Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If 5 is the best, and D2 is second, does 4 rank a solid third? Because I think that 4 had the strongest cast out of all the games (Killia felt sorta bland to me, but the rest of 5's cast was awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Disgaea 3 had a DLC that showed Prinnies in Celestia for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas in the Prinnies in the Netherworld are basically underpaid labor workers, the ones in Celestia have to do charity work.

From some of Flonne's lines in the original Disgaea it sounded more like they were maids and butlers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mages.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is Li’l Sis Taisen Etna Musou a reference to some anime I don't know about?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ardeem posted:

Dynasty Warriors games all have Musou in the Japanese titles, and the "wars" in Sakura Wars and Super Robot Wars is "Taisen."

Oh, it's a video game reference. I remember Disgaea 3 &4 having "Next episode!" bits referencing anime.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, the other demons might actually know you're the Overlord if you didn't keep running off to other people's games, Laharl: Overlords may not seem to do anything other than fight, but they still need to make an appearance or two in their own drat realm!
D2 takes place before 2, 3 and 4. If you're wondering about 5, there's a epilouge that makes people (myself included) think 5 is a prequel.

Oh, Feinne. Which of the six main character's Overloads in 5 is your favorite?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, Feinne, quick question, since you mentioned Stella Glow before: Would you consider LP'ing it in the future?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's your favorite Conduct Song? Mine's a 3-way tie between Rusty Key, Cherry Blossom and Ice World.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did Owain from Fire Emblem Awakening get turned into a... whatever that red thing is?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wow, I was right. Garungun is practically Owain, right down to the mannerisms.
And now...

"MY MAJIN HAND TWITCHES!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FractalSandwich posted:

There's a character a lot like Laharl in Disgaea 5, and he's a lot more tolerable because he's not the main character, and because he's not an obnoxious child.

Clarifying: You mean Zeroken, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Lotish posted:

Snort like a pig. Bam. Easy.

You forgot saying things like "I wish I could make love to you, money..."

(WARNING: JOKE, DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY)
(I'm making it obvious when I joke to cut down on people finding me weird)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Best next chapter title yet!

I should mention that the Book skill names are based on classic literature. 451 Degrees of Evil is referencing Fahrenheit 451, and Gone With The Cotton is based on Gone With The Wind.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Top 5 Overloads (in my opinion)

5. Super Universe
4. Evangel of Purity
3. Comet Disaster
2. Tyrant Revelio
1. Murmur of Rage

I forgot what Greedy Maschwhatever did. Refresh my memory?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like more "Kick 10 times more rear end" abilities, with the exception of EoP (The team is effectively immune to damage for a turn) and Miracle Regen.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Oh for sure you've got to have some of those as well, especially since they're attached to some great characters to begin with. And that's also why Murmur of Rage is the best, since it's both types at once.

And the ranged support attacks mean that a TR'd Killia and a MoR Usalia makes a tag team of terror.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Somehow they combined the best direct effect, best sustained effect, AND the best model in the game into one Overload and it's amazing. And attached to a character who's both 100% viable on their own as well as having a great Evility to give someone with Magichange.

Don't forget Berserk Stream!
Seriously, even if Usalia can't directly get to any enemies, MoR both kills a good bunch of trash mobs on activation and allows Killia, RM and Zero to finish off things they couldn't with a Macrocosm, Super Damage Lord or Rising Gale Kick.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What is your top 5 Overloads?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Missed opportunity if you ask me.
I mean Nisa from Hyperdimension Neptunia got in, so why can't Oswald or Cornelius get in?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I dunno, Oswald's Shadow form would make a good Overload...

Luciferic Spiral?

I got nothing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

megamariox posted:

Why bother trying to keep equipment up to date when you can change the sprite of any weapon you have to any other sprite of that weapon type?

You do realize that that doesn't change the stats of the weapon, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay Feinne, what is your favorite Overload name?

Mine has to be Atrocious Prince.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FractalSandwich posted:

There'll be a lot for me to say about Overloads once you get around to a Disgaea 5 LP. Their Japanese names follow a much clearer pattern and a couple of them are amazing puns.

Yeah, I don't get some of them. A few use evil creatures names (Mao's Astaroth Reform, Val's Tepes Nightmare, Desco's Channel Azi Dahhaka) while some are just normal words (Zero's Superluminal Wolf, RM's Super Universe, Laharl's Atrocious Prince). Are either of those a pattern?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, are the English names accurate translations content-wise? Like is Laharl's use a word that means terrible and one that means Prince, and so on?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm okay with a few of the more punny ones. Was Drumdraw's Attack On Giant a Attack on Titan pun in Japanese as well? I'm curious.

