Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What if there was a happy medium between stacks and 1UPT?

Like you could have 3-4 units per tile or artillery, infantry and armor/mounted units could all occupy the same space granted there's no more than one of each type? I could live with something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I also find Civs that have all their unique things from the same approximate era to be dull, but I understand that it is necessary for some.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but I feel like they kinda solved this in IV or III by giving a few Civs that didn't really have any real-world modern equivalents or whatever imaginary unique units to compensate.

It was a cool idea so you didn't end up with Civs that just had unique units focused entirely on one era and nothing else.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Human Crouton posted:

Are you thinking of Rise of Nations? Because all civs were dull as hell in 3 and 4.

Ahh, poo poo. You're right. :cripes:

Still, it'd be a cool thing to see in the game if done right.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jastiger posted:

I REALLY hope they bring back outposts so you don't have to plop a city down in Antarctica to get one of 3 uranium deposits. Vassals too would be ridiculously enjoyable in a game like this too.

I really hope they bring this back as well as airfields. Useless to some, maybe, but I enjoyed using them as shuttle points for bombers/paratroopers.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 18, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So it's time to vent about Stupid Diplomatic Changes! On today's episode, let's talk about how your Declared Friends/Allies can declare war on City-States you are the suzerain of and there is nothing you can do about it, because the only option you have now is to Make Deals with them! :suicide:

Yeah this was something I ran into as well. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - I really miss that too.

Count me in as someone else who misses it. I actually really enjoyed it in BNW.

This isn't the "Checkmate :smug:" you think it is.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Taeke posted:

I'm very, very glad that all of the major issues with the game, while definitely detrimental to the experience, are things that seem relatively easy fixes. The basis is just so, so good, and when those issues are fixed I'm going to put a lot of time into this game.

I'm optimistic that they will fix things with a few patches but I'm going to avoid playing until the first patch hits and see what they improve. I know Civ V had it's share of issues at launch, but I feel like the AI at least, while not great, was still a little more predictable (and wouldn't lose their poo poo over wars they asked you to join, etc.)

The only other thing I'd like to see them fix is to improve the diplomacy screen. It's really annoying getting the denouncement notification and then watching the game load another screen that just lets you say goodbye (till you research a specific tech). I really enjoyed Civ V's way of doing things with that screen. It was more balanced whereas this feels like I'm watching an animators demo reel every single time, and it gets old fast.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Rexides posted:

Wait. What?

I'm pretty sure (and I might be wrong), that until you reach a certain point in research, when you get denounced, all you can do is say goodbye.

Whereas in V, you could tell them to either to eat poo poo or sorry that they feel that way from the get go.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

John F Bennett posted:

But what is it?

I can't remember to be totally honest.

JVNO posted:

The diplomacy screens really exemplify how puzzling my reaction to this game is. The preset animations I have to click through and watch for each notification, only for it to then load a second screen for meaningful interactions, is just mindbogglingly dumb and annoying to behold.

But it exists along some really great decisions- the side bar that lets you flick between the diplomacy screens without returning to the map, as well as all of the available detail that exists on the diplomacy screen. I'd still like an infoaddict style 'global political allignment' web, but it's miles ahead of Civ V.

Agreed. If they gave me the choice to scale down or eliminate animations for every diplomatic interaction I have with other civs, it'd make me quite happy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

homullus posted:

You can completely eliminate animations. It's in the options. Diplomacy is much faster with them off.

Edit: if I recall, it's in the Advanced Options for graphics.

Oh awesome, I'm do that and see how it goes for me now. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

wyoak posted:

Still, this one is a massive improvement over V in that going wide isn't punished which allows for actual variety in your play, Civ V's global happiness was an albatross on any other mechanics in the game.

I completely agree with you on this, and it's the one thing that makes me the most optimistic for VI once it gets some fixes. I also like the Cassus Belli feature and again, makes me optimistic for what the future holds.

I'd recommend giving the expansions for V a shot, they really helped improve and fix the vanilla game greatly. It's not perfect, but BNW contends with BTS in terms of best Civ expansion in my opinion.