game

The main difference to previous games is that builders now have a limited number of charges. Each charge can be used to improve one tile (eg quarry, mine etc) to increase tile yields and gain access to strategic/luxury resources. Or harvest one resource - remove a (eg forest, stone) from the map for a large one-off bonus of yield. You'll need to research particular techs before you can do most of these things (mines require mining etc).

A good rule of thumb is to improve strategic/luxury resources first. Then either build mines on hills for extra production, or harvest forest/stone to build things quicker.

Some civs like China, have special extra things they can do with builders.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

webmeister posted:

Maori gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqyIPRYxn4

They keep loving with the globe offscreen as well, it changes position 4-5 times so who knows what civ they'll announce next

They're finally closing the boosted production overflow exploit. Good.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

So if you've been building a wonder but get beaten to it by another civ, what happens to all that production invested in it? Does it just vanish or what?

half the accumulated production is salvaged and used for whatever you produce next. or at least that is what is supposed to happen, there was a bug where it didn't always work and i cant remember if it got fixed.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I'm playing on ipad and i don't seem to get anything if I miss out on a wonder even if I'm only a few turns from building it which is extremely bullshit imho

iirc the bug was that the production from the wonder would only go towards whatever was next in the production queue. since there is no production queue without mods you could only get the boost if you switched out of the wonder production the turn before the ai completes its wonder. do mods work on the ipad? i think it works ok if you have a production queue mod, but ive not tested.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

For some reason I decided from the start with Germany to try and build tall and be peaceful. Mainly because in all my other games I had been spamming settlers and/or warring a lot. But the game rules strongly in favour expansion so defo 'sub-optimal'.

The other goon 'No Korea' game has also come to a conclusion as everyone has been defeated or resigned. Leaving Scotland as victors. The main notable event for me was when the Cree were going for a religious victory. They tried to spread religion using Apostles. However, if you are at war with someone, then your military unit can insta-kill any religious unit. So I declared a surprise war and slaughtered the heretics. Before invading his lands for his blasphemy. Getting a nice cash boost from defending a city state emergency on the way.

Here is the core Scottish empire:

Being isolated on a peninsula and not needing to worry so much about military is a godsend really.

And the 'liberated' Cree lands:

I don't think you can get the pretty graphs unless you get to the actual win screen? I could play through the turns and launch my spaceship I suppose but :effort:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

As a Scot, the bustling metropolis of East Kilbride is loving with me somewhat.

And Armagh? Is that in the Scottish namelist? :yikes:

e: I know a lot of people here hate the very concept but there's a PerfectWorld6 now :toot:

Armagh is a city state.

I'm a Scot too. I actually changed most of the city names from the default namelist (except for Edinburgh and Glasgow) based on what I thought would be amusing at the time. It's an alternative history where East Kilbride isn't a shithole.

Also I should note my religion with Lion symbol is called 'Nakawaraism' and the holy city is Glasgow. A reference which Scottish rugby fans might appreciate.
e - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTs-Kgtm40

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 6, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

first game with gathering storm went well.
started as the inca.
decided to move my settler on to a flood plain to get better city location.
river flooded at end of turn one and killed my settler.
game over.

:negative:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Eschatos posted:

Folks who use PYDT, have yall ever had a game get stuck right after someone surrenders? In the Goon Game on the Inner Sea, the player after me in turn order just surrendered. Now when I do my turn, save and submit it, the save shows as being for him, and PYDT refuses to accept it. Already tried deleting/redownloading the turn multiple times.

aye. i think that happened to me once and we just had to revert the turn to the previous player then replay the turn.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

ccubed posted:

I wonder how long the near infinite settler/worker exploit has existed? RIP multiplayer outside friends.

Lol this works with other pantheons too. +100 production fishing boats are something.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

ded posted:

Don't settle a city right next to a volcano unless you enjoy recreating Pompeii

Or do settle next to the volcano, then when it erupts the AIs will give you poo poo lots of gold as part of an emergency.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

I'll add to this that there is no way of knowing a wonder was built unless you remember that there was a notification about it.

I've often chosen a tech just to get a certain wonder without even knowing if that wonder was still available.

there is a map search tool on the minimap in the bottom left corner. you can use that to search for a wonder to see if it's built or currently in progress. though this only works if you have explored the tile where the wonder is.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

LiterallyATomato posted:

How does power work? Does every city need an industrial district now?