Edit: Maybe Tyrant Revelio? Is Revelio Italian?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a lot of question about names of Overloads...

Like, what are Balor, Brionac, Mardok, and Revelio?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wow, thanks Feinne. Edit: Yeah, given that Killidia really liked killing stuff, "revel" makes a good deal of sense.

Was Zeroken's Japanese Overload something like "Okami no Superlumine"?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FractalSandwich posted:

Other way around. "Chosoku (兆速) no Wolf".

drat, so close.

Is Evangel a word, or did someone just think that sticking an "ev" onto angel made it sound cooler?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FractalSandwich posted:

It's referring to the Evangelion. The Good News. The Gospel.

Ah.

Some of the Overloads are obvious:

Atrocious Prince refers to Laharl's noble lineage and evil intent
Superluminal Wolf is about how Zeroken is a werewolf demon like Fenrich
Super Olympia/Universe is about how big RM gets.

Also, Baal's Overload, Rakshasa Cataclysm, refers to the beast-people/demons of Indian myth.

What about Ameratat's Bravery, Severe Aeshema, Grand Avesta and Wishdom of Ipos?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If a maid refreshes a Tyrant Revelio'd Killia, does he get six turns of only 4?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Factoid about D2: It's the third out of five games released as a Nippon Ichi 20th anniversary, though I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of the others. I know that The Guided Fate Paradox (Which is a Good Game that Feinne should play) was the first, and D2's the third, so what are the others?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just was on youtube, found a trailer for a new NIS game called The Longest Five Minutes. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPG-5lItw

Also remembered that Akiba's Beat was a thing that Feinne might be interested in.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

You are actually potentially going to see some weird poo poo because one thing I really want to LP is Demon Gaze, because while I really love dungeon crawler-y type games that's one of the only ones I've legit finished and beaten because it is so good! technically I haven't actually beaten Quasar or whatever the second bonus demon is called because gently caress Dark Aries but still.

This actually reminds that I need to pick Stranger in Sword City back up soon, though I'd actually say Demon Gaze is better overall. Maybe just because I haven't actually gotten far enough into Stranger to really play with the multiclassing (because I'm the kind of crazy who won't switch classes until I've got all the skills from the first).

Oh and we've got family by this weekend, I might not get a chance to record and updates might be slightly delayed.

You might want to take a look at the Etrian Odyssey LP's if you want to do it like them (give the random recruitables personalities and so on).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact about Demon Gaze: Putting in the names of Disgaea characters as generic names allows their portrait to be used.

Edit: Never mind, Disgaea portaits are DLC only

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 30, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Yeah I was about to ask if that was in addition to the DLC ones. I know I recall a Prinny portrait and I think Asagi, don't remember who else there was.

Since we're on the topic I do have to note that the Demon theme, Loveless Angels, is one of my favorite boss themes in a thing.

There's Etna, Sicily and Flonne ones.

Yeah, Loveless Angels is pretty badass.

Quick question: are you going to LP it similarly to how Etrian Odyssey LP's are done (give the generic recruitables personalities and expand Oz's)?

And which Demon is your favorite visually (both normal and Raged) and mechanically?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Never mind

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Junpei. Stop. Please.

I actually have Disgaea D2, so I'm free here, and Feinne's a nice guy (or girl) who appreciates me.

And actually sort of find the Raged Demons to be a bit too fanservice-y. I know I look like a horny teen, but I was just joking. Some people on this sit have no sense of humor whatsoever...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ddegenha posted:

One of my favorite things about Laharl is that he shares a voice actress with Rita Repulsa. Only vaguely related, but I'd love it if at some point Laharl shouted "Make my monster grow!" when someone magichanged to be his weapon.

Wait, actess? As in female? I mean, yeah, Laharl's always has this prepubescent squeakiness, but I never realized he was voiced by a she!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, I should ask: Do you know about Fairy Fencer F, and if so, would you LP it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, Feinne. Was just doing some research on the upcoming Demon Gaze 2, here's some things I've learned so far if you're interested.

- No more player-made party members, seems like all the party members are plot-relevant with set personalities.

- I hate it when Japan does this but (sigh)... Most of the party members are female with the exception of the protagonist and possibly one or two others.

- It seems like Demon summoning works very differently. Basically, the protag (who I'll call Leon for now) can use their Gazer powers to power-up other party members, transforming them.

- Not sure if these are boss or Demon names, but I do have two of them: Satan the DawnAbsolute (yes, it's written like that) and Dragon the StarTraitor.

• Locked thread