Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ali must be stopped. This is probably his best yet.

https://youtu.be/drJxRj3TipM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Here's the update and numbers on the You Cant Buy This build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBxEb_kcxE

Really wish this case was available. I've got some Plans™

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The ssupd Meshclicious is finally in stock. I picked up one to goof with for my HTPC/NAS/home server/seed box that has been in an insanely cramped and ancient Antec ISK 310-150 for uh... 9 years? I'm going to be using the storage bracket to shuck a few currently external 12tb HDs and make them internal, hopefully it will all look a bit nicer so the sig other stops sneering at the whole ugly setup on the shelf.

https://www.newegg.com/SSUPD-Computer-Cases/BrandSubCat/ID-212269-7

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

holy poo poo it actually shipped and is actually real, who woulda thunk

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm waiting on a few things from ol Amyzon to build it up, but first impressions are extremely positive. It is without a doubt the most premium feeling, well thought-out case I've ever used and i've used a LOT. Def doesnt feel like a janky kickstarter ITX case... which it shouldn't at the price (and it was actually designed and built by Lian Li), but it even beats the Bequiet/Fractal/NZXT cases I've worked in lately for just overall fit and finish. Tolerances are super tight, and the push-pins on all the panels feel great.

If you are truly a mad lad, you could even theoretically get a FTW3 in there (which i absolutely won't be doing):

Because my desires are more... unconventional. :twisted: :twisted: A little mock up with some old dummy drives. I think i'm gonna be able to make this work with 4 x 3.5 + the tuner card (that i probably won't actually use) by rotating the metal brackets meant for the video card. Might have to resort to some ol' Digital Horders Friend with double side tape on the drives in places, but should be fun regardless.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tbh i got an nvidia shield and i aint going back. android sucks incredibly bad, but the shield is very snappy and i like the AI upscaling. i wouldnt buy a PC for netflixing this days

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Romes128 posted:

Did the Meshilicious specs change since Ali did his review?

He mentioned in his review that his MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 would not fit, but from the spec page it should. Also the list I found on reddit says it should fit.

The MSI card is 323mm and the specs on the ssupd website says max length for the 3 slot config is 332mm.

I measured just now and ~322mm really does seem to be the max measured from the bracket, and that might be touching the top panel. I think the 332mm number would be measured including the bracket tab. The manual I got with the case says 320mm max length from the bracket.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Meshlicious is sandwich style and I can confirm will fit a 3090 FTW3 if u a bad enough dude (I was not)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NoDamage posted:

If I want to benchmark a bunch of CPU coolers against each other I should set a fixed frequency and voltage for consistency right? Otherwise temperature comparisons across coolers won't be meaningful because the CPU might boost to different speeds with different coolers?

Yup, and be aware that its real hard to actually get a lot of modern CPUs to actually listen to you. Even if you manually set clocks and voltages, disable turboing and P-states, and do everything else you can... sometimes they still dont want to listen and will be enforcing their own voltage tables and such. Its the reason GamersNexus went out and built a fancy CPU simulating heater for their cooler testing.

For doing your own home gamer tests, the manual setting stuff is probably fine. But if you are really trying to get scientific with it for like a big corporate purchase (or measure tiny details between like fan brands or something), all of that stuff matters. Youll also probably want one of the graphite thermal pads to test with to rule out paste issues, and a torque driver to make sure the mount is the same each time.

Also you have to share your data cause i will want to nerd out over it!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ServeTheHome has being doing a long series on the various tiny PCs from the big 3 OEMs, including some new AMD boxes. They can be good values used from corporate leases or on steep discount codes.

Here is a recent one with a Ryzen 4750GE, and all 3 are shopping 5000 series parts now too I believe:

https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-gen2-tiny-review-amd-changes-the-game/

https://youtu.be/Kr1tD6TEnek

The rest of the series is here:

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/tinyminimicro/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got an SF600 Platinum a few months ago and it had the individually sleeved cables and not the stiffies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cross-Section posted:

As a Meshlicious owner with a 280mm AIO installed I've actually been a bit disappointed with the end result

But at the same time the CPU's a 5900x and my room's ambient temp already hovers around 29C anyway :supaburn:

Zen3 is a different animal than pretty much every other desktop CPU (i guess until tomorrow!). With a 280 AIO, you will still see pretty high peak temps, especially if you have PBO/Auto OC on. I def do with a 5950X. It really doesn't matter how much radiator or pumpspeed you throw at it, youll still see like 80c+ peaks with PBO and 70c+ stock. The thermal density on the compute dies, plus the inefficiencies of heat transfer from silicon -> indium solder -> gold foil -> nickle plated copper heatspreader -> thermal paste -> nickle plated copper cold plate -> water limit the abilities to pull heat away fast enough. A lot of the time it can be more informative to look at the coolant temps to get an idea of whether things are working ok.

