Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Annnnd apologies across the board for us Mac-using goons in the multiplayer games. We'll be back in a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Tofu Injection posted:

Goon games typically let you take 1 or 2 turns a day. The 17 day wait is because the Nubia patch screwed Mac users and they need to wait for it to come to their platform.

Whether that excuses it for you or not is a personal thing, but it's disingenuous to say that's the typical PBEM experience.

Yeah, it's not our fault they can't get their poo poo together and put out the Mac patch at the same time. :smith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Jesus christ how long does it take to get a loving Mac patch out

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

You all deserve it for picking Venice.

I make a point of taking Constantinople in every Venice game what now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cythereal posted:

Trade routes. All of them.

Go for Wonders that increase your trade route capacity, because you get 2 for 1. You'll be well suited to focus on policies that increase your gold. Gold, gold, gold. Buy literally everything.

E: A Venice start on the coast next to a desert nets you the Colossus and Petra specifically.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Look at this scrub who forgot Venice rose to power by making GBS threads out the most powerful navy in the world for several hundred years.

Buy yourself an enormous loving navy to protect that trade, yo.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I think you're confusing "good" and "plays like a variation on every other civ."

Also, I'd be up for a GMR game with me as Venice and you as the Civ of your choice if you'd care to settle this like gentlemen. :)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

I'm interested in taking you up on that.:hist101:

:D Awesome. I'll try to set it up tonight after I put the kiddo down.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

I'm interested in taking you up on that.:hist101:

DM'd you the link! I set it up to be the two of us plus 4 AI players since Venice would be seriously nerfed otherwise (and this way we'll have some other civs to pick on).

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope the thread will be treated to a full after-action report :)

Oh yeah. Venice gets to write its history after all. ;)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Poil posted:

Civ 6 is TERRIBLE at visibility. They're actively trying to hide units.

Maybe I'm just old and my eyes are lovely, but I hate hate hate the FOW effect in 6 so much. I have a super-hard time differentiating it and unexplored territory.

Fintilgin posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for the period appropriate leaders of 3 though.

I so wish they'd bring this back.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Justinian/Theodora (as in, both of them) would be awesome.

Irene would be even better. :getin:

Baldwin I :smugdog:

Byazntine and I have managed about 45 turns of our Venice-Byzantium GMR game, and so far it's shaping up to be very interesting. The game spawned us both on the same continent so naturally we're already at war with each other.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Baldwin and co never claimed to be Roman Emperors (because to Catholics, the Roman Empire was the state based in Germany - it wasn't even called the Holy Roman Empire until 1254). The Latins instead called themselves "Emperors of Romania". :smugdog::pipe:

:drat:

quote:

And despite the best efforts of Perfidious Venezia, Sinai has been claimed for the empire.

Venezia forgot how annoying barbs can get when you only have one city for them to attack.

The Deleter posted:

Gluing leader chat and historical accuracy chat together, Charlemagne would be under Germany here, right? It's pretty explicitly based on the HRE, and Charlemagne with U-Boats is a funny mental image, but would he bring anything to the table that Frederick doesn't already?

Wouldn't Charlemagne be more appropriate under the French, or "Franks" if you want to get super accurate?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Might as well make a Florida civ, same level of civilization.

With their great leader Florida Man.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Taear posted:

Nobody posts in there any more. Hell barely anyone posts on this thread either. Civ6 is mostly dead at the moment.

Nah, there's still plenty of people who constantly remind everyone else how buggy and lovely it is.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I think the Mac patch just dropped.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Aerdan posted:

Confirmed.

Goon Summer Game is a going concern again. Finally. After 41 days.

gently caress you, Firaxis. :argh:

I just dropped out of all my other PYDT games a couple of days ago because I had given up. :smith: I'll PMDT ASAP.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Seltzer posted:

I liked civ 5, is this game as bad as the last few pages I skimmed has lead me to believe?

If you liked Civ 5 before the first major expansion, you might like this.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Actually agonizing over my belief choices in Byzantium vs Venice.

The ungodly capitalists to your north laugh at your silly idols.

The White Dragon posted:

just, the kind of settler that looks like an archer :black101:

:getin:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The patch totally broke my game. The splash screen keeps telling me to join Reddit. :mad:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Accept your fate already. Your people already praise the depth of Byzantine culture.

And yours are about to be broken by a 91-year-old blind man and the full might of the Stato Del Mar's navy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Just as soon as I get back from taking my kid shopping that is.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
(I'll narrate the game from Venice's POV).

In a game strangely reminiscent of actual history, the Republic of Venice dealt a crippling blow to the Byzantine Empire from which it will likely never recover. We started on the same continent and began our war in the ancient era. Byzantium exerted its control over Venice early, forcing the Most Serene Republic to play a defensive game for the first half. Barbarian ships wrecked our trade until a suitable navy could be built, but by that point we were slipping behind scientifically. It was only because of an amazing start that Venice built not only the Colossus and Petra but the Great Lighthouse as well.

Once the Venetian fleet took control of the waves, we slowly built our infrastructure and kept a defensive military. Byzantium forward-settled on our doorstep so we knew it was a matter of time before their troops showed up. We blitzed to Compass so we could build our Great Galleass, and demonstrated the full power of the Arsenale as we cranked out cargo ships, galleass', and eventually cannons at a breakneck speed. With science slipping further behind the AI and an unhappy empire we couldn't acquire enough luxuries to placate, we knew it was only a matter of time and launched our attack. Our ever-growing fleet eliminated Byzantine coastal colonies, razing them to the ground, and fighting a pitched battle ever closer to Constantinople. Meanwhile our defensive troops went on the offensive, capturing the forward-settled city and burning it down.

At this point the game could continue but things are looking good for Venice and its Stato del Mar.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, an unmet civ is nearly 2 tech levels ahead of Venice, so it may inevitably be eclipsed by the Iroquois (I think) and slowly decline into irrelevance. Or buy the gently caress out of the city-states and declare endless naval war and destroy them. :black101:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Yeah, once I had a good trade network established and I grabbed the mercantilism civic, I was buying Great Galleass' every 2 turns for 240 gold. That's value for your attacking power!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Efexeye posted:

or, conversely, it's marketing's job to polish whatever turd has been turned out by engineering so that someone will buy it

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not ok with everyone hating me for thousands of years because I took a city from some rear end in a top hat who attacked me for no reason

My grandfather hated the "Japs" until the day he passed away because they attacked Pearl Harbor. And I get the feeling that that kind of long-seated prejudice is actually fairly common.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did the Mac patch just drop at the same time the PC patch did?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Would the Byzant that's playing me in Civ 5 GMR PM me please, for some reason the other goon "byzant" isn't you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did anyone else's Civ 5 just download an update?