Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

When Vader did a meet and greet last year for AIW, he tried to get them to mail him a cash deposit. He told them to put cash in the pages of a magazine and specified that it should be Maxim.

Vader just wants to chill in his ugg slippers reading some Maxim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

AIW still working hard at putting on some weird cards
https://twitter.com/aiwrestling/status/748669156803891200
really hope to meet one of Teddy Hart's cats

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

So far AIW has booked Cryme Tyme, the F.B.I., and The Headhunters for their 2 day Tag Tournament.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Gabe probably helped with him getting his visa. Indeed cruel.

On the AIW podcast they said Ethan Page has something figured out for himself that they didn't want to talk about, but it didn't sound like a work visa, at least not for wrestling.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Gringo Loco is keeping the legacy of old school indie wrestling alive- he wrestled in Cleveland for AIW on Friday night, got arrested for something and bailed out on Saturday morning, went back to Illinois on Saturday afternoon, and had a heart attack after a match later that night. He's in a hospital in stable condition.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

I dunno who alex daniels is but he's got a roddy-like motor. also does lots of stupid corner throws and apron bumps. also his gimmick is that he thinks he's literally ben affleck i think. wouldn't mind him in the mix some

He's one of Johnny Gargano's students. I think he's been wrestling for like 3 years, and up until last year nearly killed himself trying stupid poo poo he wasn't ready for in every match. He definitely has some real potential.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I liked Matt Riddle in the UFC cuz he was dumb as poo poo in a really fun way. How's his wrestling?

He's fantastic. One of the all time greatest rookies. But he's still a really, really dumb human being. Not one bit of him is a gimmick.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

and asked him to job to their regular wrestlers (who he said didn't know how to wrestle).

Besides the fact that not honoring your commitments is lame, him making GBS threads on other wrestlers is really dumb as gently caress. The three guys he's talking about jobbing to are Louis Lyndon, Steve Pain, and Gringo Loco. All experienced guys, who have earned enough respect that a dude who has been wrestling a year should know better than to poo poo on. And he wasn't even supposed to job to the lucha guys, but he told aiw he forgot he planned a family vacation and couldn't make their next show so they had to change plans.

People probably want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt since he's the current indie darling, but seriously, he's a dumb mother fucker. MMA fans knew this after he got popped for weed twice and said he needed it so he wouldn't beat his kids.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Shigehiro Irie is an upgrade to Teddy Hart in every way possible. He works hard as hell in the ring every time out, and is the sweetest guy outside of it. He's so genuinely happy to meet new people and make new fans.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Ya gotta remember too, Drew is a fan of indie stars of the past not so much WWF/WCW/ECW stars of the past.

Surprised AIW didn't get Norton first.

I think I remember hearing AIW wanted to have Fire and Ice in their tag tournament or something, but couldn't figure out how to get a hold of Ice Train.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Every company that tries to replicate PWG really doesn't understand what makes them work.

Super Dragon's very specific form of autism?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Colt went to a WWE show to visit some friends backstage. Since the doctor that's suing them is employed by the WWE, and is probably being funded by the WWE, Punk got pissed.

The contact info thing was even more petty. Hornswoggle lost his phone and asked Punk for a mutual friend's info. I guess Hornswoggle and Punk had been close friends for years, and Punk cut him off completely.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Holy poo poo, I was at the show and didn't hear that.

During the same match, Flip Kendrick jumped from the top rope to the floor and landed on his head. It's a sound I'm not going to forget any time soon.

It was bad, but luckily he didn't hit the floor. His head smacked the wooden steps on the way down during a rotation. He caught the edge, and he didn't bend or land on his neck. As of midnight he was at the ER, and he's conscious and coherent.

I also didn't hear anyone chant that at Delaney. Hopefully it was just one drunk idiot.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It's probably just a meet and greet and maybe a wrestler seminar before the show. AIW does that a few times a year. Terry Funk did manage to do a concession stand brawl with chair throwing and a ddt on the floor.

But Dean hasn't wrestled in 10 years and I think he had a heart attack at some point.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

A few weeks ago I shaw Shane Douglas wrestle a match in front of about 30 people. He came out and cut a promo about how the last time he was in town he got a call that his sister had died from a heroin overdose, so he was going to associate that bad news with his opponent. They then slowly walked around the gym hitting each other with rubber garbage cans and water bottles while 3 or 4 people chanted ECW.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Wish I knew to post about drama in here when Sonjay Dutt made Jimmy Rave go home after like 8 minutes by slapping his belly, making the ref count the 3, and then angrily going to the back at the Nova Pro show in May. The match seemed fine to that point. But then again I doubt there is any sort of "inside" line on the Nova Pro locker room.

Jimmy Rave also no showed the JLIT for AIW and disappeared from twitter for awhile around the same time. I know he was in the hospital for a staph infection and was trying to sell old gear to make money.

All I know its he way out of shape, and hasn't had good matches in a long while no matter what a handful of hayseeds on Twitter say.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It's a such a crazy coincidence that this is the 20th anniversary of the USWA fraud lawsuit. This weeks Between the Sheets covers it in depth, and the parallels are pretty hilarious.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bix probably deserves credit for an assist. he's made Gabe melt down more than anybody lately.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Exactly this.