If they are higher than that, you may want to look to make sure you got good thermal paste coverage, a good waterblock mount, and that the motherboard isnt secretly upping the voltage with an auto OC setting when you turn XMP on. Zen 3 is a hungry wee bastard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/desktops-laptops/pc-components/cases/products/nzxt-h1-mini-itx-computer-case/11159691.html

NZXT H1 down to $150. I gotta think this is the final clear out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

used to be, when mATX was a thing

there are still a few on the market, but the wide scale death of mATX has limited the number of cases from actual brands

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811197012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

mATX motherboards aren't that rare, are they?

compared to the past, yeah. and you can make a compact ATX case very slightly larger (like the Meshify C), so why bother making mATX specific cases? space focused buyers are probably going ITX. so mATX ended up a bit of a no man’s land in sizes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there itty bitty AMD APU cases? Even if its OEM? I think Lenovo has some but who else?

Depending on how small you wanna go:

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/tinyminimicro/

Lenovo, HP, and Dell will all sell you a 1L AMD APU box.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that going to be loud?

We will see, but not necessarily. The Max is pretty thrifty, but you can get it to chug the juice in a dual GPU/CPU power virus style load.

The Ultra is theoretically just 2x a Max, which would still use less power than one of those silly gaming laptops, and it looks like the Studio has a much chunkier cooler than any laptop.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Meshlicious can fit/cool basically anything* too.

* there are def some 3090Tis that are slightly too long.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Romes128 posted:

I refuse to say Meshlicious irl.

really shoulda been "meshilicious" imo, but i do really like the case

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thats basically what i did as well! But I didnt make custom trays. Just played with the included GPU stand offs and was actually able to screw the HDs into the stock GPU standoffs. Used some plastic washers to space the drives out a bit, and put two 140mm Silent Wings in the front and its been great. Been running 24/7 for a year, only downtime being Windows updates.

Have had 4x 12tb shucked WDs in it in the past (with a boot SSD and extra 2tb 2.5in spinny), but currently on 2x 12s because I used the other 2 to build a friend a similar box. Currently using a 4790S, running Plex + seedboxing and the cheapo Dynatron industrial CPU fan never even spins up.

I went with Winders and StorageSpaces because im less comfortable with Linux and the point of a NAS is not trying out software things you dont really understand afterall, but i'm considering trying out TrueNAS and playing with docker and such when I upgrade. Which I have zero need to do, but I want to. Oh how I want to. Honestly the only thing I really wish it had was multigig networking, and thats just for the twice a month i want to pull an F1 race off of the NAS to my PC.

One bit of warning about the meshlicious though: with 140mm fans, if you live in a dusty area, your PC will develop a really good lookin set of Dust Honkers.

The good news is that its insanely easy to pull that front panel off and vacuum it or run it under the sink.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The bizarrely long game drought def isn’t helping the gaming revenue slump that the Big 3 all had, I imagine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/buildapcsales/status/1557520200672722945?s=21&t=3nSlI-lf_OBzVgxg1HnpsA

Not really competitive with the Meshlicious anymore, but made in the US and Sliger is generally very well made. Also the solid front panel and rad in the back might work better for some builds.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

That 500w PSU - yikes. Totally missed that one

edit: actually, good chance to ask, is a Platinum PSU worth the price over Gold if you're someone who leaves the computer on almost all the time?

If it is idling most of the day, assuming you leave the default power settings in place, it will likely make zero measurable difference.

80 plus Gold and Platinum testing doesn’t test below 20% of a PSUs rated load at all, and nearly all PSUs in the sub-10% load range are very lossy. Of course, in real terms, if your computer is only drawing 25w, losing an extra 8w isn’t really the end of the world.

Likely a better focus would be to get a good unit with a 10+ year warranty that you won’t want/have to replace with your next build. That would save significantly more money, energy, and raw resources in the long run, even if it is more costly now.

The calculus might be different if you are are running the thing Hogs Out 24/7 doing folding or something though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hypnophant posted:

Imo yes, especially for sff. The price difference is pretty minor now and maybe more important than the power savings, you get less heat in the case.

