Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I actually had the sg13, and no matter what I tried, my 1070 (which is 10.5" long) could not fit in that case with my AIO cooler, fwiw. BTW if someone wants to buy one with the mesh front plate, I have that one sitting around.

The longer ends need to be facing vertically, did you do that? Or was it more of a tube issue? An SFX power supply might alleviate that.

Here's a picture of the first thing I stole from overclockers.net, but turn it 90 degrees.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2331280/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm having trouble seeing what you are trying to explain here, but that picture shows the issue exactly. I had that exact setup, almost (not corsair brand, but same size cooler and the mini Asus 970), and the cooler blocked the 1070.

The guy in his picture has it the wrong way for what you want to do. You can see where your graphics card would extend. The longer dimensions of the radiator should be oriented vertically, not horizontally. Or if its easier for you to understand it this way, the plastic ends of it should point up and down.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ooohhhh I thought you were talking about the video card. Would that still let it be screwed in, and wouldn't that block the top storage drive plate?

I'm not sure, to be honest. It will screw in but I'm not entirely sure about the drive. Linus put a Titan in with a ridiculous 18 or 20 core processor and an AIO, but for some reason had to move the SSDs and I don't think he had an HDD.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Mini-ITX crew! I would like to join! My GF and I are gonna design and build laser-cut cases for our rigs, and this is the hardware I'm gonna get for mine (she's gonna get an i7-6700k, prob 32 gb ram and a 1080, with psu to match).

This list doesn't include fans, power button, LEDs, chassis speaker, or extra ports (not gonna use extra ports on this build), I'm gonna have the PSU and GPU each pulling and dumping air independently, and a 180mm fan pulling air from above the cpu (negative pressure, with air coming from the top and bottom of the mobo). Gonna try to get this first iteration inside of an 8" x 8" x 6" box (with motherboard mounted vertically, gpu mounted behind motherboard, and psu mounted on the outside), then try to make a smaller iteration.. To fit the GPU, I plan on using a riser cable to move it back-to-back with the motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1036.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 02:39 EDT-0400

Can I get a smell test on this parts list and my ideas? I checked the power consumption, and, unless I'm missing something, I'm gonna be pulling ~300W, so with psu efficiency losses and safety margin, 450W should be enough, right? Also, can someone recommend a good gtx 1060 card that won't break the bank? I don't care about the superclocked version.

Have any of you built custom tiny cases? Besides doing a cardboard mockup first, any tips or tricks? From all I've read, cable management is a pain in the rear end, so I'm gonna cut holes for zip ties to pin down cables. Have any of you moved a video card with a riser cable? Do the front panel port headers on the motherboard share bandwidth with rear panels?

Get faster RAM, 3000 or 3200, should be only a little more expensive and will make a tangible FPS difference in the more cpu intensive games.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Oh, nevermind, I must have confused it with a different shoebox-type case - I'm positive there's one that lets you mount a 240mm radiator on the top side, I thought it was Fractal Design's.

Looking it up, the Node 304 still supports 2x92mm radiators, which are slightly better than the Core V1's options (1x140mm max, and you might need to remove the front fan if it's a thick radiator and you want push/pull).

Are 92mm radiators even a thing?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's kind of a terrible idea in most mITX cases but you can also get mATX/mITX X99 boards, and that's another viable choice for performance.

Pretty much any x99 itx build should use an AIO watercooler if you don't want horrible sound levels.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I think there's only one cubed ITX case smaller than the Core V1 that takes a full PSU, and that'd be the Coolermaster Elite 110, but that's a very bad case in comparison both for airflow and ease of building.

SG13B takes a full sized PSU and is like 10 liters... Linus shoved a 1200W PSU in there, a 18 core Xeon and a Titan X.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

I wonder if half height graphics cards will start catching on at some point, it seems like the logical progression for the form factor

Half height is kind if silly now that there are riser cards/cables and itx-length video cards.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The rvz01-e is a slim-ish revision that will fit a full size psu while sacrificing your 3.5" and optical drives.

However, you literally can't have a slim computer that takes an ATX power supply when the case is smaller in one dimension than ATX power supplies are.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Silverstone designs are a bit old by now, some getting close to 5 years old. The 500W has the best reviews of the bunch and mine performs admirably. That said the Corsairs are new this year and should hopefully perform better. It really is surprising how polarizing goons are about products though. When I wrote the OP, the Corsairs were in short supply or ridiculously overpriced.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Smiles posted:

I like my SF450 its so cute when i put it next to my bro's RM1000

oh also i have the mini EVGA GTX1060 in my ncase now and it's great but looking at it all put together I still can't help but notice that there's so much empty space

hurry up dancase and start selling at retail is what im sayin

Check this case out. If you don't need a full length video card, there are more options out there.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hutzy-xs-ultra-compact-gaming-case.1894641/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Inwin BQ695 is probably the only answer right now. 3.3L and fits a slim ODD, come with a power brick style PSU good for 120W.

http://www.in-win.com.tw/Corporate/en/goods.php?act=view&id=BQ695

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Mentioned it earlier, the Mini is microATX, just like the older Define Mini, not mini-ITX. For that, there's the Define Nano S already.