Jaka and the guy that was supposed to catch him were both at fault for the miss. Dickinson was 100% at fault for not protecting Kimber Lee.

US indie dudes need to do some real lucha training. It's done wonders for DJZ, and I know he's helped some other wrestlers in the last year or so.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

rovert posted:

Brad Liked a perv pic that was taken of a woman's rear end during the show.

Then he was a dick about it when he was called out on it.

And it was a bad look for some of his friends who would normally call people out on that poo poo. Lots of, “I’m not defending it, but I know Stuttsy is a really good guy. Honest.” Then it got dropped really quickly.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Masada is so far the only guy i don't think fits the gimmick that almost everyone else is going for. Gage is the only other one i can think of but the guy doesn't pose for skewers as his signature weapon

Gage is at least capable of having a match without plunder. Masada loving sucks in every way possible, in any type of match.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Maybe he's moving better if he got his knee fixed, but a few years ago I saw him in a bunch of matches where he moved like modern day Greg the Hammer Valentine, and every time he bumped he'd sit on his rear end for a minute and stare like he was trying to remember where he left his car keys. No amount of skewers made it exciting.

I haven't watched the last couple of ToDs, so maybe he wasn't the shits. I keep meaning to check them out.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Xerzes posted:

Draven's pretty good.

And PB Smooth is legit 6'9 or 6'10 and slowly getting jacked. He's only been in the business for a couple of years, and he improved a whole bunch last year. He was in the last group of AIW students taught by Johnny and Candice.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's also funny how much he looks like Colt Cabana, at least from the neck up

https://twitter.com/ColtCabana/status/978821562940850176

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Everyone needs to see PCO live. It's probably his last run, and we all need to help this insane one-eyed old man make bank for his retirement.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/ColtCabana/status/996437769013616640

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Given how crazy I think they are...has anyone booked Gage vs PCO yet?

Nova Pro has them booked in June.

The funny thing is that outside of his death match stuff, Gage works pretty light. His worked punches actually kind of stink. I’ve seen him live a bunch this year, and he it’s like he takes care of his opponent until the plunder comes out. Then all bets are off.

PCO works way more stiff in general, with hard chops and clubbering forearms.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It's kind of impressive actually.

Roque11 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/989673630995963905

Yes! It looks like we are one step closer towards seeing Keith Lee kill it in the G1 and MLW this summer and I can't wait. I bet Keith will be the mystery opponent for Barrington Hughes at the MLW TV tapings next week. The only thing that will top Keith Lee in New Japan will be WALTER showing up in All Japan. Good things coming up in the world of wrestling.

Roque11 posted:

See you in ROH/New Japan very soon Puma/Ricochet, where everybody is going. Ricochet v. Neville in New Japan USA in 2018 will be a killer match.

Roque11 posted:

It doesn't matter since War Machine turned down WWE for ROH and New Japan.

Now that Adam Co!e has been signed I think I'm going to complain about how NXT is no longer a real developmental territory.

Roque11 posted:

Yes. Notice how Meltzer and Mike Johnson have yet to actually say he's signed a contract? Looks like Fish was just in for a one and done jobber role, similar to Danny Burch.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, Wrestlemania ruins a weekend of really cool wrestling.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Draxion posted:

I suspect not many of you ever got a chance to see Magnum CK wrestle (I know there's a couple other people who follow AIW, and he was working smaller indies surrounding Ohio as well) but he's retiring Friday due to persistent injuries. He and his stable were one of the most memorable parts of the first indie show I ever went to, and I'm sad to see him go.

Magnum CK was the god drat best. You knew he just had "it" when he would be in a scramble with five other dudes doing the craziest poo poo possible, but the biggest pop would be when he hit a perfect top rope elbow drop. The best entrance, too. I'm so unbelievably bummed he has to retire, but he seems like a really good guy, with a great family, and I wish him nothing but the best.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Deathlove posted:

After Beretta did that sliding German against Omega last year and someone (Rollins?) in WWE followed, Beretta was very careful to make sure everyone know he was doing an Orange Cassidy move originally. Success and happiness can only come from within and I hope OC is a happy, healthy person.

I'm pretty sure he said it was a Colin Delaney move. He's been doing it for years.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The craziest Brutus interview was the one where he outed The Rockers drugging and raping women. Of course he was telling it as a "hilarious" road story.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

Lol how does anyone think that Colt looks good in all of this. Regardless of your feelings about CM Punk, WWE is the bad guy and Colt is a dummy

His multimillionaire friend who caused the lawsuit told him he would pay his legal fees and then didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

rovert posted:

The contracts don't seem restrictive or worth the paper they are written on. Also Court has let everyone out who wanted out to my knowledge. What's the beef? Bix seems to have a particular bee in his bonnet about it for reasons not really explained.

It doesn't seem like MJF got out easily. On the new AIW podcast he wasn't allowed to talk about the details. He glossed over how he signed with AEW and said he had an NDA.