While true, people should know what to expect for the price difference. At 100% full load, the difference between Gold and Plat is 2%. 87% minimum vs 89%. And most SFF case designs smartly dump the PSU heat outside of the case.

All things being equal, I wouldn't spend a lot extra for Plat vs Gold. If the specific Plat unit has other things that make it more worthwhile in the long term though, like warranty or cables or higher capacity which makes you incline to keep it longer, thats likely the better choice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fair enough. Again, I’m not saying they are worthless, I’m saying people should know what the value for their dollar really is. Small, is generally the answer. If it’s super cheap or there are other benefits, great! But the difference between gold and plat, all other things being equal, is very small.

If the choice is between $50 for a PSU with a plat instead of gold or the next step up on GPU, the GPU is going to be the better option in my book 9 times out of 10.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e: wrong thread, poo poo! rear end!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The FE PCBs will be the same size as last time so guess its time to water block em and do a custom SFF loop. :getin:

(to be clear i wont be doing this because im a coward and SFF open loops look hard)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gay Retard posted:

Hooray, AMD saved SFF PC gaming.

7900XTX has a 20w higher TBP than the 6950XT and here are the powerdraws while gaming:

So not likely to beat the 3090Ti for highest all time, but likely 2nd most thirsty all time. Gonna want a SFF case that gets the GPU all fresh air to make it work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jonsbo N1 might be another good option if you don’t need the PCIe slot and it’s gonna be out where its seen.

I personally rigged up a Meshlicious with 4 3.5in drives and 2 2.5in, but it takes some work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VulgarandStupid posted:

Meshilicious. No joke. Someone on Reddit has 3d printer files for a 9 drive NAS.

The drives need to be done in 3s, I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comm...utm_name=iossmf

Dude's making my 4x 3.5 build look certifiably scrub tier, but i wanted to save the space for a 280mm rad and a 10gbe network card on a riser. Really gotta get access to a 3d printer someday, my library still doesnt have one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the king is at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fZOykkyjQ

Hope to see him do a liquid cooled version with a 7950X or 13900k eventually.

efb!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

u knew he was gonna do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCwDRzLHDk

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BBJm4bPVDM

this might be his first build where im not convinced its gonna like... work, ha

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ijyt posted:

Case designed around the shape of your components, so very hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMkQPIji08E

The only issue i see is that the GPU doesn't have much space to exhaust, and the exhaust is does have is angling back up towards the fans where its gonna get recirculated. Otherwise I bet it is cooler than nearly any other build you see. It's basically an open air bench afterall. Fresh air is king.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some popular cases:

Formd T1 V2
Louqe Ghost S1 / Raw S1
Cooler Master NR200
SSUPD Meshlicious / Meshroom
Ncase M1
Dan A4 SFX / A4-H2O
Fractal Terra
Sliger S620 / Conswole

Youll have to compare/contrast the specific GPU width and length numbers for all of em to make sure they fit and it will really depend on what card you go with. Top end air cooled cards can range from 360mm to 276mm, so theres a wide range.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah i generally use a Shield TV tube when I used to be on the road for extended periods, dont need to pack the remote because of the Shield app on the phone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Moey posted:

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?

I use a tiny $20 glinet travel router (also the way to handle dastardly bullshit hotels that only let you to have one device on WiFi at a time)

if you travel a lot, it’s a must.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Corb3t posted:

I'm tempted to scrap my above build for a friend and build around this instead.

The 7745HX will have roughly half the integrated graphics performance of the 5700G, as it is essentially just a Ryzen 7700X desktop part in a different package. For the basic games you listed (Minecraft, Sims 4, Stardew), that may not matter much, and the overall platform is much newer of course... but it might mean she ends up getting a stand alone GPU sooner.

There are rumors that actual AMD is going to bring their mobile APUs to AM5 with their larger integrated graphics blocks sometime Soonish.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Meshlicious/Meshroom are premium feeling cases from them. I’ve built in both and been really happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TenementFunster posted:

both cheap stamped steel designs. they stopped selling high end

Lian Li made its original name with the expensive all aluminum monsters, but they were mostly an aesthetic fad. the aluminum didn’t really make the case BETTER than the steel Antecs that dominated the market, just a little lighter and much prettier. the “high end” case market has mostly been for people throwing money away since forever.

the Meshroom/Meshlicious are definitely “premium” cases, with their original $150+ asking prices, good fit and finish, and adjustable designs. they may not be “high end”, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.