No. Power from industrial zone buildings has a regional effect like factories. Also you can get power from tile improvements like solar plants, or from dam districts as an alternative if you don't need or want to build IZs.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Also, am I right in suggesting that trying to get renewables up and running as soon as possible is a good idea?

It depends.

The advantage of renewables is not causing climate change, not requiring a strategic resource, and generally being cheaper to produce. A coal plant requires an IZ, two buildings to be built as a prerequisite. A wind farm is one builder charge.

There are also strategies around weaponising climate change. Running all the coal powerplants and using the production advantage to rush flood barriers before the ice caps melt.

Renewables also help with getting more diplo favour. But outside of a diplo victory that doesn't really matter.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think any unit can move the same turn it's purchased, is there one?

A purchased unit cannot. But if the unit is completed by chopping a forrest, say, then it can move immediately.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Completed a game as Cleopatra where City States had at least 4 wonders. I feed Cahokia late in the game and they had 3. Weirdly it also lost its space port when freed

this happens with the government plaza too since city states aren't allowed them. or if a civ already has a plaza and takes a second one. or anytime kongo takes a city with a holy site.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

City states can have wonders?

can't build their own. but if a civ captures a city state and then builds a wonder, that will remain with the city state if it is subsequently liberated.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm learning the game still, only about 50 hours in, and I've been able to get an accidental cultural or diplomatic victory (don't remember which, but I was going for science) and then a planned science victory. I'm getting better at managing amenities, growth, and early city expansion, but I struggle with amenities and definitely loyalty in new cities or conquered cities, even with the garrison governor and a monument. Is the answer that I shouldn't have cut my culture investment (districts etc) down to near zero? And should I be anticipating loyalty issues by using spies to reduce loyalty in nearby enemy cities? Does placing a spy in defence on a newly conquered city, based in the city centre, help loyalty at all?

the most important thing for loyalty is population. try to rush growth in new cities with loyalty issues. also settle/invade closer to your already larger cities. if your're invading consider letting a city flip to a free city while you go pillage and attack other cities, to reduce the enemy population.
there are also a few policies that can boost loyalty.

spies don't do anything positive for loyalty as far as i know. and the reduce loyalty mission is useless.

edit - also try to manage era score to avoid dark ages.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 10, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Tofu Injection posted:

Are industrial zones even worth it? Seems like I'd rather go for almost anything else, power be damned, and if I'm not winning by the time it becomes relevant, games over one way or another anyway. Plus if I'm ahead I can just spam green power anyway.

a couple of centralised centralised industrial zones can be okay if they can hit enough cities. and ruhr is great if you can get in iz near a river.
ideally in your space port cities so they have a bit more production. and being able to run projects for the good engineers.

but generally i find they are too expensive to be worthwhile, and to get them really good you have to also build crap like aqueducts. i agree you just delay the actual useful districts too much.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lmao at that comet literally obliterating the city.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

some screen shots of apocalypse mode, and new wonders. in this video from about the five minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MkW7IxAQg

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://youtu.be/lQVk0s3rQh0

First look at the Maya. Unique campus and better farms. No housing from fresh water. Bonus for cities near capital, debuff if further away.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Chikimiki posted:

IIRC this was the way it worked in Civ 4

It was in civ three at least.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ragnar34 posted:

No New Frontier updates yet, I just came in to complain that the laser stations were the very last tech on the tech tree. Hey Firaxis, this is why everyone quits all their civ games on turn 122.

not necessarily. the order of the future era tech is random - so sometimes it's earlier.

though by that point you really should just be one/two turning all the tech anyway.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 18, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Loyalty flipping everyone with great works just sounds tedious to me. I'd just conquer yellow then settle the rest of that land for seaside resorts and national parks and chateaux.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 19, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Plus one movement for every unit.
Improvements that are just better farms.
Free great generals.
Ridiculous.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

One thing that wasn't clear - can you earn the new UGP through normal means, or do you only get them at the beginning of each new era?

The unique seems to be era only, but they can still earn normal generals too. Moreover their bonuses seem to stack.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the logistics policy card is really powerful for a peaceful/econ type game because it applies to builder units. colombia get this in perpetuity (and it applies outside home territory). it'll even apply to apostles for a religious game. it's just a really good general bonus that is always useful. while also being insane for domination.

the hacienda might be too late in the tech tree to be properly useful though.