Which is still more than 28L.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

well why not posted:

yep it's mATX. Honestly mATX is kind of a weird area. ITX / ATX get all the attention, but there's not really anything 'wrong' with mATX it's just kind of ... in the middle.

You'd think with 3 and 4 way SLI being discontinued at least as far as NVIDIA goes, and nothing worthwhile Crossfiring, mATX would start becoming more popular. However, we all know that the computer industry hates change, so we likely won't.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Looking at building with the RVZ02B, but I've read a couple of things that make me nervous:

(1) A reviewer on either Newegg or PC Part Picker said that they bought a card that was 12", but it only just fit. The RVZ02B claims to accept a 13" card, so what the heck happened?

(2) I would love to buy an NVMe 960 EVO as a boot drive for this machine, but the mITX motherboards I've seen all have the M.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. Do I need to worry about the 960 EVO getting absurdly hot since it will get no help cooling itself at all?

1. It's probably the height of the card, i.e. from pci-e port to the opposite edge. Look at how far said card extends past the pci bracket.

2. It will probably be okay with real work loads but might throttle during synthetics. I guess you could always use thermal pads to transfer heat to the back plate which might help.

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for cases which look good from all angles? I need to put a computer somewhere that it will be quite visible from behind, but all the smaller cases I've seen just have a metal sheet and loads of ports on the rear.

Admittedly it's a niche market and the reason for all-in-one pc's but I would quite like something that will be upgradeable.

Check out the FT03-mini, I guess.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

The cs01 (?) is nice as well. The one thing I don't like is that the cables come out of the top. The fan intake is at the bottom is at the bottom, but it's still a bummer that you can't have a solitary monolith with cables hidden at the bottom if you need it "clean" on all sides.

Do you want to have to flip your computer over every time you need to plug or unplug something?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Now they just need to build a bigger one. Right now I have a C7 on a 65W 5775c, but it wasn't so great on a 4790K. A taller version would hopefully perform even better than the C7. The engine 27 is in a strange place market wise because people who generally have <70W CPU's usually use stock coolers. On top of that, people like to use the biggest coolers possible for the space they have, and the engine is very short which is not a common cut off point, even for SFF builds. So they should scale up to cover bigger TDPs even if it means a little more height, because almost every build can support it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Wait, the C7 is supposedly rated for 100W TDP chips. Should I be looking at buying the Engine 27 over the C7, in spite of the lower wattage rating?

If you can fit the C7, you should probably just get that. Supports a higher tdp and is cheaper.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you're going with the Microcenter deal, the Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX is a good choice. Right now there is a $30 rebate with it, plus $30 bundle savings with processor.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/452369/Z170_Gaming_ITX-AC_LGA_1151_mITX_Intel_Motherboard

signalnoise posted:

What do you guys like for cases these days

My case pics are in the second post of this thread. Not much has change since I wrote it, unfortunately.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm using the Ncase M1, I like it but I made the mistake of moving my system to it w/o double-checking my GPU width. I tried for a long time to get it inside, and I was able to fit it inside the case, but there was no way for me to insert the card into the motherboard while inside. I could put in an older (smaller) card I have laying around, but I enjoy the absurdity of this setup.

Current plan is to replace the card with a stock 1080, put a hybrid cooler on it, and finally be able to close my case. The EVGA step-up queue can't last forever... right?

I finally got processed for mine after 3 months of waiting, and sent it out the other day. But I went for the ACX3.0 cooler version.

Whch video card did you have? I'd imagine its the FTW or Classified if its too wide. I thought the lower level EVGAs were just barely wider than the bracket itself.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't do well with just 6 bays because I'm all about RAIDZ2 with a total of 8 drives and a couple old SSDs living out their days of slavery retirement as cache or remote boot devices. Beyond 8 drives, things tend to spiral out of control with 12, 16, and 24 bays now becoming your typical choices and now you're trying to price out how much you're willing to spend on blank hotswap bays and caddies insted of more sweet, sweet storage.

Just how important is your anime collection? I used to back up to a of TV shows and movies but after a while I just realized I don't watch things more than once. Now I'm trying to slim down to just 2 1TB SSDs.

Also it seems like a single SSD is still safer than HDDs in RAID.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Ncase guys are floating a new concept. It's basically a Dan Case A4 with an integrated handle. Seems a bit silly to me, but the best part of their design is they're trying to source a cheaper and better engineered PCIE riser card/cable.

https://hardforum.com/threads/project-sidearmd-undecided-ncase-project.1917978/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

well why not posted:

I can understand the desire for handles. I always wanted a case with backpack-style material straps anchored to the bottom corners. That way it would be very light and strong. A steel handle seems a bit excessive.

I'm not opposed to a handle but you're going from 7L to 10L just to add a handle and a pair of 92mm fans. I'm sure there's a better way to do it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What's the smallest case that isn't garbage if I have a mini itx mobo, full size psu, and a full size video card (760)? Looking to adapt an old pc to an htpc type thing.

SG13B

Malcolm XML posted:

but the dancase PCIe extension is 3M's which is known to be amazingly good??? It can even do PCIe 4.0 which is pretty crazy

It is good and expensive but the way it's used, with the double axial turns, it forces the mounting port to be a certain distance away from the case's edge to accommodate the curve. What these guys are doing is including a small PCB which will let them relocate the turn and put it in a dimension that the space isn't as important in.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe RVZ01E?

Rvz01E is 14L, SG13B is 10.5L

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

That little pcb is likely gonna gently caress up the high speed signalling unless they get a good designer

I mean, there are a lot of other cases with PCB risers and/or shortrun PCI-E cables. I don't see how a good cable plus a very short PCB will cause a huge amount of disruption.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

well why not posted:

I'd like to see more SFF cases that only have room for short GPUs. The single fan 1060 & 1070 cards exist, there's really no need for a fullsize card in a smaller case.

There's always this. It uses a D.C. Power supply.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hutzy-xs-ultra-compact-gaming-case-4l.1894641/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

It says it uses a flex ATX power supply, essentially a 1U Server PSU, so it is AC.

Whoops actually meant to link the S4 Mini. How do you like it?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I would not.

You can get the HDPLEX 250W board and a Dell 300W power brick and you'll be just dandy. I think you can even do a continuous 350W from the Dell brick.

This is the creator of the S4 Mini's youtube channel. He covers a lot of stuff and seems like a pretty bright guy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

In the review it says it actually is an interchangable socketed processor, you can even buy it barebones with no CPU included. Or the cpu options are normal stuff up to i7-6700 as an option. I'd rather see a similar case that lets you install your own ITX mobo but that thing looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Well, they've hamstrung it with the 230W PSU anyway. If you're stuck with a 1060, you probably shouldn't get a i7. You're probably better off getting the case that Zero VGS is showing off, although its a lot more DIY. You should ignore the horrible green marbled paint job, you can get solid colors.

I like MSI's Nighthawk Mi-2 barebones, but they're hard to find now. They originally retailed for $300, but on Jet you could get it down to $260. They were rated for 300W, which couldn't handle a 980Ti, but can handle a 1080. You could put any Skylate CPU in, but they said it got a little loud with a 6600K or 6700K although a a 6700 was just fine.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Again, I like it, I just think there is some room for improvement on the execution.

They are non-standard parts with no standard mounting specs, I don't think a little velcro is that bad, considering the picoPSU/HDPlex have no moving parts. Hell, people are velcroing SSDs these days, it's no big deal.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've built three RVZ02B setups and there seems to be some instability in the last one, but it also is the only one with a video card in it. I play about 30 minutes of Minecraft on it and it shuts itself down cold. I'm assuming the video card is overheating. Is there a definitive place to find out that is what happened on the system? I was hoping there might be a log. I was going to try Furmark on it as-is and also with the case off and a box fan pointing at it to see if there is a change in behavior.

I was running on the damaged notion this system could work without a system fan. Am I mistaken? If so, what kind of fan(s) can I install to improve circulation? There isn't much room left to circulate anything!

Can you try swapping the PCI-Riser between Ravens? Can you swap other parts between systems to further isolate theproblem? Also, how are your temps looking? Fire up HWMonitor or Afterburner and keep an eye on them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did finally get to rip out the video card. Well, I first double-checked that it passed memtest by running it through that overnight. It ran all the tests fine, so my RAM looks okay. I pulled out the video card and switched to on-board video. It's actually working okay this way. So are the risers for the Silverstone Ravens a common issue? Is there a fairly simple, short stress I can run to expose problems with it more regularly? I'd like to be able to mess with it and tell if I made a difference.

I haven't seen any complaints about the riser, but it's not out of the question. However, since you have/had more RVZ02's why don't you swap the riser and see if that fixes anything? If you swap the riser and there's no change, you know its not the riser, but the video card or the motheboard's PCI-E slot. If you don't have another riser to test it with, you can always pop the motherboard out of the case and run the video card straight to the motherboard.

You kind of seem all over the place, trying to jump to conclusions. No one really monitors their PSU outputs, as we're not electrical engineers. You just have to do troubleshooting that isolate the potential problems.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 18, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have run some experiments on this setup and concluded that the everything starts to fail as soon as the RVZ02B cases' risers, but I'm not sure if it's the risers themselves I should blame. Is this a case where I should be more concerned about the motherboard?

I tried two different video cards. The new one is a Sapphire Radeon 480 without 8GB of RAM. I have a PNY Technologies GeForce 660 Ti from my old computer, and that only worked directly plugged in. It was a no-go with any riser. When I plug either card directly into the motherboard, they run fine. I was trying Unigine Heaven and 3DMark Time Spy. Also, I would just dabble around in modded Minecraft. However, the actual benchmarks were sufficient to knock a bad configuration on its rear end. One Time Spy run killed the machine roughly three seconds into the start. The crash was a hard crash. The screen would go to a solid color that was usually black, but I got a brown and an olive green too. Audio would cut out within about a second of the screen freezing. Num lock wouldn't respond on the keyboard.

When I used any combination of risers, the system would crash. It appeared to work longer in some configurations than others, but only directly into the motherboard worked fine. I tried with just the 90-degree riser; I had to unscrew the spacers so the PCI plug had room. I also tried with just the extended going directly into the motherboard without the 90-degree riser. That was bad too. Of course, both together was horrible.

I have two sets of risers to try, and nothing helped switching between them. The third is at my mom's house, so I don't have ready access to it.

I should mention that 3DMark Time Spy was a temperamental beast and didn't give me the best confidence. It wouldn't launch half the time. Unigine Heaven was fine though.

I guess I should also mention on-board video was fine. It played Minecraft just as well, actually haha.

This is my general configuraton:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW
Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case
Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Does anything stand out from the hardware parts themselves?

Edit: I have the fortune of having a Fry's nearby and will get a shielded PCI-Express extender cable for an experiment. I can understand there being a stability issue since the RVZ02B's risers screw into the case, but I am not really assured with having the graphics card hanging down off the end of that. The real killer to me is that there are some capacitors soldered on to those extenders. Both the vertical extender and the 90-degree adapter have some on them. Why do I need capacitors for that when nerds have been using extender cables without an issue? I guess I'll find out.

My guess is it's a power issue. The 480 is known for pulling too much power from the PCI-E socket. Adding the riser it pushes it even further out of spec. Perhaps see if you can use the newest AMD drivers and firmware for the card, and try turning on AMD chill.

Edit: You can also try contacting Silverstone directly and see if they have any thoughts on the matter.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 20, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Is there an easily available ITX case similar to the Dancase or Mcase? I have a Node 304 but would like to go smaller, but not in a console shape. I really hate the idea of dropping nearly 200 on a case, and also waiting.

Two 2.5 drives and a 2 fan GPU is my current setup, with a AIO 120mm setup for the CPU.

Sg13b

Man no one reads the OP or second post.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I like the style of the Silverstone FT-03 Mini, but I'm not sold on the one fan.

I have one, it's pretty nice but it just sits around empty. Unfortunately the old side panel design really choked out the video card, which was not a blower. I tried contacting Silverstone about getting a new side panel, but they never got back to me. Maybe I should try again. It's not super compact but it does fit an H60, which I also had for that build which is nice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

I saw some news on pricing for Kaby Lake chips. I'm wondering if they'll include thunderbolt 3 on Z270 motherboards, and if said motherboards would be available in mini-itx. A girl can dream....

Also, are there any, like, buyable cases that use a PCI-E riser to get around the thickness limit imposed by having the GPU jut out from the mobo? For that matter, is there anything for less than $100 that's significantly smaller than, say, a bitfenix prodigy or cougar qbx? And not a lovely home theater pc case with no room for anything

I would be pretty excited if mITX boards came with dual M.2 slots.

As for cases, the second post in this thread is up to date. ML08, RVZ02, RVZ01, RVZ01-E, and Node 202 are pretty much your choices.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The C7 will probably run cooler and quieter than the stock Intel CPU. You don't absolutely need it, but it's pretty cheap.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah I dropped it. I wouldn't have room in the 202 to put a Water-cooled GPU, would I?

Not with a GPU that big and not without modification to the case, but it can be done.

https://youtu.be/5RBi7wObZM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh, I totally agree that it looks great - I have the full-size Define S and like it a lot. But the Nano S has almost the same footprint as the full sized thing and is over half the height - it's smaller, but so that you still have room for airflow they're not doing much shrinking beyond the obvious reduction in the mainboard backplate.

I would never say its a bad case, but things like cable management are mattering less and less these days with previously onboard components moving to the processor and, you know, no longer using horribly restrictive ribbon IDE cables. I just look at it and see a lot of wasted space in the top right, enough space to fit a PSU and then make the entire case shorter. In fact, that's what an M1 is.